• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Them calling it a crime scene is interesting, like what the fuck is going on in that house

A search warrant is one thing, search warrant of an actual crime scene is another, unless a scene of obstruction is a thing

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I've reformatted and edited the OP, hope that's better...

Is there anything else I should add? I was tempted to do something on the whole "White Woman Syndrome" angle folks have, explaining my own personal take on why I'm interested, but I also felt that would possibly lead to derailing the thread.
I personally think this one should stay focused on the case and another thread should be made on the very important reality on missing women that are overlooked (especially indigenous women) if we think it's a discussion we'd like to dive into.

Oct 25, 2017
Another thing is that this case has been documented.

you have body cam footage from the police that talked to them. Someone who picked up Brian and footage of the van being parked not terribly far from where the body was found. Not to mention Brian and the parents just immediately refusing to help.

Oct 25, 2017
Them calling it a crime scene is interesting, like what the fuck is going on in that house

A search warrant is one thing, search warrant of an actual crime scene is another, unless a scene of obstruction is a thing

Most likely looking for any incriminating evidence. Also with it being a crim scene I'm sure the parents nor anyone else
Can come and go as they please or touch or disturb shit.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
It's also very inline with the rising popularity of murder podcasts happening in real time with a ton of crossover in the same medium. It's horrible, but I think there's a lot of built in audience culturally for this that has been built over the years.

Add into it the narratives of young white men being dangerous, the facade of social media happiness, the millennial experience of being in a can and traveling the country, and it's clearly touching a cultural nerve.
Yeah I agree. With the recent rise of true crime stuff in general, Netflix, podcasts, etc (of course the interest has always been there, just amplified now in internet age) plus the fact there's so much video, so much real time...everything, it has the armchair detectives in a tizzy, eager to speculate.

Nobody will admit it of course, but c'mon...Nobody really cares about the death of this girl anymore than any other girl that has been the victim in countless other similar cases. They just wanna solve the mystery under the guise of 'justice' for a poor young conventionally pretty white gal
Considering he was with her last, refused to talk, basically stole her car, yeah it was more than a missing persons case since day 1.
I think you underestimate how often things like you mentioned happen. This one just happened to get picked up by media and twitter

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
People bringing up missing white woman syndrome and her being a blogger/influencer etc, but let's not forget that the true crime vultures (especially on tiktok) have been obsessing over this case as well. People trying to get themselves involved by calling the cops and giving useless "tips" and treating it all as "a real life true crime doc". A bunch of randos trying to take credit for "cracking the case" and raking through all of Gabby's social media to "get to know her".

I'm not saying anyone on Era is doing this, but it's all over my tiktok feed and I'm not even interested in true crime in any way, shape or form. People are fully treating this tragedy as "fun content" to theorize freely about. Must be absolute hell for her family who should be allowed to grieve in peace.

this is absolutely a part of it. Since there is so much content on the couple for people to look at it has drawn a ton of people looking to draw their own conclusions on what happened. People looking for signs etc etc.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I've updated the OP which kinda answers this.
Just saw it, I'm sure there's some parameters that separate the two but as someone mentioned it's probably classified as a CS to keep the parents away, understandably there's no trust in that situation

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Yeah I agree. With the recent rise of true crime stuff in general, Netflix, podcasts, etc (of course the interest has always been there, just amplified now in internet age) plus the fact there's so much video, so much real time...everything, it has the armchair detectives in a tizzy, eager to speculate.

Nobody will admit it of course, but c'mon...Nobody really cares about the death of this girl anymore than any other girl that has been the victim in countless other similar cases. They just wanna solve the mystery under the guise of 'justice' for a poor young conventionally pretty white gal

I think you underestimate how often things like you mentioned happen. This one just happened to get picked up by media and twitter
Yup, basically this:

Zep

Jul 12, 2021
So let me get this straight..
The couple go on a cross country trip in her van.
He returns home without her…in her van.

And police in Florida deemed he wasn't worth following?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
The best "theory" I saw was that a wolf killed her and he freaked out. I mean... LOL
If an animal had attacked her, there would be so much evidence he wouldn't have to worry about being accused.
I know that it's a dumb theory, but hope is a hell of a drug, and it's not totally unfeasible to have something like that and him being afraid. I mean, how many times have people joked about "A dingo ate my baby" because of that one case before it was revealed that's what actually happened? Or even on HLN's Forensic Files there have been a few episodes of people (though I believe it was children in both episodes I can remember) where the victim was mauled by an animal (usually dogs) and the parents have been arrested before the truth had come out.

Though to be fair I don't think I ever really bought into the accidental death theory even if I was considering it a possibility, his actions were way to sus for someone who's fiance died accidentally.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
So let me get this straight..
The couple go on a cross country trip in her van.
He returns home without her…in her van.

And police in Florida deemed he wasn't worth following?
No they did not have enough proofs to incriminate him. Mind you, the context was extremely suspect. They were just following « the rules ».

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
I might have things confused.

He flew back to Florida.
Then he knew where to find her and drove home.
Did she go "missing" while he was away?

Update
I knew there was a time line, thank you for the events.

Last edited:
Timeline of Events

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Going to repost this from the previous thread for those who would like a timeline of events…

GABBY PETITO AND BRIAN LAUNDRIE TIMELINE

• July 2nd: Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Leave New York To Begin vLogging Trip In Van
  • July 5th: Arrive At Monument Rocks
  • July 8th: Arrive Colorado Springs
  • July 10th: Arrive At Grand Sand Dunes National Park
  • July 16th: Arrive At Zion National Park
  • July 20th: Arrive At Cedar Breaks
  • July 21st: Arrive At Bryce Canyon National Park
  • July 26th: Arrive At Mystic Hot Springs
  • July 30th: Arrive At Canyonlands National Park
  • August 12th: Arrive At Arches National Park
  • August 12th: Police Respond To Domestic Violence Report In Moab City, Utah
  • August 13th: Brian's Last Photo Is Uploaded To Instagram
  • August 17th: Brian Flies Back Home To New Port, Florida To Assist His Father With Clearing Out A Storage Unit
  • August 19th: Video Of Trip Uploaded To YouTube
  • August 23rd: Brian Flies Back To Utah
  • August 24th: Gabby And Brian Check Out Of Hotel In Salt Lake City, Utah
  • August 25th: Gabby's Last Photo Is Uploaded to Instagram
  • August 25th: Gabby's Final Phone Call With Mother; Says She Is Heading To Grand Teton National Park
  • August 27th: Communication Between Gabby And Her Mother Continues Via Texts
  • August 27th: Gabby And Brian Arguing At Merry Piglets Mexican Grill At 1PM
  • August 27th: YouTubers Jenn And Kyle Bethune Spot And Record The Van Parked At The Side Of The Road Near Spread Creek Disperse Camping Area In Grand Teton National Park
  • August 29th: Miranda Baker And Boyfriend Pick Up Brian At Colter Bay Village Outside Of Showers At Grand Teton National Park And Drop Him Off Near Parking Lot At Jackson Lake Dam
  • August 30th: Last Known Text From Gabby's Phone: "No Service In Yosemite"; Mother Thinks It Wasn't Gabby
  • September 1st: Gabby's Van Spotted Back At Brian's Home In Florida
  • September 10th: Joe Petito (Gabby's Father) Is Involved In A 'Public Service' Incident At Brian's Home In Florida
  • September 11th: Gabby Is Reported Missing By Her Parents
  • September 14th: Last Time Brian Was Allegedly Seen By His Parents
  • September 17th: Brian Is Reported Missing By His Parents
  • September 19th: Body Found In Grand Teton National Park; Believed To Be Gabby, Family Notified
  • September 20th: FBI Issues Warrant To Search Brian's Home; Parents Removed And Separated From Property
  • September 21st: Body Found In Grant Teton National Park Confirmed To Be Gabby; FBI Rules Death A Homicide; Exact Cause Of Death Still Awaiting Autopsy Results
  • September 23rd: FBI Issues Warrant For Brian's Arrest For "Use Of Unauthorized Access Device"

Last edited:

Boy

Apr 24, 2018

He flew back to Florida.

That's what i read too, I'm not sure how accurate it is. I read that he flew home earlier to help his parents move something, then he proceeded to come back to get the van?
Edit: Got my answer from the timeline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ulbrick

Ulbrick

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Nottingham, England

He flew back to Florida.

Read the below quote :).

Going to repost this from the previous thread for those who would like a timeline of events…

• July 2nd: Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Leave New York To Begin vLogging Trip In Van
  • July 5th: Arrive At Monument Rocks
  • July 8th: Arrive Colorado Springs
  • July 10th: Arrive At Grand Sand Dunes National Park
  • July 16th: Arrive At Zion National Park
  • July 20th: Arrive At Cedar Breaks
  • July 21st: Arrive At Bryce Canyon National Park
  • July 26th: Arrive At Mystic Hot Springs
  • July 30th: Arrive At Canyonlands National Park
  • August 12th: Arrive At Arches National Park
  • August 12th: Police Respond To Domestic Violence Report In Moab City, Utah
  • August 13th: Brian's Last Photo Is Uploaded To Instagram
  • August 17th: Brian Flies Back Home To New Port, Florida To Assist His Father With Clearing Out A Storage Unit
  • August 19th: Video Of Trip Uploaded To YouTube
  • August 23rd: Brian Flies Back To Utah
  • August 24th: Gabby And Brian Check Out Of Hotel In Salt Lake City, Utah
  • August 25th: Gabby's Last Photo Is Uploaded to Instagram
  • August 25th: Gabby's Final Phone Call With Mother; Says She Is Heading To Grand Teton National Park
  • August 27th: Communication Between Gabby And Her Mother Continues Via Texts
  • August 27th: YouTubers Jenn And Kyle Bethune Spot And Record The Van Parked At The Side Of The Road Near Spread Creek Disperse Camping Area In Grand Teton National Park
  • August 29th: Miranda Baker And Boyfriend Pick Up Brian At Colter Bay Village Outside Of Showers At Grand Teton National Park And Drop Him Off Near Parking Lot At Jackson Lake Dam
  • August 30th: Last Known Text From Gabby's Phone: "No Service In Yosemite"; Mother Thinks It Wasn't Gabby
  • September 10th: Joe Petito (Gabby's Father) Is Involved In A 'Public Service' Incident At Brian's Home In Florida
  • September 11th: Gabby Is Reported Missing By Her Parents
  • September 14th: Last Time Brian Was Allegedly Seen By His Parents
  • September 17th: Brian Is Reported Missing By His Parents
  • September 19th: Body Found In Grand Teton National Park; Confirmed To Be Gabby
  • September 20th: FBI Issues Warrant To Search Brian's Home; Parents Removed And Separated From Property

Already included the old thread post in the OP, but threadmarked this one and will change the link to this one.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know why the FBI is involved? Crossing state lines?

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I know that it's a dumb theory, but hope is a hell of a drug, and it's not totally unfeasible to have something like that and him being afraid. I mean, how many times have people joked about "A dingo ate my baby" because of that one case before it was revealed that's what actually happened? Or even on HLN's Forensic Files there have been a few episodes of people (though I believe it was children in both episodes I can remember) where the victim was mauled by an animal (usually dogs) and the parents have been arrested before the truth had come out.

Though to be fair I don't think I ever really bought into the accidental death theory even if I was considering it a possibility, his actions were way to sus for someone who's fiance died accidentally.

Yeah, but in that case didn't the dingo take the baby and she was never found?

CDX

Oct 25, 2017

He flew back to Florida.
Brian flew back to Florida on August 17th.
Her mother FaceTimed with Gaby on August 25th.

edit: I see the timeline was already posted above

Jun 10, 2018
Let's say the parents helped him 'escape' or whatever. What kind of punishment do you think they deserve? So many posts on here seem to basically imply they should rot in prison forever...it just seems so over the top. They probably didn't kill, or help kill the victim (nothing to imply that, anyway) yet you still want their blood. I mean, if they aided and abbeted, and he is in fact the killer, they'll possibly do some jail time, and that's that. Why do they deserve the worst?

It's weird
Your passive aggressive attempt at calling me out isn't going to change how I feel. I stand thoroughly by what I typed.

Also, your post expresses far more compassion for the Laundrie parents than the Laundrie parents themselves have exhibited for their potential missing daughter-in-law and her family since this has been followed. Their callous apathy is why I don't care for them.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
When was it confirmed to be her? Saw the below in the timeline post. I mean obviously all evidence seems to indicate that but didn't think it had been confirmed yet.
  • September 19th: Body Found In Grand Teton National Park; Confirmed To Be Gabby

Apr 25, 2020
When was it confirmed to be her? Saw the below in the timeline post. I mean obviously all evidence seems to indicate that but didn't think it had been confirmed yet.

Yeah saying it's "Confirmed" is not technically correct. The closest they've come is stating the body matches Gabby's description.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
I believe Gabby's stepfather confirmed on twitter (I saw a few headlines stating so), however, I cannot confirm.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think I read they matched the tattoos of her picture with the body but out of respect and I think protocol, they still need to "confirm" via DNA or get family to verify the body. Something like that.

It's all but confirmed to be her though. Sadly.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like cops messed up here with early warning signs.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I think I read they matched the tattoos of her picture with the body but out of respect and I think protocol, they still need to "confirm" via DNA or get family to verify the body. Something like that.

It's all but confirmed to be her though. Sadly.
Yeah, this is an awful outcome. I did watch the FBI conference where the man basically said they told the family and expressed their condolences. That pretty much says it, I just keep hoping that somehow it's not her.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That's a 36 hour drive, if you're going non-stop.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I still don't fully understand how he can have her van and it's not considered stolen? Or does it need to be reported as such first?

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
The bodycam from the moab police is already heartbreaking. Once more details come out its going to even worse im sure.

heartbroken

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
This case reminds me a lot of the Josh/Susan Powell case in Utah a while back. Wife goes missing, husband acts suspicious and won't cooperate, they call him a "person of interest" but also just let him leave the state, he runs away to Washington, ultimately ends up killing himself and his two children in a fire.

Not sure why the cops don't take these cases more seriously and let the "person if interest" run free. Makes no sense to me.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Once a search warrant is released, the area or item is a crime scene.

They could only have it for his backpack and it's still called crime scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
People bringing up missing white woman syndrome and her being a blogger/influencer etc, but let's not forget that the true crime vultures (especially on tiktok) have been obsessing over this case as well. People trying to get themselves involved by calling the cops and giving useless "tips" and treating it all as "a real life true crime doc". A bunch of randos trying to take credit for "cracking the case" and raking through all of Gabby's social media to "get to know her".

I'm not saying anyone on Era is doing this, but it's all over my tiktok feed and I'm not even interested in true crime in any way, shape or form. People are fully treating this tragedy as "fun content" to theorize freely about. Must be absolute hell for her family who should be allowed to grieve in peace.

Well said, there are absolutely ghouls out there who see this as "content"...gross.