• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
Some are obnoxious, some are legit funny. Really depends who's is it for, but yeah it's annoying.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
They are strange, but they did start somewhere. But if you see seemingly random fancams posted in popular twitter threads for no real reason, high chances are that it's a bot account. Yes, bot accounts for K-pop stans are real.
Oh man I see them for, like, everything not just kpop. Some are very very obviously bots, but I've seen some posted like that where I'm a solid 80% sure they're from a real person. Those are the ones that really confuse me lol

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
ITT grown people who have suddenly forgotten how to google things they don't know
[ Thread about basically anything new after 200X ]
bildschirmfoto2021-01qzks5.png

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
We stopped caring about them once kpop stans proved their usefulness in the resistance. It's so easy to let them do their own thing. We have more pressing matters to fix on social media.

it's funny cause this is literally what happened

people were complaining about kpop stans and fancams, then they started joining us in the battle for the nation, and i haven't seen a complaint since

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
ITT people posting for shit and giggles on a thread on a site for games and off topic stuff.
I don't think flaunting ignorance counts for shots and giggles. It makes the person look stubborn and trying hard to seem older than they are in a misguided effort to look cool ("I'm too old for this shit").

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not to be rude, but do people here just not google things they don't entirely understand? Is it upon the OP to completely inform you of stuff like this?

Yes that's how it works. Take OP also 5 seconds to add what that is.

ITT grown people who have suddenly forgotten how to google things they don't know

Yeah let's do that for every single thread. Someone asking how they can do XY in a game and everyone just answering "Google that shit". ffs. Are we back in the shitty community times or what? Only thing missing is people answering with www.lmgtfy.com

Oct 26, 2017
In my day it was kids doing anime montages with some random Linkin Park or Drowning Pool song.

Yeah... Now that I think about it.. the internet hasn't improved much since then

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
I know what a fancam is because I was into kpop fandom for years (and enjoyed several of them of certain boygroup members), but the current usage of fancam edits as spam on Twitter is pure wack.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I kind of embrace them, they crack me up most of the time because of their randomness and the fact that someone, somewhere actully spent some time editing something so exagerated

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
It's funny how obsessively collecting photos and videos of a 'regular' person is grounds for a criminal record and a restraining order, but doing it for a K-pop star is cute and cool and funny.

I think it's extremely unhealthy to be honest, and kinda weird.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
So a fan cam is just a series of clips or photos of a celebrity?
That would be an edit (which can include clips of a fancam). Most of what you'll see on Twitter now falls under this category, but the term "fancam" is used interchangeably nowadays because it originated in kpop where they are pervasive.

A fancam is a video of a celebrity being filmed by a fan during an event or performance. They can be edited and comprised of different clips, but they're usually videos of a particular moment.

In kpop, some fans will follow the idols pretty much the entire day with massive cameras filming them during their schedule. They have fansites where they post the pictures and videos, and sometimes they even sell photobooks as unofficial merch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand a thing about this thread but I seriously doubt tarantino sees himself as sexy in most contexts, especially when he's next to pitt.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Yes that's how it works. Take OP also 5 seconds to add what that is.

Yeah let's do that for every single thread. Someone asking how they can do XY in a game and everyone just answering "Google that shit". ffs. Are we back in the shitty community times or what? Only thing missing is people answering with www.lmgtfy.com

Does the title of this thread read "Can someone explain what a fancam is to me"?

No, it assumes you already know what a fancam is. If you don't know, maybe ignore this thread or just, you know, google that shit? Why would you be so desperate to involve yourself in a thread you understand nothing about, just to showcase how superior you are for not knowing about it?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random weirdos will basically spam videos of their favorite celebrities in unrelated Twitter threads - sometimes alongside actual comments on the subject matter at hand, sometimes without even that.

That allows those videos to rack up views, since Twitter has stuff on autoplay. I guess the weirdos then go meet in some dark corner and compare view numbers between their favorite celebrities or something, as if anyone actually watched that shit because they wanted to.

"Fancams" were originally videos recorded by fans during musical acts, focusing solely on a single member of a band during said act. This was mostly a kpop thing.

Then people started doing "edits," which are quick and shoddily-edited compilations of random clips from a single celebrity. I guess these are also being called "fancams" now because words have no meaning (and maybe also because you can't really record new fancams during the pandemic?).

It's more that Kpop fan culture has had a more general effect on internet culture as a whole. "stan" for example is a slang word that mostly started out being used in Kpop circles but has spread to more mainstream usage in the last few years.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does the title of this thread read "Can someone explain what a fancam is to me"?

No, it assumes you already know what a fancam is. If you don't know, maybe ignore this thread or just, you know, google that shit? Why would you be so desperate to involve yourself in a thread you understand nothing about, just to showcase how superior you are for not knowing about it?

Not even the OP was sure about that " Used by kpop stans to measure popularity, I think " so what are you trying to tell me here? Is this your first time in a forum? Since when is "Google that if you don't know!" okay again? Most people explain their topics with a short sentence. OP here is not even sure if he knows what a fancam is. Instead of telling people "Google it" tell them what it is. Not that difficult and some people weren't passive asses and tried to explain too. Yes you can tell people looking up things by themselves, but this is a community with threads and discussions in them. Nothing wrong with explaining what your topic is about.

Not even google has that one quick correct answer. It even has different meanings on there:

"For those who are new to K-pop fandom, a fancam is a video closeup filmed by an audience member during a live performance by a K-pop idol group."

" Fancams are when a fan goes around stalking celebrities with cameras and film everything they do. Most likely to be bad quality but some really good fancams might come in HD."

Huh?

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's just another way huge brands and companies get their fans to do free advertising for them. Tale as old as time when you think about it

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, fancams have gotta be one of the strangest internet fads. The idea of making fancams is fine, I can get that, but the usage of them is just so bizarre to me? Like, they'll be posted in reply to things that have absolutely zero relation to one another--or even the comment they're paired with, and always leaves me like ?????? It reminds me of bizarre clickbait ad videos but.... they're just fan edits being spammed for no reasons that I can tell beyond aesthetics???
Lol I've been coming to wonder if this is the point where I have to accept I'm now getting internet old.
That's a really good point, they really are like autoplay ads on shitty websites. A lot of websites even have permanent autoplay for every video on their page and its obnoxious

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
They're perfectly fine when being used to flood problematic trends in twitter. I guess the side effect is that it keeps it trending but it makes me laugh.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I've read almost every post in this thread and I'm still not 100% sure what a fancam is.

But the first response on Google questions is literally just one sentence and explains it better than any here.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For Kpop, it's to raise awareness of their favorite artist, but it mostly has the opposite effect. It is hilarious when used against white supremacy and other racist trends.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
All I've learned is that "fancam" can mean any number of things. The original use and meaning I now get, but this thread has been a trip. I can easily see why some are confused, which doesn't call for people being assholes.
This is what I'm talking about.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
It's super annoying, but you can report them. There is an option in the report menu that says something along the lines of "Uses the reply feature to post spam". I always do that when they pop up in the replies of an unrelated tweet. Usually I get the typical notification after a bit that some sort of action has been taken to the account.