• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
45-50 minutes for the demo. Like 10 minutes on the original if you know what you're doing. I'd give it maybe 15 for someone exploring because they haven't seen it before. The original feels like Cliff Notes compared to the new game.
Depends. If we're talking speedrunning it's not a huge difference. I think 11mins for original and 12 for the demo on easy. Though that's with remake's cutscenes being skippable, while you have to mash through everything in the original.
Damn, I just checked my save files and I've got 13 minutes at the No. 1 Reactor save point, and that's before the Guard Scorpion.

TeHi & BuSp

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
After seeing the demo, the way they stretched everything ... it still remains incomprehensible to me how SE wanted to divide the game into several parts

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Man I just want a Part 1 or an Episode 1 or a subtitle to show that it's not the entire story remade at the moment in this release.

People keep talking like this will make Square lose sales. For what? Final Fantasy VII remade with new graphics? They're going to make so much money that its ridiculous. People eat this stuff up.

"Look at the back of the box". Boy I feel really sorry for the poor Target/Walmart employees who have to continuously open the glass doors to get the game out so that a potential customer can meticulously read the back of the box to find that clarification. When they could easily just put it in the front.

Most of the people who aren't happy with the way Square is presenting this game aren't trying to make it fail or lose sales. Many of us are big fans of the game. I just think that Square should be better at its marketing when it comes to those who aren't poring over every trailer and interview.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of these arguments will evaporate if the game is as good as they're saying it is at launch.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
There's an option to either climb the stairs or infiltrate Shinra HQ directly.
That was the area I was referring to.
Isn't climbing the stairs one screen that is repeated several times with some dialogue about how long it's taking to climb these stairs? I really doubt they're going to flesh out or expand that location in any meaningful way lol

More to the point, Square hasn't shown the slightest ability in any of their recent RPGs of being capable of handling story, plot or characterization in any way that comes close to their peak 15-25 years ago.

I simply don't trust them to understand the appeal of all the varied parts that made FF7 special to all its fans. The small moments of melancholy, the humor, the feelings of nostalgia for places you've never seen or been to in real life, the way to pace story beats for impact...none of these are things that Square has proven capable of understanding or utilizing nowadays.

The rando additions like the weird ghosts to the scene with Aeris do not inspire confidence about their ability to expand a small part of the OG game into something meaningful or non-redundant in part 1 of the remake.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Can't wait for the game to finally come out so we can find out just how expanded Midgar really is and whether this game really has the same amount of content as a numbered Final Fantasy game.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I mean them expanding Midgar doesn't really tell us they didn't do the remake this way for profits.
Don't you know? Big companies make games with hundreds of people working for years just for the love of it. /s

jokes aside, they are misleading the public by not putting a "Part 1" in the title.
I guess they just think the general public won't even finish the game after 20 hours of nostalgia trip.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
damn, imagine if every OP that was disagreed with, misunderstood, or whatever else was simply erased

you took the time to spark this discussion, give those of us getting to it a bit later a chance to follow along!

Aug 28, 2019
I'm not particularly a fan of FF7, but I would have been somewhat interested in this remake if it hadn't been split into parts. I think spending 20-40 hours or more in Midgar sounds awful, to say nothing of how the rest of the story may be dragged out. Then having to wait years for an unknown number of full-priced chapters before the whole thing is finally finished? No thanks.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
My criticisms focus more on them stretching a relatively short prologue into a full length game and questioning their ability fill it with compelling, well-paced content.

I'm really intrigued to see what they do with this, 'cause the motorcycle chase and mech fight is an excellent End Of Act 1, but it's really not a great climax to a story. I'm hoping they add in something that can be fully resolved narratively within the scope of the single game.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
This has always been my chief concern since the game was announced in parts and confirmed that the first would be only Midgar. It's an important part of the game but it's also not a sizable portion of the original, like maybe an 8th of it.

Can't wait for the part of the remake saga that's only the Golden Saucer and it's basically just a minigame collection

Final Fantasy Remake Gaiden: Fortune Street.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The first post is empty, what are you guys even discussing about here, lol?

Oct 27, 2017
It's an unpopular opinion but i would rather have a graphically less impressive game just to get the whole story.
Ditto. What I wanted from an FFVII remake was a graphical upgrade and a better translation. The battle system was still good and the non-1:1 world map is fine. Now, we'll be lucky for the remake to be complete 10 years after announcement. If it does ever finish.

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
I just hope they clearly label it PART 1 in stores so people understand what they're buying

Status
Not open for further replies.