• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

The game has been floating around on twitter for a couple months now and looks damn incredible. Great to see that more folk will get hands-on with it in a couple days.

The deep-running currents of the Great Ursee hide the secrets of long-forgotten gods and ancestors.

The Falconeer is an airborne ocean-world fantasy RPG set in The Great Ursee. Take your armed aerial mount to the skies as you explore a bleak and hauntingly beautiful world, filled with wonderous locations and warmongering rival factions vying for the mysterious secrets hidden at the Ursee's unfathomable depths.

The Falconeer puts you in control of the ultimate airborne warrior. Delivering devastating ranged attacks and combining classic dog fighting mechanics with acrobatic twists and turns, you'll go wing-to-wing with rival Falconeers as well as large lumbering airships, flying beetles, manta rays and deadly dragon-like weavers

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
They're about a year old but there's some old gameplay footage kicking around online as well:

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Looks cool! As an aside, I've always wanted an actual Nausicaa-themed game. An impossibility I'm sure, but a game with excellent glider/flying mechanics, world, and story would just be... my dream.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Looks cool! As an aside, I've always wanted an actual Nausicaa-themed game. An impossibility I'm sure, but a game with excellent glider/flying mechanics, world, and story would just be... my dream.

That'd be amazing. I was a bit late to that film but it's pretty wild just how much media pulled from it.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
HI everyone , the developer here. stumbled upon the threats here on ResetEra
Here's a (albeit slightly out of date)uncut gameplay video,

This video was mostly about the audio and music, for which Benedict Nichols has signed on for. So it's mostly a straight run and showing off some of the music.

I see a lot of panzer dragoon and lair vibes. But I think gameplay wise, Crimson skies might be a better comparison. But in an open world setting a la freelancer.

After all the xbox announce hubbub dies down I'll probably have time to do some commentaries on the various gameplay mechanics.
For those going to X019 see you in london!.

Tomas Sala

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
HI everyone , the developer here. stumbled upon the threats here on ResetEra
Here's a (albeit slightly out of date)uncut gameplay video,

This video was mostly about the audio and music, for which Benedict Nichols has signed on for. So it's mostly a straight run and showing off some of the music.

I see a lot of panzer dragoon and lair vibes. But I think gameplay wise, Crimson skies might be a better comparison. But in an open world setting a la freelancer.

After all the xbox announce hubbub dies down I'll probably have time to do some commentaries on the various gameplay mechanics.
For those going to X019 see you in london!.

Tomas Sala

Looks good, fantastic music. Will definitely keep an eye on this!

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Game looks cool but that X019 trailer music choice is just awful! There is nothing wrong with the song itself, but I think it's just so incredibly cliche at this point that it just doesn't work in this context. I see this same style of song absolutely everywhere in movies, TV series and game trailers. You can play a "somber song, slow motion scenes or slow transitions" bingo and win every time.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
Game looks cool but that X019 trailer music choice is just awful! There is nothing wrong with the song itself, but I think it's just so incredibly cliche at this point that it just doesn't work in this context. I see this same style of song absolutely everywhere in movies, TV series and game trailers. You can play a "somber song, slow motion scenes or slow transitions" bingo and win every time.

I think at this point,nearly everything you do trailer wise is going to be a cliche. So I kinda feel what you'r saying;) I think If I went for a metal or techno track, then it would be just as cliche, but with a different emotion altogether. And in the end I didn't want a standard "action" trailer as well, or even worst default fantasy choir music;)

Sherry Dyanne who composed and sang this song specifically for the trailer added something truly special in my opinion to what could have been a quite generic action trailer. So I'm super stoked and grateful that someone that talented would use her voice for my game.

I think Its a matter of taste in the end. (I just had to stick up for the song and the trailer, hope you don't mind ;)

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
On the note of putting together media for the game: do you know if press will be capturing footage of the demo or if you'll be putting out b-roll for folk not at the show?

that's up to the publisher, and I'm not a 100 percent sure. But I think press will be allowed to capture footage at the show.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
I will also record and share a good selection of mechanics when I get back on YouTube.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Needs more dubstep. 😎

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Where's Will Forte?

79436d8695ec252184ebe771f0a77d09.jpg

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
Looks really cool! I'll be interested to hear ppls' thoughts after playing it at XO. :D

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
haha I bet
Does the game have HDR?

So HDR rendering , which most games now support is a different animal from supporting HDR Screens which is a bit more engine and GPU dependent.
HDR rendering is what the falconeer is doing at its core. And I believe HDR screen support is also available in unity3d now, so I don't see a reason not to support it. Platform restrictions not withstanding (xbox one supports HDR screens tho;)

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
So HDR rendering , which most games now support is a different animal from supporting HDR Screens which is a bit more engine and GPU dependent.
HDR rendering is what the falconeer is doing at its core. And I believe HDR screen support is also available in unity3d now, so I don't see a reason not to support it. Platform restrictions not withstanding (xbox one supports HDR screens tho;)

Let me amend that, "I'll do my best, but cannot guarantee it at this stage, but it looks likely"

Actually that should just be my general quote;)

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
Just a quick tease of some of the combat in the game. I haven't had time to upload anything proper on the action yet. I'll see if I can add a youtube version later. I'm in the process of getting some video gear for doing devlogs and such as well ;)

New gameplay footage

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019

In the video I'm just doing some basic combat, but I'm also controlling the camera between its 3 modes, default 3rd person follow, TargetLook and right-stick orbit. They all interpolate smoothly so you can have quite a bit of useful situational awareness from using it. Normally when I dogfight It gets a bit more hectic, but toned it down for the video. ;)

Also this is a placeholder mission,spawning a fairly simple X vs X amount of defenders and attackers.

You can also spot stuff and debris falling off from the larger and smaller airships, some of this is just debris, bits'n bobs falling off from the explosive splash damage, but you can also target specific sub targets and destroy them and have the remains drop, such as turrets or engine parts. Additionally these have a critical hit chance of exploding themselves upon destruction, causing damage to the parent ship.
On rare occasions you can actually have a cascade of exploding sub components.

Enfin, a look at the harder action , for the people that felt the trailer was a bit too light on it.;)

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

In the video I'm just doing some basic combat, but I'm also controlling the camera between its 3 modes, default 3rd person follow, TargetLook and right-stick orbit. They all interpolate smoothly so you can have quite a bit of useful situational awareness from using it. Normally when I dogfight It gets a bit more hectic, but toned it down for the video. ;)

Also this is a placeholder mission,spawning a fairly simple X vs X amount of defenders and attackers.

You can also spot stuff and debris falling off from the larger and smaller airships, some of this is just debris, bits'n bobs falling off from the explosive splash damage, but you can also target specific sub targets and destroy them and have the remains drop, such as turrets or engine parts. Additionally these have a critical hit chance of exploding themselves upon destruction, causing damage to the parent ship.
On rare occasions you can actually have a cascade of exploding sub components.

Enfin, a look at the harder action , for the people that felt the trailer was a bit too light on it.;)

Absolutely adore the camera movements; they make the game look incredibly slick.

And thanks for posting the youtube version, Twitter compression certainly did a number to that clip.

falconeerdev

Falconeer Developer
Verified
Nov 12, 2019
yeh twitter is quite good for games industry stuff, but I wish they'd allow fractional better video quality. it's horrid. and the audio,, brrrr....

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Is this completely in air or do you get to do something on foot like talking to npcs shops etc?