• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
Not going to lie: as someone who isn't really into the MCU and especially these characters, going from WandaVision to this is a massive downgrade.

I get that its not really a fair comparison, but WV is such a unique, character-building piece, while this just looks like any other MCU action setpiece. I'm far more into the idea of using Disney+ to let the MCU get weird.

With that said, though, it looks really well made and I'm sure people who love these characters and types of stories with adore it. And besides, I have Loki to look forward to, which looks much more "up my alley."

My thoughts exactly

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
They have you for at least 2 years:

WandaVision
The Falcon & The Winter Soldier
Loki
Hawkeye
Ms Marvel
Moon Knight
She-Hulk
Secret Invasion
Ironheart
Armor Wars
GotG Holiday Special

giphy.gif

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to lie: as someone who isn't really into the MCU and especially these characters, going from WandaVision to this is a massive downgrade.

I get that its not really a fair comparison, but WV is such a unique, character-building piece, while this just looks like any other MCU action setpiece. I'm far more into the idea of using Disney+ to let the MCU get weird.

With that said, though, it looks really well made and I'm sure people who love these characters and types of stories with adore it. And besides, I have Loki to look forward to, which looks much more "up my alley."

My hope is that D+ has a large mix.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
For Falcon's suit I think they're just trying to go for something more streamlined and akin to his traditional comic outfit.
Falcon-Captain-America-Marvel-Comics-h5.jpg

Would make his jump to wearing a Captain America outfit smoother too.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I wonder if Black Widow will premier on Disney+ since I hear both this and Widow play off one another?

I wonder if Zemo gets out of jail due to the Blip, reappearing outside of the pen or something?

I wonder if Patriot is going to be in this?

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Black Widow will premier on Disney+ since I hear both this and Widow play off one another?

I wonder if Zemo gets out of jail due to the Blip, reappearing outside of the pen or something?

I wonder if Patriot is going to be in this?
I feel like if they were gonna do that, they would have done it already. Now that the end is in sight and we are looking at theaters possibly being open in late summer (assuming we can hit something like 3m vaccines a day). Black Widow is prob gonna be what Tenet thought it was for theaters.

Oct 28, 2017
I was thinking about Sam and how he accepted Caps shield. Does he even possess the ability to even use it? Cap had superhuman abilities and Bucky has cyborg implants that give him the ability to do crazy stuff with it. But Sams a regular guy with normal guy reflexes and brain power which doesn't help him throw the shield very or fast or calculate cool bank shots. And Sam already has a bulletproof shield with his wings.

as a symbol it makes sense but in a practical light I don't see him as the likely inheritor. Time will tell.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also I find it funny we got what's basically the sequel of Civil War releasing right next to the sequel of Batman V Superman since those two were originally supposed to be out around the same time.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I was thinking about Sam and how he accepted Caps shield. Does he even possess the ability to even use it? Cap had superhuman abilities and Bucky has cyborg implants that give him the ability to do crazy stuff with it. But Sams a regular guy with normal guy reflexes and brain power which doesn't help him throw the shield very or fast or calculate cool bank shots. And Sam already has a bulletproof shield with his wings.

as a symbol it makes sense but in a practical light I don't see him as the likely inheritor. Time will tell.
We literally see him using it in the trailer.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, so I am not making it up in my head then? The entire trailer, I was like, 'just bang already.'

The UST (intentionally played up or not) is strong with them. When the VO of the therapist(?) asks why Sam agitates Bucky, he has this little smirk while he stares at Sam and Sam has a similar smirk.

chefskiss.gif

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
This looks so good, I'm hyped!
Unlike The Mandalorian the CG looks movie quality, not that that show's CG was necessarily bad or anything.

Nov 1, 2017
How evil/badass is Zemo in the comics? I'm not that familiar with him but his vibe in the MCU seems terrifying and I'm here for it.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder

GettyImages_1163272717_copy.0.jpg

Covid really fucked up a lot. We would be getting Shang-Chi next week

Wait, "What If?" is going to be part of phase 4? How will they integrate that? Now granted, I have not read any what ifs comics(or comics in general) since 90's, but weren't they always just spoofs and basically (sure, what ifs..) weird storylines that are completely disconnected from the main storylines?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, "What If?" is going to be part of phase 4? How will they integrate that? Now granted, I have not read any what ifs comics(or comics in general) since 90's, but weren't they always just spoofs and basically (sure, what ifs..) weird storylines that are completely disconnected from the main storylines?
They're stories that are in different universes, which fits perfectly with the multiverse stuff this Phase.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, not only is the mask purple, it's got vertical lines all over it. It would be kinda neat if it was deliberately designed by Zemo to evoke Thanos, but I'm not betting on it.

I won't be surprised if there are groups that worship the snap/Thanos or how the world was better without half the population. Zemo might be a grifter. After all he pushed the events of Civil War and the Accords to happen. He uses old Nazi/Facism tools like they're new again.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
kinda unrelated but that jump and punch at 1:21, I see that a lot in movies but is that an actual fight move? like has anyone done that in MMA or whatever?

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
kinda unrelated but that jump and punch at 1:21, I see that a lot in movies but is that an actual fight move? like has anyone done that in MMA or whatever?

Yeah, I trained MMA and JKD for about fifteen years and we used to practice it pretty often. There have been a few knockouts in MMA competitions with it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's just a cartoon using the What If motif in the MCU, it'll won't be integrated.

One of them is IIRC about Peggy Carter taking the super soldier serum instead of Steve Rogers.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
in the comics:
a guy that became the new Captain America when Steve Rogers was thought dead at the end of WW2. After he came back from being encased into ice, this one took the new name of US Agent

Edit: also yes is much more subservient to the american empire
No that William Burnside who was actually a Nazi.

marvel.fandom.com

William Burnside (Earth-616)

46 appearance(s) of William Burnside (Earth-616) 6 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of William Burnside (Earth-616) 8 minor appearance(s) of William Burnside (Earth-616) 11 mention(s) of William Burnside (Earth-616) 3 mention(s) in handbook(s) of William Burnside (Earth-616) 30 image(s) of William...

This is John Walker, a jingoist, racist asshole who took over after Cap dropped the mantle because he didn't want to be a government lackey with a government he didn't agree with.

Cap became both the Captain and the Nomad during this point.

marvel.fandom.com

Jonathan Walker (Earth-616)

John Walker was a U.S. Army veteran who went through the Power Broker process to enhance his strength in hopes of honoring his fallen brother. He joined the Universal Class Wrestling Federation as Super-Patriot until he became convinced to put his skills to better use becoming a super hero.[14]...

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
How evil/badass is Zemo in the comics? I'm not that familiar with him but his vibe in the MCU seems terrifying and I'm here for it.
He's been a major enemy of the Avengers and Captain America for many decades. His MCU incarnation as a (semi-sympathetic) ex-elite soldier was very different from his usual portrayal as an aristocratic Nazi supervillain

Helmut_Zemo.jpg

I imagine his MCU counterpart will remain a lot more grey and sympathetic even as he draws on more heavy comics elements.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
This seems like the dynamic between Sam and Bucky will be very entertaining and with Sharon Carter, I could see them being a solid core cast of the series. It already makes me sort of hope that they go for a second season since the potential seems like something that could continue alongside other MCU projects. Just carrying the mantle of TWS spy/espionage/political thriller vibe seems like formula that Marvel struck gold with, sort of like in the same way GotG and Thor Ragnarok tapped into a special sort of vibe, that it really does feel like it needs it's own lane to expand on.

Black Widow will be in that same lane, but since Nat has died, that feels like a sort of dead end. I wonder if we'll see Yelena here or where she will next pop up.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the dynamic between Sam and Bucky will be very entertaining and with Sharon Carter, I could see them being a solid core cast of the series. It already makes me sort of hope that they go for a second season since the potential seems like something that could continue alongside other MCU projects. Just carrying the mantle of TWS spy/espionage/political thriller vibe seems like formula that Marvel struck gold with, sort of like in the same way GotG and Thor Ragnarok tapped into a special sort of vibe, that it really does feel like it needs it's own lane to expand on.

Black Widow will be in that same lane, but since Nat has died, that feels like a sort of dead end. I wonder if we'll see Yelena here or where she will next pop up.

Isn't Yelena rumored to be in Hawkeye?

0h-so-Cold

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 2, 2020
Hawk's costume is a major downgrade from the MCU films. Guess budget went to all the CG
To be fair everybody's costume has downgraded since endgame. (Tony Stark died) I mean they had to be suited and booted for that event. This seems like they took the reigns back because they don't have Tony's funding anymore?

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen people write this off as just being all shallow action after the weird character driven stuff of Wandavision, but it seems to be that it being a political thriller but also a series makes it more likely that they'll have more intrigue, suspense, and tension than they got to have in a movie like TWS. It should be awesome as a show. I didn't see much of the series 24, but I think it probably would be a likely sort of similar vibe this will be going for but with MCU action.

Plus if we get what I think they are going to explore with John Walker and Isaiah Bradley and not only the untold history of Captain America but also of the super soldier Weapon Plus program, this should be a juicy show. That's not even getting into Zemo and the potential of laying the foundation for the Thunderbolts.

I don't know if my expectations are too high, but I think people are going to be blown away.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
They are keeping things very close to the chest regarding the plot. I can't wait to see where they go with this!

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people write this off as just being all shallow action after the weird character driven stuff of Wandavision, but it seems to be that it being a political thriller but also a series makes it more likely that they'll have more intrigue, suspense, and tension than they got to have in a movie like TWS. It should be awesome as a show. I didn't see much of the series 24, but I think it probably would be a likely sort of similar vibe this will be going for but with MCU action.

Plus if we get what I think they are going to explore with John Walker and Isaiah Bradley and not only the untold history of Captain America but also of the super soldier Weapon Plus program, this should be a juicy show. That's not even getting into Zemo and the potential of laying the foundation for the Thunderbolts.

I don't know if my expectations are too high, but I think people are going to be blown away.
This is why I'm still hopeful for this show despite the past 2 trailers seems to give off the usual MCU vibe that doesn't seem to be anything ground breaking or new. I'm sure they are keeping all the interesting plot/character elements close to their chest for a good reason.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
As someone who really enjoyed the rapport of Bucky and Sam in Civil War, this... I don't have a good feeling about this show. There's been something weirdly formulaic and aimless about both trailers for this show that I can't put my finger on.

Seeing Zemo back could be cool I guess. Sharon Carter returning is a total flatline for me.

WandaVision has been great, and I've liked the MCU, so I'm certainly open to being proven wrong. I wonder if they'll bother explaining how Sam is going to take up Cap's mantle when he isn't superhuman.