• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess us agent while not as conservative as he is in comics but will be the order following asshole he is. While captain america has worked with the use government he never followed orders he morally apposed. Pretty much what the winter solder movie was about. I think us agent will do something he will ordered to do that's morally objectable which will cause sam and bucky to act.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe people are also on their phones as they were watching this episode to have so many people miss key and obvious parts of the story narrative. Or people simply just don't pick up on things unless it's drawn in crayon

This is always the funny thing about MCU threads. 1/3 complaints about a lack of subtlety, 1/3 confusion about subtext.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy how tonally different this show is to WandaVision.

Not that I care, first episode was great. One of the top action scenes ever for Marvel. But if WandaVision was one end of the whole "Let's get weird", this is super grounded.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
He's using a stupid blanket statement is what he's doing. The context is almost irrelevant in the way he's throwing it out like it's a truism applicable to every scenario.

You're free to disagree with my interpretation though.

Context is never irrelevant. You're choosing to ignore context so that you can treat it like a blanket statement.

He's throwing it out like a cynic who had seen his community be exploited, then subsequently discarded during power shifts.

Last edited:

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I don't even mean that, i just mean stuff like, for instance, the scene at the bar when old guy is talking about his dead son and Bucky makes that pained expression - we get the implication that Bucky is the one who killed him and he's hanging out with him out of guilt. But then the show goes on to make it super clear with more explicit statements from the bar tender and such, the shot of the notebook, etc, the show starts screaming at you that Bucky did it when the first scene at the bar was sufficient.

there are multiple scenes regarding Sam where characters are saying outloud what Sam is feeling inside, too. It's kind of silly.

I get what you're saying, but I have seen so many comments across the web about people who didn't pick up on the racism or didn't pick up on Bucky killing his friend's son until they saw the shrine.

The MCU audience is broad as can be, which unfortunately doesn't leave a lot of room for subtlety.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
This is always the funny thing about MCU threads. 1/3 complaints about a lack of subtlety, 1/3 confusion about subtext.

Semi-related, but when Bucky kept saying that he didn't have nightmares, I took it to mean that he doesn't count them as nightmares; he counts them as flashbacks. I didn't see anyone bring that up here, probably because that was the obvious implication, but now it feels like maybe it's not so obvious.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even mean that, i just mean stuff like, for instance, the scene at the bar when old guy is talking about his dead son and Bucky makes that pained expression - we get the implication that Bucky is the one who killed him and he's hanging out with him out of guilt. But then the show goes on to make it super clear with more explicit statements from the bar tender and such, the shot of the notebook, etc, the show starts screaming at you that Bucky did it when the first scene at the bar was sufficient.

there are multiple scenes regarding Sam where characters are saying outloud what Sam is feeling inside, too. It's kind of silly.

The "subtley" discussion comes up in every marvel thread. The beats that are obvious to you simply won't be obvious to a significant portion of the audience. Even things that are explicitly spelled out, get routinely missed. You'll see it in this very thread.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
The "subtley" discussion comes up in every marvel thread. The beats that are obvious to you simply won't be obvious to a significant portion of the audience. Even things that are explicitly spelled out, get routinely missed. You'll see it in this very thread.
We had several people in the WandaVision thread that were so confused about the "Scarlet Witch" moniker and were sure she'd been called that somewhere in the MCU despite the show having an extremely blunt scene making it very clear that that had never happened.

Just backing up your post with what I think was the most extreme example of this from the WV thread.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I would rather him just be a tool than an asshole. I want it to be clear that the system is at fault, not him specifically.
As one poster mentioned the inherent problem is that the more you lean into that angle the more it weakens Sam's journey into becoming I need to replace this guy.

It is a tough balancing act and since this show is more of an action show there is more risk they won't get that balance right.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Are people under the impression that Sam Wilson is supposed to be a native Arabic speaker?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Are people under the impression that Sam Wilson is supposed to be a native Arabic speaker?

People obviously don't expect full fluency but if you're going to have someone speak another language, it should at least sound like it. Or have a reference ready for the actor to copy.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I would rather him just be a tool than an asshole. I want it to be clear that the system is at fault, not him specifically.

I think i'd prefer him be the asshole.

Steve Rogers' Captain America was originally used a propoganda agent chosen to highlight how American values contrast with those of the Nazi's.

Overtime, Steve Rogers grew disillusioned with the American government, because pulling off the cloak revealed that the values championed publicly didn't align with reality.

Today in America, far right policies like white supremacy, theocracies and police states are glamorized as patriotic, while ideals like true "liberty and justice for all" are denigrated as communist innuendo. The person selected as the propaganda agent to replace Cap would be a soldier who would vote for Marjorie Tyler Green. The "system" would choose someone who fits the mold, because the people who believe in the status quo are who give the system power.

Last edited:

Entryhazard

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We had several people in the WandaVision thread that were so confused about the "Scarlet Witch" moniker and were sure she'd been called that somewhere in the MCU despite the show having an extremely blunt scene making it very clear that that had never happened.

Just backing up your post with what I think was the most extreme example of this from the WV thread.
or why a certain character was arrested in the end lol

Last edited:

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
This show be like:
6UFmQn5.png

Some people: I just don't see it!

It really does feel like this show is being watched by two different Americas.

I'm seeing some people on social media reacting with "Wow, that was pretty in your face, they're not being subtle at all."

But then there's a pretty sizable contingent also saying "You're seeing something that's not there and gaslighting the rest of us."

So yeah, I'm actually really fascinated by this reaction, because we certainly didn't get this kind of divide with Wandavision, but now we're seeing some people already saying, "I just want to see my heroes fight injustice, I'm out if this is going to be a political show."

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
but now we're seeing some people already saying, "I just want to see my heroes fight injustice, I'm out if this is going to be a political show."
Because the only kind of injustice that exists is personal. It's the only societal interaction that is just arbitrarily immune to group dynamics! /s

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020
So yeah, I'm actually really fascinated by this reaction, because we certainly didn't get this kind of divide with Wandavision, but now we're seeing some people already saying, "I just want to see my heroes fight injustice, I'm out if this is going to be a political show."

Meanwhile they'll be completely ignoring the total contradiction that statement is making.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For ppl that like to break things down on such a micro level.....that this is still being talked about is beyond wild.

The guy denying the loan but still asking Sam for an autograph couldn't have been more blunt. I await when it becomes more obvious in the later episodes to see what ppl will say then....

Re watching all the MCU movies right now, and I was shocked at how many ppl got literally killed by heroes. MCU, Disney give no fucks. I like it.

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't mind. I just think it'd be a funny interaction in a future Avengers movie. Peter would be like, "Uhhh...hey guys ever thought about using stun guns?"

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

Quite frankly given how much people today seem to miss or not understand the most extremely basic plot points (just look at WandaVision) I can see exactly why they feel the need to spell it out clearly.
Look at how much people fail to understand the bank scene, a scene I thought was fairly heavy handed.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I lowkey expected all the Avengers to be millionaires at least, but I get what the topic is supposed to be so I'm just choosing not to think about the logistics of it and take it at face value.

Really enjoying the show so far.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Semi-related, but when Bucky kept saying that he didn't have nightmares, I took it to mean that he doesn't count them as nightmares; he counts them as flashbacks. I didn't see anyone bring that up here, probably because that was the obvious implication, but now it feels like maybe it's not so obvious.
I think he was just lying to his therapist since we see him lie to her multiple times about what he says to her versus the reality and she straight up says that they've been doing this long enough that she can tell when he is lying and we see him waking up from the nightmare.

The thing is that the therapist also spells it out that Bucky says he did all the steps correctly (which he didn't) and it was supposed to help with the nightmares, which it might not have since it didn't do it right. The thing is that we do also see that he is making some progress because he tells the truth about admitting to being the Winter Soldier and making amends to the Senator, even if he didn't do it the right way.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How is it bad? This happens to thousands of POC every single day. That exact scenario is the daily experience of people who live around you.

I will provide you a personal anecdote as a black woman from a black family. We hate asking for help. We hate receiving help. If we can do it ourselves, we do it. If we can't, we are stingy about the help we receive. We don't want hand outs. We want to be able to say we did it on our own.

The world has created barriers that we cannot cross because the systems are built to limit us.

This is what that scene is depicting. The way white people tokenize black people and admire them for superficial things but in the same breath reject them from opportunities.

The only reason I can imagine why you cannot understand this scene is because you are incapable of putting yourself in the position of a POC dealing with systemic racism.

As a Korean, I know many Koreans hate to use banks for loans etc, most likely a language barrier, But I'm guessing there is some racism mixed in. Koreans keep the loaning within the community's. My mom always called it 'K game'. Basically you have a group of 20-25 Koreans. Those that need money sooner end up paying into it more (so basically a loan). Those that can stand to wait on money, end up putting less overall.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Ok but my arabic speaking family had no idea wtf he said. Like it was an entirely different language and they had no idea what it was supposed to be.

They could at least try with basic shit like that, but the middle east and arab nations basically only exist in most western fiction to provide battlegrounds for American heroes. There's comparitavely very little effort that goes into making them feel like real places with real people and cultures.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
First episode was pretty good. I thought the action sequence at the beginning was a bit stupid. That Torres guy cheering in the middle of the desert alone was like "okay...."

I like Mackie as an actor after Altered Carbon, but his acting matches a bit better for a more "grounded" role like this. I'm not sure I get the obsession with the boat just yet, they needed to sell that emotional connection more.

bucky's story so far was good.

The episode was like an 8/10 for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Torres being able to follow Falcon in a jeep was pretty funny. And then he ends up at the border the same time Falcon does. As was Sam being briefed on the mission moments before it was set to begin. TV is magical.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
I'm honestly surprised that I haven't seen more people taking the bartender's "I'm reading your mind" joke as a reference to mutants.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017
I do recall reading somewhere that some Marvel movies had some collaboration with the US military.

I think it was the earlier Iron Man films mostly and Captain Marvel. I don't fully recall.

I think any Hollywood movie that portrays them has to have them involved or some shit.

I always thought it was a PR move for the military. As long as a movie does not portray the military negatively, the military will let them use their tanks, helicopters, and planes to film scenes.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to rewatch the therapy scene. That's was a hell of a piece of filmmaking and acting. If the rest of this series has moments that good we are in for a treat.