• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm kinda stunned anybody could call this filler or whatever when almost all of the entire episode was essentially a character study of the two leads and obviously presenting what the themes of the show as a whole are.

Bucky's stuff is about him coming to terms with his time as the Winter Soldier and the consequences of that. Mainly both guilt and PTSD. Real issues for a lot of people.

Then you have all of Sam's scenes leading to the 1-2 punch of the bank scenes where he's still just a black man in America and the new Captain America reveal.

This stuff is *very* on the nose and somehow some people either missed it or didn't care.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
So when Sam and Torres are reviewing the video and Sam asks "did anything else happen?" and Torres asks "wait you don't think he's--"

They're talking about mutants, right? They're tracking mutants and that's why Sam wanted to know if "anything else" happened like laser eyes or controlling the weather or whatever.

lmao

I'm gonna laugh at their attempts to disguise it. They always think they're very subtle with their "concerns".

We've already got people bending themselves into pretzels trying to logically rationalize between the bank teller not granting a superhero a bank loan and the US government sliding Cap's name and shield to John Fuckhead Walker. Not just here but I've seen it elsewhere as well like from a couple Youtubers.

Subconscious bias means a lot of people that don't already come in knowing about the racial theming are gonna make it fly over their heads rather than confront it straight. So yeah, expect this to be "fun".

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So when Sam and Torres are reviewing the video and Sam asks "did anything else happen?" and Torres asks "wait you don't think he's--"

They're talking about mutants, right? They're tracking mutants and that's why Sam wanted to know if "anything else" happened like laser eyes or controlling the weather or whatever.

Yes and Mephisto was the mastermind

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
We've already got people bending themselves into pretzels trying to logically rationalize between the bank teller not granting a superhero a bank loan and the US government sliding Cap's name and shield to John Fuckhead Walker. Not just here but I've seen it elsewhere as well like from a couple Youtubers.

Subconscious bias means a lot of people that don't already come in knowing about the racial theming are gonna make it fly over their heads rather than confront it straight. So yeah, expect this to be "fun".
It's super clear the government straight up lied to Sam and manipulated him.

It also makes Steve's argument in Civil War about not trusting the government stronger. Sam should have understood that.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What if all the other Avengers literally got paid except for Sam because he never thought to ask for a paycheck and W-2

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it, liked it
Nice tone, enjoyable pace for a first episode
Already mad I gotta wait until next week for the next episode

MEPHISTO

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
lmao

I hope they go in hard with it.

I also think it's funny that an unintended reveal of the bank scene is that Tony was apparently only paying the Avengers in exposure, and didn't help the families of the ones that got snapped.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda stunned anybody could call this filler or whatever when almost all of the entire episode was essentially a character study of the two leads and obviously presenting what the themes of the show as a whole are.

Bucky's stuff is about him coming to terms with his time as the Winter Soldier and the consequences of that. Mainly both guilt and PTSD. Real issues for a lot of people.

Then you have all of Sam's scenes leading to the 1-2 punch of the bank scenes where he's still just a black man in America and the new Captain America reveal.

This stuff is *very* on the nose and somehow some people either missed it or didn't care.

Yeah I'm really not sure what some other people watched. I thought this was great. If anything, giving more character to both of them as this opens is a necessity. I've said it before, especially in the case of Bucky, who has really only ever been a plot device in the movies he was in and not given a chance to actually be a character. But LET'S GET IMMEDIATELY TO ACTION WITHOUT ANY SET UP I GUESS.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I hope they go in hard with it.

I also think it's funny that an unintended reveal of the bank scene is that Tony was apparently only paying the Avengers in exposure, and didn't help the families of the ones that got snapped.
I have to imagine there was an Avengers credit card with no credit limits attached that Tony was bankrolling.

How were any of these people surviving with no actual jobs?

Belfast

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm really not sure what some other people watched. I thought this was great. If anything, giving more character to both of them as this opens is a necessity. I've said it before, especially in the case of Bucky, who has really only ever been a plot device in the movies he was in and not given a chance to actually be a character. But LET'S GET IMMEDIATELY TO ACTION WITHOUT ANY SET UP I GUESS.

The very advantage of a tv show like this (and Wanda) is that unlike the movies, you have plenty of time to explore these characters and give them depth which makes the whole Marvel Universe that much richer. I can't believe this would need to be said, either. And that's after opening with a feature film class action sequence!

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wanda doesn't have a job so how she affording a rental car and gas?

There has to be some sort of Avengers account and Sam wasn't a part of it or whatever. The entire MCU doesn't really make sense otherwise.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really great episode. This show is gonna be incredible.

One thing though. Unless old Steve has somehow passed away in the weeks/months since giving the shield to Sam... wouldn't he, like, almost certainly have something to say about what the government is trying to pull with John Waker? It's gonna be weird if he doesn't make an appearance now. I thought for sure in the first scene that Sam was suiting up for Steve's funeral.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

They are talking about Enhanced Humans. Specifically if he might be like Bucky.

Don't overthink it.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Really great episode. This show is gonna be incredible.

One thing though. Unless old Steve has somehow passed away in the weeks/months since giving the shield to Sam... wouldn't he, like, almost certainly have something to say about what the government is trying to pull with John Waker?

I think Old Steve probably retired somewhere and is staying out of it. I don't think he's dead, on the moon, working with Nick Fury or the like.

He is just sitting in his Brooklyn apartment living his mundane life, trusting in his friends to continue his legacy.

With the rumors that Chris Evans is open to a return, I suspect we will see him again. Maybe not in this show, but somewhere down the line.

Oct 26, 2017

We need an Avengers styled History Channel Aliens meme. Preferably someone in universe saying mutants.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

Nah, they were just talking about the Big Three.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'd have legit asked Tony for a million, especially after Ultron if I were Sam
Or I'm asking the US government for huge pay days for rescuing soldiers while dodging everything thrown at me

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Old Steve probably retired somewhere and is staying out of it. I don't think he's dead, on the moon, working with Nick Fury or the like.

He is just sitting in his Brooklyn apartment living his mundane life, trusting in his friends to continue his legacy.

With the rumors that Chris Evans is open to a return, I suspect we will see him again. Maybe not in this show, but somewhere down the line.
On one hand I get it, but on the other I'm just picturing Steve's reaction after giving up his entire life because of that shield. Then again I suppose he already lived a full lifetime with Peggy and could be emotionally detached from it now. I dunno. Just seems weird to think he's out there alive with this going on and Sam isn't even going to talk to him about it.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I liked that doesn't seem to be taken from the comics is Sam and his family being from Louisiana (being from Louisiana myself). I wonder if that was inspired by Mackie who grew up in New Orleans. It threw me off when the banker was being weird not recognizing him and asked if played for LSU. You can also see an LSU pennant in his room at the beginning where he's getting dressed.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I remember during the party scene in AoU I said if gladly pay to see a 2 hour movie or just the Avengers doing everyday things
There seriously needs to be more media out there that's just stories about superpowers with zero or at least sparse villains. Just slice-of-life stuff and how superpowers intersect with it. There's literally only one example I even know of, and it's an anime/manga.

Yeah. And don't forget:
"What's up regular sized man?"
This joke slays me every time.

Honestly it's the chinstrap.

I get the idea of it but it pushes the chin up and makes the face scrunch. It did similar to Evans in First Avenger.
I always thought Cap's helmets looked massively worse without the chinstrap. The lack of it makes them look so... fake and cheap, somehow.

But LET'S GET IMMEDIATELY TO ACTION WITHOUT ANY SET UP I GUESS.
People really don't get that the crux of good action is the character dynamics involved, eh.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Really impressed by this so far, super excited to see how they use the TV model to flesh out characters between the films. It feels like it could approach the comic book model, with the films being the big tie in events and TV taking on the character comic runs. Not sure it will be as large as comics obviously, but it allows them to explore more varied themes and spend time on the slower moments like dates and applying for bank loans. Cool stuff. And with a real budget too!

Anyone else feeling like the blip is a little too familiar a theme now? The speech Sam gave when donating the shield hit way harder than I expected it to, and probably wouldn't have at all if the last year hadn't been what it was. I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily, but maybe they tread cautiously around the stuff. I'm sure they're aware of the parallels.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
It's completely unbelievable that Sam wouldn't have an easy way of making An income, racist bank employees or no. Option a movie, write a book, sell action figures, get paid $150,000 dollars to talk to Goldman Sachs about heroism, whatever. The Avengers are too marketable in-person for this to be a plausible plot point.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
We need an Avengers styled History Channel Aliens meme. Preferably someone in universe saying mutants.

bwU4r.gif

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God damn, I'm surprised how livid I was when faux cap walked up. I knew it was coming and it still made my blood boil. I'm really happy to see Sam and Bucky's other relationships expanded on. That shit with the bank was blatant and painful.

Uh... what?
Dipshits nitpicking inconsequential details early in the Agents of Shield run.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone else feeling like the blip is a little too familiar a theme now? The speech Sam gave when donating the shield hit way harder than I expected it to, and probably wouldn't have at all if the last year hadn't been what it was. I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily, but maybe they tread cautiously around the stuff. I'm sure they're aware of the parallels.
They're fully aware of the parallels. There's an interview out there with Feige where he says they didn't want the Blip to be this big thing that is forever referred back to like the Battle of New York was from Avengers 1, and then COVID happened. The actual world went through a global catastrophe and they decided it would be better to keep the Blip around and explore the consequences.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Episode 1 is so good. These TV shows are the best of the MCU. I didn't know how much I needed Sam to apply for a bank loan.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're fully aware of the parallels. There's an interview out there with Feige where he says they didn't want the Blip to be this big thing that is forever referred back to like the Battle of New York was from Avengers 1, and then COVID happened. The actual world went through a global catastrophe and they decided it would be better to keep the Blip around and explore the consequences.
Interesting, thanks for expanding as I generally don't keep up with the interviews.

I'll just say as far as this episode went, I thought it was handled well. Crazy coincidence that it ended up this way.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it. Definitely faster paced than WandaVision. I can't wait for next week's episode.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Also really like the new characters, mostly Sam's sister Sarah and Bucky's counselor.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
It's completely unbelievable that Sam wouldn't have an easy way of making An income, racist bank employees or no. Option a movie, write a book, sell action figures, get paid $150,000 dollars to talk to Goldman Sachs about heroism, whatever. The Avengers are too marketable in-person for this to be a plausible plot point.
Exactly which is why I come back to The Boys, a highly popular tear down of superheroes albiet aimed at DC, both in comics and tv. There its entirely about fame and fortune. People changed their own children for a shot. It feels like Disney is making a concerted effort to not do that, but it leaves some major believabilty plotholes.