• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
genuine question: do you read Marvel comics?

I really liked this aspect of the show, because it shows a humanity. Marvel - at least in the comics, has been described as "humans trying to be super heroes"; there's usually an element of the challenges of being a human and that's what characterizes their comics. In the movies, it's been left a little by the wayside, but in these shows, there's more time to explore that.

Just curious more than anything.
It's funny. I used to role play on several different superhero MUX RPG servers and it was harder to get people to do action scenes then social scenes.

People dig the social lives of superheroes.

Nov 27, 2020
To think there was a time when people argued the Snap would be reverted back with no consequences, now look at us

The MCU is gonna be addressing it for years to come

😂
I had my doubts when Endgame did the whole "5 years later" thing, but then they didn't wipe it away with time travel, and now they're mining it for drama. Really smart decision.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
They called it a "blip" because the people who got snapped didn't even realize they were gone for those years. For them, it was just a blip. They came back to the exact spot at the exact moment they were snapped away. Nothing changed for them during the years in between. It was just a "blip" for them.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I had my doubts when Endgame did the whole "5 years later" thing, but then they didn't wipe it away with time travel, and now they're mining it for drama. Really smart decision.

The 5 year timeskip actually signaled the exact opposite for me haha. The way I saw it, it was too massive of a timeskip to just reverse. After all, if that was the plan, then I'd expect 1 year at most.

The collective gasp in the audience I was with seemed to suggest that a lot of us were on the same wavelength lol

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
What is with y'all and the word "filler" lol

Just seemed a more polite way to say "I don't really care about Falcons sisters boat and catering business". I get it though, that was the only part of the show my wife loved, who only watches rom-coms basically, while she hated all the Bucky/Libya stuff, which was the only thing I liked lol. I do wonder how they are gonna try and straddle those two worlds in the series, WandaVision straddled the sitcom and drama sides I thought fairly well so I'm interested to see where this goes.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
What's confusing is that they refer to a pre-blip or post-blip world, and I'm not sure if they mean before Thanos' snap, during the "away" years, or after they come back again.

Like, were they pro-Thanos people that wanted the universal halving of life to remain intact?

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
What's confusing is that they refer to a pre-blip or post-blip world, and I'm not sure if they mean before Thanos' snap, during the "away" years, or after they come back again.

Like, were they pro-Thanos people that wanted the universal halving of life? to remain intact?
I kind of hope if there's a pro-Thanos faction that they all wear strap on chins

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just seemed a more polite way to say "I don't really care about Falcons sisters boat and catering business". I get it though, that was the only part of the show my wife loved, who only watches rom-coms basically, while she hated all the Bucky/Libya stuff, which was the only thing I liked lol

It's all good, honestly I thought you feeling it was meh covered that well enough in terms of politeness. It's just that at some point filler seems to have become synonymous with "I don't like this" and it's become such a pet peeve for me nowadays😔

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I actually hate that I'm increasingly getting used to "The Blip" as the official verbiage. It's just such a dumb funny-man word and yet I've still eased into it.

Damn.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. My son made a very astute observation by saying Bucky is just like Angel on his spin-off show. Super powered old man in a young body who has difficulty fitting into modern times and has to atone for his past evils. Felt bad after realizing he was the cause of his friend's son's death. Looking forward to when he meets up with Sam.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. I'm intrigued. Was surprised Batroc made an appearance, and glad that he also didn't seemingly die.

That Torres guy seems kind of dumb though. Like a fanboy or something that got turned into a CIA agent.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I liked seeing how realistic they made it with them trying to integrate back into normal society where they basically took part in saving the world yet no one really gives a fuck and treats them like anyone and used as celebrity fodder for pictures and whatnot like that banker did.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Like, were they pro-Thanos people that wanted the universal halving of life to remain intact?

Pre Blip is post Thanos snap
Post Blip is post Hulk Snap

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
god the pacing of this show is Marvel Studios realized

i love how much of this is just exploring their lives, and the opening parallel TWS intro scene was just 👌🏾

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man Tony's getting straight shit on when he hasn't even been mentioned. Poor guy sacrificed himself to save the universe, leaving a child and wife behind, after constantly striving to protect the planet and developing ptsd after another sacrifice play. And based on nothing people are assuming off screen he refused money to all the heroes and their families.

Anyway obviously there are always going to be weird quirks like that depending on the stories they want to tell, but I love that they handles the snap like they did.
I was worried during Endgame that we'd hit a hard reset but bringing everyone back without resetting the timeline is *perfect* now that D+ has these shows to delve into the ramifications.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
That Torres guy seems kind of dumb though. Like a fanboy or something that got turned into a CIA agent.
He's actually...
a successor to Falcon in the comic after Sam become Cap.

When the girl said to Bucky "You're like my dad", I felt that.

Last edited:

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I actually hate that I'm increasingly getting used to "The Blip" as the official verbiage. It's just such a dumb funny-man word and yet I've still eased into it.

Damn.
Same here.

I still feel like it was a dumb choice to go with but given that everything in-universe refers to that period as "The Blip", it just makes it easier to be on the same page and refer to it the same way.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he seemed concerned at the start even poped a dude parachute instead of killing him, and than proceeds to fucking destroy everyone haha.
felt like he popped the guy's chute because it happened to be the fastest way to get him out of the fight at the time, more than anything else

also he's a soldier on a military mission, of course he's going to kill people

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
She says that and he mumbles "It ain't like that, Falcon's a hero" before gushing about getting another selfie.

Too fucking subtle for some people, ain't it.

yeah my wife and I reacted like oh shit they're going there. Here's hoping the show digs more into this kind of thing.

Same with the ending- we were both like can't give the shield to the black guy, huh. Gotta wait for the (white) symbol of America to don the shield.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really, really dislike when people try to categorize scenes or episodes as "filler". Seems like a depressing way to watch TV. And if I actually believed that about a show, I'd stop watching it immediately.

In other news, I'm happy to see how important the five year blip has been to the MCU since Infinity War.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I think people have a problem with it expressing too much sympathy for the people who have it worse.

So for instance: emancipation of slaves happened. This made things better for one group (slaves), but worse for another (slave owners). Now, taken in isolation and out of context, "every time things get better for one group they get worse for another," that line kind of just makes it sound like it's all equal and balanced and gee don't you have sympathy for that other group that had things get worse for them?

But no, fuck those slave owners. They deserved for things to get worse for them. And in context it's clear that Sam isn't saying "and we should respect the Flag Smashers' feelings about how things got worse for them," rather he's just pointing out: even though things got better for most of the world, some people apparently thought mid-blip was a good time, and those people are now out there trying to bring back the status quo they liked and we'd better be on guard to stop them.
Oh ok, I can see that, but when he said that line I was thinking more about him referring to black people having it worse while white people had it better, a theme that we're all familiar with, especially in current times of police brutality and protests. Yeah, no way the point was to show sympathy for the group with terrible ideals.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I want a special one-off (one episode) D+ show that features short stories of a bunch of scenes from different points of view (from heroes/villians to regular people) in the last ten years of mcu, kind of like simpson's 22 short films about springfield. Talk about snap, blip, steamed hams etc.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think people have a problem with it expressing too much sympathy for the people who have it worse.

So for instance: emancipation of slaves happened. This made things better for one group (slaves), but worse for another (slave owners). Now, taken in isolation and out of context, "every time things get better for one group they get worse for another," that line kind of just makes it sound like it's all equal and balanced and gee don't you have sympathy for that other group that had things get worse for them?

But no, fuck those slave owners. They deserved for things to get worse for them. And in context it's clear that Sam isn't saying "and we should respect the Flag Smashers' feelings about how things got worse for them," rather he's just pointing out: even though things got better for most of the world, some people apparently thought mid-blip was a good time, and those people are now out there trying to bring back the status quo they liked and we'd better be on guard to stop them.

Quoting this one just because it kinda ties into my post; I'll be honest, the line largely didn't throw me off mainly because I read it as part of the episode's theme on racial discrimination. As in the "other group" that had it worse were minorities like Sam and Torres that were used as stepping stones for the first group's (white people's) betterment.

I may well be reading too much into it, already coming in expecting the themes and with the episode already giving far clearer plays on it, and yours and others' reads seem fair as well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Fucking great first episode. I'm so so in. That first action scene was amazing.