• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The Fable series is one of my favorite series of all time but is a little lost to time due to the demise of Lionhead studios.

The studios leader Peter Molyneux came to be known as someone who over promised and never quite delivered, but the 3 Fable games produced under his watch were all very good and even great games.

It is the worst kept secret in gaming that Playground games is making Fable. This could change as all things do, but it seems like a good bet that this is still happening. Playground have become masters of open world games with their best in class open world driving series Forza Horizon series.

I have little doubt that they can make a beautiful, expansive, and engaging open world but I hope they are able to capture what makes Fable such a good series.

I'd start with the music, which features some of my favorite tracks in any game ever.

The Fable series has really great music and is haunting, heroic, and magical and I hope Playground can recapture the feeling.

Then, I would say the story and the setting. The story of Fable was pretty simple. Do you want to become a hero or a villain? The amount of choice you had in the game was pretty simple and the morality choices were not complex, but I always found them enthralling and I would love to see the physical changes brought to my character.

Then Albion as a setting always had a sense of undiscovered magic that I just hope playground can match.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I said it today in the other thread also. I hope its the style of Legends. Looks amazing and seems "from this time" also.

UnnaturalIncompleteDingo-size_restricted.gif

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Fable is such an intrinsically "British" game to its core. It definitely has that character and charm that a lot of games don't have. It's just as chipper and whimsical as it is dark.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
The Fable series has produced some of my favorite gaming moments from the previous 2 generations and will forever have a place in my heart. I really hope that the Playground can modernize the themes and feel of the original games and bring it a new generation in a fun and interesting way.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
There was something about the story and setting that made it special. I really hope they don't fuck it up. Last thing I want is a generic open world game.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I adored Fable. It had a whimsical atmosphere, charming humour and cool mechanics. It's British through and through, and I love it for that.

A great next gen Fable could be a real killer app.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fable is such an intrinsically "British" game to its core. It definitely has that character and charm that a lot of games don't have. It's just as chipper and whimsical as it is dark.

Playground is British so here's hoping they can do their best Lionhead impression or go even further

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Also its kinda funny its like a certain thing now that PG is making Fable when nothing has been said yet. I mean all the hints are there. But still haha.
Thats why i am a believer that they should just announce it. In peoples mind its already a thing. Make it official if its true.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
The sense of whimsy was real, but the series did not have the depth that I hoped it would reach as it went on.
The player character was still using emotes as a primary form of communication! Ugh. Give me real dialogue options, please.

But it was so different than American-made RPG's! So very charming!
We each have an idea in our heads for what a modern-day Fable must evolve to be like...but I think most of us agree on what its strengths were, at least. And that's a solid foundation.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely agree both the world of Albion and the music are some of my favorite in all of gaming. I can't think of any other game that has captured the same feeling

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Playground made driving a car around a realistic environment feel whimsical and special. I'm sure they'll have no problem with a fantasy setting.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I said it today in the other thread also. I hope its the style of Legends. Looks amazing and seems "from this time" also.

I love this gif. I'm more then confident PG will do it justice, and most likely enhance it to make it thier own.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Legends in 4K on PC was amazing. And Shroud was a lot of fun, it's a shame Legends would have worked well as a secondary component to a mainline game but on its own it was doomed to fail, no way they could have pumped out content fast enough to retain a playerbase.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely needs a certain whimsy about it that I'm not sure any studio outside of the UK could ever capture. I think it's an appreciation of a good regional accent, and an appreciation of the fact that everything is a little bit rubbish in its own fantastic way.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Playground opened a new studio in St Albans to work on a "non-racing open world RPG" in 2017, the assumed studio making Fable.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
The only memory that really sticks with me from Fable is the absurdly designed ending of Fable 3 with the whole saving the kingdom shit. Fuck that. First and second games had quite fun atmospheres though, its true.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I would like this series more of it veered away from humor and focused on being a tight adventure action RPG. (I know I'm in the minority) Music was amazing.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Playground will do much better, I have the feeling that they will show a GCI in X019.

Jul 17, 2018
I been saying this. Fable is my most favorite Xbox series and I feel Playground needs to focus on what made it great especially the first game. Yes, Lionhead shutting down was disappointing but I feel Playground can do much, much better especially without Peter's overpromising.

Jul 17, 2018
  1. I would prefer a full reboot of the series. A full reboot from Molyneux Fable. I would prefer the time setting to be during ancient times or at least the early medieval period. This is the setting Fable BELONGS in. If not a full reboot then at least ignore Fable 1 and 2 and only make Fable one canon. Think the recent Halloween film. This way Fable can still be in the medieval period.
  2. Fable is based off early Britain history. And so is Game of Thrones(I KNOW it includes OTHER European cultures but the majority of cast is British, etc,etc).... I would LOVE the next Fable game to have a Game of Thrones like story with awesome writing. I would love a story about corrupt kings, politicians, noblemen, houses, etc, etc. The Heros Guild would be like John Snow, House of Stark and the Nights Watch i.e the only honorable people in Albion. I would like there to be a big ass war in Albion in which the Heros Guild tries to stop and bring peace throughout the kingdom(or empire). In my opinion this would certainly fit Fable.
  3. Now this part is going to get a lot of hate but really... I can't stand the counter of "well you must not want a Fable game." First off.. KNOCK IT OFF.. I'm probably the biggest Fable fan playing all three games and beating all of them. But when it comes to humor yes keep the witty British humor. Of course its Fable and Fable is BRITISH. But dear god keep rid of the farting and burping. This is stuff that only 7-12 year old finds funny. This is not comedy for people 17 and up, How about some ADULT themed British humor? Instead of burping, how about the option for giving people the finger? Instead of farting how about the player is able to taunt someone by pulling down his pants and showing their arse(with it blurred out lol). Think something like this.

4. WARNING: Nudity in video. Timestamp: 2:10. This is RIGHT up Fable's alley. Its not silly kiddy humor but humor that FITS FABLE! When it comes to dark humor think Game of Thrones or even Grand Theft Auto. Both British btw.
  5. Addressing point #3 I would love to see way more swearing and naughty languages. Its Fable and rated M.
  6. This is addressing point #4.... Fable is again rated M for mature. And since its that I want the game to LET LOOOOOOOOOOOSE with the adult themed material. GTA 5, Mass Effect and games like them has and so should Fable. I want to see nudity in the game especially when you visit the brothels. Instead of a sex scene cutting to black show it like Mass Effect does. Bowerstone in Fable should be a sin city. I also want to see a lot of alcohol usage and the player being able to get drunk.
  7. Please get rid of the damn sanctuary. RPGs only need a pause screen. This is why I am glad Peter is off the game.
  8. Make the world of Albion actually OPEN... No more of those God forsaken loading screens. If you gonna have loading screens then just have them if you enter a building/cave.
  9. Speaking of the world of Albion... RPGS like Skyrim and Witcher have defined western RPG genre. I would love for the world of Albion to be HUGE. At least the size of Skyrim Special Edition which is 14.79 miles. I would love for the map to have multiple upon multiple cities and villages. I would love for the map to have old ancient Albion ruins that you can explore or deep and dangerous forests like Darkwood. I would like Ablion to be littered with different types of animals and even exotic ones. Albion should also have random events happen like RDR. Finally I would like Fable 4's Albion to take place in ONE of the kingdoms of Albion(for example England) like Britian is made up of England, Scotland, Welsh and Northern Ireland.
  10. Addressing 8... I know they probably won't do this but I would love Fable 4 to have groups based off the Celtics, Franks or even Norsemen. I would love Bowerstone to be diverse and made up of different demographics like people from Samarkand.
  11. Bring back the Balverines. But this time give you the option to turn into one!
  12. Allow you the option to join different groups.
  13. Please for godsake make it so you can DIE!!!!!! I don't know what they were thinking with Fable 2 and 3. You don't have to make it like the Souls games but ALLOW US TO DIE!!!
  14. Fix the combat system please. It was way to simple especially in 2 and 3. At least make the sword combat like Skyrim at minimum. Also please make the magic/will combat better and give us more options to will power.
  15. No guns just bows or crossbows please.
  16. This is going to upset a lot of people but get rid of the dog or at least make a dog an option. He/she was useless by Fable 3. I would prefer a horse over a dog. And yes please add horses many fantasy wRPGs have them.
  17. Marriage... One of the reasons I LOVE Fable. Make it so that your spouse can do more. But please can we actually marry UNIQUE or main characters?? I would've loved to marry a warrior female character in one of the Fable games.
  18. Having kids another reason I love Fable. This maybe complex and most likely wont happen but give a reason to have or WANT kids. I would love your kids to grow to at least their early 20s. But more importantly you can give the option for your kid being a warrior and so he can fight with you, a nobleman so you can have political protection or something else. Something along those lines because that would be awesome and would give a reason for players to want kids in game.
  19. PLEASE make choices more riskier with MORE consequences.
  20. Addressing point #18... Please add more to good and evil. Make it so that when you are evil you ACTUALLY LOOK like the damn demon on the cover or that if your good you turn into an angel. Good and evil should also have their OWN unique powers/abilities(like Infamous but BETTER).
  21. Property purchasing... Another reason I love Fable but they should upgrade it. How about you can actually own land(think Skyrim DLC) and even become the richest nobleman in Albion. And with that land you can build whatever you want on it and even settlements(see Fallout 4)!!!
  22. Since this is made by PG I would LOVE seasons in this game from winter, fall, summer, etc.
  23. Bring back the bandits but make them more vicious.
  24. Bring back Chapel of Skorm.
  25. PLEASE.... PLEASE... Bring back armor dammit.
  26. Please have more customization for player from different outfits, hairstyles, etc, etc.
  27. Please get rid of the damn yellow trail you follow it was annoying.
  28. Keep swimming but I would love for you to be able to use ships.
  29. Bring back trolls.
  30. I would like to see MORE TERRIFYING British mythical creatures.
  31. No more damn Theresa. Jesus Christ...
  32. Going back to good and evil, if you choose to be evil then allow the player to do some very %$#*ed up stuff.
  33. Have lots of gore. The original had gore but add to it. This is early British history people.
  34. Have a bunch of minigames like the Fable cards. Also the bars should be life like with people having brawls, drinking, singing,etc.
  35. Have a level up system.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fable without Molyneaux isn't Fable.

1. I would prefer a full reboot of the series. A full reboot from Molyneux Fable. I would prefer the time setting to be during ancient times or at least the early medieval period. This is the setting Fable BELONGS in. If not a full reboot then at least ignore Fable 1 and 2 and only make Fable one canon. Think the recent Halloween film. This way Fable can still be in the medieval period.
*snip*

You've had this saved to be ready to paste the next time a Fable thread came up, didn't you?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I love Fable 2, great game just to wind up NPCs like slaughtering many of them then confusing them by throwing out money. It feels more like a Monty Python fairy tale rather than a serious RPG.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I'm going to have to start another Fable playthrough again aren't I?

Maybe something will be announced next week

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone can revive Fable, it's Playground Games. I love this series for its charm and aesthetic but it always felt a bit unstable and the controls rather laggy, like it was a minor miracle that it released at all in a functional state. With Playground's technical mastery and the right artists, writers and composers Fable 4 could be an action RPG to rival The Witcher 3.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I enjoyed the Fable games they always felt like they were just parts of other games duct taped together and given a charming veneer. I'd prefer they make some serious changes to the actual game while keeping the aesthetic.

OP
OP
Proven

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If anyone can revive Fable, it's Playground Games. I love this series for its charm and aesthetic but it always felt a bit unstable and the controls rather laggy, like it was a minor miracle that it released at all in a functional state. With Playground's technical mastery and the right artists, writers and composers Fable 4 could be an action RPG to rival The Witcher 3.

Yeah Fable is kind of an unfulfilled promise in many ways, and in that case a near miracle they ended up being good games.

Playground has a chance to really crush it.