• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This game was a complete mindfuck when I got it back in 1996

I was expecting Saturn LandStalker

I got something I wasn't prepared for and loved every minute of it.

I unfortunately never did more than a few scenarios

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Wow! The game sounds amazing. Thanks for this thread and the write-up, OP.
Don't know how I never even gave this game a chance on my Saturn. Will go to a retro game store here in the city this weekend and see if I can find a copy of it.

So how do I see the different scenarios and possibilities for this game? Does it reset every time I finish one, and force me to play a new, different one or do I have to do wildly specific and different things within the game to trigger them, like let certain characters die or whatever?

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. Never heard of this before, and now I'm wondering if it was inspiration for Embric Of Wulfhammer's Castle (Genuinely well-written and structured NSFW game that follows similar story beats).

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've ever heard of.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone comment on how long a single play through takes? The concept sounds really amazing, but I'm notorious for not finishing games that only require one playthrough.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
That was my " play whenever there isn't anything new " game. I played it so much I could probably jump back in without any issues today.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. :) I have owned the game for a long time but never played far before losing interest. It didn't grip me as much as Landstalker. This thread makes me want to try it again, though.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Thanks OP, just bought the game off Ebay because of this thread. It seems most copies are around $115 so the one I just grabbed for $74 shipping included seems like a pretty good deal.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I've always wanted to play this one, but never threw the money for a copy for my Saturn. Now this is a game that truly deserves a Sega Ages port on switch

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Wow! Truly a hidden gem. Im def interested. Never heard of this before!

This is a concept that def deserves to be remixed in the modern day

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the game David Cage wants to make but never will. Or the natural result of the Sudaverse.

Just make a Saturn Classic already, Sega!

Oct 25, 2017
FUCK YEAH WE TALKIN' DARK SAVIOR UP IN HERE

One of the Saturn games that I bought used from a Blockbuster way back in the day, like 1998 maybe, and it turned out to be a total surprise to me.

OP does not oversell how fantastic this game is and how well it weaves together storylines in purpose of its underlying twist.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably pick this up for my Japanese Saturn collection (note to any prospective Saturn collectors: US Saturn games are super expensive).

I have a question: Does the game ever stop repeating itself? Like what if you just beat it over and over again?

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Awesome write up!! I really want to play this now. It sort of reminds me of the old British TV show The Prisoner; I think it is the futility aspect you described.

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks everyone for the really nice comments and feedback, very glad you enjoyed this look at one of my most revered games.

I can see a lot of people want to seek it out, and while I definitely encourage this, maybe have a look at a few YouTube videos first before spending a lot. I adore the gameplay, the battle system and the controls, but as you can see from the comments, these can be divisive for some.

There is also a major difficulty spike towards the end of two of the Parallels - the "Silver Castle" and the entire Carbon Garian onslaught. Gamers with limited time might want to consider snapshots in these areas if that suits them best.

What a great, subversive, utterly unique game both for its system and within its genre. It's also held up well by virtue of its genre-bending, polished yet janky core. The game's visual design has aged better than almost any other 3D Saturn title; I hope Mednafen's Saturn core gets a resolution plug-in feature soon so everyone can see how high-res the textures are. Maybe we can get a port from M2 one day, together with its spiritual predecessor Landstalker (and perhaps TimeStalker for completion).

There's even more to this game if you check out summaries of the radio dramas, which really dig into the metanarrative.

Yes, I'd heard that there was even more content in the radio dramas – I think someone has begun to work on some translations somewhere, which will be interesting to read once completed.

I don't think I've ever booted this up in my Saturn. How long does a typical play-through take?
If you were to attempt each of the major timelines (ignoring splinters), you'd probably be looking at 15-25 hours to complete, varying based on exploration (Bilan and Drizit parallels) or deaths (Carban Garian and Marathon of Death parallels).

Fascinating. I've never heard of this game and I consider myself a bit of a video game historian. I'm going to be trying to find a way to play it now!

Thanks so much for all the effort you put in to this write up!

...wow, what in the world. Sounds...revolutionary. Why does no one ever talk about this game?

It really is a testament to how little exposure the Sega Saturn library has received when learned gamers have never often never heard of such a monumental game. The fault definitely lies with Sega there.

I'm guessing this hasn't be released on anything besides the Saturn?
Unfortunately not. The game suffers the same fate as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Saturn Bomberman, Death Tank 7-player, Soleil/Crusader of Centy, Sonic 3D Saturn, Burning Rangers, Legend of Thor, Shining Force 3, Keio Flying Squadron 2 and countless more classics that were only ever released once by Sega. Such a shame.

Also, this game yet again demonstrated the formidable talent of programmer Kan Naito. He's the reason why Shining Force, Landstalker, and later Climax games run as smooth as they do. Dark Savior's one of the system's most impressive games on a technical level and he's a big reason why.

Love this game. It also made such wonderful use of the Hardware, pushing the VDP1 to its limits (I think in an interview Climax said they were pushing over 120,000 polygons up to 140,000) and also making great use of the VDP2.

I always felt that the game looked amazing, using the 3D capability and 2D strength of the system to produce something really special, that played (for the most part) fluidly. Really interesting to hear about some of the staffing talent and technical work that went into it.

This hole, it was made for me. It is so exactly my jam it could well be made from a combination of my own flesh and blood and fruit pectin. I feel almost a sense of obligation to play this game now so that it might enhance my own storytelling goals. I'm so extremely here for "it's landstalker, except it's a fighting game, except it's actually an existential nightmare brought upon by the murder of a child" that I can't get directions on google maps.
High praise!

The game is a bit more abstract than the OP makes it sound, that's not to say that it doesn't have a fascinating narrative but I think decent amounts of the OP are rooted in personal interpretation of ambiguous events and storytelling elements. That's not necessarily a slight against the game; in fact it's arguably a good thing, because the game supports a number of theories and is rife for the kind of theorycrafting/fanwankery that people did on, say, Undertale.
The game does not play well in my opinion. The combat itself is fun in its own way but I would not consider it a compelling gameplay experience overall, other than the broad structural elements of the narrative and how that narrative loops over on itself in fascinating ways. The best way I could describe it is: someone took the gameplay design of a roguelike and then applied it to the storytelling itself. But at any rate there's no point describing the narrative since the OP did a great job of covering how unique it is.

It's interesting that the Saturn was predominantly an arcade experience and yet two of the most compelling and experimental narrative experiences of that gen - this game and Panzer Dragoon Saga - were Saturn exclusives. It's yet another reason why this console's library is criminally underappreciated.

I think that's a very fair point. I agree that some of the finer details have to be abstracted, but especially given the dialogue of certain characters in the "Marathon of Death" timeline, I don't see any other interpretation.

Bilan – the nemesis of Garian – only speaks twice in the game, during the supernatural events of Parallel V. In each instance he is screaming about being trapped, about his suffering, and his desperation to "live again". I believe these are the only true moments of Garian's realised consciousness that we hear in the entire game, in that bubble between two scenarios.

I think you raise a fair perspective about the gameplay. I think it holds up really well, but the game is eclectic enough that it's something people can reasonably disagree on.

I do remember it getting kinda bad reviews back then. One video game magazine I read gave it a 6.5 I remember. I always thought it was amazing. I replayed it (still own a copy) a couple of years ago and still holds up.
Yeah, I completely get that. I was blown away by this game, and when I went back to look at the reviews, it was like they were talking about something completely different. Definitely wasn't recognised for what it was.

So how do I see the different scenarios and possibilities for this game? Does it reset every time I finish one, and force me to play a new, different one or do I have to do wildly specific and different things within the game to trigger them, like let certain characters die or whatever?
There is a moment a few minutes after the start of the game where the timelines begin to tear apart, though its only indicated by a gentle colour change to a small part of the GUI.

This is how I'd advise to play it: Jump in and give the game a playthrough – you'll almost always end up in the "Bilan" timeline group, possibly the "Drizit" timeline group at a stretch. When you get to the Captain's Cabin, you will notice the colour of a GUI element at the bottom-right of the screen is red.

When the world resets at the end of your scenario, study what makes this GUI element change, and try to reach the Captain's Cabin with a different colour.

This is the decider for major timeline splits. For smaller splits, these are still little-understood. Some are based on character decisions as you might expect, but some seem to happen based on nothing at all – I think the game might possibly have a range of measures (speed of player, paths chosen around the rooms, secrets found) to calculate the smaller variations, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten to the bottom of them.

Wow. Never heard of this before, and now I'm wondering if it was inspiration for Embric Of Wulfhammer's Castle (Genuinely well-written and structured NSFW game that follows similar story beats).
Never heard of that, thanks for making me aware!

I have a question: Does the game ever stop repeating itself? Like what if you just beat it over and over again?
Garian's punishment never ends. You can complete as many permutations as you can: save the island, destroy the island, sacrifice your love, abandon your love, overthrow the administration, battle the resistance, kill the final boss, redeem the final boss.

In the end, he will always, always wake up in his cabin on the Prisoner Transport, distressed that his memories are fragmenting away, shaking off his nightmare, and then ready to start his adventure as all plucky JRPG heroes are.

Garian is destined to suffer for all time as a child murderer, and even if we could save him, should we?

Last edited:

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Thanks everyone for the really nice comments and feedback, very glad you enjoyed this look at one of my most revered games.

I can see a lot of people want to seek it out, and while I definitely encourage this, maybe have a look at a few YouTube videos first before spending a lot. I adore the gameplay, the battle system and the controls, but as you can see from the comments, these can be divisive for some.

There is also a major difficulty spike towards the end of two of the Parallels - the "Silver Castle" and the entire Carbon Garian onslaught. Gamers with limited time might want to consider snapshots in these areas if that suits them best.

Yes, I'd heard that there was even more content in the radio dramas – I think someone has begun to work on some translations somewhere, which will be interesting to read once completed.

If you were to attempt each of the major timelines (ignoring splinters), you'd probably be looking at 15-25 hours to complete, varying based on exploration (Bilan and Drizit parallels) or deaths (Carban Garian and Marathon of Death parallels).

It really is a testament to how little exposure the Sega Saturn library has received when learned gamers have never often never heard of such a monumental game. The fault definitely lies with Sega there.

Unfortunately not. The game suffers the same fate as Panzer Dragoon Saga, Saturn Bomberman, Death Tank 7-player, Soleil/Crusader of Centy, Sonic 3D Saturn, Burning Rangers, Legend of Thor, Shining Force 3, Keio Flying Squadron 2 and countless more classics that were only ever released once by Sega. Such a shame.

I always felt that the game looked amazing, using the 3D capability and 2D strength of the system to produce something really special, that played (for the most part) fluidly. Really interesting to hear about some of the staffing talent and technical work that went into it.

High praise!

I think that's a very fair point. I agree that some of the finer details have to be abstracted, but especially given the dialogue of certain characters in the "Marathon of Death" timeline, I don't see any other interpretation.

Bilan – the nemesis of Garian – only speaks twice in the game, during the supernatural events of Parallel V. In each instance he is screaming about being trapped, about his suffering, and his desperation to "live again". I believe these are the only true moments of Garian's realised consciousness that we hear in the entire game, in that bubble between two scenarios.

I think you raise a fair perspective about the gameplay. I think it holds up really well, but the game is eclectic enough that it's something people can reasonably disagree on.

Yeah, I completely get that. I was blown away by this game, and when I went back to look at the reviews, it was like they were talking about something completely different. Definitely wasn't recognised for what it was.

There is a moment a few minutes after the start of the game where the timelines begin to tear apart, though its only indicated by a gentle colour change to a small part of the GUI.

This is how I'd advise to play it: Jump in and give the game a playthrough – you'll almost always end up in the "Bilan" timeline group, possibly the "Drizit" timeline group at a stretch. When you get to the Captain's Cabin, you will notice the colour of a GUI element at the bottom-right of the screen is red.

When the world resets at the end of your scenario, study what makes this GUI element change, and try to reach the Captain's Cabin with a different colour.

This is the decider for major timeline splits. For smaller splits, these are still little-understood. Some are based on character decisions as you might expect, but some seem to happen based on nothing at all – I think the game might possibly have a range of measures (speed of player, paths chosen around the rooms, secrets found) to calculate the smaller variations, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten to the bottom of them.

Never heard of that, thanks for making me aware!

Garian's punishment never ends. You can complete as many permutations as you can: save the island, destroy the island, sacrifice your love, abandon your love, overthrow the administration, battle the resistance, kill the final boss, redeem the final boss.

In the end, he will always, always wake up in his cabin on the Prisoner Transport, distressed that his memories are fragmenting away, shaking off his nightmare, and then ready to start his adventure as all plucky JRPG heroes are.

Garian is destined to suffer for all time as a child murderer, and even if we could save him, should we?

Woah. Amazing haha, thanks for the reply. Very good to know.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
Not a year goes by where I don't consider plunking down for a Saturn and the handful of games I'd want to play on it, but ultimately the price prevents me from doing so. Have still never played a Sega Saturn in my life. Saturn Classic when?

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
All I remember of this game is a video from a Saturn demo disc. I remember thinking that the isometric platforming looked like a pain in the ass.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Wait...what, there's a Dark Saviour radio drama? Why haven't I heard anything about this and where can I listen to it?

Also, can anyone shed any light on this mythical hidden 6th parallel that was only in the Japanese version of the game? I'm guessing it was just one of those silly internet rumours but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed one way or the other.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Savior is amazing. Checking out this thread because of the Centy thread. Definitely up there for obscure & quality games.

I had a screenshot of this game in a 'guess the game' quiz on this or the old site (can't remember) and nobody ever guessed it.

OP
OP
Mama Robotnik

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Wait...what, there's a Dark Saviour radio drama? Why haven't I heard anything about this and where can I listen to it?

Also, can anyone shed any light on this mythical hidden 6th parallel that was only in the Japanese version of the game? I'm guessing it was just one of those silly internet rumours but I don't believe it's ever been confirmed one way or the other.

As far as I'm aware, the "parallel 6" rumour isn't true, as much as I'd like it to be.

The most someone has come to breaking Garian out of the purgatory cycle is by triggering a recursive time-loop in Parallel 2 - purposely leaving Kay to her fate twice and being sent back in time twice by Jack in order to to fix things. I've not tried this myself but it seems to cause some game instability and crashes, I love considering the meta-element of that - by creating a time paradox in Garian's mind, are we freeing him from his suffering?

The only way to know for certain would be for someone to do a deep dive into the data on the disc, which would be fascinating. Unfortuntely, this is also way beyond me.

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A mate of mine was going to give me his Saturn, but then didn't for reasons. I may have to see if he's open to selling it and pick up a copy of this game.

Great series you've got going on Mama Robotnik !

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Just received my copy last friday. Very eager to play this as soon as I am done with Albert Odyssey. The OP made such good arguments to sell this game!

OP! Should I take my time the first playthrough regarding the timer at the beginning?

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Just received my copy last friday. Very eager to play this as soon as I am done with Albert Odyssey. The OP made such good arguments to sell this game!

OP! Should I take my time the first playthrough regarding the timer at the beginning?

Not op, but just play it normally is my advice.

You'll almost certainly finish the section with the timer red (I.e, after 4:30) which will trigger Parallel I anyway. If not, it isn't a huge deal. You don't have to play all the parallels in strict order I-V anyway.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
I, too, was reminded of Black Mirror while reading through the scenarios and the twist. The game looks good and sounds like is has a wonderfully dark premise. Thanks for the information, it was a great read.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
This was an amazing read op. Your threads are hella interesting and the premise of this game is fuckin amazing.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Not op, but just play it normally is my advice.

You'll almost certainly finish the section with the timer red (I.e, after 4:30) which will trigger Parallel I anyway. If not, it isn't a huge deal. You don't have to play all the parallels in strict order I-V anyway.

Thanks for the tips. I will simply play it and take whatever time it takes me to reach the captain's room. Really looking forward this one :)

Protmind

Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up back in '96 due to Gamefan coverage and still have it today. I never finished all of the scenarios, but I agree that it is a great game. It was surprisingly unnerving as I played it, beyond my expectations.

The jumping will make you tear your hair out at times, but you'll get used to it for the most part.

Ghaleon

May 12, 2019
Wow, thanks for this awesome post! It's awesome that all these amazing SEGA games that were ignored by all the American media except GameFan are finally getting the critical discussion they deserve.

It took decades for film criticism to become a real "thing", and today's gaming reviews are still basically third-party PR, so it's independent voices who don't stand to lose anything by being honest that can be the true voices of gaming critique.

I wrote a piece on Dark Savior for SEGA Nerds years ago, and this is a much more in-depth exploration of the game. Thank you for putting this out there and getting more people introduced to these amazing games (esp for the Saturn)!