• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
A game I regret selling after barely giving it a chance. Now I feel real dumb. I've been meaning to pick it up again....but now I know everything. Thanks?

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
No idea if this game would actually play well based on the gameplay description but the scenario sounds super interesting.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
No idea if this game would actually play well based on the gameplay description but the scenario sounds super interesting.

It *does* play well. Well, at the time. It was a really unique take on the 3rd person character action-y game - it's a slash-em-up, but with lots of jumpy puzzles, etc. It's a real mish-mash of genres in how it plays - definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
That looks really fascinating - I really have to get around to it at some point; thanks for putting together the topic.

This hole, it was made for me. It is so exactly my jam it could well be made from a combination of my own flesh and blood and fruit pectin. I feel almost a sense of obligation to play this game now so that it might enhance my own storytelling goals. I'm so extremely here for "it's landstalker, except it's a fighting game, except it's actually an existential nightmare brought upon by the murder of a child" that I can't get directions on google maps.

I know, it's a perfect combination of experimental elements that appeals to me so much I can't believe I haven't run into some mention of it by chance before.

Or maybe it's for the best I'm only hearing of it now, otherwise I wouldn't be able to truthfully claim I wasn't plagiarising it.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
so...kinda white bear long before black mirror, then?

fuck me, that's awesome. ive had this one sitting on my shelf for far too long - awesome writeup as usual mama robotnik, cheers!

Wow, that looks incredible. Waiting for the day Saturn comes back to us.

those XBLA releases last gen were such a tease. can't imagine the hype there'd be for a saturn mini done well - still one of the best libraries in gaming that far too many still haven't experienced

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hply shit Mama robotnik you made another amazing thread! This game sounds absolutely amazing and now I'm sad that I can't play it :(. Quick get someone at Sega to view this thread. They'll have to port it after seeing how interesting this game is!

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
It definitely sounds fascinating enough to try next time I undust my Saturn.

If released today, this premise would certainly make waves in the gaming landscape.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game is a bit more abstract than the OP makes it sound, that's not to say that it doesn't have a fascinating narrative but I think decent amounts of the OP are rooted in personal interpretation of ambiguous events and storytelling elements. That's not necessarily a slight against the game; in fact it's arguably a good thing, because the game supports a number of theories and is rife for the kind of theorycrafting/fanwankery that people did on, say, Undertale.

The game does not play well in my opinion. The combat itself is fun in its own way but I would not consider it a compelling gameplay experience overall, other than the broad structural elements of the narrative and how that narrative loops over on itself in fascinating ways. The best way I could describe it is: someone took the gameplay design of a roguelike and then applied it to the storytelling itself. But at any rate there's no point describing the narrative since the OP did a great job of covering how unique it is.

It's interesting that the Saturn was predominantly an arcade experience and yet two of the most compelling and experimental narrative experiences of that gen - this game and Panzer Dragoon Saga - were Saturn exclusives. It's yet another reason why this console's library is criminally underappreciated.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of the many reasons that the Saturn library needs revisiting, there are a lot of games that would flourish.

Shibi

Oct 25, 2017
I've always believed that the Saturn had the best "lost" gaming library. So many amazing classics like Dark Savior unfortunately only playable on the Saturn to this day. Hopefully someday Sega will try to do something about that.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
When someone talks about forgotten classics this is one of the first ones that comes to mind. One of Saturn greatest exclusives and totally worth owning the console for it.

We need Dark Savior and similar games on Sega Ages, not the 97754456 emulator of Sonic 2.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop reading before reaching the more spoilery parts of the OP because by that point I was definitely thinking "I'm playing this"

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
Nice thread. Great write up!
Played it back in the day. Was really frustrated and at the time never understood how it all connected. Kept playing until I gave up on it with the feeling that either it was a badly constructed plot or I was simply "not getting it".

I must say now, after knowing what it all meant, it makes sense and it sounds really cool. But when you are a teen wanting to play action games on your new Sega console, you don't pay much attention to plot details :p

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This looks ace. Despite being a SEGA kid I never got a Saturn. I jumped to Playstation from the Megadrive.
With Climax Studios closing, do we know what happened to the rights/assets?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I had to stop reading before reaching the more spoilery parts of the OP because by that point I was definitely thinking "I'm playing this"

I almost wish I had stopped myself, because after spoiling myself in the OP I realized I would have loved playing this without knowing where the story actually goes!

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really surprised at how I've never heard of this game until now, the only Saturn RPGs that ever get mentioned as Panzer Dragon Saga (which, quite frankly, I don't think is remotely worth the price tag), the Shining series, Lunar and Oasis, if you had told me it was a long forgotten Yoko Taro game I'd believe you.

How does the PAL version of this run, much slower or did it get correctly adjusted? I've been seriously debating ditching my Saturn because it never gets used, the PAL game selection is dire and US releases cost too much to make modding worthwhile, but this might be worth keeping it for.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Great write-up. I did my part: I bought it when it was new. But I have to be honest, I played and finished the game and I really liked it, but I think I was too young to really grasp what was really going on so a lot (most?) of the subtext was completely lost on me (though I was 15 at the time, I was kinda dense then). I suppose it didn't help I'm not a native English speaker.

But you've definitely inspired me to give it another go. I still own my original copy so I might just dive in again.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
Thank you OP, I'll probably never play it since it's imprisoned on the Sega Saturn but the read was worth it.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
How demanding is the platforming in this game? I could never get into Landstalker because of it. I struggled a lot with the combination of its isometric angle and its level design, and the gifs make those aspects look similar here.

Panzer Dragoon

Alt-account
Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Love this game. It also made such wonderful use of the Hardware, pushing the VDP1 to its limits (I think in an interview Climax said they were pushing over 120,000 polygons up to 140,000) and also making great use of the VDP2.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of this game before. It sounds awesome, I like when games subvert expectations and do it well. That story (or stories), and the way it's told, seems crazy and amazing.

Mar 29, 2018
This is an unbelievable thread

That mega postmodern narrative is absolutely amazing too

It reminds me of David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest - in that the '80s culture of "endless entertainment" has borne entertainment products that are infinitely compelling yet have a dark and twisted core and that they are designed to never end

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
How demanding is the platforming in this game? I could never get into Landstalker because of it. I struggled a lot with the combination of its isometric angle and its level design, and the gifs make those aspects look similar here.
It's totally the same. There are some parts later in the game that will enrage you. I think it's part pf the isometric perspective. Expect a lot of falls from tiny floating platforms in the sky.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I remember it being pretty iffy. It's not gamebreaking at all, but the isometric viewpoint just isn't great for platforming. But if I recall you can turn the camera, which helps.

SecondVariety

Oct 29, 2017
Extremely fascinating. And yes it makes we wish that this game that I knew nothing about until now was widely known and loved and available to play.

Lugnutal

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
what a great read...great job op!!! I just started collecting again and the Saturn was one of the first systems I bought. Other than the crazy prices some of the games are going for, i've been finding some really good games to play, one being Dark Savior. Had no idea the story was this dark but looking foward to going through the different stories.

Sep 28, 2018
One of the few SEGA JRPGs that I never got to play... Sounds amazing, but they pretty much always were. SEGA was never considered a JRPG company like Square but they certainly made JRPGs that gave Square a run for their money; Skies of Arcadia remains my favourite JRPG of all time.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy how many people have not played this game. I obsessed over it when I was a kid. It even has one of my favorite soundtracks in gaming.

I do remember it getting kinda bad reviews back then. One video game magazine I read gave it a 6.5 I remember. I always thought it was amazing. I replayed it (still own a copy) a couple of years ago and still holds up.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
It's a fascinating game, but not much fun to play.

I ended up dropping it after losing an hour or so of progress on a cheap instant-death.