• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So this will be 100% the final season? (the next one that is)

Part of me can see the logic behind that, as the books drop massively in quality after the 5th one, and the Laconia plot was the weakest in the series. But at the same time I thought the show could attempt to fix some of the problems, they did so already with previous seasons when the books were at their weakest.
The Amazon press release posted above confirms that season 6 will be the last indeed.

Judging by the clip posted above, aspects of books 7-9 may well be integrated into the final two seasons.
I don't remember that conversation happening in NG or BA

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
I won't complain about 6 seasons being too few. Excited about picking up the books after. In the mean time I'm hyped for two more seasons!

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The Amazon press release posted above confirms that season 6 will be the last indeed.

Judging by the clip posted above, aspects of books 7-9 may well be integrated into the final two seasons.
I don't remember that conversation happening in NG or BA

That's what I was thinking, and seeing the clip make me think it's very much possible. They can fit the events of the 6th book in this season, because it is mainly just the conclusion of the previous book. And then, if they scrap the Laconia plot, they would basically have an entire season to deal with whatever it is in that clip. It might be a different journey than the books, but the end result might be the same.

Indeed, I always felt that there are more books in the series than originally planned, in that sense the series might be closer to the writers original vision than the books themselves. But that's a huge guess on my part obviously.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
is the time jump at the end of Season 6 that big of an obstacle?...can't they just do a shorter time jump and keep the spirit of the story (and thus keep the current cast)?

that being said I did read that Season 5 would be adapting Book 5 and parts of Book 6...fans of the book have told me that Book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) can be adapted in an episode or 2...but no matter how much of a natural ending point Book 6 is, the fact is that there's still 3 more books left in the series

so the question then becomes can they realistically adapt the final 3 books into 1 season?...something tells me no as it would feel rushed (like the final 2 seasons of Game of Thrones)...time to start a petition to get Apple TV+ to adapt the final 3 books...they have the $$ and the production values to do it justice

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So will any of the mystery of the gate builders be addressed or does cutting it off at book 6 kill that? I'm going to be really annoyed if the ancient aliens shit goes nowhere.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
is the time jump at the end of Season 6 that big of an obstacle?...can't they just do a shorter time jump and keep the spirit of the story (and thus keep the current cast)?...that being said I did read that Season 5 would be adapting Book 5 and parts of Book 6...and fans of the book have told me that Book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) can be adapted in an episode or 2...but no matter how much of a natural ending point Book 6 is, the fact is that there's still 3 more books left in the series

so the question then becomes can they realistically adapt the final 3 books into 1 season?...something tells me no as it would feel rushed (like the final 2 seasons of Game of Thrones)...time to start a petition to get Apple TV+ to adapt the final 3 books...they have the $$ and the production values to do it justice
I think it could be done, but the Laconian Empire establishing itself in less than 30 years, building new warships and the cult of personality around the God-King Duarte, and having whole a generation growing up under this regime would be difficult to convey in say a decade.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
is the time jump at the end of Season 6 that big of an obstacle?...can't they just do a shorter time jump and keep the spirit of the story (and thus keep the current cast)?
Yes, the time jump is a big obstacle. They can reduce the jump a bit but they cannot do so to the extent that the cast does not visibly age. The jump needs to be minimum ~15 years and that would be really cutting it close to implausibility. A substantial amount of societal evolution across multiple societies needs to happen within the space of that jump.

fans of the book have told me that Book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) can be adapted in an episode or 2
That's puzzling.

It can't be.

so the question then becomes can they realistically adapt the final 3 books into 1 season?
Nope. Not at anything like the pacing of the rest of the series. Not even at the kind of breakneck pace they used at the end of season 3 to cover the third book in seven episodes.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
My bet is that they are gonna make Inaro a much smaller threat (not in terms of damage but in terms of having a huge fleet) so they can deal with him in S5 and cut Laconia entirely. S6 will be based more on the last book than anything else

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I wonder how they'll be writing out Alex as Cas isn't returning to play him in season 6. Do we think they'll actually give an end to the character in some way or just a throw away reference to him in season 6 at some point? They filmed all of season 5 before the allegations and such right? So I'm guessing he's fully in season 5 and doesn't have a clear ending or anything.

Anyway, I'm still happy that we got anything after the cancellation - getting 3 seasons (right?) since that has been great and ending at a sixth makes sense with the books. Wouldn't make sense to tackle what happens in those, at least not yet.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So will any of the mystery of the gate builders be addressed or does cutting it off at book 6 kill that? I'm going to be really annoyed if the ancient aliens shit goes nowhere.

I'm curious about this as well...the protomolecule, its origins, builders etc have been a slow burn since the first season...would be crazy to not give people a resolution to the main story arc after 6 years

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
You know, for Jeff Amazon having all the money in the world and seeming to really like this show I'm sure if he really wanted to he could throw some of his pocket money to the show and they could figure out a way to do the other books too.

Then again this is just what I'd do with eleventy million brazillion dollars. Use it to make people make things I like.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that a bummer we won't see is

Drummer as the most powerful human in the system, at least for a while.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I just started watching season 1. Watched the beginning of episode 1 a while ago but stopped for some reason. Was drawn back to seeing more after hearing the science is more grounded compared to other recent movies

I'm still bummed that they cancelled making Consider Phlebas from the Culture series (I forget if it was into a movie or show). I read it's because of Bank's estate saying they weren't ready. Kinda surprising, since Bezos is a fan of the books and was probably personally pushing for it

Maybe they can work something out with Netflix in the future. If only to see the water filled Stanford Torus (space ring habitat) from the first book in the series come to life. The cover of Consider Phlebas really drew me in to that series in the first place; so I'm there for any show or movie depicting water worlds outside earth
It was to be a TV show and I agree with been very disappointed that it didn't come into fruition. That said, I respect the estate's decision. They didn't think it was the right time for The Culture to be given a live action adaptation.

Also, I think starting with Consider Phlebas would have been the wrong decision if it had gone ahead. Seeing the Culture from the outside looking in as an enemy fighting against it may have given viewers unfamiliar with the books a wrong impression of the Culture. Starting with The Player of Games may have worked better.

One thing that a bummer we won't see is

Drummer as the most powerful human in the system, at least for a while.
Also,

The Bobbie v Amos fight

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how they'll be writing out Alex as Cas isn't returning to play him in season 6. Do we think they'll actually give an end to the character in some way or just a throw away reference to him in season 6 at some point? They filmed all of season 5 before the allegations and such right? So I'm guessing he's fully in season 5 and doesn't have a clear ending or anything.
Yes, they filmed all of season 5 before the allegations became public, so chances are that the allegations do not affect the season. I guess it's not totally out of the question that they might have been able to do something in post-production, but I think it's doubtful that they'd be able to edit up anything that seemed like a proper character ending. Most likely they'll need to figure out some way to drop the character in season six via the mechanism of dialogue from other characters.

You know, for Jeff Amazon having all the money in the world and seeming to really like this show I'm sure if he really wanted to he could throw some of his pocket money to the show and they could figure out a way to do the other books too.
It might not just have been money. The Expanse started production in 2014, so by the time it finishes in (presumably) 2021, it'll have been seven years of work for the cast and crew. Seven years is long enough to expect that several of the cast would start thinking about moving to something different, and that'd be especially true if the only way to continue the show was to commit to another three seasons and the additional time in make-up they'd need for those seasons.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
What are people thinking the 6th season will cover? Wasnt there a giant time skip between book 6 and book 7?

Im thrilled it was able to get the Amazon seasons, and just the fact that they are going in knowing season 6 will be their last and can plan accordingly. Also sounds like the author is talking about other shows that could be coming in the future.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
What are people thinking the 6th season will cover? Wasnt there a giant time skip between book 6 and book 7?

Im thrilled it was able to get the Amazon seasons, and just the fact that they are going in knowing season 6 will be their last and can plan accordingly. Also sounds like the author is talking about other shows that could be coming in the future.
Book 6 mostly with elements of 7-9 to wrap up the overarching narrative.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Book 6 mostly with elements of 7-9 to wrap up the overarching narrative.
Nice. I skipped books 4, 5, and 6, so at least ill be able to go back and read them. I think it would be a good idea to end it there and then maybe show a bit of what life is like during the time skip in an epilogue of sorts. If they even do decide to go with the time skip in the show.

Thanks, this kinda caught me off guard and im going through the rest of the thread now lol.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
my guess is he's going to leave off-screen...he most likely reunites with his family on Mars and decides to stay there
IT6yz6u.jpg

Replace Poochie with Alex.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
What are people thinking the 6th season will cover?
Book 6 with maybe an extended epilogue. Possibly set-up for future spin-offs - I wouldn't think spin-offs have a very high chance of happening, but there are several stories/characters that would provide an opportunity for that, and none of them would be difficult to nod towards.

I think it would be a good idea to end it there and then maybe show a bit of what life is like during the time skip in an epilogue of sorts. If they even do decide to go with the time skip in the show.
I don't think there's much of a point in them doing a time jump, at least not of the kind the books do. The way the characters are positioned at the start of book 7 isn't how you'd want your time with those characters to end (naturally, since it's not intended as an ending for any of them) and it doesn't take long for book 7 to start doing things that really wouldn't feel very epilogue-like.

A shorter jump (say, five years) to show how the ending of the sixth season/book played out afterwards would probably be a good way to end the show.

IT6yz6u.jpg

Replace Poochie with Alex.
Since we might indeed need it later:

IYOfabC.png

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah fuck, I didn't see that the sixth was gonna be the final season.

I guess we're not getting the full story. :(

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hadnt heard about the stuff involving Cas Anvar's actor.

Ah fuck, I didn't see that the sixth was gonna be the final season.

I guess we're not getting the full story. :(
Yea they just announced it today :(

Posting this tweet since it doesnt look like it has been in here yet. It does sound kind of hopeful for the Expanse, even if this show is ending at season 6.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
oh season 6 is the last even though the book series isn't ending?
booooo

might check out the books afterwards

Oct 26, 2017
Bezos loves the book and series. I really want to know what led to this decision. And I wonder what that Corey twitter account is hinting at. Too many questions!

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
oh season 6 is the last even though the book series isn't ending?
booooo

might check out the books afterwards
Well theres one more book coming out next year, then they are moving on to a new sci fi trilogy thats supposed to be a different genre of sci fi. Like a Frank Hubert's Dune type of sci fi.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hadnt heard about the stuff involving Cas Anvar's actor.

Yea they just announced it today :(

Posting this tweet since it doesnt look like it has been in here yet. It does sound kind of hopeful for the Expanse, even if this show is ending at season 6.

These sound like they will do movies

But I don't have any hope

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that tweet I posted is what had me wondering what he meant since I read it lol.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
cas gone with a sixth and final season? i'm down with that. hope they make it a good one

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'm really looking forward to this, but what I'd really love is Amazon or Netflix to say to J Michael Straczynski 'Here's enough money to make 5 12 ep seasons, go remake B5 without the bloat required for 26 show seasons and different enough than WB won't sue us.'

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's okay for shows to end. If y'all need further conclusion, there's always the book. If y'all need more then that, novellas. More then that? There's a table top rpg you can play and tell and live your own stories.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
At least its an ending they know well in advance and can plan for, instead of the S3 cancelation where they had to rush through an entire book in half a season.

Looking forward to the next two seasons for sure.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
As long they can tie up major loose story arcs in neat as possible ways I don't mind series ending. At least they have warning about the coming end, so to say, instead of just axing the series at end of latest season.

"but... but there is books and... stuff" is also somewhat copout always when reasoning why it's okay that e.g. series or set of movies leave story arc unfinished even when production knew ending was coming. Vast majority of viewers will never go for those books and such, instead will just feel bit burnt as stuff is left unresolved.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Oh man can't wait. Haven't love a space show this much since battle star galatica. Hopefully then land the ending of the show.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see how they tie some of the stuff up with the end game given they set some of those things up throughout the series.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Daniel Abraham, one of the writers of the books and executive producer on the show, has made some comments in a reddit thread about a possible movie.

r/TheExpanse - Expanse Movie Trilogy

74 votes and 60 comments so far on Reddit

One in particular stood out to me in response to this comment:

Edit* Put a spoiler on the comment he was replying to because it has the names of some things in the later books that might be a slight spolier
Please just leave things open at the end of season 6! Give us a little taste of closure on the romans and goths, but leave open the possibility of later material covering the Laconia arc! Please please please please please! LOVE YOU

"I'm not gonna talk about anything, but I'll say I am very happy creatively with how things are going."

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Abraham, one of the writers of the books and executive producer on the show, has made some comments in a reddit thread about a possible movie.

r/TheExpanse - Expanse Movie Trilogy

74 votes and 60 comments so far on Reddit

One in particular stood out to me:

"I'm not gonna talk about anything, but I'll say I am very happy creatively with how things are going."
Makes sense to end the current story arc with season 6 with an open ending and the possibility of completing the final arc via movies.