• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Thought it was all great, just finished tonight. Naomi's story-line was fantastic. It does feel like the whole season could have been condensed but I enjoyed the ride and drama throughout. I like shows that let things breathe a little. Weird way to send Alex off but it'd be more unrealistic to just retire back to Mars and be with his son, etc. A re-cast wouldn't have felt right either. Felt sudden but I imagine it was mostly done in post-production and reshoots.

Also funny enough to me, something I totally missed in Book 8 that was used a lot in Season 4.
Totally forgot Amos name was Timmy unless that was new in this season compared to the books. Because I never made that connection when he used that name in 8 with Duarte's daughter. The pitfalls of reading books 3 years apart I guess.

I think I'd agree with others in the season rankings: 3>>1>5>>>>2>4.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

Earlier it was asked for a breakdown of the large battle in the last episode. Someone put in work on this. I had wondered "where did this laser drone thing come from", not realizing that was the roci peppering an inaros ship with rail gun hits.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017

Earlier it was asked for a breakdown of the large battle in the last episode. Someone put in work on this. I had wondered "where did this laser drone thing come from", not realizing that was the roci peppering an inaros ship with rail gun hits.

Good breakdown. I had rewatched the battle twice during the episode to put it together but that video does a better job explaining it. I think the whole sequence would be pretty clear if it was just shown from one perspective, the switching around made it a bit confusing.

The Freespace 2 similarities story wise I had gone into a bit back made me think of the game in another way - the briefing screen. Would make for a great way to break down each battle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Watching these space battles make me think just how difficult it would be to depict the space battles in the The Culture series. Some of those take place in a blink of an human eye. One battle in particular takes place and the ship Mind has to explain to the protagonist that what she's watching is actually a replay of the battle which she completely missed.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Watching these space battles make me think just how difficult it would be to depict the space battles in the The Culture series. Some of those take place in a blink of an human eye. One battle in particular takes place and the ship Mind has to explain to the protagonist that what she's watching is actually a replay of the battle which she completely missed.
Yeah you'd have to do them from the minds perception of time. But this is why the culture series is often felt to be untranslatable to film - which is one of the things that makes it such great literature.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah you'd have to do them from the minds perception of time. But this is why the culture series is often felt to be untranslatable to film - which is one of the things that makes it such great literature.
Indeed. I do however think that the general media viewing public are quite ready to see the post-scarcity, liberal utopia with a pinch of anarchism depicted in live action. The Banks Estate however isn't so sure it seems, hence the cancellation of Consider Phlebas.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Indeed. I do however think that the general media viewing public are quite ready to see the post-scarcity, liberal utopia with a pinch of anarchism depicted in live action. The Banks Estate however isn't so sure it seems, hence the cancellation of Consider Phlebas.
I don't know The Culture but I am very much gonna be investigating because of this post.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think the video really highlight how hard it is to translate The Expanse's battles from book to TV. On the latter they just look like a bunch of ships firing at... something. And another problem is that I believe they made really some bad calls in terms of visuals, stuff like how big the epstein drive plumes are or the effects of a rail cannon firing. I loved the scene in episode 7 where it's just the Rocinante defending itself against a bunch of missiles because of how clear everything was.

I think battles form The Culture would actually be easier, as there would be more freedom is how to approach them. And the timeframe is not really a problem. In one of the imaginary episodes I build in my head for that, alas dead, tv series there would be a space battle told from a mind's pov, which would look like a normal space battle. And only after the audience would realize everything that they saw took place in like 2 seconds.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know The Culture but I am very much gonna be investigating because of this post.
It's fantastic science fiction and beloved by many. You'll get differing opinions on what book to start with, but generally speaking, The Player of Games is often touted as the one to start with, because Consider Phlebas is considered a weak entry point into the series. Personally, I feel Look to Windward and Use of Weapons followed by Surface Detail serve as a great introduction to the series. Those three books have some of the best world-building and characters and also expound upon just what makes The Culture tick. After those, you can pick and choose what to read. It should also be noted that The State of the Art is a collection of short stories with two 'Culture' tales.

That's the order of publication.
  1. Consider Phlebas (1987)
  2. The Player of Games (1988)
  3. Use of Weapons (1990)
  4. The State of the Art (1991)
  5. Excession (1996)
  6. Inversions (1998)
  7. Look to Windward (2000)
  8. Matter (2008)
  9. Surface Detail (2010)
  10. The Hydrogen Sonata (2012)

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
That was terrific.

Good way to go out for Alex. My only complaint is that I'm not sure I'd love Bull as an Alex replacement. I don't think getting a 1:1 replica is necessary, but the Roci needs a more comedic/optimistic presence to fill the void at pilot imo.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Ignoring everything in this thread, but I gotta rant. I've been binging the show, lots to love (Avasarala and Amos) and lots to hate (everything else). I'm watching season 4, episode 4, and this show has fell of a cliff man. Murty is a fucking Saturday morning cartoon villain. Naomi's "I don't wanna tell anyone I'm having a fucking heart attack" nonsense is tiresome. Bobbi's Mars stuff feels irrelevant. Avasarala's hubby got recast with an inferior actor.

Please tell me shit gets better. :|

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring everything in this thread, but I gotta rant. I've been binging the show, lots to love (Avasarala and Amos) and lots to hate (everything else). I'm watching season 4, episode 4, and this show has fell of a cliff man. Murty is a fucking Saturday morning cartoon villain. Naomi's "I don't wanna tell anyone I'm having a fucking heart attack" nonsense is tiresome. Bobbi's Mars stuff feels irrelevant. Avasarala's hubby got recast with an inferior actor.

The latter half of season 4 does get better.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Gets better. While I liked parts of that season, it's the weakest one.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Just caught up with the S5 finale. That was...surprising.

Legit joked with my partner that maybe Alex would die suddenly in the last episode and...there it is. Quite surprised they didn't just wait and kill him off between seasons, and to be honest it was so abrupt and shocking that it just totally distracted me from the rest of the episode, but I can of course appreciate their desire to deal with this now rather than leave people hanging.

Honestly didn't mind the whole stroke thing. People die like that all the time so I kinda like it when shows throw "realistic" curveballs like that even if it's not terribly satisfying (like when Kal Penn left House and he just committed suicide out of nowhere).

The final shot of Alex looked really awkward though, but I guess they just had to repurpose existing footage so watcha gonna do?

Props to them for organising reshoots, must've been a huge pain in the ass especially with COVID. I wonder how long ago they were filmed.

Last edited:

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Finished season 5 yesterday, loved it.

What are the chances this gets picked back up in the future to finish the last three books?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I wasn't aware of the cas Anwar controversy but I totally figured it was something like this when I saw how awkward and out of nowhere the solution they found was. It was almost comedic. Guess they didn't really had a choice, but it was a "poochie died on the way back to his planet" moment.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
It's fantastic science fiction and beloved by many. You'll get differing opinions on what book to start with, but generally speaking, The Player of Games is often touted as the one to start with, because Consider Phlebas is considered a weak entry point into the series. Personally, I feel Look to Windward and Use of Weapons followed by Surface Detail serve as a great introduction to the series. Those three books have some of the best world-building and characters and also expound upon just what makes The Culture tick. After those, you can pick and choose what to read. It should also be noted that The State of the Art is a collection of short stories with two 'Culture' tales.

3. Use of Weapons (1990)
  5. Excession (1996)
  6. Inversions (1998)
  8. Matter (2008)
  9. Surface Detail (2010)

I still haven't read The Hydrogen Sonata, I think probably because I know that when I have read it, there is no more.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017

3. Use of Weapons (1990)
  5. Excession (1996)
  6. Inversions (1998)
  8. Matter (2008)
  9. Surface Detail (2010)
You're doing good work here!

Brilliant series. Now I want to read it all over again.

Jyester

Oct 27, 2017

Season 4 is really rough. As far as I can remember, there wasn't a noticeable jump in quality near the end. However, season 5 is one of my favorites. Lots of extremely compelling performance and a "villain" that will make you forget Morty was even a thing.

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, some of those battles are instant, was that Excession? It's a shame about Consider Phlebas, especially since it's probably the easiest of the Culture books to bring to screen, that or maybe Player of Games. I thought about the latter a lot when I was watching Queen's Gambit, they made chess engaging on screen, imagine what they could do for PoG

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the youtube explanations, the space battle still didn't make much sense regarding to the respective positions of the ships in that fight.

People getting confused is not a surprise, and I honestly don't consider this battle good or even realistic because of that.

Was pretty though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't read The Hydrogen Sonata, I think probably because I know that when I have read it, there is no more.
I know that feeling, but there are other non-Culture science fiction books from Iain M. Banks that are worth checking out. Against A Dark Background, Feersum Endjinn, The Algebriast, and Transition which was published under his Ian Banks moniker in the UK.

Oct 25, 2017

Much deeper explanation and break down (great channel to follow too). You do need to see the battle more than once to appreciate the detail in it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Season 4 is really rough. As far as I can remember, there wasn't a noticeable jump in quality near the end. However, season 5 is one of my favorites. Lots of extremely compelling performance and a "villain" that will make you forget Morty was even a thing.

I'm struggling hard. I'm up to episode 7, just have it playing on TV in the background. The show has become background TV to me, WTF! The entire season feels like a soap opera in quality, from the writing, the direction, to the acting. If season 5 doesn't improve dramatically, I'll have to drop it which is something that hurts to type.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
You're doing good work here!

Brilliant series. Now I want to read it all over again.

Thanks. It's my favourite science fiction series by far.
How are books 7-9 compared to the rest?
It's a good story arc, but feels a little more fantastical than the previous more grounded science fiction of the first 6 books.

The main characters are older, grizzled and more cynical than previously depicted and you are left feeling a bit robbed of seeing more of their adventures in their primes.
Yeah, some of those battles are instant, was that Excession? It's a shame about Consider Phlebas, especially since it's probably the easiest of the Culture books to bring to screen, that or maybe Player of Games. I thought about the latter a lot when I was watching Queen's Gambit, they made chess engaging on screen, imagine what they could do for PoG
The instantaneous battle occurred in Surface Detail where the Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints kicks the asses of the GFCF fleet. Those cute, blue sycophants who worship The Culture, but completely miss the point of what they represent. I've long thought that was Iain having a go at certain Culture fans.

I wonder what he would have thought of Elon Musk using Culture ship names in his space project and trying to develop Neural Lace technology etc. I'd imagine he'd be scathing.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018

Season 4 is a masterpiece compared to 5! Enjoy it whilst you can, it's soon time for the Naomi woe-show.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Season 4 is a masterpiece compared to 5! Enjoy it whilst you can, it's soon time for the Naomi woe-show.

tenor.gif

I've become more merciless as I get older, when it comes to dropping various media. I used to be a completionist in my younger days. But life's too short...

btw, can someone spoil something for me, I just want to check if this is a plot hole or what. During season 2 or 3, there was a lingering shot of some protomolecule in the bowels of the Rocinante (to infer that the crew missed it while cleaning up the aftermath of getting rid of the hybrid), but I'm nearing the end of season 4 and this was never brought up again. Surely that little glob would have sucked on the ship's engines and gotten bigger?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm struggling hard. I'm up to episode 7, just have it playing on TV in the background. The show has become background TV to me, WTF! The entire season feels like a soap opera in quality, from the writing, the direction, to the acting. If season 5 doesn't improve dramatically, I'll have to drop it which is something that hurts to type.

it's not a background TV show, one of the writers even publicly lamented this recently. people who only watch when there's dialogue are going to miss a lot

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
For anyone still a little confused by the 5v1 battle, the most simplistic breakdown I think is this (which I'm skipping the names of the other ships on, partially taken from some of the observations from the breakdown video):

Starting fleet is 5 Free Navy (2 MCRN ships with hardliners [1 heavy frigate, 1 patrol destroyer], 3 Belter ships with Drummer and mixed loyalty Belters)
Roci [corvette] is coming in to battle with low PDC ammo and fewer torpedoes, but has the most experienced combat crew. The Roci has a rail cannon, but needs to come well within torpedo distance to use it.

1o1 Roci could beat any of the five Free Navy ships aside from the Heavy Frigate.

For approach, it seems to be something like this: (B = Belter, D = Drummer, R = Roci, FNF = Free Navy Frigate, FND = Free Navy Destroyer)
... B>... FNF>
D> ... B> ...... FND> ................... <R

To open, Drummer launches several torpedoes by surprise and disables one of the two other Belter ships (the one with more Free Navy loyalists presumably). This reduces the fleet immediately to 4 (or, well, 3 since Drummer has taken her ship out of the Free Navy ranks by doing this).

Drummer then orders a stand down order to the other Belter ship (to which it complies) and fires all available torpedoes at the Patrol Destroyer.

The torpedoes spread to both sides of the target, resulting in it utilizing all PDCs in defense. While it is defending itself, Roci comes into range and disables it with two shots.

At this point now two Free Navy ships are out of commission (counting the disabled Belter ships as on), another has stood down, and Drummer controls a fourth. The Roci and the Belter ship that stood down are the only ones with any fighting capacity left.

The Roci and Heavy Frigate engage (with the Roci 'ahead' of the Frigate after a turn and burn) basically tossing every torpedo either has at the other and using some as interceptors.

The two are able to fend off the other's salvo (Roci using some cautious firing to conserve ammo), meanwhile the remaining armed Belter ships fires a crapton of Belter torpedoes at the Frigate. These are known to be not nearly as good as MCRN ones though. The sheer number and approach angles force the Frigate (like the patrol destoyer before it) to engage all PDCs in defense, with a few almost making it through. Meanwhile the Roci has cut thrust and begins to pelt the Frigate with rail shots, eventually hitting one straight down the keel taking out the reactor and destroying it.

So end result of battle is 1 Belter ship disabled, 1 Free Navy patrol destroyer disabled, Drummer's ship fully intact but out of torpedoes, Roci fully intact but out of torpedoes and probably PDC ammo.

I'm not 100% certain on the above layout (and it's a 2D representation of a 3D battle), but it's what I think the layout is based on the battle. The Roci does a flip and burn that results in the Free Navy ships effectively overtaking it.

Last edited:

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes lol. I actually really liked S4 and didn't care too much about S5. :-P

Vinimaw

Oct 28, 2017
btw, can someone spoil something for me, I just want to check if this is a plot hole or what. During season 2 or 3, there was a lingering shot of some protomolecule in the bowels of the Rocinante (to infer that the crew missed it while cleaning up the aftermath of getting rid of the hybrid), but I'm nearing the end of season 4 and this was never brought up again. Surely that little glob would have sucked on the ship's engines and gotten bigger?

Don't worry about it, just finish the season 4 ;)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
it's not a background TV show, one of the writers even publicly lamented this recently. people who only watch when there's dialogue are going to miss a lot

It's directed like a soap opera. Boring static shots of characters vomiting exposition dumps. Minor actors and extras behaving like automatons (the crowd mob scenes on New Terra were hysterical). The writing is Godawful. Especially the corporate army dudes. Avasarala is a caricature, they massacred that character.

The show is on the background because listening to characters spouting soap opera dialogue at one another is a betrayal of the thought-provoking dilemmas the previous three seasons explored. There's no momentum, no nuance, it's like a completely different show to me.

Argh, I'm pissed off. I'm curious about season 5 though, if there is a change of tone, so I'll stick with it at least till then. Mi gonya kom wámotim.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes lol. I actually really liked S4 and didn't care too much about S5. :-P

S4 went up for me on rewatch. I think the crew being together and the story being pretty focused helped a lot, plus any stretch with Miller is great. I also like the change in setting from mostly space ships to an alien world.

S5 I did enjoy a lot, but it felt like it was spinning its wheels for long stretch during the middle stretch of the season. I had stated previously that somehow S5 felt both too short (since some characters got to do very little for most of the season, notable Bobbi/Alex after their initial bit on Mars) and too long (Naomi's). So I guess rather misbalanced. I also feel S5 had a huge, rare miss in the handling of the meteor strike aftermath - the scale of the attack we saw didn't seem to align with the level of collapse that was being described on Earth. So while Amos/Peaches' storyline was great, it never felt like there was any real danger to them and it sorta felt like most Earthers were incompetent fools as opposed to smart people put in an impossible situation. Also I don't know if it's the same as in the book, but Gao's ship being close enough to one of two meteor strikes to go down felt like one of those insane cosmic coincidences that should be avoided in storytelling.

S1-S4 also all had some manner of grand mystery/conspiracy being investigated, while S5 was more about the aftermath of all that craziness.

I think I also realized there was a bit of a structural issue - the way the season was written seemed misaligned with the one-per-week release. It was paced like a bingable Amazon release but scheduled like it was still on SyFy. So I do think on rewatch it I will enjoy it more.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's directed like a soap opera. Boring static shots of characters vomiting exposition dumps. Minor actors and extras behaving like automatons (the crowd mob scenes on New Terra were hysterical). The writing is Godawful. Especially the corporate army dudes. Avasarala is a caricature, they massacred that character.

The show is on the background because listening to characters spouting soap opera dialogue at one another is a betrayal of the thought-provoking dilemmas the previous three seasons explored. There's no momentum, no nuance, it's like a completely different show to me.

Argh, I'm pissed off. I'm curious about season 5 though, if there is a change of tone, so I'll stick with it at least till then. Mi gonya kom wámotim.

there is definitely something different about S4 and on my first watch through I didn't enjoy it as much as I do now. there really isn't any wasted space when it comes to runtime though, stuff that might seem irrelevant now do have payoff/ramifications for the story at large. S5 has a great arc for Amos, and I enjoyed it generally although it does seem a bit divisive in this thread.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I feel like if I ever met that Murtry actor in real life I'd inadvertently punch him in the face. That poor typecast fool.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
S4 was so much better than 5. 5 was soooooooo slow. Normally this shows really moves. Season 4 slowed down a bit but each episode escalated and things actually happened. 5 was a slog and barely anything was resolved at the end. Naomi made it back, great, but it took 10 episodes for that to happen? I enjoyed the season but it's definitely my least favorite so far.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Just caught up with the S5 finale. That was...surprising.

Legit joked with my partner that maybe Alex would die suddenly in the last episode and...there it is. Quite surprised they didn't just wait and kill him off between seasons, and to be honest it was so abrupt and shocking that it just totally distracted me from the rest of the episode, but I can of course appreciate their desire to deal with this now rather than leave people hanging.

Honestly didn't mind the whole stroke thing. People die like that all the time so I kinda like it when shows throw "realistic" curveballs like that even if it's not terribly satisfying (like when Kal Penn left House and he just committed suicide out of nowhere).

The final shot of Alex looked really awkward though, but I guess they just had to repurpose existing footage so watcha gonna do?

Props to them for organising reshoots, must've been a huge pain in the ass especially with COVID. I wonder how long ago they were filmed.
yea the reshoots felt a bit too obvious

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
ah shit in my headcanon AADB was a culture novel, just without the culture in it xD
I can see that yeah. I do the same with Transition, and imagine it's set in a time when The Culture have invented a form a multiverse travel akin to Quantum Leap's body hopping and 'Concern' are future Special Circumtances.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I like both 4 and 5. 4 had Murtry as a great asshole and all the dormant alien security measures being activated by the protomolecule were ace. I like frontier stories as well.

5 had some of the best acting of the series, Amos, Naomi and Drummer in particular. I enjoyed all of their arcs, thought Marco was a great villain and the finale was excellent, with a great set-up for S6. Lots of Peaches is a plus as well. I really liked all the Naomi stuff, I thought it had some of the most powerful scenes of the entire run and Dominique Tipper has never acted better.

Went back to S1 now that Ty and that guy are going back to it, but I couldn't wait for the podcast and watched five episodes already. Probably like it even more than my first watch. Such a good series.

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
I completely missed the part where rocinante fucking circle strafed around the enemy ship.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I like both 4 and 5. 4 had Murtry as a great asshole
Burn Gorman gets a lot of attention for his work playing creepy and unpleasant villains, but not enough attention for his sick beatboxing skills:

I completely missed the part where rocinante fucking circle strafed around the enemy ship.
I didn't understand what I was looking at when I saw it the first time; I thought it was some weird drone or something. This breakdown was helpful.