• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
My favorite part was in Baltimore where Peaches is trying to connect to Amos' friend at an emotional level in order to make him understand. The whole time Amos has a blank look on his face like, "what the fuck is going on". He doesn't understand anything at that level and is operating from purely instincts and self preservation, so he has no clue what Peaches is trying to do or why his friend wants to stay and probably die in Baltimore. In the end he still asks "so you still coming or what".

I dont know if I am a fan of watching Naomi get tortured endlessly. There is just no reprieve. I want that story to end now.

Drummer needs to go absolutely scorched earth. If anyone can take out Marco its her.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite part was in Baltimore where Peaches is trying to connect to Amos' friend at an emotional level in order to make him understand. The whole time Amos has a blank look on his face like, "what the fuck is going on". He doesn't understand anything at that level and is operating from purely instincts and self preservation, so he has no clue what Peaches is trying to do or why his friend wants to stay and probably die in Baltimore. In the end he still asks "so you still coming or what".

I dont know if I am a fan of watching Naomi get tortured endlessly. There is just no reprieve. I want that story to end now.

Drummer needs to go absolutely scorched earth. If anyone can take out Marco its her.
That's good insight about Amos.

I don't want to see Naomi tortured, but I do really appreciate how they've shown her working out a solution to her problems without her ever spouting exposition about it. It feels so much more realistic and has such a better payoff when you realize what she's doing! And it's just a sign of confidence in the audience by the director and writer.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Holy crap that was an intense episode. Naomi putting herself though that airlock stuff was tough to watch. The acting is just...wow.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
decnt27-869e149a-ab4a-43af-89a7-cb48243edb34.png

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Very tense episode. Truly a superb display of human self preservation and perseverance by Naomi, really moving.

Loved how the radio delivered during the credits. Very effective sound design.

Also, have you all noticed how Amos is totally out of the conversation with his friend and Peaches ? He's totally left out when she tried to convince him going on an emotional level and he has to ask " are you in or not " because he has no clue about what happened and if it worked. Loved it, subtles and then classic Amos.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Found this season to be pretty boring so far, I like seeing Amos and Clarissa trekking around Earth but all the other subplots aren't that gripping. Holden's peaked a while ago with Fred but has been rudderless since. And it's a crying shame there isn't a greater focus on Camina and Avasarala. At least there'll probably be less family drama trite now.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Other than the literally explosive start I do feel like this season has been a little small so far. I'm sure there's more to come but it doesn't feel like a conclusion is drawing near. Loving all of it but it's just a feeling.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Found this season to be pretty boring so far, I like seeing Amos and Clarissa trekking around Earth but all the other subplots aren't that gripping. Holden's peaked a while ago with Fred but has been rudderless since. And it's a crying shame there isn't a greater focus on Camina and Avasarala. At least there'll probably be less family drama trite now.

Yesh it's been kind of an odd season. There are some very riveting parts, but they're also dragging this one out a bit. Overall though I'm not complaining.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed this episode, but I'm struggling a bit with Naomi. She was so grim and determined at the outset and was such a rock for Holden and now it seems like she spends a lot of screen time crying and feeling a bit sorry for herself. I appreciate she's sort of broken - physically and emotionally at this point - but it seems like a fairly substantial turn for the character. Maybe I'm not being fair - just seems like a shift in tone.
This is fucking dead on.

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed this episode, but I'm struggling a bit with Naomi. She was so grim and determined at the outset and was such a rock for Holden and now it seems like she spends a lot of screen time crying and feeling a bit sorry for herself. I appreciate she's sort of broken - physically and emotionally at this point - but it seems like a fairly substantial turn for the character. Maybe I'm not being fair - just seems like a shift in tone.

Her child directly participated in the murder of millions.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

She has been a rock for Holden, but up to this point the problems were not about her personally. She's been a rock for others who needed it. Now she's having to directly tackle her own past and the situation she's in with regard to finding out her son is still alive and has been brainwashed by her father and is an accomplice in the deaths of millions of lives... yeah I'd say it's a bit unfair to compare her mental state now vs. the past.

Both her and Amos are on a personal journey for themselves instead of simply being there to prop up Holden.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
To be fair. Naomi has been putting up a front for decades. But now she can't run away anymore. And not only that she is being put face to face with the subjects of her anguish. She wants to do the right thing and she wants to be a mother, but that chance was ripped away from her and now her only child has been turned into a monster by the one who kidnapped him.

Like imagine if you had a child kidnapped, only to find them 18 years later and they are causing crimes against humanity on a scale that is literally worse than hitler. It would break you at your core, you would hate yourself and keep on thinking that if only you had tried harder to find them. If you were there you could have stopped them. And all those thoughts.

If there is one person who has the right to be broken right now. It's Naomi.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
She has been a rock for Holden, but up to this point the problems were not about her personally. She's been a rock for others who needed it. Now she's having to directly tackle her own past and the situation she's in with regard to finding out her son is still alive and has been brainwashed by her father and is an accomplice in the deaths of millions of lives... yeah I'd say it's a bit unfair to compare her mental state now vs. the past.

Both her and Amos are on a personal journey for themselves instead of simply being there to prop up Holden.
Yep.

This season is basically all about Naomi and Amos. They're the heavy lifters this season, barring whatever happens in these last 2 episodes.

Holden's been in what, 1 fight/gun battle scene, and then the occasional check in's while on the Roci.
Alex and Bobbi got the on Mars stuff and the little boarding party fight, otherwise alot of work in the giant gyro-set.
Even Averserala has been a bit quiet since stopping the rocks.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair. Naomi has been putting up a front for decades. But now she can't run away anymore. And not only that she is being put face to face with the subjects of her anguish. She wants to do the right thing and she wants to be a mother, but that chance was ripped away from her and now her only child has been turned into a monster by the one who kidnapped him.

If there is one person who has the right to be broken right now. It's Naomi.
yeah this is fair

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Another dumb question: why Naomi didn't just cut the wire at the end to stop the transmission?
She's already gotten the message from Alex at that point so she's trying to perform a very dangerous balancing act. She needs someone to arrive to help her, but she also needs whoever that is to be distrustful of the original message (to avoid them getting exploded), and also reassured enough by the revised message that they are happy to wait and scope out the situation (which is why she alters it to say that she is in control).

If the message stopped after that, that would present Alex with a puzzle of why it stopped - and he might conclude that there had been a systems failure or that there was someone else on the ship and that Naomi was in imminent danger. Either of those conclusions might cause him to decide to get close to the ship to examine it or to dock with it, and Naomi doesn't want that to happen.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
She's already gotten the message from Alex at that point so she's trying to perform a very dangerous balancing act. She needs someone to arrive to help her, but she also needs whoever that is to be distrustful of the original message (to avoid them getting exploded), and also reassured enough by the revised message that they are happy to wait and scope out the situation (which is why she alters it to say that she is in control).

If the message stopped after that, that would present Alex with a puzzle of why it stopped - and he might conclude that there had been a systems failure or that there was someone else on the ship and that Naomi was in imminent danger. Either of those conclusions might cause him to decide to get close to the ship to examine it or to dock with it, and Naomi doesn't want that to happen.
That makes sense. Thanks!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This season has been solid but it's a bummer that it feels focused on comparatively small stuff again, in terms of scale. It's frustrating how they've managed to make terrorist attacks that killed billions of people feel so insignificant.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

This is fucking dead on.

The past she buried deep has come back to haunt her, hence the change in her mental state. She isn't Amos, able to disassociate, so it's no wonder she's hit rock bottom. It makes her will to survive and try to save her son and friends in the last 2 episodes all the more remarkable and gripping, IMO.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, my god, Episode 8! I completely, completely lost it at the final revelation of: This is Naomi Nagata -- Tell James Holden -- I am in -- control. And then her altered broadcast looping over the credit sequence. It hadn't fully clicked for me what Naomi was doing until we first heard her altered transmission in full. I know she was trying to alter it some form, but hadn't realized her cleverness with it. NAOMI NAGATA! It sounds hyperbolic, but the last minute of the show + credits is now one of my favorite moments of television. Naomi has been through absolute hell this season, mostly emotional and then physical, and for her to go through all that, and still find a way out of a seemingly unwinnable situation? Goddamn chills. It felt like she got her power back, when she'd been at the mercy of the Free Navy all season.

S8 has definitely been Naomi's season, and Tipper has completely outdone herself, particularly with Episode 8. As a credit to Tipper along with the writing, it could have easily been quite grating for Naomi to be trapped by the Free Navy for a season and doing a lot of crying throughout, but instead there's still an incredible strength to Naomi even as she tries not to crumble from her past catching up with her present, along with her love of Holden and the Roci crew. The casting choices for Marco and Filip Inaros were incredible, along with great writing to support both characters. Marco is a charismatic, narcissistic, gaslighting piece of shit, but you could see why he and Naomi were once together -- the flashback with Marco, Naomi, and baby Filip was a gut punch. Filip torn between his parents in S8 and tentatively trying to reconnect with Naomi has lead to some beautiful and heartbreaking scenes.

Gee's Drummer has been another highlight this season, and man, those screams of rage when she thinks Naomi is dead. Go get 'em, Drummer. The dynamic between Amos and Peaches has also been great, with one of my favorite scenes of the season being Peaches explaining her poem (ending with ''monsters aren't afraid"), and Amos realizing his own lack of fear means how badly he needs to be back with the Roci crew to keep his moral compass in check. Amos' character development between S1 to S5 has been such a gift.

I will say, though, this season has been my least favorite of the five. That isn't because it's bad, it's just my favorite aspects of The Expanse are the Roci crew together + terrifying protomolecule antics/alien which haven't been at the forefront of this season. That being said, for what little I know of the books, I know there is a lot of important set-up happening, so there should be some good pay-off in S6. One disappointment I had with the earlier episodes is that we saw some of Marco's plans from his POV (it was pretty clear that there would be more than one asteroid), whereas I would have preferred if we'd stuck with Avasarala unraveling the mystery, before the full extent of the horror is revealed. As others have said above, I feel like the scale of the devastation on Earth hasn't fully come across on-screen.

It's an interesting point. I know I'm going to sound obnoxious, but browsing on your phone whilst watching a film or a television show seems so odd to me. Using you phone during ad breaks I can 100% understand, but during a streamed show that has no ad breaks? Bizarre. That being said, I know people who multi-task while watching tv (they might be finishing up other physical work so they put a light comedy on, or older family members might be do a crossword), but they never do it with anything really plot-heavy. I'll sometimes put on Critical Role on while I'm cleaning/doing light work that doesn't involve a lot of concentration, but as Critical Role has a lot of down time, it doesn't always matter if it's not my primary focus. At any rate, to each their own, but I can't get my head around the phone thing!

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
This latest episode (s5e8) might be my favorite of the series because of this: I believed every moment on that ship with Naomi -- damn near zero dialogue but I was with her every step of the way.

So incredibly damn well done, from Dominique to the camera attention and movements. I'm so jazzed that we get to enjoy this level of sci-fi excellence nowadays.

Last edited:

repeater

Oct 27, 2017
This episode was physically intense to watch. Amazing television.

I really badly want Drummer to go absolutely ballistic on Marco.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I still feel a big bad hasnt revealed themselves. Somebody is pulling the strings here behind the Free Navy.
Holden basically confirmed as much when talking about the ships he got. I haven't read the books past this point so my theory is based purely on speculation and some hints from this season but: Pierre Mao would be a fun candidate and would follow as he wants revenge on Earth and Mars