• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"This is Niaomi Nagata. Tell James Holden I am in Control."

I thought she was going to do some more code type transmission. But that was pretty good also. Go Niaomi!

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Good episode. That was going to be a tough thing to explain without just saying her plan out loud
The pausing of the message to change the context of the message
Was nice also showing how physically damaged she was from the trip over.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't quite get it.
She doesn't want them to come save her, so why would she give them signs that she's alive? And why would she record that message only to try and change it? Unless that recording was fabricated.

And wasn't that ship docked with the Pella? Considering neither were moving in relation to each other last episode.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wow that was wild. Cannot wait for the next episode. Ugh wish it wasn't a weekly release lol

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
That answers one question but changing the broadcast would hint that she's alive and make them even more anxious to get to her and fall into the trap.
Maybe. But the Razerback and Rocci were already on the way to rescue her. So the alternative was literal death.

Atleast this way she can try and keep them away until she can figure out how to disarm the bombs or setup a dockless boarding scenario where she jumps back out the airlock into another ship so they don't trigger the proximity mines

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't quite get it.
She doesn't want them to come save her, so why would she give them signs that she's alive? And why would she record that message only to try and change it? Unless that recording was fabricated.

And wasn't that ship docked with the Pella? Considering neither were moving in relation to each other last episode.
I think she knew that by that point in time, the fake message had been sent out for too long, and probably got picked up. If she just went and cut it off, it doesn't mean anything expect "the last bit of transmission ability I had no longer works, but I'm still here." Which still ends up being the undesirable outcome of blowing up near a friendly ship. Her options left, is either to actually get her original plan to work (of creating a new message: wasn't happening), implement pauses in the ongoing message to change the context and maybe get them to not show up, or blow the ship up before anyone gets there.

Guess the question I have, not sure if I saw it or not, is what happened after that. I don't think she can have the pauses just continue as is. I assume she has to go back and forth, doing the message pausing by hand. Either that, or she cut it completely off at the end, hoping the last messages of "being in control" is enough.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That answers one question but changing the broadcast would hint that she's alive and make them even more anxious to get to her and fall into the trap.
they already thought she was alive and were rushing to her, changing the broadcast would instead hint that they maybe shouldn't listen to the initial broadcast.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
In a season where asteroids hit Earth, this was a highly intense episode. Edge of my seat the entire time with Naomi. Can't imagine how much pain she's in after that and wonder how permanent her injuries are.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching I will post my thoughts later. But what I need right now are two gifs: 1st of Drummer losing her shit FffUuuuuu and 2nd of her downing an entire bottle. Please era.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Took me too long to realize what was happening with Naomi and the message. Wasn't until like 10 minutes after the credits rolled did it finally hit me. I have zero clue how she is going to make it out alive considering her circumstances.

ps. The water bubble scene with Drummer and Co was f'n weird

Jan 29, 2018
I really thought Drummer was just going to shoot Karal in the face when she told her Naomi was dead.

If I had to critique anything it'd be that we aren't getting much Avasrala. Her scenes have mostly been taken over by the new Secretary General.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In addition to altering the transmission, wasn't she also disarming the bombs? She was cutting all the junction boxes and making a hash mark each time. Unless that had something to do with how the transmission worked?

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
In addition to altering the transmission, wasn't she also disarming the bombs? She was cutting all the junction boxes and making a hash mark each time. Unless that had something to do with how the transmission worked?
I interpreted it as that she wasn't cutting those wires, she was selectively fuzzing out the transmission by stripping and holding the wire cutters directly on the wire. Because she didn't which wire carried the transmission, she had to play trial and error on like 16 of them, which is what the hash marks were counting. She is not able to disarm the bombs, it seems.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I interpreted it as that she wasn't cutting those wires, she was selectively fuzzing out the transmission by stripping and holding the wire cutters directly on the wire. Because she didn't which wire carried the transmission, she had to play trial and error on like 16 of them, which is what the hash marks were counting. She is not able to disarm the bombs, it seems.
Oh that makes sense. Definitely sounds better than my theory!

Sep 14, 2018
These past few episodes have been such a great showcase of Naomi and her actress, whenever she's not on screen I'm like "switch back to Naomi!".

By comparison Amos who I usually like a lot has been pretty boring since episode 2 or so.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that was intense.

I still super don't care about Amos' storyline in this season and hope it redeems itself. Naomi is the total star this season and I'm just wanting to follow her over the others.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
These past few episodes have been such a great showcase of Naomi and her actress, whenever she's not on screen I'm like "switch back to Naomi!".
Shows usually live and die by their cast and how they interact with one another. But Naomi was completely by herself with nobody to play off of for most of the episode and her actress absolutely slaughtered her scenes.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Said it last week but the actress playing Naomi is a tour de force this season.

Marcos got a super hard on for the roci and holden.

Clarissa's face when she hears Amos called Timmy lol

Transportation dude is far more capable than I thought. He's not a war strategist but he's asking good questions and not making brash decisions.

The sucking water in space scene had the most jarring CGI this season.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Naomi herself attempts to broadcast a message saying that the previous one was simulated.
Yea which is why I was confused because in that message she tells them not to come to her, and then she tampers the message telling everyone she's alive.
Drummer's crew was not even going to go to her but will probably do that now.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea which is why I was confused because in that message she tells them not to come to her, and then she tampers the message telling everyone she's alive.
Drummer's crew was not even going to go to her but will probably do that now.

You are getting confused by the message she tried to send out that no one heard at the top of the episode. She didn't even know if it was sending out. Her only option was to alter the distress call.

Peebs

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 16, 2020
Yes really, cause those characters also said she was dead.
Who would've thought unreliable characters exist?

They thought she was dead because they saw her step out an airlock with no suit. That's why they didn't pursue the ship.

Did you think Marco and Phillipe were lying about her death... to each other?

I really don't know how much clearer they could have made it. They even tweaked the actress's voice for the fake broadcast so it had that airy, intensity-free quality.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Very good episode. Next episode should be very amos centric and then the finale is getting our crew back together. And then the long wait until december.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You are getting confused by the message she tried to send out that no one heard at the top of the episode. She didn't even know if it was sending out. Her only option was to alter the distress call.
I know no one hears that one.
But she only found that out later when she got Alex's message after which she modified the broadcast to tell everyone that she's alive...which isn't really gonna stop anyone from walking into the trap.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I know no one hears that one.
But she only found that out later when she got Alex's message after which she modified the broadcast to tell everyone that she's alive...which isn't really gonna stop anyone from walking into the trap.
I assume that's going to push Drummer to go against Marco and warn the Roci and co that it's a trap

Forgrim

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That Naomi message that continued into the credits. That was damn chilling. Goosebumps, what a great episode.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
They thought she was dead because they saw her step out an airlock with no suit. That's why they didn't pursue the ship.

Did you think Marco and Phillipe were lying about her death... to each other?
I think there's a very good chance Phillip was in on it. I think he got her that O2 shot. Then again, who knows?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a very good chance Phillip was in on it. I think he got her that O2 shot. Then again, who knows?
It could be. His volte-face after the moment of tenderness he shared with Naomi did seem a little forced and suspect. Marco can influence people to a great degree with his charisma and poisonous words, but to the that extent Filip showed...