• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but in a way connected to what's happening in Book/Season 4-6.
Basically you can say without the events in 4-6, we won't have the premise of 7-9. Kind of how book/season 1-3 sets up the premise for 4-6...except it's a bit more connected here (while also being quite separate in many ways) because we learn additional information that relates to the events in 4-6.

While season 6 is a decent place to stop the show, it may make you feel like there's more story to tell as the setup for 7-9 already exists in the show. So I hope we get to see that story on screen in some form.
So if I'm about to grab book 3, I can stop after book 6 and then start the show?

Oct 29, 2017
Question about characters, not sure if they are combining them.
Is show Sauveterre the same as Duarte in the books?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm about to grab book 3, I can stop after book 6 and then start the show?
I'd stop at book 5 (Nemesis Games) otherwise you'll spoil yourself for season 6 which will be based on book 6 (Babylon's Ashes).

Question about characters, not sure if they are combining them.
Is show Sauveterre the same as Duarte in the books?
I wouldn't think so no. He's a separate character in the book, who has a rather grim ending. Duarte has already been referenced in the series via a computer screen graphic so he's a definite force in the TV show universe.

Oct 29, 2017
I'd stop at book 5 (Nemesis Games) otherwise you'll spoil yourself for season 6 which will be based on book 6 (Babylon's Ashes).

I wouldn't think so no. He's a separate character in the book, who has a rather grim ending. Duarte has already been referenced in the series via a computer screen graphic so he's a definite force in the TV show universe.
Good to know, thanks. This show is packing a lot of info in screens that I'm missing.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Does Amazon not do previews of the next episode for The Expanse? They did for their last weekly release, The Boys season 2.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
I might just rewatch the show and put off new episodes so by the time I'm caught up on rewatch they'll be ready. The wait sucks

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that. The budge for the last season didn't change, I see no reason why they would change it now. The Expanse always looked this great.
This great? It looked better than it should've on the syfy channel but it was still the syfy channel. The show has looked significantly better since coming to Prime.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
This great? It looked better than it should've on the syfy channel but it was still the syfy channel. The show has looked significantly better since coming to Prime.

It wasn't because of budget though, certainly not last season. Personally I can't notice much, really any, difference. The Expanse has always looked incredible for the most part, and both last season and this one lands on the same place. Also, check this post by Digital Dinosaur. There are other reasons the CGI can improve, so it's not entirely impossible that it did.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I did a full rewatch before this season started and the quality of the FX started high and escalated each season. S3 was pretty nuts visually and S4/S5 haven't been huge jumps over that IMO, but they have been improvements. If I compare some of the weaker S1 shots vs S5 it's pretty clear, but S1 had some punching above its weight.

Not too surprising as I would expect the library of assets to grow each season and get refined as they go (eg touch up the Roci, but don't need to make a new model from scratch anymore). Plus artists gain experience with the tools, tools themselves get better, and the show has been going along long enough that the hardware itself would have seen a jump in power.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I did a full rewatch before this season started and the quality of the FX started high and escalated each season. S3 was pretty nuts visually and S4/S5 haven't been huge jumps over that IMO, but they have been improvements. If I compare some of the weaker S1 shots vs S5 it's pretty clear, but S1 had some punching above its weight.

Not too surprising as I would expect the library of assets to grow each season and get refined as they go (eg touch up the Roci, but don't need to make a new model from scratch anymore). Plus artists gain experience with the tools, tools themselves get better, and the show has been going along long enough that the hardware itself would have seen a jump in power.

But that's an unfair comparison. There had been weaker shots in all seasons, where the shows feel like it's reaching its breaking point in terms of effects. Some interior shots of Eros Ceres come to my mind from the first season. But you will find them in all five. But if you get the best shots from the very first season, they are just as great as anything we've seen. I mean, the very first scene with Julia Mao still as breathtaking as ever.

I think S1 is still the only one that got an Emmy nomination for best visual effects. And although the Emmys suck terribly and I don't think being nominated for them is any indication of quality, I think technical categories might be more interesting.

Last edited:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
But that's an unfair comparison. There had been weaker shots in all seasons, where the shows feel like it's reaching its breaking point in terms of effects. Some interior shots of Eros come to my mind from the first season. But you will find them in all five. But if you get the best shots from the very first season, they are just as great as anything we've seen. I mean, the very first scene with Julia Mao still as breathtaking as ever.

I think S1 is still the only one that got an Emmy nomination for best visual effects. And although the Emmys suck terribly and I don't think being nominated for them is any indication of quality, I think technical categories might be more interesting.

Yeah it's unfair, which is also why I called them out as the 'weaker' ones =) Every season is going to have a few, but it's an endorsement of the Expanse VFX team that there's been so few and even the 'weak' ones are pretty remarkable for a TV show that was on SyFy and that I have to nitpick S1 to find stuff that looks unfavorable vs S5.

Off memory the only shots I remember that were even a little iffy were a few close space ship exteriors that could get a little video-game-cgi ish, but only just. I thought everything Eros related held up really well on rewatch and it's clear the directors knew what the strengths of the VFX vs the weaknesses were and avoided any shots that would look bad.

The planet surface shots for IO and Ganymeade were probably the 'weakest' of any S1-S3 shots, but were still head and shoulders above what you would expect for a basic cable SciFi show.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah it's unfair, which is also why I called them out as the 'weaker' ones =) Every season is going to have a few, but it's an endorsement of the Expanse VFX team that there's been so few and even the 'weak' ones are pretty remarkable for a TV show that was on SyFy and that I have to nitpick S1 to find stuff that looks unfavorable vs S5.

Off memory the only shots I remember that were even a little iffy were a few close space ship exteriors that could get a little video-game-cgi ish, but only just. I thought everything Eros related held up really well on rewatch and it's clear the directors knew what the strengths of the VFX vs the weaknesses were and avoided any shots that would look bad.

The planet surface shots for IO and Ganymeade were probably the 'weakest' of any S1-S3 shots, but were still head and shoulders above what you would expect for a basic cable SciFi show.

I agree. The main reason why I think this seasons don't look better is because The Expanse always looked incredible!

Oh, I said Eros but I meant Ceres... some shots when they showed the rich parts of the place were... questionable.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Weekly releases are unmitigated trash. Way to kill all of the excitement and momentum I experienced from the first four episodes.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Weekly releases are unmitigated trash. Way to kill all of the excitement and momentum I experienced from the first four episodes.
I personally am so happy that I'm not caught between feeling like I need to binge the whole season just to keep up or sad that I finished the whole thing and won't see season 6 for another year. I'm glad I'll be with The Expanse for another two months right alongside everyone else ☺️

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I might just rewatch the show and put off new episodes so by the time I'm caught up on rewatch they'll be ready. The wait sucks

I put off watching the show for years, but picked it up a few weeks back thinking season 5 was the last. Seemed like the perfect time to binge the show and watch the last episode when it was available.

Now I'm out of new episodes and only recently found out I have to wait for a year+ for the actual final season. The wait really does suck :')

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It should be kept in mind that the rocks were accelerated to a high velocity and that would certainly have a bearing on their damage potential.

Amos says the following in Nemesis Games:
"You see," Amos said, pointing a thumb at the screen, "that's how you know they were using radar-absorbing coating on the rocks. Burned off and stopped working after they hit atmo, right? Anyway, you figure it went from the ionosphere to sea level in about half a second, so that's about two hundred klicks per. I'm making this up here, but the kind of bang they're talking about, you could do it with a block of tungsten carbide maybe three and a half, four meters to a side. That ain't big."

Regarding the death toll and the damge to civilisation, see the following quote by Prax about the 'cascade' from book 2, Caliban's War:

"It's the basic obstacle of artificial ecosystems. In a normal evolutionary environment, there's enough diversity to cushion the system when something catastrophic happens. That's nature. Catastrophic things happen all the time. But nothing we can build has the depth. One thing goes wrong, and there's only a few compensatory pathways that can step in. They get overstressed. Fall out of balance. When the next one fails, there are even fewer paths, and then they're more stressed. It's a simple complex system. That's the technical name for it. Because it's simple, it's prone to cascades, and because it's complex, you can't predict what's going to fail. Or how. It's computationally impossible."

It may not not have been an extinction level event on the scale of the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event, but certainly enough to wipe out the
10-15 billion
estimated in the books.

Holy shit. In the show it seemed like they were going with hundreds of million, and there was certainly an air of relief and hope that they stopped the others.

But the book makes it sound like we're talking some Gundam colony drop devastations. Maybe not as bad as After War Gundam X's turning the planet into swiss cheese, but definitely a couple of that infamous Sydney drop one

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. In the show it seemed like they were going with hundreds of million, and there was certainly an air of relief and hope that they stopped the others.

But the book makes it sound like we're talking some Gundam colony drop devastations. Maybe not as bad as After War Gundam X's turning the planet into swiss cheese, but definitely a couple of that infamous Sydney drop one
It's still possible to be much higher damage than shown, as most of what was shown was right as/after it happened. The only one saying "millions" appears to be Naomi, who says it literally after finding out. Could be the first number/figure of speech to pop in her head.

But then, I'm not really sure if stopping 3-6 of them in the show, is how it happens in the book.

Also, how many did the actually throw in the show? The side character says to Marco: "earth destroyed 3, other 3 miss", a 7th rock disintegrated because it got too close to the sun (Rock 9), and then 3 hit (Africa coast, Philly and Southeast Asia). 10 rocks? End of Season 4 showed 8 rocks on his map. End of the 1st episode of this season (after Rock 9 is lost), it's still showing 8 rocks.

Counterpoint: binging is better sometimes. Weekly releases for new shows were easier to accept when there was no alternative.

Potentially, yeah. It feels good to see the finish product all at once, but it also feels good to have these kinds o f vague discussion and theorizing, for a few weeks amyway, in places like this.

KadeYuy

Oct 30, 2017
I put off watching the show for years, but picked it up a few weeks back thinking season 5 was the last. Seemed like the perfect time to binge the show and watch the last episode when it was available.

Now I'm out of new episodes and only recently found out I have to wait for a year+ for the actual final season. The wait really does suck :')
lol that's rough!

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017

We only saw the first few hours while the asteroid hits were still going on, so that death toll is going to rise much, much higher in the days and weeks that follow. Earthquakes, floods, dust kicked up into the atmosphere that blocks the sun and reduces global temperatures, causing famines are all things that can and probably will occur in future episodes.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone noticed how prominent alcohol is in this? Everyone is constantly drinking in almost every scene or at least has liquor visibly at the ready.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's still possible to be much higher damage than shown, as most of what was shown was right as/after it happened. The only one saying "millions" appears to be Naomi, who says it literally after finding out. Could be the first number/figure of speech to pop in her head.
We only saw the first few hours while the asteroid hits were still going on, so that death toll is going to rise much, much higher in the days and weeks that follow. Earthquakes, floods, dust kicked up into the atmosphere that blocks the sun and reduces global temperatures, causing famines are all things that can and probably will occur in future episodes.

Undoubtedly the casualties will rise and we'll probably get the one bit of exposition that says maybe a billion or two estimated dead, but I'm talking colony drop devastation which is many magnitudes worse than that. And the way the episode ended for earth with that hopeful message makes me think they'll dial back on the overall devastation.

Though I am looking forward to Amos's trip out of there. I'm guessing he will be our eyes on the ground in a hectic earth as Avasarala is on the moon.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
poll_by_edmonddantes9285_debafgs-fullview.jpg

The community has spoken.

From tonight's episode onwards the new spoiler policy will be in effect.

Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags are not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged clearly.
Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags are not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged clearly.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
CG wise not much has changed, it always looked like this even on SyFy. The main difference now is that now we have full location shoots and more varied sets, we were always going to get some level of location shoot due to nature of Season 4 and Amos' story this season but they were able to do much better in that area. For instance the Illus scenes last season were filmed on a different type of camera, same for the wide screen shoots this season (though there hasn't been that many of them). Keep in mind that SyFy wasn't the only one funding the show back then, they had several other source of funding.

The real test would be how.they show the destroyed Earth, if they even show it properly or just imply the destruction like they did in today's episode i.e. "we shouldn't see sunlight as there is suppose to be a building above us"

Also Avasarala swears a lot more now with Amazon, as it should. Remember Julie Mao's stupid "Forget you!" When they were with SyFy?

Last edited:

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Another great episode.

I may have missed this but how did..

Naomi know the Roci's reactor was sabotaged? I wasn't sure if she saw something on a screen or if she just assumed because Marco has done it before

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode.

Naomi know the Roci's reactor was sabotaged? I wasn't sure if she saw something on a screen or if she just assumed because Marco has done it before

the "I saved your life" line from her son let her to guess. Face wrench confirmed.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode.

The 2 things that made me think she saw/heard, was seeing that they were watching the roci on a screen, and a thing that Filip said, that Marcos saved her by not letting her leave (from going back to Holden at tycho and eventually the roci)

I need to rewatch the scene before she attacked knuckles dude, to hear if he said yes to the roci having the code.