• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Do you really want to know? The answer is spoiler territory for the next book as well.

No no , it was more of a reflection of where I am so far. I think the season is doing a good job at weaving it's threads and I hope it can lead to something interesting because from the macro scale this is a very dumb move from a very unlikeable character.

Oct 27, 2017
No no , it was more of a reflection of where I am so far. I think the season is doing a good job at weaving it's threads and I hope it can lead to something interesting because from the macro scale this is a very dumb move from a very unlikeable character.
Excellent, glad I asked, just enjoy the ride. In my opinion, it pays off massively.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so they kill billions with rocks.....what's the plan after? If I was Earth I would literally vaporize the entire belt after that, no quarter given and lock down the entire solar system and convince Mars they are next. So what does Marcos plan? The only thing he has is getting the protomolecule as detent, but like at that point Earth has nothing to lose.
The answer to this comes in multiple parts and some would count as spoilers so I will only talk about the part that isn't, which is the effect that finding thousands of new planets has had on Belters. The series has touched on this already, but only very lightly (and last season, rather than this season so far).

We see the effect on Mars (exodus that is starting to threaten the entire Martian project) and on Earth (exodus, but in a way that is relieving Earth of population burden and opening new economic and political opportunities). Belters are reacting differently, because they have a different problem: most of them cannot go to most of those planets, ever, due to the gravity that would damage their bodies, but even if that problem is overcome, even if Belters settle some worlds, that just means they become planet-dwellers, and not Belters.

Inaros sees this. He sees a future where humanity is stretched over thousands of planets and Belters are a forgotten remnant of a people clinging to some irrelevant rocks in a single star system - a galaxy of Inners.

His planned solution to this (or at least a part of it) is to make people afraid of living on planets.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Bezos' billions coming in handy. Makes me lament the loss of the Consider Phlebas adaptation somewhat, but then I think that Iain M. Banks would have despised an organisation like Amazon having anything to do with The Culture considering it rallies against everything billionaires like Bezos and companies like Amazon stand for.

Lionheart360

Oct 27, 2017
The answer to this comes in multiple parts and some would count as spoilers so I will only talk about the part that isn't, which is the effect that finding thousands of new planets has had on Belters. The series has touched on this already, but only very lightly (and last season, rather than this season so far).

We see the effect on Mars (exodus that is starting to threaten the entire Martian project) and on Earth (exodus, but in a way that is relieving Earth of population burden and opening new economic and political opportunities). Belters are reacting differently, because they have a different problem: most of them cannot go to most of those planets, ever, due to the gravity that would damage their bodies, but even if that problem is overcome, even if Belters settle some worlds, that just means they become planet-dwellers, and not Belters.

Inaros sees this. He sees a future where humanity is stretched over thousands of planets and Belters are a forgotten remnant of a people clinging to some irrelevant rocks in a single star system - a galaxy of Inners.

His planned solution to this (or at least a part of it) is to make people afraid of living on planets.
This. This is a fascinating approach this storytelling. Never thought of it from the belter's perspective like that. Makes me super excited for the show's endgame.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017

which doesn't make much sense either because that doesn't solve any of the belter's problems are all, just make them a target to be removed even sooner.

besides, he can throw a few rocks into Earth and Mars but it will not change the fact that inners will settle more planets through the gates, where he can't throw rocks.

He is yelling to clouds.

Like I knew I have no future but I will try to get a sweet revenge for thing done in the past. But that will not bring a future to his people, why they will unite under him?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
which doesn't make much sense either because that doesn't solve any of the belter's problems are all, just make them a target to be removed even sooner.

besides, he can throw a few rocks into Earth and Mars but it will not change the fact that inners will settle more planets through the gates, where he can't throw rocks.

He is yelling to clouds.

Like I knew I have no future but I will try to get a sweet revenge for thing done in the past. But that will not bring a future to his people, why they will unite under him?
Please remember that my answer is intentionally partial.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

He is yelling to clouds.

Inaros thinks himself an Alexander the Great (Pallas, the name of his ship after the ancient Macedon capital, Filip his son, named after Alexander's father) but in reality he's a fool who sways people into believing him with his charisma. His idea of forward planning and tactics is throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks and going with that. It's wise not to give him credence for his ideas about the future of the Belt.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Is it me or everything CG related looks way better?

A lot of people were saying that about the previous season (and with the pre-release trailers) and giving credit to Amazon's extra money but it turned out the budget was the same.

I don't know if it changed this season, but the truth is The Expanse has always been visually outstanding. I don't think anything this season looks better, only just as good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Nice little nod to The Shining by the production team.

8thvs65ybz561_by_edmonddantes9285_deao8w1-pre.jpg

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing start to the season I dread the filip storyline but Amos had me tearing up. The way Wes Chatham portrays him is simply outstanding and the character is so well done.
Idk if he just has less capacity for empathy or is on the spectrum but he is such a unique character with morals you could take ages to dissect and discuss. And the way his surrogate mother talks to him made while he listened never speaking a word, contrasted with how much it clearly meant to him by his actions in the seasons, felt very pure.

A lot of people were saying that about the previous season (and with the pre-release trailers) and giving credit to Amazon's extra money but it turned out the budget was the same.

I don't know if it changed this season, but the truth is The Expanse has always been visually outstanding. I don't think anything this season looks better, only just as good.
The march of technology benefits CG effects work over the course of a single series. Pipelines improve every year, and render time for complex scenes can steadily decrease.

I recall that the CG for NuBSG experienced several major jumps when Zoic re-wrote their in-house software and dramatically cut down on renderfarm time per frame. They immediately increased the quality, since the budget for the show remained the same.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
Okay guys, I have a huge crush on naomi. HUG3. No one tell my girlfriend please.

On a more serious note, that was amazing. Why does no one listen to seralsa and Holden after all this time yet??????

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Okay guys, I have a huge crush on naomi. HUG3. No one tell my girlfriend please.

On a more serious note, that was amazing. Why does no one listen to seralsa and Holden after all this time yet??????
Holden because he's 'James fucking Holden' and Avasarala because they think she's someone's demented granny.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Avaserala ran an election campaign on being cautious about the ring gates, and lost, and there's been an economic boom on Earth since then. That damaged her credibility.

Holden goes around telling people he talks to an ancient race of aliens via the medium of a ghost, and also his message of "don't fuck about with the protomolecule" goes down poorly with people who feel that the perhaps it would be advantageous to fuck about with the protomolecule.

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
And why is this thread ONLY 7 pages? ?

Holden because he's 'James fucking Holden' and Avasarala because they think she's someone's demented granny.
Avaserala ran an election campaign on being cautious about the ring gates, and lost, and there's been an economic boom on Earth since then. That damaged her credibility.

Holden goes around telling people he talks to an ancient race of aliens via the medium of a ghost, and also his message of "don't fuck about with the protomolecule" goes down poorly with people who feel that the perhaps it would be advantageous to fuck about with the protomolecule.

Thanks guys. Just frustrated with the F ups.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Comparing this thread to the season 4 thread is kind of refreshing. Let's compare:
  • 320 posts into the Season 4 thread
    • 1 day after the entire season went up
    • 4 days after the thread was posted
    • People had already finished the entire season, talking about whether they liked it
    • Annoying thread to follow if you hadn't finished the entire season within 24 hours due to spoilers all over the place

• 320 posts into this thread
    • 4 days after first three episodes went up
    • 10 days after the thread was posted
    • People actually talking about each episode on its own merits, still excited for what's to come
Yeah this thread doesn't have as much traffic yet, I'd far prefer that to threads being bloated up primarily with people who happen to have enough time to watch 10 hours of a TV show within 24 hours and minimizing per-episode talk.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I binged the fourth season last week to prepare for the first three episodes of the fifth season which I also ended up binging and it's like you can see the budget growing in real time.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yes indeed The establishing shot of Luna in particular was superb.

Yeah that and the turbolift shots on Tycho Station made me realize that this show is up there with the big boys on CBS All Access, Netflix and HBO now. Just judging by what happened in the last scene of episode 3 the next episode should be pretty VFX heavy as well.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I freaking love this show, but season 4 was pretty meh compared to what came before. I'm hooked on the new season already and it's nice to be back.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Do we need spoiler tags to talk about episodes that have already aired?
I think going forward we should stick with the normal etiquette with TV show threads. I was a bit overzealous with the guidance I gave earlier on.

Meaning, once a new episode has been released, spoiler tags aren't necessary for discussion of that episode and previous episodes.

Book spoilers should be avoided, and if there is something from the books that you want to discuss, mark the spoiler clearly as 'Nemesis Games spoiler', 'Babylon's Ashes spoiler', 'Persepolis Rising spoiler', 'Tiamat's Wrath spoiler' etc.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wish The Expanse was popular enough to have a separate "book readers" thread like Game of Thrones. As a non-book reader that was so nice to not need to wade through endless landmines and wondering which spoiler tags might contain book stuff.

So Edmond Dantès I like your idea - if you're going to post a spoiler from a book, the spoiler description should clearly state as much.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
I wish The Expanse was popular enough to have a separate "book readers" thread like Game of Thrones. As a non-book reader that was so nice to not need to wade through endless landmines and wondering which spoiler tags might contain book stuff.

So Edmond Dantès I like your idea - if you're going to post a spoiler from a book, the spoiler description should clearly state as much.
I think this would be the best way going forward.

Speaking of going forward.

EW also spoke with showrunner Naren Shankar, and asked the executive producer whether there could be more life for The Expanse in the form of another channel or streaming outlet, much in the same way the show was rescued by Amazon after Syfy moved on from the project. "You know, honestly, that would be more of a question for our studio, for Alcon, says Shankar. "They control the property, but what I will say is that there's definitely more to tell and I'm sure Ty and Daniel would say exactly the same thing. But yeah, that's probably about as much as I can say at this point."

ew.com

'The Expanse' showrunner says door is open for more after season 6

"There's definitely more to tell," says 'Expanse' showrunner Naren Shankar about possible life after Amazon.

Seems like the ball is in Alcon's court.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
When can I get a Peaches, Drummer, Chrissy, Amos, and Ashford spin-off. And obviously Miller.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Ages ago when I ran the OTs we tried this and it didn't really work out. There actually already may be a book OT on this site, can't remember if it was brought over from the old site.
Hmmm.

Looking at other recent TV show threads, The Boys Season 2 OT, Star Trek Discovery Season 3 OT, there's the stricter method of threadbanning members posting comic spoilers or the more relaxed method of allowing spoiler tag free discussion after an episode airs. ST: Discovery doesn't have the source material problem that The Boys shares with The Expanse, but The Expanse, like SpartyCrunch said earlier, doesn't seem popular enough to justify having a seperate thread for spoiler tag free TV show and book discussion.

Mod clarification on the issue may be of assistance I think.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.

Looking at other recent TV show threads, The Boys Season 2 OT, Star Trek Discovery Season 3 OT, there's the stricter method of threadbanning members posting comic spoilers or the more relaxed method of allowing spoiler tag free discussion after an episode airs. ST: Discovery doesn't have the source material problem that The Boys shares with The Expanse, but The Expanse, like SpartyCrunch said earlier, doesn't seem popular enough to justify having a seperate thread for spoiler tag free TV show and book discussion.

www.resetera.com

The Expanse |Book Series OT| Doors and corners, kid

Welcome to the OT for The Expanse series of novels by James S. A. Corey! Very happy I could bring this OT into the new era! Be aware this thread will have spoilers for the book series up until Tiamat's Wrath, the latest release. Book descriptions/publisher blurbs in this OP will be UNMARKED...

Here's the Book OT attempt haha (that was what I was saying didn't work out). I just looked at my S2 OT which was vetted with a similar problem by Cornballer when he was a mod. The decision was aired content was free to discuss in the open but book spoilers needed to be tagged specifically as book spoilers with the book # in the spoiler tag. Quinton was a participant in those OTs and is a mod now, they might be able to make a decision.

Just my opinion. I've been a lurker since I stopped doing the OTs, but yeah, it was an issue and something I patrolled a fair amount and had Cornballer's help to back me up on getting spoilers tagged quickly before they ruined anyone's day.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Not being able to binge is killing me. I'm watching it really slowly instead. Fifteen minutes at a time!

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

The Expanse |Book Series OT| Doors and corners, kid

Welcome to the OT for The Expanse series of novels by James S. A. Corey! Very happy I could bring this OT into the new era! Be aware this thread will have spoilers for the book series up until Tiamat's Wrath, the latest release. Book descriptions/publisher blurbs in this OP will be UNMARKED...

Here's the Book OT attempt haha (that was what I was saying didn't work out). I just looked at my S2 OT which was vetted with a similar problem by Cornballer when he was a mod. The decision was aired content was free to discuss in the open but book spoilers needed to be tagged specifically as book spoilers with the book # in the spoiler tag. Quinton was a participant in those OTs and is a mod now, they might be able to make a decision.

Just my opinion. I've been a lurker since I stopped doing the OTs, but yeah, it was an issue and something I patrolled a fair amount and had Cornballer's help to back me up on getting spoilers tagged quickly before they ruined anyone's day.
Thanks for explaining. I've reported my own message above about the clarification, so we'll see what the mods say.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm.

Basically, we leave decisions like that up to the population of the thread, unless there's some special circumstances that force us to adopt wider spoiler policies, like in the TLOU2 leaks. For example, in the Cosmere OT, people prefer to have everything spoiler tagged, because it's a very large number of books released over a very long period but they're all interconnected. If people insist on violating the thread's chosen spoiler policies, we'll threadban them because... well, at that point, they're just being a jerk.

One thing you see a lot for anime series that started as manga is having a manga OT, which is free spoiler for all released material, and an anime OT, where spoilers from the source material have to be tagged, like you said. Could be a model if there's enough people interested in talking about the books.

Anyway, if you're not sure what y'all want that policy to be, I'd recommend putting up a poll.