• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I've had to stop watching for now. I've found episode 1 and the section of episode 2 I've watched so far incredibly dull. I loved last season but this just isn't doing it for me yet. I'll keep watching episode 2 and hopefully make it to episode 3 later but so far not a good start for me. I'll check back in with this thread when/if I manage to make it through episode 3.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
after watching the recap before episode 1 feels like last season was a filler or could have condensed

The intrigue of Inaros attack is getting me hook. Episode 1 is a get introduction on the plot ahead

Also surround sound for this show is đź‘Ś

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
It had been awhile since I read that 3rd book, which was the back half of Season 3, inside the ring space.

Watching these episodes, the new character on Tycho station is named Bull. I knew I had heard that name somewhere, and looking back at Book 3, he's in there. He's the character that was mostly transitioned into Drummer's storyline, right down to the elevator shaft sacrifice play.

I wonder, is this Bull character implied to be the same character, just using another character's storyline?

Not reading anything into Book 5 to avoid spoilers, because I'm currently worried this Bull character is this spymaster that Holden/Fred are pitted against.

Any thoughts on this character?

Interview with Wes on the season, and I time linked it to a story about a shot from Episode 2 that is mind-blowing that it was done practically.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to wait until I could watch all of it in one month's Prime. But it will only be one extra month to watch now. Plus Prime for boxing day sales could be useful.

Subbing when I get home.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
It had been awhile since I read that 3rd book, which was the back half of Season 3, inside the ring space.

Watching these episodes, the new character on Tycho station is named Bull. I knew I had heard that name somewhere, and looking back at Book 3, he's in there. He's the character that was mostly transitioned into Drummer's storyline, right down to the elevator shaft sacrifice play.

I wonder, is this Bull character implied to be the same character, just using another character's storyline?

Not reading anything into Book 5 to avoid spoilers, because I'm currently worried this Bull character is this spymaster that Holden/Fred are pitted against.

Any thoughts on this character?

Interview with Wes on the season, and I time linked it to a story about a shot from Episode 2 that is mind-blowing that it was done practically.

Drummer, Michio Pa, Bull, Ashford and Sam from the books have all had aspects, story cues, and characterisation swapped between them in the show with lots of amalgamation going on, but I'm quite sure Bull is just directly replacing the Drummer character's role from Nemesis Games. Seems Drummer has also taken some aspects of Michio thus far and may even take her role from Babylon's Ashes.

Oct 25, 2017
I've had to stop watching for now. I've found episode 1 and the section of episode 2 I've watched so far incredibly dull. I loved last season but this just isn't doing it for me yet. I'll keep watching episode 2 and hopefully make it to episode 3 later but so far not a good start for me. I'll check back in with this thread when/if I manage to make it through episode 3.

it's slow on purpose because from the very end of episode 3 on things go completely crazy for the next two seasons. Maybe wait till 4 drops and then catch up.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
There's nice little reference to Laconia (the final gate and a MCRN ship going through it) in the opening credits.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
there's gonna be some delicious crow in ep 4
Yup. It basically is the ginormous payoff for the slow story before.

I hope they make season 7, 8 and 9 after a short break because they said it's not really getting cancelled but rather they only pitched pitched season 4, 5, 6 to amazon.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
there's gonna be some delicious crow in ep 4
There should be,
but I fear that the events will become relentless and make that particular crow eating moot, nevermind if the UN/NYC gets wiped out.

will there end up enough time to do what Averserala wanted to do with the stealth detecting satellites, to stop more? How many of the 8 will hit? How many can hit before a situation of "extinction level event" has occurred?

The thing I noticed last year, in the timing of Averserala getting sent to Luna and the Marco's plot, is it could bring in the possibility of a Designated Survivor situation

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
There should be,
but I fear that the events will become relentless and make that particular crow eating moot, nevermind if the UN/NYC gets wiped out.

will there end up enough time to do what Averserala wanted to do with the stealth detecting satellites, to stop more? How many of the 8 will hit? How many can hit before a situation of "extinction level event" has occurred?

The thing I noticed last year, in the timing of Averserala getting sent to Luna and the Marco's plot, is it could bring in the possibility of a Designated Survivor situation
Amos and Peaches for President and Madame President of Earth

Needs more Michio

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Polyamourous Piracy seems like a pretty nice gig in the belt if you can swing it.
They go into this on one of the BTS bonuses, think it's on the one for Episode 3.

Also, Longer aftershows with Wes and Ty (and guests):

Some good info on the 1st episode, even mentioning the filming and editing choice of Amos' fight scene in episode 1.

Last edited:

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just quoting myself to say I have now watched these 3 episodes in full. I may have just been in a bad mood earlier but episode 2 and 3 really impressed me, especially some scenes in episode 3. The fallout from these events are going to be catastrophic in the show and I can't wait to see how it plays out.
it's slow on purpose because from the very end of episode 3 on things go completely crazy for the next two seasons. Maybe wait till 4 drops and then catch up.
I'm a fan of the shows slow pacing a lot of the time. I think I may have just not been in the right frame of mind earlier or something about episode 1 really annoyed me more than I thought.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite exchanges from NG made it into the show.

The button was gone, the letters replaced by something pale brown with a line across it, a single jigsaw puzzle piece floating in a sea of noise-light.

"What did you do?" Fred asked.

"There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."

"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?"

"But look. It...I think I may have accepted an incoming signal."

"From what?"

James fucking Holden.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like Drummer has taken Michio Pa's role as the pirate queen and Sauveterre is playing the Duarte role, at least for now.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Like with The Boys, I see why they dumped three episodes at once. Hopefully it doesn't follow the same pattern of spinning its wheels for the next few episodes but considering that stinger, I don't see how they can.

Also it's kinda funny that after 4 seasons of Alex being a nothing character, they finally start to do something with him but it's just everyone calling him out and him still doing nothing. Cas Anvar being a creepy predator worked out for them I guess.

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
If we're going to be hiding current episodes under spoilers, there should not be any future discussion in this thread. It's too easy for people to leave book spoilers unmarked.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the first episode. Absolutely loved the world-building this time around. It felt like an actual world with people, something that was clearly missing from the last season. Happy to see Avasarala again, sharp as ever.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're going to be hiding current episodes under spoilers, there should not be any future discussion in this thread. It's too easy for people to leave book spoilers unmarked.
TV thread rules have always been once it airs it's fair game to discuss in the open. Not sure why this thread would be any different.

Deleted member 28523

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really though we were going to get some Amos stuff in episode 3. Guess that's next week's episode. His storyline is so good.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

Wasn't sure what the rules were and saw some posts up thread that were spoilers and decided to play it safe. I'll unspoiler it.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
The first few episodes of this season were just so solid and competent, this show feels like it's operating on a different level now. I don't remember any scenes in the show with such standout acting like the Amon in Baltimore stuff in episode 2. And all the other actors have stepped up their game too. The CGI is somehow both less flashy and more impressive, just used seamlessly as establishing and context shots. All the smaller roles are good now, I don't really see an extra acting. A+++ so far on Season 5.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
That's a pretty great start to the season. They must be glad that they've moved past the season where they had to give random diversionary plots to half the cast, and everyone is back on track.

The split up Roci crew is working out well, the pacing is good, the world-building is as better than ever (especially like how they're portraying the decline of Mars) and special effects are top class. I think the only real downside for me to note is how difficult this season is going to be to discuss for book-readers, because most of the speculation about what might happen is something we can't really be part of. That's not something anyone can be faulted for, however. I kind of envy people experiencing this for the first time on TV, and that's really unusual for a book adaptation.

Yeah I think a clean delineation is best for this topic. No spoilers for anything aired on TV, but anything from the books should be tagged and marked as a book spoiler (with a note saying which book if it's specific).

Is it me or everything CG related looks way better?
It looks and feels a whole lot more integrated now - it feels like they learned a lot about how to spend their increased CG budget from last season, and are now creating and filming the series with a lot of thought put into the way that the CG will slot into it.

Oct 30, 2017
There's nice little reference to Laconia (the final gate and a MCRN ship going through it) in the opening credits.
Better yet! Right after that there's a shot of a planet with an MCRN ship approaching it, then some sort of shape in orbit that just has a cycling icon, like it can't be identified.

I saw that, went "Oo!", j umped up and knocked my drink over.

I am so in on this season.

Just to emphasize: hype

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the fact that it was 3 episodes to start made me wonder if the cliffhanger was going to be that moment. I can't remember much else after this. Curious what level of destruction will be presented.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it doesn't take until the last episode to get the band back together.

Spotless Mind

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Can't wait to see how episode 4... and, well, the entire season plays out. So many possibilities running through my head. As much i kind of want to just binge the season right now, I like having this time to stew on it. Especially with such a tantalising direction this season is taking.

Loving all the plot threads set up. God i love Drummer.

cubicle47b

Aug 9, 2019
I didn't realize only the first 3 episodes were available until I finished the 3rd. I'm annoyed I have to wait on a streaming service, especially one like Amazon Prime.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
This show still manages to impress. The world building, characters, and even the practical/CGI effects look great.

Sad we're on the penultimate season but will definitely have to go back and read all the books once it's over