• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which spoiler policy do you prefer going forward?

• Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and book spoilers should be tagged

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Once an episode has aired, spoiler tags not necessary and strictly no book discussion in the thread

Votes: 68 42.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The schedule for anyone new to this thread:

de9crt4-e8d2be24-883a-4b8a-a09f-c13a87af1deb.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
theexpanselives.com

The Expanse Season 5: The Best Season Yet (Spoiler-Free Review) | The Expanse Lives

The Expanse returns to Amazon Prime Video with a heart pumping and emotionally charged Season 5. With a bigger budget, larger story and wider scope, the new season is the best yet and delivers some of the most stunning performances from both veteran and newcomer cast. Book readers will enjoy...

"As always, the writing team have continued to hone their craft and delivered a tasteful, carefully crafted journey for us this season. As the story unfolds, we confront themes of oppression and grief, tribalism and conflict, loyalty and betrayal, fear (and the lack thereof), and so much more. The show explores some new issues with certain arcs such as Naomi's relationship with Marco Inaros and her son Filip; Drummer's polyamorous family (providing more great LGBTQ+ representation fans have been hoping for), Amos's return to Earth, and Alex reckoning with the decline of Mars. And while the narrative deftly navigates the big picture, even minor characters feel thought out with many short but delightful appearances, some of which book readers will especially enjoy. Likewise, The Expanse's subtle but witty sense of humour pops up throughout the season to lift the weight of Season 5's apocalyptically epic storyline off our shoulders from time to time. "

Liking the sound of this.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm hoping Prime Video releases the episodes on Tuesday evening the night before release date, like they did for The Boys several times

Oct 25, 2017
Been rewatching and in Season 1 and just noticing all the foreshadowing they drop for Season/Book 5

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up my season 4 re-watch last night. I forgot how silly the Ashford boarding scene is. He turns into John Wick all the sudden huh? But the biggest head-scratcher is how Holden climbed of the tower to flag down the Roci in the final episode. That structure looked like it was miles high from the ground and Holden was down into its depths. Somehow he managed to scale the wall with ease in barely any time at all 🤔

Anyways, hyped for S5.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
For those that have read the books we all knew that whether you liked book 5 or not (most think it's the pinnacle) that season 5 would be the best.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Oh nice! I just finished the last season of Vikings so ready to jump in when this releases in a couple of days.

Oh just saw the part about weekly episodes. Ugh. I might wait then to binge.Decisions...

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
When the hell is Anderson Dawes gonna return? Does he actually come back in the books? It was odd how he was completely absent from seasons 3 & 4 given how important that character is. He was even mentioned a few times last season, I think. I know Jared Harris is in high demand these days but I'd love from him to return to the role.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Yesssss

I jumped on board a few months ago and this series has its hooks in me. Best binge ever. Can't believe I missed out on this show for so long. I'm sad that S6 will be the last season but I guess that just means I'll have to read the books.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
When the hell is Anderson Dawes gonna return? Does he actually come back in the books? It was odd how he was completely absent from seasons 3 & 4 given how important that character is. He was even mentioned a few times last season, I think. I know Jared Harris is in high demand these days but I'd love from him to return to the role.
He returns in Babylon's Ashes and has one of the best viewpoint chapters in the whole book series, but after that he plays no further part.

I doubt we'll see much of him in the TV show going forward, what with Jared Harris been busy playing Hari Seldon in Apple's Foundation TV show, so he's got much bigger fish to fry.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
He returns in Babylon's Ashes and has one of the best viewpoint chapters in the whole book series, but after that he plays no further part.

I doubt we'll see much of him in the TV show going forward, what with Jared Harris been busy playing Hari Seldon in Apple's Foundation TV show, so he's got much bigger fish to fry.

So he potentially may return in the final season! That's good to know.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
In the birthday spirit. this was the first comment I ever wrote about the show:

It's kind of sad how I had no idea that this show existed untill last week, when a Mass Effect fan recommended it on a forum. And since Mass Effect fans as a rule have good character, I decided to check it out. And indeed it was again proven the superb qualities and refined tastes of that particualr group of people. This series is amazing! Incredible Sci-Fi show all around. Probably been said many times, but probably the best one since that sad day when Battlestar Galactica ended.

Great characters, outrageous visuals and a very interesting focus on science. And I love the setting… it's cool to see a universe in which we cannot travel faster than light, but still are expading to new places outside Earth. Now I'm thinking if I should get the books. Anyone here recommend them?

Spoiler: I got the books.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
In the birthday spirit. this was the first comment I ever wrote about the show:

It's kind of sad how I had no idea that this show existed untill last week, when a Mass Effect fan recommended it on a forum. And since Mass Effect fans as a rule have good character, I decided to check it out. And indeed it was again proven the superb qualities and refined tastes of that particualr group of people. This series is amazing! Incredible Sci-Fi show all around. Probably been said many times, but probably the best one since that sad day when Battlestar Galactica ended.

Great characters, outrageous visuals and a very interesting focus on science. And I love the setting… it's cool to see a universe in which we cannot travel faster than light, but still are expading to new places outside Earth. Now I'm thinking if I should get the books. Anyone here recommend them?

Spoiler: I got the books.
A few years later and your opnion still holds true. Nothing has come close to Battlestar Galactica for me except for The Expanse, in the live action science fiction arena.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
A few years later and your opnion still holds true. Nothing has come close to Battlestar Galactica for me except for The Expanse, in the live action science fiction arena.
This reminded me that I stopped watching the 2nd season of Lost in Space after the 2nd or 3rd episode. Don't think it was from boredom, think something came up and then forgot. Same with alot of other shows.

Only shows of the caliber that I was really interested in post BSG was Star Gate Universe and The Expanse.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I've rewatched BSG this year (on account of FTL) and once again I was reminded why I love this series so much. It's one of those series that you don't simply enjoy, it actually marked a moment in my life. It's amazing that with a TV budget it still has the best looking (and overall greatest!) space battles all around. The clarity of what is going on, the WW2 in space feel, the weight of everything happening... it's just incredible.

I actually watched Mr. Robot soon after just to know Sam Esmail's work as he is developming the new BSG show. I like our odds.

Talking about space battles, I think this is something The Expanse struggles a little. It's hard to translate the battle from the books to the screen, as the logics behind battles in that universe work much better on a book perspective where you can just imagine the entire scenario, and I do love reading the battles in the books, especially the one from Persopolis Rising, but the show didn't hit the same mark. I still like them mind you.

Also, I miss giant drive plues.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
This reminded me that I stopped watching the 2nd season of Lost in Space after the 2nd or 3rd episode. Don't think it was from boredom, think something came up and then forgot. Same with alot of other shows.

Only shows of the caliber that I was really interested in post BSG was Star Gate Universe and The Expanse.
It's a shame Stargate Universe was cancelled as it was just hitting its stride.

I've rewatched BSG this year (on account of FTL) and once again I was reminded was I love this series so much. It's one of those series that you don't simply enjoy, it actually marked a moment in my life. It's amazing that with a TV budget it still has the best looking (and overall greatest!) space battles all around. The clarity of what is going on, the WW2 in space feel, the weight of everything happening... it's just incredible.

I actually watched Mr. Robot soon after just to know Sam Esmail's work as he is developming the new BSG show. I like our odds.

Talking about space battles, I think this is something The Expanse struggles a little. It's hard to translate the battle from the books to the screen, as the logics behind battles in that universe work much better on a book perspective where you can just imagine the entire scenario, and I do love reading the battles in the books, especially the one from Persopolis Rising, but the show didn't hit the same mark. I still like them mind you.

Also, I miss giant drive plues.
I agree, BG was ahead of its time in many aspects. A testament to the talent involved in bringing the show into fruition.

Speaking of space battles, I would love to see The Culture's numerous space battles depicted in live action. Would need a hell of a budget and a great deal of talent to get them right though, considering how OP the Culture and other civilisations in that series are.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
If it was any other show I would be worried that it's ending next season. But they've been so consistently good filling every minute of every episode that I trust that they can nail the ending.