• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BobbyRawlins

Oct 25, 2017
i'm also of the opinion of just write him out. been a while since i read the last books but i dont remember alex doing much or being very instrumental.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

James S.A. Corey
Latest news from our studio. They are taking the recent allegations very seriously, and have hired an independent third party investigator. Everyone is fully committed to the truth here. But they need a little time to do their work. Updates as I have them.

And, if I may, a wholehearted thank you to those who were brave enough to bring this to us. We hear you. This will get the attention and action such serious allegations deserve. I'm staking my reputation on it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I've watched the first 3 seasons in the past month and just started S4.

Noticable upgrade in VFX, both in quality and quantity. I can only imagine the episode CQB if it had Bezos funding it lol.

The first 3 seasons were a total rollercoaster, can't wait to finish this one now.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017

Shoreh Aghdashloo has a 30 minute or so chat with Wes Chatham about The Expanse, and a little bit on Season 5.

Aegus

Oct 29, 2017
Book 9 is still the final one right?

Hope they somehow manage to do a December date like books 6 and 7.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
Book 9 is still the final one right?

Hope they somehow manage to do a December date like books 6 and 7.
Yeah, they've been adamant about finishing the story as they intended with book 9.

I'm guessing it's a 2021 date, or it'll be timed to release about when Season 5 goes live on Amazon?

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
If I've already watched the entire 4 seasons, will reading the books feel like a slog where I'm just reading about the same things I watched, or is there a lot more to the books?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
If I've already watched the entire 4 seasons, will reading the books feel like a slog where I'm just reading about the same things I watched, or is there a lot more to the books?
There are some things that are different in the books, and some things that go into a bit more depth. Overall the books are very quick reads, so don't think it'll be a slog to read through.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
The TV show has done a reasonable job of following the books (by TV show standards), so there isn't really a "lot" more to them, but they will give you some additional background, world detail and character insight. Plus the books are occasionally just different - with different sequences of events (or the same events as the TV show, but involving one or more different characters). Sometimes different scales as well - the TV show has a weird habit of using different numbers for things like populations.

Watching the TV show up to season 4 means that if you started reading with the fifth book, you wouldn't be confused about much. Some of the differences would be (minor) book spoilers but the biggest one isn't a spoiler - the character of Drummer does not exist until that fifth book, so the Drummer you'd be reading about in book 5 would not be TV show Drummer (who is an amalgam of several other characters) but a newly introduced character with no previous plot relevance, whose plot arc the TV show will presumably converge upon.

Oct 26, 2017
I am only on book 3, but so far, I am loving the books. They add some detail in places that I really love. So far, most details not in the show feel like they were removed purely for budgetary reasons. Like someone read the book and said, "no way we can afford that" then dialed the sequence down 90%. So reading the book and having those details again is really fun for me.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The two characters I miss most from the books are Bull and Sam, but with the constraints on the production of Seasons 3, I can see why they were cut and their story cues integrated into other characters.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I bought the 1-3 book set after watched the show, but haven't had time to dig into them. Need to rectify that!

Do we have any idea when the next TV season will air?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I hope the last book is better than the last three. I was really disappointed with the direction the series took after the incredible Nemesis Games.

I do think it will. I believe they want to nail this last book and they know how to do it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Screen-Shot-2020-09-16-at-3-47-14-PM.png

Jan 29, 2018
I can live with 2021. I want to re-read everything from Nemesis games on anyway. It kinda blurs together somewhat.

Hopefully we get a season 5 date soon (and a season 6 confirmation).

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Nemesis Games is quite the ride, so expecting season 5 to be the same. We'll probably see a lot of Babylon's Ashes too.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
Ok so the second week of december we get Cyberpunk, new Mandalorian episode and a whole new season of the expanse :)

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
Ugh. Why are they stopping after season 6? I thought they have enough material for like 10 seasons.

6 is still a lot of seasons considering the environment nowadays. I would guess it's just too expensive as viewership decreases.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
With how the books are structured into 3 arcs and what the third arc starts with...it makes a lot of sense. A lot of us weren't sure how they were going to handle that.

While I always want more Expanse I'd rather they not drag out books 5/6 into multiple seasons a la GoT and if they committed to all 9 it might just become meh at some point. 7/8 have been a lot of fun but they've lost some of what made The Expanse great to start with.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Bitter sweet news. Thankful for at least one final season and a proper ending, but disappointed we won't get all of the books adapted.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
They could have made a decent finish at the end of season 3 TBH.

I didn't like how they crammed Abaddon's Gate into the back half of S3.

Would have worked if devoted a season to Book 3 imo.

James SA Corey's timeline is pretty revealing.

The
time jump
wasn't a factor in the decision.

It's not declining ratings.

6 seasons is a lot for a show these days, it just feels like it's time to wrap it up and this is a good place.

Last edited: