• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome season, really hope this is paying off for Amazon so we get the whole book run.

Just a reminder that Amos is the best ever,
the final scene with his crazy face and "Thank you!" was amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished this season. I liked it overall, although there's something about this show that always leaves me feeling like it needs a rewrite or something to really reach its potential. The Belter/Factions stuff in particular just leaves me numb. And the explanation for the stuff on the planet was the frustrating kind of vague, not the intriguing kind.

Bobby and Amos continue to rock. I'd like to see the guy who plays Amos get a chance at cheap, direct to video-type action movies.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Finished now. Kind of a slow season, like the book it was based on. Glad they decided to include some of book 5 stuff instead of just focusing on Illus. Man, next season is gonna be some crazy shit going by what they set up.

Will write more full thoughts later.

RIP Ashford. Such a good character.

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome season, really hope this is paying off for Amazon so we get the whole book run.

Just a reminder that Amos is the best ever,
the final scene with his crazy face and "Thank you!" was amazing.
Amos is my favorite, BUT....they need to tweak him just a tiny bit. He lacks empathy---though he is shown to be sympathetic---yet a few times he teetered on the edge of being stupid/dense. We know Amos is smart, but a few times they stepped over the line and he came across dumb. Like...

Getting a kiss and asking what that was for...like, come on, Amos. You aren't stupid

Still love him.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It took awhile to get going. Started binging after episode 5.

Nice to see Fred and the same actor.
They really got nothing for Bobby to do, but that cop side story was interesting enough.

Drummer's revenge next season

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, what a great season so glad it's back. Bobby and Amos continue to be my favorite and can't wait for Drummers return next season.

UncannyPulsar

Nov 2, 2017
Porto, Portugal
I think it was my least favorite season so far.
Spending the majority of the season with the events of Cibola Burn was a mistake. The book is boring, the characters are mediocre, there's no answers about the protomolecule whatsoever and the book completely failed to fulfill the set up the last book gave with so many interesting planets to explore.

Nemesis Games is my favorite in the series so I'm hoping next season will be an improvement and the best one so far.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I really hope next season is released on weekly basis, or at least with some days between episodes. The Expanse is a show that has fantastic attention to detail, and with things that are really hard to spot. Releasing all episodes at once kill discussions and probably will make people miss a lot of those.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope next season is released on weekly basis, or at least with some days between episodes. The Expanse is a show that has fantastic attention to detail, and with things that are really hard to spot. Releasing all episodes at once kill discussions and probably will make people miss a lot of those.
Yeah I get that. I enjoyed binging S4 over two days, but you also lose a lot of the discussions that make following these shows week after week fun (see Watchmen).

Really liked the season. The Ilus storyline was the standout but I liked the setup they did in the other storylines for the shit about to go down in S5. Only storyline I felt was kinda spinning wheels was Bobby's.

Losing Ashford is painful, but I kinda understand why he didn't just shoot Marco when he had the chance. Seems to me like he's hoping the recording he made can be used against Marco and his faction and clear the name of the other OPA factions, because after that asteroid strike at the end Earth is most likely gonna want the OPA's and Mars leaders' heads on a spike.

Can't wait for S5.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Yeah I get that. I enjoyed binging S4 over two days, but you also lose a lot of the discussions that make following these shows week after week fun (see Watchmen).

Really liked the season. The Ilus storyline was the standout but I liked the setup they did in the other storylines for the shit about to go down in S5. Only storyline I felt was kinda spinning wheels was Bobby's.

Losing Ashford is painful, but I kinda understand why he didn't just shoot Marco when he had the chance. Seems to me like he's hoping the recording he made can be used against Marco and his faction and clear the name of the other OPA factions, because after that asteroid strike at the end Earth is most likely gonna want the OPA's and Mars leaders' heads on a spike.

Can't wait for S5.

I had not thought about that. It would be really, really awesome if his recordings are paramount in the peace talk after the attack on Earth. It would be a fantastic way to build his legacy and honor his character, which was incredible

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the season. I have mixed reaction. Completely hated the Bobbie arc.
Also, wtf is going on with Naomi? She seemed like a different person. I dont know what it is, but it seemed like a tv trope of women becoming completely mellow and subdued as soon as they fall in love. It seemed completely unbecoming of Naomi. Avasarala was just painful to watch. How many f-bombs were there?

I honestly lost a huge chunk of interest in the show now that Ashford is dead. Best actor, best character, and bonafide badass to the end. It also looks like Miller is gone.
Season gets its high points because of Amos and I kinda liked the Murtry/Belters conflict. The alien stuff was cool too.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Amos is my favorite, BUT....they need to tweak him just a tiny bit. He lacks empathy---though he is shown to be sympathetic---yet a few times he teetered on the edge of being stupid/dense. We know Amos is smart, but a few times they stepped over the line and he came across dumb. Like...

Getting a kiss and asking what that was for...like, come on, Amos. You aren't stupid

Still love him.
I saw that more as him thinking with his prostitution background then being dumb.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the season. I have mixed reaction. Completely hated the Bobbie arc.
Also, wtf is going on with Naomi? She seemed like a different person. I dont know what it is, but it seemed like a tv trope of women becoming completely mellow and subdued as soon as they fall in love. It seemed completely unbecoming of Naomi. Avasarala was just painful to watch. How many f-bombs were there?

I honestly lost a huge chunk of interest in the show now that Ashford is dead. Best actor, best character, and bonafide badass to the end. It also looks like Miller is gone.
Season gets its high points because of Amos and I kinda liked the Murtry/Belters conflict. The alien stuff was cool too.

That's how Aversarala is written in the books I believe.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, how old are Naomi, Marcos and their son in the books ?
Marco and Naomi met when Naomi was 16. I'm not sure there's ever a clear indication of how long they were together before Filip was born. They were still together for a while after Filip's birth (how long is not clear - however it''s short enough that Filip has no real memory of Naomi). At the time of what we see in the TV series, he should be about 17 or 18 years old. Naomi and Marco are somewhere in their mid-30s.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Production already started. It's happening. The big question mark to me is if Jared Harris (Anderson Dawes) is coming back. He's open to it, I guess it depends if the next book has a substantial role.
I noticed he wasn't in this season at all which really sucks because he was insanely charismatic. The scene where he and Fred Johnson campaign in front of all the belters was incredible. I hope he comes back

Oct 28, 2017
I didnt care for this season at all. The mystery box bullshit was annoying and not at all compelling. No real arcs for anyone either. The main cast hardly interacted which is why I watch this show. Their family dynamic is great. Holden having a moment with Amos saying he cant do this without him was as real as it got.

The Mass Effect plot was a waste and they inserted ALOT of padding. Murtry became a cartoon villain towards the end so everything that happened felt unearned.

Bobbi has become the star of this show for me now. Shes flawed but generally a good person. Her story of being discarded by her nation after returning from war is a theme that's relevant today.

I give it a grade of C. It's a well made but disappointing continuation of the show.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Well I'm 4 episodes in and I love it. Of course I'll need to see how the rest of it plays out but so far so good. I always loved the dialogue in this show and I think the plot is pretty cool right now.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I didnt care for this season at all. The mystery box bullshit was annoying and not at all compelling. No real arcs for anyone either. The main cast hardly interacted which is why I watch this show. Their family dynamic is great. Holden having a moment with Amos saying he cant do this without him was as real as it got.

The Mass Effect plot was a waste and they inserted ALOT of padding. Murtry became a cartoon villain towards the end so everything that happened felt unearned.

Bobbi has become the star of this show for me now. Shes flawed but generally a good person. Her story of being discarded by her nation after returning from war is a theme that's relevant today.

I give it a grade of C. It's a well made but disappointing continuation of the show.

Mass Effect plot?

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
This was a disappointing season compared to the previous ones. The plot plodded along slowly, there was no real revelations regarding the ancient civilisation stuff. The new Terra plot was pretty boring with Murtry etc. Crisjen is becoming a bit of a joke and Bobby is treading water.

Hope next season is a return to form.

Oct 28, 2017

It has a few elements from Mass Effect. Humans traversing the galaxy using ancient technology from a long dead civilization. They arrive at a planet they intend to colonize only to find massive structures built by the same aliens that built the mass relays. All the while the humans face internal conflicts that threaten their survival.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
It has a few elements from Mass Effect. Humans traversing the galaxy using ancient technology from a long dead civilization. They arrive at a planet they intend to colonize only to find massive structures built by the same aliens that built the mass relays. All the while the humans face internal conflicts that threaten their survival.
lol i have read shit like this in Ren Dhark books, over 20 years ago. I think they are from the 60s. There are probably 30 more books where a story like this already occurred.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
It's like when kids see an (old) dance in media and say "they took it from fortnite..."
Don't Ok Boomer at me.

Prepping up for reading Book 7.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

To be fair, Mass Effect did not invent that plot. Humans messing with alien tech is quite a trope in many scifi books. (And The Expanse is far from the most original piece of work in that regards).

edit: beaten by one of the writers I see.

Oct 29, 2017
Regardless of whether or not the alien plot has similarities with a video game or with decades of novels; I think the point Big Mac was making is that it goes nowhere in this season. Which is totally right because the alien plot goes nowhere in the 4th book.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Enjoyed the season overall though I get the criticisms over scale. From the trailers I got a bit of a sinking feeling having seen that episode of Star Trek where they have to evacuate reluctant settlers many times before. But it was well done. The Kevin Smith Amazon intro catch up video was fucking awful; I wouldn't have gotten past it as new viewer.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Resolution of boarding scene at the end was so stupid that it killed whole 4th season for me and i'm really scared for season 5.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017
Despite LOVING S1-3, S4 has been a major slog for me. I believe I'm 5 (6?) episodes in and it feels like not much has actually happened.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Resolution of boarding scene at the end was so stupid that it killed whole 4th season for me and i'm really scared for season 5.

Why was it stupid?

If he kills Marco then Filip just carries out what Marco was going to do anyway and he dies with all the information of what Marco is up to. He gets spaced and sends out a transmission that will likely play into next season.

KKRT

Oct 27, 2017
Why was it stupid?

If he kills Marco then Filip just carries out what Marco was going to do anyway and he dies with all the information of what Marco is up to. He gets spaced and sends out a transmission that will likely play into next season.
First Ashford surrendered and thats against his character.
Maybe Filip would carry what Marco was doing, but Ashford had battleship, that could destroy Marco's ship when boarding failed.
Also Marco had magically full crew just after killing Ashford.
The whole scene is just bad

--
If you thought that was stupid, you should strongly hope the series change a lot from the books 6, 7 and 8. Especially 6 and 8.
;/

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a bit and my memory sucks but I thought he wasn't sanctioned by the OPA to take out Marco and it was more a point of pride. Am I remembering that wrong?

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Why was it stupid?

A 3 person boarding party against an entire crew, one of whom buys it as soon as they breach. Ashford didn't even bother to secure the room. Doors and corners, etc.

AzureSky

Dec 11, 2017

Amos is a sociopath, the show is limited in some ways at displaying some things but this part is well done, lacking empathy is part of that.

not really a spoiler, just insight from the books:
Amos is not a mentally healthy individual in the books. The interesting part is, he is aware of that and decided the way to cope is to make Holden his role model, because he thinks himself not able to judge who should die. The impression is that he would be a homicidal psychopath if he didnt do it this way.

Oct 26, 2017
I absolutely hated it too. My friend messaged me right after that scene too and called it out. It could've been executed so much better. Genuinely, my least favorote part of the show.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I was less defending the whole boarding scene and more defending the choice Ashford made. I don't think a lot of scenes/decisions in the show make a whole lot of sense and this wasn't one of the ones that stuck out to me as egregious.