• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I really really dug this season. True it does feel like a lot of setup but sometimes you need that shit before things get really good otherwise it just feels all too fast.

Still, there was plenty of epic moments and the CGI was a notch improved. All the Ilus scenes were gorgeous and made me wish the entire show was like that and not just those parts.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
I'm halfway through and enjoying it a lot so far. I'm also digging the (sensible, in terms of the format shift) changes they made from what I consider to be the dullest book. Good job all round.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Really liked it, most all the plotlines worked pretty well.

The planet/Holden stuff worked pretty well, nice payoff with the Cancer meds macguffin. Nice to see the actual Miller assumingly one last time. Interesting additions to the background plot of the "things between the spaces". Really spectacular CG background when Holden climbs to the top of that spire, showing off how artificial that planet really was. My question to the Belters choosing to stay there: The big fat warning sign of a bunch of moons equidistant to each other in orbit. No Bueno.

The Bobbie stuff should have failed pretty easily, but it worked out well, and had probably the best CGI backgrounds yet. The explosion at the dock was really fantastic.

If Averserala hadn't left for the moon, I'd be confident that Marco's plan wouldn't succeed, but now...it feels like it will. That's a mighty big cliffhanger to end on...

I'll miss Wei, and while a complete bastard, I assumingly will miss Murtry. Burn Gorman can't get away from that type of character.

A slightly shallow season for Alex, that I hope gets rectified in Season 5.

I have a bad feeling about having to deal with Filip, and how Naomi will react to what he and Marco have probably done. Naomi had a strong season, and her "from where you are to where I am" speech was pretty great.

I loved the bit of redemption for Ashford, after realizing how close he got to fucking everything up in S3. Knew the right way to handle things with Marcos right off the bat, and sadly was right. Got to go out with a slick bang (sweet move using the momentum to his advantage), while showing his ruthlessness by sacrificing that other belter. Sucks to see him go out, but maybe he did enough with the message he sent to either avoid what's about to happen, or at least help prove something going forward. RIP Klaes

I didn't expect to see many/any of the other "named" actors (Jared Harris, Elizabeth Mitchell, Chad Coleman, and David Strathairn), so I was surprised we got that much of Strathairn, and happy to see Coleman back for I think 1 episode. I hope we get more of Coleman and Harris next season, if this Belter thing takes off with Marcos attack. At some point the Protomolecule Fred/Dawes has, will come back (as well as that crazy doctor that Dawes took)

As a bonus, a gif I would like to see used in the future:
F57lTa1.gif

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Finished, enjoyed it. Definitely a slower season. Did not care for Bobbie's stuff but it was good to see Mars in action. Let me just say that Avarasala's costume design was incredible, I wanted to dress like her because fuckkk she's glorious.

Holden sending off Miller was fine. I wish the point of the planet was laid out this season as it just leaves the whole arc feeling like it went nowhere in the bigger scheme.

I'm not sure what the point of Avarasala's whole arc was. Is she in the rest of the books? I assumed she either was staying as secretary or was just written out. She's too good a character to just drop a stupid rock on her and be left with 1 trick pony Gao. I hope the rock falls on her and they ask Avarasala to come back.

Oct 25, 2017
Ep 8

Fred Johnson sure got a big looks upgrade.

End of Season

Ultimately did not care for Avasarala's plot, just seemed like a lot of filler since I got the strong sense Marco's plan (pure speculation I have zero idea about the events off book 5) is gonna make a lot of what happened with her moot this season. Also OMG new Arjun was such a downgrade from Arjun Mk. 1. Really seemed to lack the genuine warmth the previous actor gave the role. (also the other Sec. General candidate was not that great of an actor either, yuck)

Bobby's story, while slight at the opening, I felt got a lot more interesting toward the back half of the season. Felt they could have been a little more front loaded somehow about what was going on with Mars' whole ethos sort of collapsing due to the ring discovery early, because I did find that aspect really interesting and wish they could have spent the whole season expanding on that insight.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Bobby's story goes to interesting places but takes a very roundabout way to get there.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question

Are Earthers and Martians physically the same because Martians train in 1G? In Episode 1, Naomi said Martians have to take the same painful treatment Holden is giving her, but I thought that Bobbie just got dizzy and was sensitive to sunlight when she went to Earth?
Holden mentions Martians have years of training in 1g before they start treatment and Bobbie was taking bone density pills while on earth. Guessing the training helps, but they still need a similar treatment to prep their body + drugs like bone density pills while on 1g environments for extended periods.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I finished the season. I watched all 10 eps end to end.

I have never done that with a TV show before in my life.

I truly loved this season after being a bit apprehensive based on what people have said about the book that it's based on.

I figure a lot of folks will think Bobbie's story/arc is the weakest link but I loved it. In the first 3 seasons Mars has always been a background piece compared to Earth and the Belt and it was nice to see time devoted to what life on Mars is like. I loved her story mostly because I loved the idea of Mars culture losing its sense of purpose due to the ring gate discovery, and the way it affects the martians. And the fact that her experiences actually tie into the overall plot was nice and didn't just feel like a total side quest. Plus I just love Bobbie.

I've never read the books but I think that I'll have to start, esp since I just blew my wad all at once and will have (at least) another year to wait until s05 lands.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the season. Fuck
the cliffhanger and Ashford getting spaced. Loved that guy. When's the next season coming out?

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the first 3 episodes and am loving it. I've missed this show so much.

I really need to get back into the books. I only read the first one, but never got around to the second.

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Finished, enjoyed it. Definitely a slower season. Did not care for Bobbie's stuff but it was good to see Mars in action. Let me just say that Avarasala's costume design was incredible, I wanted to dress like her because fuckkk she's glorious.

Holden sending off Miller was fine. I wish the point of the planet was laid out this season as it just leaves the whole arc feeling like it went nowhere in the bigger scheme.

I'm not sure what the point of Avarasala's whole arc was. Is she in the rest of the books? I assumed she either was staying as secretary or was just written out. She's too good a character to just drop a stupid rock on her and be left with 1 trick pony Gao. I hope the rock falls on her and they ask Avarasala to come back.

In the books Avasarala has a different trajectory. The previous Secretary-General didn't resign and she remained undersecretary, even working to get Gao elected to replace Esteban, in secret. The show changed her arc as she doesn't really have a consistent role to play in the various books. SyFy and Amazon know that the actress and character is great so they've changed her arc and greatly expanded her role.

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017

I truly loved this season after being a bit apprehensive based on what people have said about the book that it's based on.

I figure a lot of folks will think Bobbie's story/arc is the weakest link but I loved it. In the first 3 seasons Mars has always been a background piece compared to Earth and the Belt and it was nice to see time devoted to what life on Mars is like. I loved her story mostly because I loved the idea of Mars culture losing it's sense of purpose due to the ring gate discovery, and the way it affects the martians. And the fact that her experiences actually tie into the overall plot was nice and didn't just feel like a total side quest. Plus I just love Bobbie.

I've never read the books but I think that I'll have to start, esp since I just blew my wad all at once and will have (at least) another year to wait until s05 lands.

It's interesting you felt that way about Bobbie's arc, because the 4th book was basically all Roci and didn't feature her at all. From what I've watched of s4 so far it mostly seems to be made up of content from one of the short stories and some other novels. I also love it, the stuff they've added that wasn't in the book has worked really well.

I'd absolutely recommend reading the novels. I can't wait to see how they film the next series.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed how this seasons shatters the pillars of lore the show built with such strength over 3 seasons.

Its an amazing deconstruction of its own universe and i love how the status quo was so heavily changed in the end of the last season and how they got the balls to go all in exploring these themes

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Binged whole season and I can see why book this season is based is considered one of if not the worst book in whole saga. Whole season had very drastic change of tempo and themes from all previous seasons.

It also is very slow burning with several larger arcs from which I felt few overstayed their welcome by several episodes, one being Bobbie's arc. It just didn't have depth and writing to carry it for as long as it went. Payoff at the end of season with season 5 setup was all worth it tho, got me hyped for next year and season 5.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Episode 5 question...

I don't understand how the Belters blew up that shuttle containing the scientists...they were placing some kind of arming cap on the surface of Ilus...so how did it reach the shuttle that was landing?...the shuttle looked to be pretty high up in the air, so how did the blast take out the shuttle?

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 5 question...

I don't understand how the Belters blew up that shuttle containing the scientists...they were placing some kind of arming cap on the surface of Ilus...so how did it reach the shuttle that was landing?...the shuttle looked to be pretty high up in the air, so how did the blast take out the shuttle?

From what I remember from the Novel + what was shown in that episode, they had planned to simply destroy the landing pad, which would prevent the corp from bringing down their heavy equipment and setting up shop. However, the heavy shuttle came down earlier than expected, and would have triggered the explosives on landing.

They ended up detonating the explosives while the ship was still in the air, which caused it to be struck by debris (and crash due to this and the lack of a landing pad), but not be destroyed in totality

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
From what I remember from the Novel + what was shown in that episode, they had planned to simply destroy the landing pad, which would prevent the corp from bringing down their heavy equipment and setting up shop. However, the heavy shuttle came down earlier than expected, and would have triggered the explosives on landing.

They ended up detonating the explosives while the ship was still in the air, which caused it to be struck by debris (and crash due to this and the lack of a landing pad), but not be destroyed in totality

Physics of that sequence just seem very questionable

NuMiQ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Gah, I've been looking forward to this for over a year now and ofc when the time comes, I have absolutely no time to actually watch the new episodes >.<
Hoping to make some time tonight to actually watch the first episode. I feel ashamed as a fan.

Crimsonskies

Alt account
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

I figure a lot of folks will think Bobbie's story/arc is the weakest link but I loved it. In the first 3 seasons Mars has always been a background piece compared to Earth and the Belt and it was nice to see time devoted to what life on Mars is like. I loved her story mostly because I loved the idea of Mars culture losing it's sense of purpose due to the ring gate discovery, and the way it affects the martians. And the fact that her experiences actually tie into the overall plot was nice and didn't just feel like a total side quest. Plus I just love Bobbie.

Not gonna spoil anything but as someone who read the books if you love Bobbi you will not be disappointed she is here to stay buddy :)<

Cannot wait for season 5

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
for a show that usually gets the science part really accurate that sequence made no sense...

the shuttle was too high up in the air for the blast to have that big of an effect

If I'm being charitable, it was perhaps because in the book the cause of the crash was immediately obvious (like, in the first chapter), so maybe they wanted to keep that more ambiguous.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Really enjoyed it. Not my favourite season and I think it felt a bit rushed in places but still very good. My jumbled spoilery thoughts:

Definitely felt a few subplots were rushed, possibly due to the 10 episode order. The belters being so stubborn about staying on Ilus and then changing their minds (especially the leader woman) felt too fast, and also the infection went from 0-11 too quick to be dramatically satisfying. Both could've benefitted from breathing a bit longer IMO.

Ilus world building was amazing. Wasn't that fussed about the aspect ratio shift because I like how this is one of the few shows to actually fill up my giant TV, but still looked gorgeous.

Really liked the stuff about Mars losing its relevance when other habitable planets are discovered. That felt very plausible.

Infection plot also felt a bit familiar of the earlier Protomolecule storylines even if I still liked it.

Great to see Miller back in a bigger role. Thomas Jane is the best.

Shoreh got her best work of the entire show this season. I loved how pissed off she was the whole time lmao.

Liked Paul Schulze (Chapelle from 24) joining the cast. Did a great job as always.

Burn Gorman killed it. Wasn't the typical villain he first seemed.

Wei's death was really weird. I had no idea she died at first, so when they mentioned it I thought she'd be coming back, but nope, dead.

Was super predictable Strathairn's character was going to die as soon as Drummer opted out of joining him.

The CGI on the shot of Strathairn being spaced was so bad, especially in 4K lmao

Jan 29, 2018
Watched the first 3 episodes last night. Everything looks incredible, and I think the shifting aspect ratio is actually kinda cool and effective. It's hard to tell if the show actually got a notable budget increase, or if I'm just not used to the show spending any time planetside.

Interesting how (book five spoiler)
they seem to be bringing book 5 storylines in already. It makes sense to keep everyone busy. Though maybe we won't get Bobbie and Alex on Mars at the same time next season if Bobbie is already figuring shit out.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
That last shot of amos of the season after he got punched. His face. His grin. It was so terrifying and yet satisfying? He went all in

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
This season was very good.

A lot of the elements that seemed slight, like much of the Mars story and Avasarala, actually do set up the world properly for the future. I think it was very important for us to spend some time actually on Mars now before what will come, and same for Earth.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ this season was amazing. Me and my wife watched it until 3 AM and then finished off the final 2 episodes this morning. They really took advantage of the "binge" style of having all episodes at once I feel.

I hear a lot of complaints about Avasarala's plot this season but honestly I liked that it was a way to take a breather from the goings-on with Ilus.

Maybe the fact I love the characters so much helped me like the slower parts, but I liked how different and tense this season felt compared to prior seasons. Also, if they ever make a live-action Doom 2016 movie, my vote is for Amos to play Doom Guy. He's perfect, and I want to become him.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
One episode in and I like the setup for the season so far.

Not a fan of the weird shifting aspect ratio. That should never change mid episode, in my opinion.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I'm really disappointed with the CGI this season. I remember when the first trailder dropped people were talking about massive improvements and that Amazon money at work. And although there were a few shots in the first five episodes that made me think it, the vast majority of time it doesn't look different than previous seasons, and in others it look positively worse.

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else noticed the emblem on Marco's flight suit at the very end? Nice bit of foreshadowing.

The Laconian Eagle

Exemplar

Dec 12, 2017
Seeing some complaints about the Avasarala and Draper plotlines, but they're huge setups for season 5 and the events of Nemesis Games (book 5). Even other moments like Amos chatting with an imprisoned Melba/Clarissa and Alex checking in on Bobbie provide brief but heavy foreshadowing for what's to come next.

Marco seems well cast, and I'm sure we'll all grow to hate the ever-living fuck out of him next season, if you haven't already after watching him space Ashford. Glad they also introduced Filip before they concluded.

All in all, super happy with how season 4 unfolded, even with some of the larger character/plot tweaks, especially on Ilus.

Lastly, Amos' reactions and dialogue were so on point this season. Easily my favorite character of the bunch.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
for a show that usually gets the science part really accurate that sequence made no sense...

the shuttle was too high up in the air for the blast to have that big of an effect
from how I understood it, the shuttle was hit by the flying metal swarm things before landing on the pad, distracted enough to not realize it's been blown up. But I could go and rewatch that again

Dougald

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the season. Love it, and love the changes made too, bringing some of the ideas introduced in Book 5 forward really helped for both pacing and giving characters outside the Roci crew something to do. Possibly the only one that's surpassed the novel it's based on, all the changes made that possible.

This IP is really like the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy - the book and show have the same basic plot and the same main characters, but they often take different routes to arrive at the same place.

Book Spoilers:
I was kind of hoping we'd get to see Duarte in some fashion though

RandomSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Watching episode 7 and I love every single thing about this season, minus the recast. He looks smug all the time.

nekomix

Oct 30, 2017
First time I binge watched a season, normally I take a week or 2 but The Expanse is an exception and I was totally sucked by my screen from 10 am to 1 am. It was a great season and even if the plot on Ilus seemed thin, I liked the other plot lines and
I will miss Drummer (is she really leaving ?), Ashford and Miller
. 18 months after, it was worth the wait !
The aspect ratio changing personally bothered me, why not stay consistent with 16:9 ?

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
First time I binge watched a season, normally I take a week or 2 but The Expanse is an exception and I was totally sucked by my screen from 10 am to 1 am. It was a great season and even if the plot on Ilus seemed thin, I liked the other plot lines and
The aspect ratio changing personally bothered me, why not stay consistent with 16:9 ?

I guess the aspect ratio helped make scenes on Ilus feel more cinematic? I didn't mind it, although it meant I was watching a smaller image with black bars on my 21:9 monitor.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read the books, but the scene with Drummer seemed mainly to
Get her out of the line of fire so she'd survive