• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017

It's really interesting seeing those early prototypes. Killzone models!
They had a lot pulled together in 2013-2014.

I didn't realize the game was such a journey for Guerilla.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Great evolution of the concept and art design. I'm certain there will be flying mounts in HFW, can't wait to experience it in under a month!!!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I liked the more cartoony and stylized art from the original prototypes better, but it's not like I dislike the final product either.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I saw this title I thought "there is absolutely no way Horizon came out in 2011. The march is time is not this cruel, is it? Horizon cannot possibly he 10 years old already."

Very cool to see the prototypes in action.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Interesting that flight seems like it was going to be a major traversal mechanic for a couple of prototypes. I wonder how encounters and the world structure would have changed if you got most places on the back of a flying mech.

As it stands, the terrestrial mounts have to be improvised based on availability and don't move very fast. I spent most of my time with HZD on foot. So the original flight plans stood out to me most.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize the game was such a journey for Guerilla.
What you're looking at is like..pretty bog standard as far as game development goes. There's a reason why developers make vertical slices and then go ages without us seeing anything else. Games look ugly for a large portion of their development. This was all taken from the GDC talk iirc.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Interesting that flight seems like it was going to be a major traversal mechanic for a couple of prototypes. I wonder how encounters and the world structure would have changed if you got most places on the back of a flying mech.

As it stands, the terrestrial mounts have to be improvised based on availability and don't move very fast. I spent most of my time with HZD on foot. So the original flight plans stood out to me most.
It's because Horizon originally was supposed to be a massive world, probably heavily procedurally generated, which made flight make a lot more sense but later they decided to scale it down to a more standard sized open world game.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's because Horizon originally was supposed to be a massive world, probably heavily procedurally generated, which made flight make a lot more sense but later they decided to scale it down to a more standard sized open world game.
Talk about ambitious. Their scope must have been massive to facilitate flight.

I didn't like HZD's open world very much. I found it oddly featureless and unmemorable. This is something I hope to see improved in Forbidden West. I'm really curious what that map will look like.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Good insight into why new games take about 5 years to develop.

Also why some games might be canceled after 2 years.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Talk about ambitious. Their scope must have been massive to facilitate flight.

I didn't like HZD's open world very much. I found it oddly featureless and unmemorable. This is something I hope to see improved in Forbidden West. I'm really curious what that map will look like.
IIRC even with the map size of the final game flight was planned but had to be cut for performance reasons.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Crazy how development works.
We had flying mounts and mounts inside cities in the 2011 and 2012 prototypes.
The final game has none of them.
Also Helghasts killing a Thunderjaw prototype is awesome lol
Intersting that Aloy has a horse on one of their prototypes, I wonder if at some point they considered natural wild life too.
Really cool video, thanks for sharing.

Oct 27, 2017
Lego Thunderjaw, wish we had an option to fight that one in a holoarena or something.

The GDC presentations on this game are really good too.

OP
OP
Wrexis

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Intersting that Aloy has a horse on one of their prototypes, I wonder if at some point they considered natural wild life too.

I think the horse was an exception. When they realized that they would need a lore reason for a horse walking around (when other animals in the game are smaller etc) they changed it to a machine.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Orange hair aloy looked great

:(

loved the much more cartoony Loish's concept exploration for very early version of Alloy :

db1hw1w-153e6d08-fd03-40bd-8e77-49cca0f2f66b.png

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017

For anyone who actually wants to see the context behind the prototypes.

loved the much more cartoony Loish's concept exploration for very early version of Alloy :

Should be noted that she was never going to look like this given that Guerilla had always intended for the game to be realistic with digitally scanned faces and such.

Chaystic

Mar 2, 2020
Switzerland
Crazy how development works.
We had flying mounts and mounts inside cities in the 2011 and 2012 prototypes.
The final game has none of them.
Also Helghasts killing a Thunderjaw prototype is awesome lol
Really cool video, thanks for sharing.

Pretty sure Horizon has natural wild life already (it's been a while since i've played it).

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
playing the game i thought it was obvious they hit a wall at some point and had to scale everything down

not a bad thing and it happens all the time but it was relatively streamlined for an "open world game"

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

For anyone who actually wants to see the context behind the prototypes.

Should be noted that she was never going to look like this given that Guerilla had always intended for the game to be realistic with digitally scanned faces and such.

I know, it was exploration and iterative designs. You can see all along that video how the art direction and models got streamlined

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
More cartoon/artsy design looked good.

Seconds into the concept video and already riding flying mount. That's just cruel :(

Last edited:

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Pretty sure Horizon has natural wild life already (it's been a while since i've played it).

I played back in 2017 so IĀ“m also not sure but the OP already stated that we had smaller animals only :

I think the horse was an exception. When they realized that they would need a lore reason for a horse walking around (when other animals in the game are smaller etc) they changed it to a machine.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
Every iteration of aloy just keep getting worse, even the 2015 version looked so much better than the release version

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Early Aloy looked like a cheap Pixar Brave ripoff.

Ashley Burch's voice is perfect for Aloy.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Every iteration of aloy just keep getting worse, even the 2015 version looked so much better than the release version
The 2015 version is quite literally identical to the design used in the final game. Although given that it was 2 years from release her hair and clothing looked incredibly janky.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Most games start looking like this:
32526-scene.png

And when they don't start looking like that it's only because it's probably a sequel or based on an already existing engine within the team so they're starting with reusing the assets from there :D But still would have a lot of white cube shit.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
Flying mounts around a unfinished whitebox world = easy.

Flying mounts across a fully rendered world that looks great up close and far away and maintains a very consistent framerate (in your first open world game) = very hard.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Wait hold up they had flying mounts but cut them, goddamn

Blame the PS4 - it must have been almost incredibly difficult to get flying working in a game with Horizon's graphical fidelity.

It's why Forbidden West probably won't have flying either despite the PS5 most-definitely being capable of it. Same goes for sizeable machine hordes, though those are a bit more likely.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021

Aw man, I love this. I wish we got a game with a more cartoony art style. Everyone praises the new game for it's graphics but art style means more to me.

I'd love it if Sony had an active IP that is between the extremes of the very cartoony Ratchet & Clank and the insane realism of The Last of Us 2.

Dec 12, 2019
OP should watch this - they explained everything. Also why is there is no real horses in game. :)

www.youtube.com

The Making of Horizon Zero Dawn

How does a studio known for linear first person shooters design one of the most well regarded open world games of the generation on their first attempt? Nocl...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wait hold up they had flying mounts but cut them, goddamn
They experimented with flying mounts but had to cut them for performance reasons.
Aw man, I love this. I wish we got a game with a more cartoony art style. Everyone praises the new game for it's graphics but art style means more to me.

Notthisshitagain.jpg

Art direction doesn't start and end at whether or not there's a toon shader. Horizon has incredibly striking and distinct art direction. There's no reason to distinguish "graphics" from "art style." They're literally the same umbrella.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame that French/Dutch/Belgian studios can't draw on their great heritage of graphic novels when designing games, which is what that Aloy sketch implied. Instead we get these dull "as realistic as we can get it within current tech and budgets", which always ends up looking dated in a few years. Imagine a game looking like a Moebius or Mezieres design.

Ubisoft at least tried when they released XIII and Beyond Good & Evil, but those weren't exactly successful. I think modern tech could really make graphic novel style games look amazing though.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome to watch the evolution. Or in some cases, de-evolution. Too bad the flying was cut.

(I don't actually know if there is flying in Forbidden West, please don't spoil it for me!)

Just really fun watching the systems get built as they go and seeing the super-crude early areas that are still recognizable (Meridian, for instance). That 2013 proof-of-concept trailer... totally amazing. They should be very happy they never released it, though. Sad, but I can already imagine the death threats from the kind of grown children that engage with downgrade "scandals."

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
2923609-0719482713-C53f5TeU0AAqi7E.jpg%3Alarge
It's a shame that French/Dutch/Belgian studios can't draw on their great heritage of graphic novels when designing games, which is what that Aloy sketch implied. Instead we get these dull "as realistic as we can get it within current tech and budgets", which always ends up looking dated in a few years. Imagine a game looking like a Moebius or Mezieres design.

Ubisoft at least tried when they released XIII and Beyond Good & Evil, but those weren't exactly successful. I think modern tech could really make graphic novel style games look amazing though.
TIL Horizon's art direction is dull for not looking identical to a Dutch graphic novel and how it's literally just realism and nothing else. I literally hate that specific piece of concept art. Because it always brings out takes like these. šŸ˜¬

Like I genuinely can't fathom looking at the character design, lighting, foliage, weather etc and going "Man, this game looks pretty dull." Or worse "I care more about art style, implying there isn't one present"

Last edited:

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
In some ways I even prefer the low poly style. If a game looks like that and still becomes popular it usually has something unique in gameplay or story.