• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Would you suggest trying The Evil Within series?

• Yes

Votes: 549 86.3%
  • No

Votes: 87 13.7%

• Total voters

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Loved the first one and am currently playing the second which is different but still great. No reason not to play both if you like survival horror games.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Yay!

They're great games, I enjoyed both immensely.

They are not overly ambitious and have very little of actual horror (they're more in vein of RE4 action-horror) but I'm thankful for that approach, as it enabled me to complete both without alt+F4'ing (I'm a huge wuss).

Also, the Agony crossbow rocks.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely try them, they're probably dirt-cheap by now.

Evil Within 1 has a lot of moments of genius, but also some lows (technical issues, overly long).

Evil Within 2 is the safe sequel that's more consistent, but never reaches the highs of TEW1. Solid, but unspectacular. Still a lot of fun though.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
After playing 2, I appreciate 1 more. Is not like 2 is a bad game, but 1 had some very good set pieces.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
This will be a very divisive thread,lol.................anyway,just listen to me,the first game is like Resi 4's twisted evil cousin and a must play if you enjoy horror,the second one....isn't.
Play the dlc's as well because that's where all the story is.(2 is fine by the way,just not as good).

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
There's nothing horrifying in Evil Within. If you want a horror game id recommend you to play something else

If you want gory action games, then go ahead. First one have some really annoying parts but can carry you through gameplay. Had some cool ideas like the matches mechanic and you really feel limited in your ammo if you dont go around exploring for more (which in turn makes you meet more enemies so risk-reward balance)

Ive got nothing good to say about the second game. Era loves if for some unknown reason, i think its total trash.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Only played the first one. It's a poor man's RE4 with tons of cheap insta deaths. The story attempts to be somewhat clever yet it just managed to be utter thrash.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
There's nothing horrifying in Evil Within. If you want a horror game id recommend you to play something else

If you want gory action games, then go ahead. First one have some really annoying parts but can carry you through gameplay. Had some cool ideas like the matches mechanic and you really feel limited in your ammo if you dont go around exploring for more (which in turn makes you meet more enemies so risk-reward balance)

Ive got nothing good to say about the second game. Era loves if for some unknown reason, i think its total trash.

It definitely seems to be more action-based with a horror skin, than actual horror; but I'm ok with that. I like third person action games, like most.

OP
OP
Travless

Travless

Mar 7, 2018
Only played 2, but really enjoyed it. There's a lot of enjoyable survival horror mechanics to play around with, a very nicely small open map to explore and discover, and the story, which being definitely B-movie-esque is really well executed and has a crazy strong finale.
Did you ever feel out of place due to skipping the first entry?

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the first one, to me it feels like how resident evil 5-6 should have been. It's tense in all the right ways, often giving you exactly the right amount of bullets to just escape an encounter by the seat if your pants.

I'm currently playing through the 2nd one for the first time and I love it already. That tension is still there inky now I think there's a lot of genuinely scary things in it. I've been legit freaked out by things in this game at least 3 separate times and I'm still in the early stages

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the series. But I would infinitely rather Tango Gameworks release a new IP. The storyline is wrapped nicely. That post-credits sequence of EW2 isn't enough to justify a continuation of the plot.

Rodento

Dec 28, 2017
I don't play many horror titles as I'm easily frightened (in fact, the only one I could beat it by myself is the Resident Evil remake, that I loved), but I wanted something different from the games I usually play, so I decided to get into the first The Evil Within at the start of the year.

Now that I'm approaching the end, I can say that it's one of those games that has some rough spots there and here and is far from perfect, but at the end you get a great experience from it with great mindfuckery moments and a true sense of tension throughout it.

I don't know if I will like some changes in TEW 2 as some people has put it as a really divisive game respect the first one, but I'm sure that I want to continue this series.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play the sequel or any of the DLC, but the main game of The Evil Within 1 is absolutely worth playing.

Chapter 3 specifically is just all-around outstanding level and encounter design.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Did you ever feel out of place due to skipping the first entry?
Whether they did or they didnt shouldnt matter, the first game does flesh out the main characters and the setting of both games. And a lot of people prefer it. The complete collection goes for dirt cheap.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I'm honestly amazed people think the first is the better of the two, it's definitely not. It's such a hodgepodge of bad game design and poor level design, it's not bad, but I really had to force myself to play through it, didn't even bother with the DLC stuff (which is necessary to make sense of the poorly written, confusing story). The second game is a significant improvement in every single way.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm honestly amazed people think the first is the better of the two, it's definitely not. It's such a hodgepodge of bad game design and poor level design, it's not bad, but I really had to force myself to play through it, didn't even bother with the DLC stuff (which is necessary to make sense of the poorly written, confusing story). The second game is a significant improvement in every single way.
The first game is actually somewhat hard, crazier and feels more like a fever dream and is gritty plus has the match mechanic.

It has a lot of BS though and wprse boss battles, that's for sure.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
first one was cool, it is like a twisted gore slasher trip, has real highs but also some lows. the second one was more in the vein of a supernatural psycho thriller, i thought it was a little bit bland tbh. personally i wanted more of the first in the second game, so it was somewhat of a letdown for me

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I think the first one is the better horror experience (atmosphere, setpieces, artdesign, WTF-moments etc.) and the second one is the better, more polished game (controls, gunplay etc.).

Last edited:

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
The first game is actually somewhat hard, crazier and feels more like a fever dream and is gritty plus has the match mechanic.

It has a lot of BS though and wprse boss battles, that's for sure.
It was definitely harder, but to me it felt more like artificial difficulty rather actually being difficult, that is to say, lots of unfair BS, rather than things that were actually challenging to the player.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It was definitely harder, but to me it felt more like artificial difficulty rather actually being difficult, that is to say, lots of unfair BS, rather than things that were actually challenging to the player.
I agree but the 2nd was way too easy even on the hardest normal difficulty so eh.

The first 9 or so chapters of TEW1 are perfect

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
I haven't played the second one but I am not a fan of the first, way too frustrating and the story is just too weird for me.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but the 2nd was way too easy even on the hardest normal difficulty so eh.

The first 9 or so chapters of TEW1 are perfect

The second game is a bit too easy, but the first game was kind of annoying at times, there's a bunch of 1 hit kills in situations that aren't telegraphed well enough.

Both games are essential plays for horror fans anyway.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
It's amazing. Play it!

Edit: Play both lol. If you like survival horror, it's a very safe assumption that you'll be satisfied with at least one of the two games.

Last edited:

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely Yay. TEW is the best survival horror game since RE 4 and TEW 2 is the second best survival horror game since RE 4. Both are also better than RE 7 but they will both come up short as expected against REmake2. Regardless, both are great games (8.5/10 for me but for different reasons) and easily worth playing through at least once.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first one is fantastic, the second one is really middle of the road. It's fine. It's worth playing if you can get it for $15 or something.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the opposite of many but I thought The Evil Within 2 was amazing and I could barely get through the original. Almost dropped it many times but pushed through because I wanted to see the end.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Evil Within 1 is worth playing on the PC. That version can brute force a lot of the issues that plague the console versions.

For TeW 2, you can play that on whatever. The performance is much better there.

GrazGamer

Oct 27, 2017
First one I gave up a chapter 7, didn't like it.

Went back to finish, and have fully completed again. Now one of the best games I've ever played. Would put it above RE4 personally.

2nd one, for me, was pretty forgettable. Will play it again though.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
a problem both games have is bloat, there are several useless chapters in both games.

from what I recall:

Chapters 11 (or 12? can't remember) in EW1. yet another apocalyptic building area to reach the final area.. why? I just went through that.

I think chapter 5 in EW2, the mansion after you fight the giggling monster with a saw for the 2nd time, a bunch of pointless, time wasting "puzzles" that didn't advance the story

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
First one was good. Second one was alright. I didn't like how they tried to make it open world. Doesn't fit in the genre.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I loved the second game. I wasn't a huge fan of the first but it did have a lot of interesting ideas and some good sequences that I felt were worth experiencing so I'd say give them a shot.