• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
New member here.
I just finished the game. I thoroughly enjoyed it more than the first one. I loved cleaning the open spaces from enemies every single time and getting tons of gel from them.
About the ending
For me it was a rollercoaster of feelings, it was exciting to see bosses from the first game and that last boss design was superb. I really liked that there was closure for Sebastian, but i'm hoping the third game has a different protagonist.
Now.. i've thought about ideas on how they can continue the game and i'm hoping to hear from others too on this.... Maybe they figure out to bring out a bit of STEM into real life... Monsters and nightmares alike attacking and killing a lot of people. That's kinda how i'd see a sequel, but that's just me.
I liked that the game relies a lot on stealth since i excel there. For me it was a 9/10 fun game and a 9.5/10 survival horror. Near perfection there.
Have to add... that VA acting on the end cinematics was amazing!

My thoughts on sequels in general:
I was originally hoping that this game would have centered around whatever Ruvik got up to when he escaped STEM/Mobius/Beacon in the first game. I thought maybe he'd have looked into something similar to what you suggest, where manifesting his will from his mind came to be in the real world -- or that he found a way to do the Wireless STEM like Beacon but at will using just his mind so he could instantly drag people in to some dark realm where he just steam rolls them with their greatest fears. A bit like Scarecrow from the Batman comics/series in a way.

That said, with this game, if they'd written it a little different, they could've done something similar... where Ruvik was a ghost in the machine... maybe possessing psychopaths and using them to try to get to the core. Think along the lines of horcruxes from the HP series, a bit, I guess? Twist ending, he shows up when you survive the boss rush and Theodore bursts into flames.

Where they are now? It's hard to say. Some new corporation could come in to take over what Mobius was doing and they wouldn't miss a beat, but it'd be hard to get Sebastian to go into the Matrix again. They'd be better off doing something along the wireless STEM from the Beacon incident and having people get pulled in unknowingly... almost like some Nightmare on Elm Street fall asleep and not realize you're dreaming and Freddie has taken control.

Or Ruvik could show up to try to pick up the pieces and do something sinister... maybe he has a grudge against Sebastian for the events in TEW in some fashion and decides to pull him in again... they really need to make some crazy stuff up to get it to work in it's current state though. It felt a lot like they were just trying to tie everything up from the first game (outside of what happened to Ruvik and Joseph after Beacon), so that makes me think they think they might not get to make another game in this series.

i did kinda wonder if you could
kill the guardian over and over outside the theater
for green gel. but definitely when i come upon a group of enemies i get a little thrill because i want that gel. it's amusing how this game turns its most terrifying nemeses into rich natural resources, which are then used to cause their kind even further pain and suffering.

I'm not sure if Guardian respawns indefinitely there... but either way, it's a righteous bullet sponge without a stealth option. The best method for getting gel is to just cruise into NG+ if you like it enough to keep going. After finishing Nightmare and doing NG+ to get the rest of the upgrade and weapons related achievements, by the time I was in chapter 6 I had fully upgraded my entire skill tree and had at least 80k gel to spare. High quality weapons parts were the pain in the ass. I would've been done with the game outside of the classic run by chapter 3/4 of NG+ if I could've found one more. I didn't get it til chapter 6 though.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts on sequels in general:
I was originally hoping that this game would have centered around whatever Ruvik got up to when he escaped STEM/Mobius/Beacon in the first game. I thought maybe he'd have looked into something similar to what you suggest, where manifesting his will from his mind came to be in the real world -- or that he found a way to do the Wireless STEM like Beacon but at will using just his mind so he could instantly drag people in to some dark realm where he just steam rolls them with their greatest fears. A bit like Scarecrow from the Batman comics/series in a way.

That said, with this game, if they'd written it a little different, they could've done something similar... where Ruvik was a ghost in the machine... maybe possessing psychopaths and using them to try to get to the core. Think along the lines of horcruxes from the HP series, a bit, I guess? Twist ending, he shows up when you survive the boss rush and Theodore bursts into flames.

Where they are now? It's hard to say. Some new corporation could come in to take over what Mobius was doing and they wouldn't miss a beat, but it'd be hard to get Sebastian to go into the Matrix again. They'd be better off doing something along the wireless STEM from the Beacon incident and having people get pulled in unknowingly... almost like some Nightmare on Elm Street fall asleep and not realize you're dreaming and Freddie has taken control.

Or Ruvik could show up to try to pick up the pieces and do something sinister... maybe he has a grudge against Sebastian for the events in TEW in some fashion and decides to pull him in again... they really need to make some crazy stuff up to get it to work in it's current state though. It felt a lot like they were just trying to tie everything up from the first game (outside of what happened to Ruvik and Joseph after Beacon), so that makes me think they think they might not get to make another game in this series.
Quick question.
Did you watch the post-credits scene?

ProfeOne

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game. Enjoyed everything about it. Definitely recommend it if you like survival horror.

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question.
Did you watch the post-credits scene?

Yessir.

I assume you're talking about the empty STEM facility having the machine boot and sit flashing seemingly ready to go? Yeah, but I didn't see a lot of clues of a concrete plan for a sequel in that. Speaking of the post credits scene, it felt a lot like T2: Judgment Day, didn't it? :)

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
what's the best place/way to farm green gel? earlier the better of course!

just bought that bullet cascade upgrade.

I wanted to give you my input because i got synaptic focus very early in the game, and that's because i killed everything and circle around on the open areas to make sure i kill everything even if i it's twice until towns/areas were absolutely clean. It was fun and enjoyable for me. By the later chapters i had almost all of the abilities and it was because i was thorough in killing everything everywhere, there wasn't need of something special outside of that. Hope that helps and you enjoy the game as much as i did!

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Loved this so much I played through it twice. That said....

I wish the game did at least confirm/deny that Ruvik made it out of the first game. That's still lingering. That and Kidman promised to talk about Joesph, yet she doesn't. Hopefully, the upcoming DLC will finally resolve both of those questions. Or at least Joesph. I'd be content with a TEW 3 that's all about Ruvik.

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys just got accepted on the board and I'm extremely excited to be here. (Thank you mods for the easy transition)

So I just completed classic mode last night:
Made it to the last boss with 9 handgun bullets and 2 shotgun shells only....no gunpowder/no other ammo. As long as you can make it to the 2nd phase of the battle the boss will drop as much handgun ammo as you need. I immediately started a new game plus on survival mode. I can't tell you how satisfying it felt to run into Union with infinite magnum ammo and literally spin in circles mowing down zombies with little to no care of death. I love this game lol Just trying to mop up collectibles for the platinum.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
first post and game impressions on ERA, woohoo!

I thought this game dragged a bit here and there, slightly... but man the whole final act was just incredible, very few games nail the epilogue in such a way

really enjoyed TEW2... much more than the first, even

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Something I was wondering, what is the requirement to unlock Sebastian's classic outfit? Do you just have to beat nightmare, since I got the other 2 by completing the game on survival.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just started playing, and so far, Im having a blast. Noting all my impressions on a notepad to write a review later. But The first things Im noticing is that even tough the music is a bit generic, the ambience sound on this game, water dripping, footsteps, metal grinding, are all really impressive. My first encounter with
Tatiana was amazing and frustrating too, because her new voice is pretty awful.

Im liking the "open worldish" aspect of the sequel, it gives me a different kind of tension knowing I could stumble upon an enemy completely random instead of a scripted sequence.

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this so much I played through it twice. That said....

I wish the game did at least confirm/deny that Ruvik made it out of the first game. That's still lingering. That and Kidman promised to talk about Joesph, yet she doesn't. Hopefully, the upcoming DLC will finally resolve both of those questions. Or at least Joesph. I'd be content with a TEW 3 that's all about Ruvik.

Ruvik is definitely out of STEM @ Beacon in Leslie's body. The way he walks out, the look on his face as he glances back... definitely out and MIA.
And I'd be content too. As much as I liked the case from the original (and miss the original VAs), my favorite was Ruvik hands down.

Hey guys just got accepted on the board and I'm extremely excited to be here. (Thank you mods for the easy transition)

So I just completed classic mode last night:
Made it to the last boss with 9 handgun bullets and 2 shotgun shells only....no gunpowder/no other ammo. As long as you can make it to the 2nd phase of the battle the boss will drop as much handgun ammo as you need. I immediately started a new game plus on survival mode. I can't tell you how satisfying it felt to run into Union with infinite magnum ammo and literally spin in circles mowing down zombies with little to no care of death. I love this game lol Just trying to mop up collectibles for the platinum.

The brass knuckles are what I used to rain down my vengeance in Nightmare NG+. OHKO on almost anything. Run up. They roar. "Shut up." PUNCH.
Rinse and repeat.

Something I was wondering, what is the requirement to unlock Sebastian's classic outfit? Do you just have to beat nightmare, since I got the other 2 by completing the game on survival.

When I beat nightmare, I had the classic outfit on NG+ -- it's probably the costume for clearing it much the same way as you get the brass knuckles for clearing nightmare.

I just started playing, and so far, Im having a blast. Noting all my impressions on a notepad to write a review later. But The first things Im noticing is that even tough the music is a bit generic, the ambience sound on this game, water dripping, footsteps, metal grinding, are all really impressive. My first encounter with
Tatiana was amazing and frustrating too, because her new voice is pretty awful.

Im liking the "open worldish" aspect of the sequel, it gives me a different kind of tension knowing I could stumble upon an enemy completely random instead of a scripted sequence.

The new VAs really bug me.
You'll find out soon enough that the open world-esque areas are kinda few and far between.

Oct 27, 2017
In my classic mode playthrough and this one part frustrates the hell out of me
The 'fire walk with me' part in Chapter 13 with those flaming dudes is ridiculously hard with the way they gang up on you and how weak your weapons are. Not to mention the narrow area which makes everything harder
Going through my Casual playthrough to ease my mind off before trying again, looking forward to upgrading all my guns in one go

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017

I got that outfit and I only played on survival. Could be for finding all the slides or the resonances, as I got those

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I got a Pre-order code for....some sort of bonsu that didnt arrive until today from BB...anyone want it?

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
You get it when you complete
the sections with the ghost, you also get the revolver after that
there are 3 in total.

Ah, yeah I did that. Speaking of...
in the first area if you approach the really big building on the far side of town the screen will go white and she will start floating in and out. Is that just a place you can die or is there more to it?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Ah, yeah I did that. Speaking of...
in the first area if you approach the really big building on the far side of town the screen will go white and she will start floating in and out. Is that just a place you can die or is there more to it?

I think that
is just a place where you have to avoid her until you get back to the real world.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first game for the first time last night and played 2 hours of this today, holy shit what an improvement. The visuals are like a generational leap, could hardly believe it was the same console.

I also really like the small creepy town aesthetic. I was getting so tired of the warehouse looking stuff in the first game.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
This is a great game. I thought the original was decent at best. It was a real slog at points, overly difficult and the story made absolutely no sense. This game fixes all of the problems of the original. Difficulty balance(played survival) was perfect, I could follow the story throughout, the stealth gameplay was effective and fun. Definitely my surprise of 2017.

Resident4t.

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Before release I was worried about the quality of the game, but now that I'm 10 hours in it's easily a GOTY contender for me.

I actually tried going back to the first game and I was really surprised by how poorly it controlled in comparison. Also the framerate is just awful on PS4.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
After finishing this yesterday: I liked it quite a bit, but I didn't love it. Evil Within 1 on the other hand was my favourite game of 2014 (together with Alien Isolation).

I'm disappointed that they changed so many things completely, instead of focusing on solving the couple of issues the first game had – and in my opinion it really didn't have too many issues. Instead we got something very, very different.

I miss the high frantic tension, I miss the environmental traps, I miss the matches, I miss the gritty, surreal art direction and dark medieval settings, I miss Sebastian's and Kiddo's old faces, I miss Joseph… I guess, I just miss the first game.

As much as the change of pace and the more open levels where interesting to me at the beginning in chapter 3, this Americana suburban setting lost its appeal to me very quickly. I found it just too boring, empty and generic in its design. I think, if they'd applied their new semi open world formula to settings with the art direction of the early part of the first game, I would have liked it a lot more.

Also, the difficulty level of the (stealth) gameplay was not nearly challenging enough for my taste. This game on Nightmare felt a lot easier to me than the first one on Normal. The biggest reason for that, I think, is the ease of just running from enemies, braking line of sight and being able to re-stealth and backstab again immediately. After getting a little bit more experienced with the enemy AI and movement, you could cheese them and kite them around in circles like it where child's play. The first game pressured you constantly and almost never let go of the throttle. I liked that. It felt like frantic, true survival horror. You had to use all your tools, all the environmental traps, all your wits and ammunition to stay alive. There were few games that did that.

And finally characters and story: EW 2 has a very hollywoodesque streamlined, emotionalized approach to its story telling. Everything is crystal clear and spelled out to you very slowly, multiple times in a loud voice, so that absolutely everyone gets it. There is zero subtlety or ambiguity left here. Everything is flashing in big glowing capital letters that hit you straight in the face. I don't like that in general, but here in a franchise that used to be very surreal, confusing and ambiguous, it's an especially harsh change in direction imo.

So yes, overall I enjoyed it for what it was, but I can't help feeling disappointed.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dusk Golem, please tell me you still have that huge post about Anima somewhere! I really want to read it as soon as I finish the game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing this yesterday: I liked it quite a bit, but I didn't love it. Evil Within 1 on the other hand was my favourite game of 2014 (together with Alien Isolation).

I'm disappointed that they changed so many things completely, instead of focusing on solving the couple of issues the first game had – and in my opinion it really didn't have too many issues. Instead we got something very, very different.

I miss the high frantic tension, I miss the environmental traps, I miss the matches, I miss the gritty, surreal art direction and dark medieval settings, I miss Sebastian's and Kiddo's old faces, I miss Joseph… I guess, I just miss the first game.

As much as the change of pace and the more open levels where interesting to me at the beginning in chapter 3, this Americana suburban setting lost its appeal to me very quickly. I found it just too boring, empty and generic in its design. I think, if they'd applied their new semi open world formula to settings with the art direction of the early part of the first game, I would have liked it a lot more.

Also, the difficulty level of the (stealth) gameplay was not nearly challenging enough for my taste. This game on Nightmare felt a lot easier to me than the first one on Normal. The biggest reason for that, I think, is the ease of just running from enemies, braking line of sight and being able to re-stealth and backstab again immediately. After getting a little bit more experienced with the enemy AI and movement, you could cheese them and kite them around in circles like it where child's play. The first game pressured you constantly and almost never let go of the throttle. I liked that. It felt like frantic, true survival horror. You had to use all your tools, all the environmental traps, all your wits and ammunition to stay alive. There were few games that did that.

And finally characters and story: EW 2 has a very hollywoodesque streamlined, emotionalized approach to its story telling. Everything is crystal clear and spelled out to you very slowly, multiple times in a loud voice, so that absolutely everyone gets it. There is zero subtlety or ambiguity left here. Everything is flashing in big glowing capital letters that hit you straight in the face. I don't like that in general, but here in a franchise that used to be very surreal, confusing and ambiguous, it's an especially harsh change in direction imo.

So yes, overall I enjoyed it for what it was, but I can't help feeling disappointed.

Agree completely.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's an improvement over the first game in most departments. The gameplay is a lot more user friendly, it's less clunky so to speak and is more polished. I enjoyed my time with it, but wish it would've had a better lead up to its end.

Bloody Five

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, I don't understand all the positive impressions and praise for this game.
I am a huge fan of the first and to me, this second entry was mediocre, very lackluster and my biggest disappointment of the year.

Gameplay wise, the enemy, encounter and environment design can't hold a candle to EW1.
The open world seemed like a nice addition at first but then you realize that nothing very interesting is happening in it.
As for, the story and script, it was downright embarrassing. Everything sounded like an unintentional parody of some budget sci-fi horror cable movie written by untalented graduates from film school. Almost every line made me cringe.

Playing the EW2 made me appreciate the genius and brilliance of the EW1 even more.
It's like putting the copy from a far less talented pupil next to a masterwork.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I have to agree with people saying that the more open non linear world design felt like a mistake.

Alfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game. I enjoyed it, but I think I like the first game more, though the games are very different from each other.

I basically used stealth the entire game just to conserve resources. The AI is so easily exploitable. Bushes are super overpowered early in the game, and combat encounters for me always ended up being silly chases to get back into cover to reset the situation and set up for another stealth kill attempt.

So, since I cheesed the game with stealth, I'd like to re-play the game and actually engage in the gunplay and combat. I barely used the crossbow this time around, while it was essential in the first game.

I also had so much gel by the end of the game that the last few boss fights were a breeze. The bullet cascade and slow mo combo is ridic.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about two hours into the game, done my first Nav-point finding quest. Just going very slowly as I suck at coping with horror games.

Do the monsters around town respawn, or are they dealt with for good once dispatched?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about two hours into the game, done my first Nav-point finding quest. Just going very slowly as I suck at coping with horror games.

Do the monsters around town respawn, or are they dealt with for good once dispatched?

Dealt with for good when dispatched, but new enemies will come at certain story moments. There's not an infinite supply and they aren't random though.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Dealt with for good when dispatched, but new enemies will come at certain story moments. There's not an infinite supply and they aren't random though.

Okay, good. I can bring my heartrate down a notch after I've cleared a building/area then.

I'll be cheesing it with Stealth as I'm more interested in plot/bizarre setpieces than I am with the actual gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't understand all the positive impressions and praise for this game.
I am a huge fan of the first and to me, this second entry was mediocre, very lackluster and my biggest disappointment of the year.

Gameplay wise, the enemy, encounter and environment design can't hold a candle to EW1.
The open world seemed like a nice addition at first but then you realize that nothing very interesting is happening in it.
As for, the story and script, it was downright embarrassing. Everything sounded like an unintentional parody of some budget sci-fi horror cable movie written by untalented graduates from film school. Almost every line made me cringe.

Playing the EW2 made me appreciate the genius and brilliance of the EW1 even more.

A little harsher than I've been, but the sentiments are the same.
I was skeptical on the game since the E3 reveal trailer, but figured I'd wait and see.
It was pretty much what I expected and at the end of the day, I was saddened that it was pushed into the more action type horror with a faux open world design at points. However, I can't blame them for trying what they did as they were attempting to bring in people who weren't sold on the first game... (reminds me of Capcom getting NT to make DmC instead of giving us DMC5 in a way). I can't argue that they seem to have pulled the slider back to get the support of people who weren't fans of the first game... however, by doing so, they disappointed people like you and I who loved the first game. And at the end of the day, I'm not sure the partial increase in sales will offset the less than stellar word of mouth generated by people who didn't love the changes... if it ends up being a disappointment to the Bethesda brass in terms of sales so a third game isn't greenlit, I'd lament that this game didn't go out on the things that made me love the first. If sales do perpetuate the creation of a third installment, I really hop they sort of reign in the changes and try to make something that appeases both sides rather than chasing "new sales". :|

Okay, good. I can bring my heartrate down a notch after I've cleared a building/area then.

I'll be cheesing it with Stealth as I'm more interested in plot/bizarre setpieces than I am with the actual gameplay.

How can you "cheese it" with stealth? Stealth is the whole point of the game, or it's supposed to be... Tango didn't turn it into a straight up horror-based TPS quite yet. Weapons are still hard to use to effectively cull the enemies leaving avoidance (still stealth) or assassination kills as the bread and butter of the gameplay loop with regards to combat.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I actually quite enjoyed the last few chapters in terms of story and bosses, but yea couldn't agree more. Made me appreciate EW1 more that I went ahead and played it.
They need to concentrate more on the horror and tense situations and dial down the scripted events. The open world design hurt more than it helped imo, kinda diluted the whole experience.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Thought about deleting this to make room for something else, because I was running out, but couldn't bring myself to in case there's DLC. I wish they would've announced plans early.

I'm also working my way through the first game, as my first attempt to do so ended in frustration around launch. I'm on chapter 7 or 8 now and am liking it more, post patch. Playing on casual though, because it was a bitch at launch.

LorentzFactor

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty bummed that the cutscenes all had de-synced audio for me. This is a game I would like to do NG+ with so hopefully the PC will be fixed in a few months time. Ideally there would be some great DLC

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm convinced that on the PC this game is doing some kind of resolution scaling thing a la Quantum Break.

This game is a blurry mess. You can see it immediately in the splash screens. Kind of surprised that this hasn't been a talking point.

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Evil Within 2 and found myself thinking about how the sequel highlights the differences between Western and Japanese developers.

The vibe of the first game by Shinji Mikami was clearly designed to be one of an unrelenting nightmare that was constantly throwing players off-guard by whatever came next. The second game by John Johanas is a far traditional experience focusing more on being grounded with an easy to follow narrative and a semi-repetitive open-world design. I find myself believing more every day Western developers are far more resistant to paint a broad picture of what something should feel like (a nightmare in this case) because of an overriding focus keeping things digestible and grounded. Nightmares are anything but. There was never a moment I didn't know exactly what was going on in the sequel.

The enemy design on the new monsters/creatures was largely less intimidating to me than the original with monsters looking more stylishly evil than outwardly dangerous. This was especially highlighted for me in the callbacks to the original game.

Sorry for being rambly. Still not a bad game. Just not nearly as interesting or brutal (the violence is significantly toned down) to me as the first. I'd give it an 8.1.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just finished it this moment. I found it highly enjoyable, yet a different game than the first which I also really liked.

I'd give it a pretty big recommendation to anyone looking for a fun, stylish survival horror game.

closer013

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for being rambly. Still not a bad game. Just not nearly as interesting or brutal (the violence is significantly toned down) to me as the first. I'd give it an 8.1.
I feel that's a very fair assessment.
Anyone else bummed by the lack of variety in the enemies. Also, did any of you feel surprised that the fact that
Stefano's art that you must destroy wasn't set up as boss fights?

Croaker

Oct 27, 2017
Glad I came back to this. I enjoyed it a lot. That said, the beginning is a bit shit. Stefano is not compelling and his areas don't have the quality of later ones.

The
flashback enemies
also highlighted the mediocrity of the creature design and variety this time around.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that's a very fair assessment.
Anyone else bummed by the lack of variety in the enemies. Also, did any of you feel surprised that the fact that
Stefano's art that you must destroy wasn't set up as boss fights?

Glad I came back to this. I enjoyed it a lot. That said, the beginning is a bit shit. Stefano is not compelling and his areas don't have the quality of later ones.

The
flashback enemies
also highlighted the mediocrity of the creature design and variety this time around.

I'd argue the smaller scale, in general, was probably symptomatic of a smaller budget. I don't know if anyone remembers the first could be had after launch for $24.99 a month at Target for Black Friday. Source:
It's not much of a stretch to say Bethesda did the math, sorted out a budget that would make a sequel worth their investment, and handed the project over to someone who complete the game for the budget they'd set. Devs can't really go crazy with the enemy variety if they don't have the budget, so I kind of understand what the case is.
The callbacks to the first game were probably just as much tools of nostalgia as cost cutting measurements.

That said I hope the game does well enough to warrant another sequel, hopefully with Mikami returning. We'll know next month based on the discounts the game gets for Black Friday.

toph

Oct 28, 2017
I can't play survival horror games because I'm too big of a baby, but I watched a playthrough.

Great game! I was surprised at how touching it could be.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
How can you "cheese it" with stealth? Stealth is the whole point of the game, or it's supposed to be... Tango didn't turn it into a straight up horror-based TPS quite yet. Weapons are still hard to use to effectively cull the enemies leaving avoidance (still stealth) or assassination kills as the bread and butter of the gameplay loop with regards to combat.

To quote Alfredo in the post above mine:

Alfredo said:
The AI is so easily exploitable. Bushes are super overpowered early in the game, and combat encounters for me always ended up being silly chases to get back into cover to reset the situation and set up for another stealth kill attempt.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Reached chapter 10. I'm loving this game but I find myself to be loving it for different reasons than the first game. Particularly, the presentation here is top notch and the focus on Sebastian as a character is a very welcome addition. Making him the focus of this game is great and it certainly made the character more than just a "what the fuck" machine. I miss the variety of the first game though that's for sure but they're both different games in the sense that I find myself in the second one planning out my entire route before leaving the safe house so it definitely has this "once you're out, you're fucked" kind of vibe(though the A.I is certainly all over the place). Whereas in the first game, it's mostly just planning out how to take care of encounter after encounter since the game more or less is linear. Not to mention, fucking brutal.

Both games are good but for different reasons and I'm fine with the jank in both games. The second game has less jank and I'm just glad they made a second one to be honest, I love the world of The Evil Within.

Again, I really can't stress enough how much better the presentation is overall. Really well done. Also, the atmosphere is still fantastic and this game at times can look real pretty.

Last edited:

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
I didn't know the director of this was a westerner until the end credits came up. In retrospect all that hollywoodification makes much more sense to me now.

I'm convinced that on the PC this game is doing some kind of resolution scaling thing a la Quantum Break.

This game is a blurry mess. You can see it immediately in the splash screens. Kind of surprised that this hasn't been a talking point.

Very true. Even all the texts in the game (except in the inventory/journal screen) have that weird upscaled fuzziness going on. How that is even possible in the year 2017 is beyond me.