• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I think they should do it just to help start elimnating E waste. I

Jun 3, 2018
How would this significantly reduce e-waste? There's only one major company that's not on board with the standard as is. Would this increase the quality of cables across the board? Most of the ones I throw away were shitty ones that were on a usb variant, the "standard", already.

Part of the idea is that phones would no longer be bundled with chargers and cables. Instead you just keep reusing those you already have.

If your USB cables keep breaking get a quality one from Anker / UGreen / Amazon Basics, the ones that come with devices are often garbage.

Feb 1, 2018
Because professionals have been leaving iPads/Macbooks for competitors,

haha where

iPads dominate, there's no competition in that space.

Macbooks are still macbooks, they're the defacto for web/app development and still the "gold standard" for mobile creatives despite the 2016-2018 keyboard fuckups

Cite your sources and prepare to get them slammed by someone like me who works in industries that are mac centric

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I understand this argument in theory....but what would a "genuinely better port" even do better?

USB C right now supports data transfer at rates that are more than high enough for any possible use for a mobile phone. It's small enough in every dimension that it's not adding significantly to the size of a phone or wasting internal space. It's cheap for phone manufacturers to use and cheap for consumers to buy additional cables. It carries enough power to quickly charge any battery that can fit into a phone. It has the ability to carry audio and video in common display formats. It works with USB C peripherals and storage and it's backwards compatible with the infinitude of old USB devices and accessories with cheap adapters. It's highly compatible and becoming more so, and, as an added bonus, it fixes USB A's flip-flip-now-it fits issues.

Any different port is going to sacrifice at least a few of those advantages, and it's really difficult to see what improvements could be made that would be worth those sacrifices.
That might be why Apple would go cordless

Oct 30, 2017
the exact same thing already happened in the EU with micro USB and apple just got around it by shipping a lightning adapter.

i would love apple to switch to USB-C for real, but at this point i think lightning is so entrenched that normal people would find it much more of a pain. the prevailing headline sentiment in mainstream press would be "omg apple forces everyone to buy new iphone chargers".

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Lol, shit... really?

No idea... but f'real as if we're skint on examples of Apple being anti-consumer fk-heads with their propriety everything.

Can't even browse my fkn iPhone's contents ffs [ex-iPhone, like hell I use that shite anymore].
Yes. USB-c development was announced in response to lightning, didn't ship for two years after, and wasn't ubiquitous on mobile phones for another year after that. Even now usbc is a crapshoot in terms of speed and charging capability.

I don't blame apple for not wanting to give up an advantage they cultivated.

Still I wouldn't mind them switching again.

Oct 28, 2017
Those who are arguing against this because it would stifle innovation need to explain to me why lightning port is still usb 2.0(480mbit/s) and why it was late to the whole fast charge thing.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It's not because the EU asks all phone manufacturers to use the same charging ports that the EU ask them to use the same charging ports FOREVER.

Most formats are developed by groups of manufacturers, they can decide to make the switch to a new port as a group and decide on the timing.

Oct 30, 2017
Those who are arguing against this because it would stifle innovation need to explain to me why lightning port is still usb 2.0(480mbit/s) and why it was late to the whole fast charge thing.

because lightning was developed as an alternative to micro USB, which looks like this if you want 3.0 speeds:

micro-b-male-cable_1.jpg

apple supported 12W charging with ipad power bricks since forever, then in 2015 started supporting 18W USB-C PD fast charging once the hardware was there (ipad pro/12-inch macbook power brick/USB-C-to-lightning cable), then it came to phones with the 8/X. if you're saying they should've been quicker to create their own proprietary fast-charge thing like qualcomm, well, maybe, but that doesn't have anything to do with USB standards.

(i'm not arguing against this because it'd stifle innovation, though. they should and will just ship a USB-C adapter in the box as they did with micro USB the last time this happened)

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
oh no I can't charge my phone and I'm too stupid to carry a tiny lightning cable in my bag/pocket. Tough shit

didn't the EU mandate something like this before around micro USB? Apple seemed to ignore that

Oct 30, 2017
oh no I can't charge my phone and I'm too stupid to carry a tiny lightning cable in my bag/pocket. Tough shit

didn't the EU mandate something like this before around micro USB? Apple seemed to ignore that

the exact same thing already happened in the EU with micro USB and apple just got around it by shipping a lightning adapter.

i would love apple to switch to USB-C for real, but at this point i think lightning is so entrenched that normal people would find it much more of a pain. the prevailing headline sentiment in mainstream press would be "omg apple forces everyone to buy new iphone chargers".

Quiksaver

Oct 26, 2017

The lightning port in the phone itself has planned obsolescence. As I've mentioned, I'm going through my second one with the same problem. It has bad contact.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Nearly, yes. A brief summary is that the EU looked at the proliferation of different charger types, decided that things couldn't stay like that, and told the industry that they had to either clean things up or there would be EU regulation.

The industry got together in 2009, signed a memorandum of understanding to move to micro-USB as a standard, and extended that memorandum a few times, then signed another similar one in 2014 which was in place until last year.

Apple were one of the signatories of the memorandum each time, but implemented micro-USB via adapters (like this one for €25, a totally justifiable price for a bit of plastic with a few internal strands of metal). They got away with that because it was technically within the boundaries of the memorandum, and because the memorandum itself, while forced into existence by the EU, was still a voluntary one.

Apple's skirting of their own agreement is one of the reasons why the EU wants to go with the regulatory route this time.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no standards, the horror, won't anybody think of the poor poor companies?

Standards change and if this regulation passes there should be room enough to update them in the future with zero issue.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I'm all in.
Considering apple already uses usb-c on their computers and ipads, it should come to the iphones soon enough.
I understand people saying that it might be superseded by another connector in the future, but considering we can get lots of power and lots of data transfer I think it will be good for quite a while.
Also, the shape of the connector itself is decoupled to what is transfered, and while it caused the mess that is currently the sea of usb standards, it means that if we need more power or data throughput, it can be done without changing the plug.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Isn't this old news ?
I remember EU demanding manufacturers did that like 10 years ago (it was a huge mess before) and then all phones gradually switching to micro USB, which is pretty much standard across all phones and tablets and lots of other things now EXCEPT for Apple's. It's always fucking Apple.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Lighting connector pretty much screwed up iOS 13 with flash drives on my 2017 Pro. Can't even power one without a USB hub because lighting can't deliver enough power. It's a pretty dumb connector tbh when a regular USB connector many many years older than it can power and do more. So yeah, I wish the connector never even existed and they would have just stuck with what Android had.

Oct 28, 2017
Usb type C is just a connector. The industry has been able to innovate within its framework.
It is the plug that was chosen for USB 4.0 (aka thunderbolt 3)

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018
These are the different sockets in the EU but note that Red, Green and Teal are compatible to the blue standard.
Swiss uses different variations, but the newer "Eurosocket" form factor is also compatible to the blue standard.

That leaves the UK with the only non-compatible sockets in the EU. On the other hand "leave", "UK" and "EU" are interesting keywords.
main-qimg-760e16095ddb4bdd0c75a2fc98878070.webp

???

Ireland ain't going anywhere pal.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's essentially Apples take, that it will stifle innovation. Which is sort of true.
Who gives a shit about some fancy innovation when the planet is fucking dying. This can save 50tonnes of waste. Fucking go for it. In this case a lot of people would benefit from a more convenient product and less cost once there is one cable to rule them all. After a while there won't be cables being packaged in EU phones because everyone already has enough.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Good, helps reduce the big carbon and environmental footprint chargers have which has been known for quite some time.

There is also very little innovation to be done in this area any ways, what an absurd concern that it will stifle it. The advantages outweigh it.

Last edited:

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is a joke, but it feels like it doesn't work because it's too absurd/unlikely.

How? I know that the ones most of Europe use have the small advantage of being usable with either side up, but besides that, I don't know why/how one socket would be considered superior

• Prong Design: Like standard U.S. grounded plugs, the U.K. wall plug has three prongs. But the design of these prongs makes it nearly impossible for you to shock yourself accidentally. Unlike in U.S. plugs, half of each prong is coated in insulation. Because of this, even if a plug is not fully inserted into a socket, touching the exposed part of the prongs can't give you a shock.

• Socket Design: Any kid with a fork or a screwdriver can light his hair on fire in the United States by jamming it into a wall socket. Not so in England, where it would take at least two screwdrivers to manage the same calamitous trick. The U.K. plug is designed so that the grounding prong is slightly longer than the prongs responsible for transferring current. Like a tumbler in a lock, this grounding prong is responsible for "unlocking" the socket, giving access to the more dangerous live and neutral terminals.

• Built-In Fuses: During World War II, a copper shortage resulted in the British government putting fuses into every plug, instead of wiring them directly. Although the built-in fuse adds bulk to the U.K. plug design, it's also safer: In case of an unexpected electrical surge, the fuse simply blows and the electricity shuts off, preventing fires, electrocutions, and other accidents. It also makes U.K. plugs easier to fix.

• Circuit Design: Finally, there's the wiring inside the plug itself. Not only is it extremely intuitive, but it has been thoughtfully designed so that if the plug is tugged and the wiring frays, the live and neutral wires are the first to become disconnected, while the grounding wires–the ones responsible for preventing human electrocution when they come in contact with a circuit–are the last to fray.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Say what you want about people (wrongfully) slamming the European Union left and right. They've done quite a few consumer-friendly initiatives and this is one of them.

Deleted member 9932

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Won't someone please think of the billion dollar companies that are only trying to innovate and make our life so much better?

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
These are the different sockets in the EU but note that Red, Green and Teal are compatible to the blue standard.
Swiss uses different variations, but the newer "Eurosocket" form factor is also compatible to the blue standard.

That leaves the UK with the only non-compatible sockets in the EU. On the other hand "leave", "UK" and "EU" are interesting keywords.
main-qimg-760e16095ddb4bdd0c75a2fc98878070.webp

UK sockets are the best anyway, from a safety point of view. Unless the plug is on the floor and you have bare feet, then your fucked.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bite. What sucks about the UK 3 pin plug socket? As detailed as possible pls.

The main downsides are that they're big and they're monodirectional. Everyone who's used them for decades knows the rigmarole of contorting yourself to plug something in behind a TV cabinet or down the back of the sofa because it only goes in one way (which also puts stress on the cable if you're plugging in something above the socket, which you usually are given the low height of most plug sockets), and they're a pain to thread into narrow spaces because of the bulky, right-angled design.

Just this morning I had to choose between dismantling a cubicle or rewiring the plug to install a new monitor because the bloody thing wouldn't fit down a cable tidy. And I ended up installing the plug sockets behind my TV upside down because otherwise it's impossible to neatly plug in a cable coming down from above.

I understand the advantages but it's definitely a design that could be improved and that I'd gladly switch to something more elegant if it was available.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
I am fully supportive of this, Apple has been skirting the rules for too long.

For those saying no due to innovation, it would be exactly as it is now except Apple would have to comply.