• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963450/The_Eternal_Castle_REMASTERED/
http://www.theeternalcastle.net/

animation22zkeau.gif

Action: The Eternal Castle sends you in a powerful journey packed with dangers and challenges through fast-paced melee action, calibrated ranged attacks, and/or cautious stealth approaches.
Adventure: Immerse yourself or speedrun through levels featuring random events, encounters, traps, riddles and exploration, in a semi-procedural world set up for replayability.
Atmosphere: Each world features a unique atmosphere, written through different personal and second hand experiences, re-applied to fit a post A.I. fallout world set several hundred years in the future.

. Enjoy the atmosphere, strategize, or speedrun through a post-AI fallout packed with challenges
. Play over 20 levels across 5 unique worlds
. Fight a BOSS at the end of each world plus 2 final Bosses
. Use up to 10 different weapons found in different worlds
. Unlock up to 10 different items to gain different abilities
. Find 30 missing FRAGMENTS to get back home
. Repeat the dream for as many times as you can before officially dying

fighting_steam.gif

ai_loop.gif

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
"cinematic platformer"

Sold.

I'm such a sucker for that genre, especially when the game has such style.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
If there was one thing Another World wasn't, it was procedural. The whole random events and "repeat as many times before dying" make it sound like a roguelite and that has very little in common with AW.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That use of the Spectrum's color palette sure is bold. Looks intriguing.

edit: procedural level design? Yeah I'm much less intrigued now.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
If there was one thing Another World wasn't, it was procedural. The whole random events and "repeat as many times before dying" make it sound like a roguelite and that has very little in common with AW.
That use of the Spectrum's color palette sure is bold. Looks intriguing.

edit: procedural level design? Yeah I'm much less intrigued now.
RPS says the devs describe it as mostly scripted with different handcrafted room placements rather than entirely generated rooms
You choose what order to tackle each level in (after an initial tutorial segment) and the developers say there's enough random events and different room placements to give it some replay value, although it's still mostly scripted.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
RPS says the devs describe it as mostly scripted with different handcrafted room placements rather than entirely generated rooms

Procedural and cinematic platformer in the same sentence sounds almost like an oxymoron to me. I have difficulty imagining random events built for replayability capturing the essense of what makes a good cinematic platformer. It sounds much more like something to appeal to a modern audience that value length of playtime over quality.

We'll see how it turns out, but there's a reason the best cinematic platformers were short and had strict scripting.

EDIT: I suppose Impossible Mission would be a decent argument that it isn't impossible do to though, assuming we consider that an early part of the genre.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018
Hey! I'm that RPS guy - just need to set an avatar, huh? I've not played enough to really see how the random elements work out, but it doesn't reset on death, and I don't think resetting the level changes anything either. I think it's just for added replay value after finishing it. When you die you can reset back to the last checkpoint or to the level select screen.

It feels very Another World, although its combat is a bit more forgiving thanks to your health bar. You can take a few hits and just outrun some enemies.

Last edited:

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing sound! Thanks for sharing this as it wasn't anywhere near my radar.

I believe this is the artist responsible for the bulk of the music - Ogre Sound

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I'm that RPS guy - just need to set an avatar, huh? I've not played enough to really see how the random elements work out, but it doesn't reset on death, and I don't think resetting the level changes anything either. I think it's just for added replay value after finishing it. When you die you can reset back to the last checkpoint or to the level select screen.

It feels very Another World, although its combat is a bit more forgiving thanks to your health bar. You can take a few hits and just outrun some enemies.
Have you played Sundered? Would you compare this to that?

Mar 28, 2018
Have you played Sundered? Would you compare this to that?

A very different feel. Sundered felt like it was just an arbitrarily thrown-together platformer level with (wildly random) enemy placement. So far everything I've played feels scripted and hand-placed and the backdrops are very detailed. Enemies are pretty sparse too, and only appearing where they're narratively make sense to so far.

While there's some scrolling, there's flip-screen transitions as well - it feels like a grungy and decayed Another World, or some later CD-ROM era take on the genre (ala Heart Of Darkness, maybe?) but scaled down and palette-crunched until it fits into the old CGA DOS format.

The animation feels very detailed, smooth and modern. The palette is purely a stylistic thing.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
A very different feel. Sundered felt like it was just an arbitrarily thrown-together platformer level with (wildly random) enemy placement. So far everything I've played feels scripted and hand-placed and the backdrops are very detailed. Enemies are pretty sparse too, and only appearing where they're narratively make sense to so far.

While there's some scrolling, there's flip-screen transitions as well - it feels like a grungy and decayed Another World, or some later CD-ROM era take on the genre (ala Heart Of Darkness, maybe?) but scaled down and palette-crunched until it fits into the old CGA DOS format.

The animation feels very detailed, smooth and modern. The palette is purely a stylistic thing.
Sounds ridiculously up my alley

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Sounds great.

Anyone know what price they are aiming for?

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was 100% in until i read procedurally generated. There are great games using it, but it's just not the same as bespoke, handcrafted level design. Especially in a cinematic platformer.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer looks fantastic. I'll be waiting for a few reviews (and opinions here on Era), but it went from "never heard of this" to wishlisted in an instant.

edit: and of course it's a thread by More_Badass.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I was 100% in until i read procedurally generated. There are great games using it, but it's just not the same as bespoke, handcrafted level design. Especially in a cinematic platformer.
Check out Dominic's impressions, it seems like it's that the runs are generated from handcrafted rooms and are set for a single playthrough. It's not rooms being generated and thrown together

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: lazy devs rhetoric
Another interesting game fall into procedural level mechanic pit. It is ensure that experience isn't handcraft or pacing as developer intended but RNG which is a big turned off. Even some of them is handcrafted but it somehow show a little bit lazy and use that as excuse. I know that it is design choice but to me it felt that way that developer is too lazy to come up with cool level design.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Another interesting game fall into procedural level mechanic pit. It is ensure that experience isn't handcraft or pacing as developer intended but RNG which is a big turned off. Even some of them is handcrafted but it somehow show a little bit lazy and use that as excuse. I know that it is design choice but to me it felt that way that developer is too lazy to come up with cool level design.
When games like Spelunky, Unexplored, etc exist, dismissing procedural generation at a glance seems odd, doubly so when the rationale is "the devs were probably just too lazy to design levels"

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Check out Dominic's impressions, it seems like it's that the runs are generated from handcrafted rooms and are set for a single playthrough. It's not rooms being generated and thrown together

All of that sounds good indeed. I'm still interested, it's just that bespoke design promotes things like balanced flow, or storytelling and mood setting through structure. Procedural generation is always at a disadvantage on certain things, no matter how good its design. Everything else about this game looks fantastic though.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Lazy devs strike again! /s

Check out Spelunky, Unexplored, and Into the Breach for great examples of smart, well-designed procedural generation.

The worst part of procedural generation is the bemoaning of procedural generation.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
This looks really cool. I'm going to wait for more impressions due to the procedurally generated aspect, but really interested.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This looks SICK.

Just bought the game based on the first 20 seconds of trailer alone.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Magenta/cyan CGA parts look horrible but the sprite/animation style is nice and looks good enough. Intriguing!

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This game is nice.

It reminds me a LOT of the oldschool Flashback game in both gameplay and level layouts.

It has the same somewhat sluggish movement animations as Flashback or maybe even Prince of Persia, which makes close combat a bit of a slugfest and platforming more challenging than it should be sometimes.

The visual style is incredibly well done, even with two or three color tones the world feels dirty and dystopian. Music is aces as well, the synthwave is used sparingly enough that it doesn't feel overwelcome.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
What a mesmerizing artistic design!

It truly catches the mood and the fascinating environment of the original 'Another World', through the same abstract nature in the building of its world.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So far so good. I've only done the tutorial and currently in the ruins as my first area. I'm loving the aesthetic, little details, and animations. For example, teleporting back to your ship is a painful moment of your body being disintegrated and reformed, then your character collapses to their knees, vomiting before getting back up. The aesthetic is simultaneously vivid and grungy; vibrant neon, shadows and lighting, yet the tech and environments feel faded and dense and decrepit. The movement has the weighty feel of Another World and other cinematic platformer (more Another World than Prince of Persia), and I'm finding the melee enjoyable. You have a surprising amount of moves too: attacks vary sprinting, rolling, crouching, jumping, etc.

So far traps have been signposted through visual/environmental cues, so I haven't encountered any egregiously trial-and-error moments yet. The pacing, at least for now, feels less like the "find the correct route" puzzler nature of Another World and more like Another World meets metroidvania-lite, since there are items to find, different weapons to collects, exploration to be done, regular checkpoints, and you have a decent-sized health bar

Looking forward to see more of this world and the different set-pieces

My main issue right now is a technical one: framerate. It might be a issue on my end, but I'm not sure. The tutorial area ran smoothly, but the framerate took a hit once I started the main ruins area.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like, the basic melee animation is good enough for a beat-em-up.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seriously, don't sleep on this one. Awesome game all around.

Surprisingly difficult at times, too. Fuck that "maze" in the sewers.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
I'm stuck on the guy who tells me how many fates I've changed. Funnily enough, he's single-handedly responsible for doubling the number. I can't beat him and I can't go back the way I came without splatting.

Am I supposed to just whack at him? I really regret dropping the axe for the mace, it seems much worse.