• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.gamesindustry.biz

The ESA sets dates for E3 2021

The ESA has announced the dates for its next E3 conference: June 15 to 17, 2021.The news was shared with partners this …
The ESA has announced the dates for its next E3 conference: June 15 to 17, 2021.

The news was shared with partners this evening, with the ESA saying it would hold a "reimagined" event next year.

E3 2020 was cancelled as of last month due to COVID-19, with the ESA saying at the time it was "exploring options with our members to coordinate an online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020."

However, there is currently no update as to whether or not the ESA is still planning a digital event in 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds this doesn't happen even without a pandemic preventing it? Like every year more and more companies pull out, and I feel like that's gonna be way more severe after every company is forced to go a year without it and realize they don't actually need it. Not every company will pull out of course, but I feel like there's some amount of important companies leaving that would make the ESA not think the event is worth it to put on.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I would love to be in the meeting where they decide the way to handle this is to go ahead and announce E3 2021 now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
resetera told me that there wouldn't be one ever again though
ESA announcing its happening doesnt mean others will sign with them. Even if everyone leaves them they will keep E3 going with influencers.
if doing digital shows works well for the publishers, no reason to sign up with the ESA anymore.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
resetera told me that there wouldn't be one ever again though
Era is looking at the ESA with that Silky Johnson swag going into E3 this year.
200.gif

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as we'll get the usual Ninty E3 Direct I'm fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
even if it were to happen (which i'm sure it will, no matter how many big publishers pull out after this year there's a ton of smaller publishers that need something like E3), it seems like not the best time to confirm it for next year.

Yeah, this isn't happening.
there will be an E3 2021. the only question is who will attend and how big of a deal it will be.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
The hilarious thing is, this virus could be here to stay even that far into the future.

We will almost certainly have either a somewhat reliable cure, a vaccine or enough herd immunity (but likely at least two of the three) that it won't be a major issue in 14+ months.
But yes, some of the measures, like masks and increased hygiene and much less tolerance for people being visibly sick in public spaces/at work, will remain with us going forward.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yah, nope ESA don't plan on this actually happening - this pandemic won't be all gone by then

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And if there's something worse than the Great Depression that lasts for years more people will die of hunger and suicide than they would from the virus
Except in any half decent country there's still no reason people should be going hungry from this. Food production channels are still fine, and there's no reason so far that that should change.

The only problem is that America is a shithole country that would probably let a bunch of citizens die still in the name of capitalism, but hey.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one has any idea of this. Please don't act as if you do.

Ok to rephrase this.

I think it's unlikely that there will be an effective counter to this coronavirus ready, and widely deployed to enough of the worlds population to make giant conferences not a significant risk to partake in.

Even if ESA held a conference next year - which companies (and company employees) would be willing to attend?

It will be a damp squib if it happens at all (in my opinion).

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Ok to rephrase this.

I think it's unlikely that there will be an effective counter to this coronavirus ready, and widely deployed to enough of the worlds population to make giant conferences not a significant risk to partake in.

Again, calling it "unlikely" simply isn't something that anyone knows right now. It is far too early to assume that events like E3 and Comic-Con will be cancelled in 2021 due to the current pandemic.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Except in any half decent country there's still no reason people should be going hungry from this. Food production channels are still fine, and there's no reason so far that that should change.

The only problem is that America is a shithole country that would probably let a bunch of citizens die still in the name of capitalism, but hey.
Not yet, I was saying if we stayed closed for almost and year and we had something worst than the depression

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Apparently the ESA's plans to do a digital replacement for E3 2020 have fallen through, as you could probably tell with IGN swooping up most of the major publishers for its own early June event.

Here is a interesting slide from their failed pitch:
EUxiv-hWkAMOn_K

I think I'm starting to understand why Sony has moved on from E3. The ESA is so out of touch with its audience.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently the ESA's plans to do a digital replacement for E3 2020 have fallen through, as you could probably tell with IGN swooping up most of the major publishers for its own early June event.

Here is a interesting slide from their failed pitch:
EUxiv-hWkAMOn_K

I think I'm starting to understand why Sony has moved on from E3. The ESA is so out of touch with its audience.

lol. ESA really wants to make this influencer-focused E3 thing no matter what. good to see publishers not going for it.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
They should focus on the current one and not leaking out people's personal info before guaranteeing that one will happen next year.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Meh. June 2021 is a long time from now. I suspect that many more publishers will be pulling out of E3 until it no longer feels like E3 anymore.

Publishers were not leaving E3 en masse. That is a false narrative that continues to get pushed.

Assuming the world is in a safer place and gatherings like this can happen, E3 will happen next year and the majority of major publishers will be there.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck getting anyone significant. This is the year that will show them that companies and devs don't need E3. I mean, we haven't needed E3 for years. But yeah.