• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
The epic launcher is a free download. It's not comparable to having to buy a console for $3-400 to access a specific title.

Yes I'm responding to the title/thread premise.
I wish getting a new console was as easy as downloading an .exe file!
It's just another click bro. The fact that we still have garbage like this being posted is unbelievable. Educate yourselves. It's not like there have been thousands of posts by PC Era on this topic.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Windows 10 most likely. Probably DirectX 12 exclusive.

uh...

giphy.gif

If you're going to be disingenuous about exclusives we can bring in the requirement specs into the discussion.

Oh, those gosh darn 2080Ti exclusives!

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's an absolute shame Epic even has to do this, but hey money means more to publishers then their reputation so theres that.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
But not really, though if I had to do something like buy a Gsync monitor to play epic games, that would be equivalent.

Thank goodness I can buy a freesync monitor now without worrying if any future nvidia cards will work with it.

Nvidia vs everyone else, the real people bringing consoles to PC.

I don't see it. G-Sync is an Nvidia feature, just like HBAO+, RTX, DLSS, etc. If you want to use those features, you need Nvidia hardware. However, you don't need those features. No games require them. All games work on both Nvidia and AMD hardware (though they generally work better on Nvidia hardware due to better driver support).

A better analogy would be if Nvidia paid a developer to specifically make their game not work on AMD hardware. That's essentially what Epic is doing with their store and Steam.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Valve brought console wars to PC gaming when they put a virtual platform on an existing platform.

This. The internet and even this forum are rife with what you would consider Steam "fanboys". Epic just intensified everything by entering the market in such aggressive fashion. Has them riled up.

Steam existing was a god send for the PC market though.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It was needed because Microsoft was (and still is) being actively hostile towards PC gaming.

There is language in the Steam developer agreement requiring devs do not do that (language along the lines of "You cannot treat Steam customers worse than customers from elsewhere" in reference to pricing). Because Steam terms are designed around doing what is best for their users.
Do you've any proof of this in 2019?

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
User Warned: Trolling
God I hate people who scream about hating monopolies, and then freak because someone else is getting into the marketplace and maybe disrupting things.

Spoiler: Valve also has exclusives to their store only, or at least did when they made video games.

edit: I apologize for this coming off as trolling. Didn't mean it as such.

Last edited:

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The Epic Store is not "competition". It's the big corporation coming in and throwing money around to buy market share, while sidelining everyone else. Epic's actively working to stop others from competing with them.

Thankfully most PC gamers are smart enough to see Epic's bullshit for what it is.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This. The internet and even this forum are rife with what you would consider Steam "fanboys". Epic just intensified everything by entering the market in such aggressive fashion. Has them riled up.

Steam existing was a god send for the PC market though.

Or you know? Maybe there is legitimate criticism coming from people who use Steam, Gog, uPlay, Origin etc.?

No. That can't be. Must be Steam fanboys that maybe are entitled to:

Achievements
Cloud Saves
Being able to play those games on Linux
Being able to even buy those games (lol, fuck some regions)
Using their preferred controller
Being able to share games with friends
Being able to use Communityguides on their TV

etc.

Nope. Just fanboys.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
What about the people that benefit from Epics pricing in territories Valve hasnt paid attention to?

I and literally thousands of others cannot buy Metro Exodus right now, and yet we're talking about regional pricing? What the games on Epic where they're more expensive because Epic pushes processing fees on customers?

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
God I hate people who scream about hating monopolies, and then freak because someone else is getting into the marketplace and maybe disrupting things.

Spoiler: Valve also has exclusives to their store only, or at least did when they made video games.

And because it has to be repeated endlessly, making your own self-funded content exclusive to your own platform is fine (i.e. Half Life 2 on Steam, Battlefield on Origin, Fortnite on Epic etc) but buying rights for someone else's content in order to not appear on other platforms is just plain scummy.

People don't give a shit about Origin, Battle.net, GOG, Uplay etc but do on this one case why do you think that is??

The Epic Store is not "competition". It's the big corporation coming in and throwing money around to buy market share, while sidelining everyone else. Epic's actively working to stop others from competing with them.

Thankfully most PC gamers are smart enough to see Epic's bullshit for what it is.

But sadly most people on this forum ain't

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
^ This pretty much sums up my thoughts. Competition is always good, regardless of how it's accomplished. I could care less if Epic payed for X game to be on there because at the end of the day, if I want to play it, I'll just buy it. When EGS starts to have a bigger install base & more devs decide to release titles on both, then we'll start seeing an interesting push in the PC Gaming market, but you can't join a race that started almost 2 decades ago and not do something to catch up.

Issue is that EGS is offering a subpar experience both as a shop (as it is right now a glorified list of games that just links to specific pages on them, without any other real functionality) and as a ecosystem.You cannot launch a store that has less functionality than Steam did 10 years ago and say you are competing. I don't ask them to be on par with Steam, but I would ask them to be better than Origin at launch, or at least have something that separates them from Steam from a customer point of view.

As of now, as a customer, the only thing I have seen from EGS is them not caring about my experience but rather to force me to buy games there.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Or you know? Maybe there is legitimate criticism coming from people who use Steam, Gog, uPlay, Origin etc.?

I think there is legitimate criticism. Just saying, console warring has existed on PC for a long ass time, and Steam fanboys have been a thing for a similarly long ass time.

Just stating the obvious really, or am I wrong?

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Why it's not just another launcher:

epicshitsjkig.png

Incomplete list: there are even more features missing in the epic fail store like universal VR support, gifting, pre-loading etc.

If a game is EGS exclusive I will not play it

Also:

dyb0f-kxqaazlnw54j02.jpg

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ironic then, because of Epic's move you can only have one single source for certain video games, like Metro Exodus, instead of having it on multiple stores/launchers.
To all readers - internalize this fact before you come in and start talking about the nature of a platform you don't even engage with

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I would point out to you the difference but it's been pointed out so many times in these threads that you've gotta just be ignoring that shit on purpose

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The actual problem is Epic is creating a monopoly themselves by buying out third party titles to be exclusive to their store, thus making it so those titles can't be had on other storefront and compete on price. Metro Exodus is MORE expensive on the Epic store then it was on Steam because it has no regional pricing for Australia and they increased the price by $10USD.

But no one can compete to have it cheaper. Because it is ONLY on the Epic store, something which they hilariously were vehemently opposed to Valve doing but a okay for Epic to do. Competition is brought from competitors having access to the same titles, when you take that away you get no competition and free reign on what is and is not allowed like we are seeing with Epic. Terrible store design, adhoc refunding, no local currency, no support channels and no proper accessibility options like Steam Big Picture.

On top of this you also have Epic removing the third party key resellers who actually work in favour of keeping prices adjustable and affordable. They are legal, yet with Epic that can't be done or not with as much ease as Steam is. But again, Epic care little because they talk about hating Steam for being a monopoly then go and do just that.

What Epic should have done from the get go is gain the same library and offer cheaper prices because of their split. Instead they are pushing their service to the grave while thinking Fortnite's cash cow is invincible. That is hurting PC Gaming and it fucking sucks.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
It has absolutely nothing to do with the console wars.

If you have a PC, you can use any launcher, regardless of who has the exclusive. The only way you're locked out of it, is if you lock yourself out because "no steam no buy."

In which case, you have no one to blame but yourself.

The EGL, like any other launcher, will evolve and become more feature complete, exactly like Steam evolved. Competition is *always* good for the customer, and Steam's monopoly over the years has made them complacent, which resulted in many drawbacks, including their sales becoming much less attractive as of late.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't the whole "PC gaming is dead" become a meme already.

Are you kidding? PC Gaming was genuinely not in a good state around the early to mid 2000s, and its turned around to what its been for the past few years now largely in part to the digital distribution avenues that Valve was instrumental in bringing about.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
All they have to do is making sure publishers offer their games 5 bucks cheaper than on steam. As is, as a customer you have no added value using Epic over Steam. The opposite is the case, in fact,.

Instead Epic has here same or higher price. Their default conversion is 20% more than Steams which is usually used by indies. Then they charge 5% payment fee on top of that. Nice.

But any pc owner can use the epic store so how is it an issue?

Expect those who live in regions where Epic doesn't sell. China alone which are over third of Steam population. That's a lot of people who can't legally get game anymore.

Do you've any proof of this in 2019?

Kinda busy atm, but I think it's somewhere on this site.

It applies to selling Steam keys only though.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One thing good is that I saw plenty of people here and on reddit take up the mentality of being a patient gamer because of the Metro exclusivity.

Waiting the one year isn't very hard. Especially when you consider there are plenty of games to play and in a year you'll get a bug free game, at a lower price, on Steam if you want. Getting over the Fear Of Missing Out makes the impact of this exclusivity deal on me, and everyone else who follows the way of the patient gamer, pretty much nil.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But any pc owner can use the epic store so how is it an issue?
Because I lose out on all the potential benefits of buying from more feature complete and GENUINELY COMPETITIVE storefronts because Epic moneyhatted a game I want

I lose out on tons of features that are integral to how I enjoy games
I lose out on the choice to buy keys from other retailers outside of the Steam store, and thus, lose out on any potential deals or bundles I might have preferred
I lose out on lots of shit that I'm not going to list out to you in intricate detail because this has been explained a thousand times in a thousand threads
"Choice"

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
I would point out to you the difference but it's been pointed out so many times in these threads that you've gotta just be ignoring that shit on purpose

No I get what you mean, its just the amount that the PC crowd gets up in arms about anything not being on Steam is very annoying.

Looking back at when EA was only putting their stuff on Origin, there was a big backlash. Same goes for the Epic Store. Epic is spending money on exclusives because they have to to gain market share. No matter how good the service may be, no one is gonna use it unless they have a reason to.

Obviously Fortnite is a huge reason, but that doesn't draw all different swaths of players. These moves by Epic, along with free games and good prices, will draw more users in the long term.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
It applies to selling Steam keys only though.
Yeah that might be it.

I'd be curious to see if Valve will alter their terms in response to Epic purchasing a time limited monopoly on certain titles.

Were I in their shoes, I'd be guaranteeing a visibility boost for games that launch on Steam first/concurrently, and burying games that do timed exclusives elsewhere. That way players are not punished, but publishers/developers are disincentivised from doing these kind of deals (and that would probably inflate the price Epic need to pay for exclusivity).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

If you have a PC, you can use any launcher, regardless of who has the exclusive. The only way you're locked out of it, is if you lock yourself out because "no steam no buy."

The EGL, like any other launcher, will evolve and become more feature complete, exactly like Steam evolved. Competition is *always* good for the customer, and Steam's monopoly over the years has made them complacent, which resulted in many drawbacks, including their sales becoming much less attractive as of late.

No, it is not. it is not just a launcher. It is a storefront that needs eyes on it. Do YOU open 5 different stores every day? Do you want to check a dozen storefronts when you look for cool games to buy and play? Even devs have bigger problems, suddenly they either have to release half a dozen different release versions or they will lock out a part of their customer base. And for 99% of devs, they won't get into the EGS, period.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017

Complacent my ass.
A lot of things happened in 2018 and are already planned going forward.
Proton alone was a megaton and that wasn't even all that happened. You have no clue about what you're talking about.
Sale prices are set by publishers, Steam has no influence over the discounts.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Sergey said there wont be many big sales because of the 12% cut.

That I actually hadn't heard, but maybe they're going the route of offering lower prices in general (ala what they're doing with Metro being priced at $49.99 on Epic store) in an attempt to just draw more players and keep a continual revenue stream, rather than focus purely on those big sale weeks like Steam has?

Theta

Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Trinidad and Tobago
Are you kidding? PC Gaming was genuinely not in a good state around the early to mid 2000s, and its turned around to what its been for the past few years now largely in part to the digital distribution avenues that Valve was instrumental in bringing about.
I remembered Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune and the first CoD being insanely popular on the PC.

Blah

Oct 26, 2017
People who support what Epic is doing use the same exact tactics that Conservatives do. They constantly ignore facts and force people to engage with them on repetitious basic arguments.

There's never any headway because people constantly have to rebuttal the same dumb arguments every single thread from people who are purposefully ignorant.