• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Sergey, saying the same shit that's on the summary with different words does not mean the summary is "incorrect".

machinaea

Game Producer
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Why not do it here? Why squawk about it on Twitter?
My guess would be that Twitter is a more effective way of broadcasting the message, especially if some people hear about the translation elsewhere than Resetera, coming here and replying here only wouldn't necessarily reach as many people, or at least the people he wants to reach surely (developers and publishers for example. Not to mention he has decent twitter following of active industry people.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
My guess would be that Twitter is a more effective way of broadcasting the message, especially if some people hear about the translation elsewhere than Resetera, coming here and replying here only wouldn't necessarily reach as many people, or at least the people he wants to reach surely (developers and publishers for example. Not to mention he has decent twitter following of active industry people.
It reeks of gaslighting when he claims Daxy is lying or mistaken and yet doesn't correct anything.

And if anything reworded what Daxy was saying but the message is still exactly the same.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Also none of his points really deal with the fact that yes they are focusing on using influencers to market games on their store

It reeks of 'they are lying but I'm going to just repeat what they said in a different way'
You could let him finish writing up on twitter first. The summary in the OP is almost 4000 words long, he has made like what 5 tweets by now?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
You could let him finish writing up on twitter first. The summary in the OP is thousands of words long, he has made like what 5 tweets by now?

maybe using twitter to argue corrections isn't the best place?

Or a Russian podcast to talk about unannounced policy about a store to impact people across the globe?

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Also none of his points really deal with the fact that yes they are focusing on using influencers to market games on their store

It reeks of 'they are lying but I'm going to just repeat what they said in a different way'

Yeah, I don't see anything that is in conflict either. So he just confirmed it was correct I guess... just adding "it's good, trust me". Maybe he has more to add, but probably should've started with actual factual errors.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I think we should at least be fair enough to Sergey to finish his twitter thread before trying to take it apart lol

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
That bit about Reddit being fair is a big yikes. Reddit is the biggest example of an echo chamber you can have.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
So now forums and long messages are bad. Reddit and Twitter with short messages and likes/upvotes are a better form of discussion. Eeeesh.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If only there was way to write things without character limit like it was 20 years ago...

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone tell Sergey to stop?? He already sold me...

...on Steam. He claims there were some misconceptions to this thread but then he's clarifying the same thing he said before and this podcast interview??

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting that he would say he wants to separate tech support from reviews when all the ideas he outlined were focused on anti-review bombing, without mentioning the problems 99% of store pages have with unhelpful one sentence reviews, tech support, etc. -- all things I mentioned in the OP already. I'm glad he's clarifying or whatever, but when I said I went over what he talked about in the podcast I did just that.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Support forums are good because you know you are at the right place with the same people who engage in the same platform and games while he wants people to be on multiple platforms - where's the guarantee that someone will actually acknowledge it and or not everyone goes on reddit to talk about a issue but if they have an account on your platform then they can because that's what they intend to do so.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit is awful for meaningful discussion because often anything that goes against the grain is shut down and made invisible. Totally pointless unless you're going to circlejerk. Too temperamental.
That's on how the platform is managed, it's something that can happen here too if those same people ran this forum.
He's talking about the system itself and taking into account current trend and context.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Valve is so stupid. Adding upvotes and likes would have solved the toxicity problem on Steam's forums immediately!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes Sergey, you probably do need to clear things up instead of hoping the entire western world suddenly understands Russian, of course people aren't going to 'actually listen' to it, they fucking can't ya goober.

You don't get to pull this sort of "read the source" bullshit when your audience can't actually access the information, you're setting up your entire thread with a bad faith attempt to make it seem like people are too lazy or ignorant to engage with the information they have no reasonable way to access.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If user reviews are a bad system due to review bombing, what does that make reddit's upvote system which has been shown time and time again that it can be easily manipulated?

Even the prospect of getting upvoted or worse, the promise of "gold" can drastically change posting patterns when users are more likely to write what a particular board wants to hear, or where the best worded meme and not the best argument rises to the top. Most upvoted/downvoted posts naturally snowball, you don't even need a review bombing campaign out of spite. Visibility at the top of the page is usually the only thing required for an opinion to become popular...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That's on how the platform is managed, it's something that can happen here too if those same people ran this forum.
He's talking about the system itself and taking into account current trend and context.

You unironically post this, on a heavily moderately forum and still claim that he was speaking true?

And no he was out right saying forums are ancient technology that we should abandon.

And embrace, what? One of the most investigated social media platforms for fake news, harassment and bot accounts.

Twitter.

OP
OP
.exe

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for him to actually correct anything wrong with daxy's OP.

645fbab26b0d8722fc6b72c9de9cf472.gif

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
He's crazy if he thinks people are going to search twitter or something just to find fixes for their game or something like that instead of the steam forums.
Absolutely. Like, I absolutely get the problems developers have with the Steam forums being a cesspool in dire need of moderation. But it's also one of the best places to go for if you have technical problems with a game, I can't count how many times I would have had to give up on playing a game had I not found a fix for an obscure problem on Steam's forums.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Sergey, you probably do need to clear things up instead of hoping the entire western world suddenly understands Russian, of course people aren't going to 'actually listen' to it, they fucking can't ya goober.
Having played huge amount of dota 2 on both europe west and US east server, I can at least acknowledge that they try very very hard to teach us Russian all over the world. Well at least russian insults.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Support forums are good because you know you are at the right place with the same people who engage in the same platform and games while he wants people to be on multiple platforms - where's the guarantee that someone will actually acknowledge it and or not everyone goes on reddit to talk about a issue but if they have an account on your platform then they can because that's what they intend to do so.

Exactly. And Sergey is dead wrong about Reddit and other platforms; that information is far too fast and loose to find there. Good luck trawling through the huge amount of posts on a topic to find the one thing that's relevant... or hell, even sorting through all of the meme stuff as people joke for upvotes. Steam's advantage is that everything related to the game, included people invested in that particular game, is there, and all posts are treated equally.

One thing that's another downside to Reddit is if you open a topic with a technical question chances are you will get downvoted to invisibility or no one will see your post in the first place. Searching on Twitter for technical stuff is an absolute nightmare too because there's no guarantee you'll be able to limit your specific query to your exact problem, as opposed to a forum where discussion is focused in a way to pull it off. An example of this would be Kalaiden's Nier Automata mod, can you imagine trying to pull this off without a forum and doing it on Twitter instead?

If user reviews are a bad system due to review bombing, what does that make reddit's upvote system which has been shown time and time again that it can be easily manipulated?

Even the prospect of getting upvoted or worse, the promise of "gold" can drastically change posting patterns when users are more likely to write what a particular board wants to hear, or where the best worded meme and not the best argument rises to the top. Most upvoted/downvoted posts naturally snowball, you don't even need a review bombing campaign out of spite. Visibility at the top of the page is usually the only thing required for an opinion to become popular...

100% correct.

Steam forums can be very toxic and dumb, but purging it entirely thus removing its very helpful side is dumb.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's still appreciated that he'd take the time to clarify and justify the points he brought up in the podcast. (Though I wouldn't call those "corrections".)

I don't think anyone's angry. People are just disappointed because they could surely do better. With the biggest issue being that there's little incentive to start using the store for a few years before they've developed any of the features they're discussing. Along with some troubling ones like how rather than enhancing how reviews worked and the importance they've had as a voice for consumers, for better or worse, they're effectively neutered and no longer protecting consumers.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Yeah, forums are too outdated, players should use reddit and twitter instead, that's why when users had issues with Subnautica on the Epic Store, they went to the...Steam forums...to ask for help...

We're also getting a ticket system. Good luck trying to get a response from the devs for older games if they are already working on newer ones. For older games, Steam forums are a blessing.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You unironically post this, on a heavily moderately forum and still claim that he was speaking true?

And no he was out right saying forums are ancient technology that we should abandon.

And embrace, what? One of the most investigated social media platforms for fake news, harassment and bot accounts.

Twitter.
There really isn't any irony here like you are trying to point out. I was able to say that because I am not "going against the grain" , I am not arguing against anyone, or being in a heated discussion. My post is just...there and I would have been able to say that in Reddit as well the same place that the poster I was replying to claimed to "shut down and made invisible anything that goes against the grain"

And he is not saying we should abandon, he's saying current trends matter. This is something I've already said once and I am having to repeat it because you didn't follow up on my post cause maybe you didn't see it. Do you see how a discussion can be affected because of that? Don't forget that steam forum is a different kind of forum that serves a very different purpose than Resetera, and for that specific purpose traditional forums are outdated is what he's saying.

Additionally twitter itself in comparison to reddit has character limits whereas reddit doesn't, yet he implies twitter and reddit both being better for some things than traditional forums give the current climate and context and he absolutely is right because if that wasn't true, then that'd mean traditional forums are better than both in every way...which is just not true !

Last edited:

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to search from Twitter? Nice try. Takes long time to find Tweet even if you know exactly when it was posted, topic of it and that it had an image, which you had saved and needed to source it.

Reddit? I'm not having your issue, have downvote. Even if you get reply, no one will find it.

Yahoo Answer? Maybe that works. Maybe not.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to search from Twitter? Nice try. Takes long time to find Tweet even if you know exactly when it was posted, topic of it and that it had an image, which you had saved and needed to source it.

Reddit? I'm not having your issue, have downvote. Even if you get reply, no one will find it.

Yahoo Answer? Maybe that works. Maybe not.

Yahoo Answer has has the same problem as Twitter, where information is not collated by game title. So there would be a huge swarm of unrelated information you would have to trawl through and hopefully arrive at your conclusion.