• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The success of the PS4 isn't correlated with a healthy industry.

Gen 7 was arguably the healthiest videogame industry, with all 3 manufacturers neck and neck in sales. The decline in Japanese games had more to do with the surge in FPS and western studios going full in.

Also you're clearly trying to bait with that "we still like Nintendo". Surprised posts like these aren't flagged for console warring.

And why do you think there was a surge in FPS?

Oct 26, 2017
Online gaming blew up? Western developers in general were gaining a stronger following and audience as they were putting the games peoples eyes were drawn to and wanted, compared to Japanese developers? FPSs received a lot of marketing and focus, especially with CoD and Halo blowing up huge? I hope you're not going to try and argue that that was due to the 360 doing well against the PS3

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Reading comprehension fail? I'm arguing against Phantom Thiefs ridiculous claim that "Any environment where there is only one market leader is by definition unhealthy" not for a video game industry monopoly.
Nope. It was clear what they were talking about was in the context of the video game industry. If you aren't arguing for a monopoly, then it's clear you failed to understand what they meant. There really isn't a need for you to keep arguing what you think Phantom Thief said. It's just dragging down the discussion.

JosephD

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Because the market wanted it. Just like in the 90's RPGs were the shit.

Japanese developers werent ready for the transition to HD. PS3 could have won and we still would have been inundated with FPS games because that's what the market wanted. Sony losing had very little to do with the decline in JP games.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this correctly? Fanboys saying a Sony monopoly is a good thing?

For who? If anything, as seen by Sony's lazy PlayStation Classic effort, I'd rather not have them be the market leader overall. They get pretty sloppy and lazy from time to time.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
"Sony is market leader and the console market is still relatively healthy"
  • The console market was relatively healthy in Gens 3, 4, and 7 as well (when Sony was not market leader) as well as Gens 5 and 6 (when Sony was). I don't see what their being a leader has to do with anything
  • This generation will be the first time we will see a contraction in cumulative units sold generation on generation. It's "relatively healthy", but it's definitely contracted
Not bothering with the rest of your post since it is clear to me you're not arguing in the best faith, but the point I felt needed addressing, I addressed.
To quote Obama, "we have less horses and bayonets". Contraction is expected due to the introduction of new technologies. Gens 3, 4, and 7 didn't have the huge proliferation of mobile computing devices that we have today so it's false equivalency. The market can be healthy and still see a contraction. You keep trying to take this to different places and I'll keep calling you out. All you had to do was simply admit that your claim that "Any environment where there is only one market leader is by definition unhealthy" was off. I even asked you to restructure that argument and all you needed to say was in my opinion, "......." and I was ready to move on. If you try to pass off an opinion as fact, I'll always call it out especially when it is used as the basis for your argument.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one cares about a hallow statement you made when your behavior in this thread says everything. And you completely deflected my points with calling me a console warrior when you have been doing it this whole thread needlessly going out of your way to defend Nintendo above all else lol. Seeing that is as clear as your struggle to hold your own in this topic with the people you are arguing againt [sic].

And GameFAQs? What year is this?
oh wow. you should really consider gamefaqs anyway, regardless of the year we're in. they still have a big community.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
a, it's because the others aren't even trying (other than sony with psp for a while)
b, the handheld market is not the entire video game industry

How big is Nintendos marketshare on said handheld market? If I want a handheld I won't buy a home console or a pc.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm happy with the current competition and how all companies are ironing out their own niche. Heck, even Microsoft that I've never had any interest for is seen in high esteem by me now due to all their pro consumer practises and taking exciting steps like focusing on sub service for games and streaming. Nintendo is going all in on the hybrid concept I've always dreamed of, while Sony does their exclusives thing (which I don't care about personally but they obviously fill a big niche for a big demographic). Will be fun to see how things develop from here.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To quote Obama, "we have less horses and bayonets". Contraction is expected due to the introduction of new technologies. Gens 3, 4, and 7 didn't have the huge proliferation of mobile computing devices that we have today so it's false equivalency. The market can be healthy and still see a contraction. You keep trying to take this to different places and I'll keep calling you out. All you had to do was simply admit that your claim that "Any environment where there is only one market leader is by definition unhealthy" was off. I even asked you to restructure that argument and all you needed to say was in my opinion, "......." and I was ready to move on. If you try to pass off an opinion as fact, I'll always call it out especially when it is used as the basis for your argument.
Again, it seems like being pedantic is your thing, so I'm going to leave you to it.

Oct 26, 2017
How big is Nintendos marketshare on said handheld market? If I want a handheld I won't buy a home console or a pc.
Well there are phones and, in this day and age, they're actually not a bad place to go for quality games on the go. There are even some traditionally handheld games or console games on them as well. It's not a coincidence that handhelds didn't do as well with the 3DS and the Vita compared to the PSP and the DS

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't see how that has any relevance to this thread. are there any other major players in the market and do you see people saying it's best that nintendo wins? it's not nintendo's fault the other two aren't interested in that market.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Online gaming blew up? Western developers in general were gaining a stronger following and audience as they were putting the games peoples eyes were drawn to and wanted, compared to Japanese developers? FPSs received a lot of marketing and focus, especially with CoD and Halo blowing up huge? I hope you're not going to try and argue that that was due to the 360 doing well against the PS3

The 360, especially with Gears of War and Halo 3, had a huge influence in the types of games that were made. Many developers saw it as the platform where the bulk of their revenue would come from and wanted to appeal to the audience.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Why are people atributing bad japanese games last gen to Sony being weak instead of traditional japanese development houses inability to manage the HD generation's constantly balooning budgets?

What a weird thread.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Lol But what does that have to do with the PS3 not "winning"? The PS3 still sold well in the end. Japanese developers still had a market on the PS3, as well as the PSP, DS, and even the likes of the Wii and the DS. Not to mention, Japanese developers thrived well before the PlayStation and still did well on handhelds last gen. Japanese developers struggled on consoles last gen because their games either weren't very good or particularly appealing. It had nothing to do with Sony "losing"

Sure it "sold well" in consoles sold, but thats not all about platform health. It also had much lower software sales than 360, since most people just used their PS3 for exclusives, made way less revenue than the 360, and was all around a less profitable system. Sony lost a substantial amount of money on the console.

In my opinion the worst generation of gaming that I've personally experienced is the one that Sony also did poorly in.

mrfusticle

Oct 30, 2017
Completely disagree that PlayStation's demographic is especially broad.. take out the shooters, dudebro single players and sports titles and what's left?

Older, younger and female player are completely underserved by PS4 imo

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Implying sony is anywhere close to as bad as Nintendo was during the NES/SNES era isnt anywhere close to being true.

Nintendo's cart manufacturing policies were very profitable for them, but potentially financially ruinous for third parties.

Blatant retailer pressure to not carry competing games and systems was ABSOLUTELY a thing then. Its unheard of now.

And if theres an example of a censorship hack job as bad as the SNES version of Mortal Kombat SNES I'd love to see it. The creators of Maniac Mansion also did a VERY insightful interview about the kind of hoops they had to jump through to get that game approved and that game was mild as hell.

Sony doesnt do this, and never has.
1980s Nintendo was a different beast. Since Sony entered the market in 1994 though, Sony has consistently been worse than Nintendo (or Microsoft) when it comes to censorship and content approval. Nintendo's been entirely hands off in this area for packaged 3rd party games since industry bodies (ESRB, CERO, PEGI, etc) formed to handle that aspect directly. Sony today even though is still meddling inconsistently here.

Oct 26, 2017
The 360, especially with Gears of War and Halo 3, had a huge influence in the types of games that were made. Many developers saw it as the platform where the bulk of their revenue would come from and wanted to appeal to the audience.
But those games would've blown up even if the PS3 outsold the 360 2 to 1, like the PS4 is compared to the XB1. Not everyone played Halo and Gears of War, not even on the 360, the PS3 audience was still big, the 360 audience wasn't only into shooters and sports games, and there was still a large variety of games that generation, with indie games finally beginning to gain prominence towards the end. Keep in mind that PlayStation gamers liked those games too and still do to this day. Japanese developers struggled because they weren't making the games people wanted to play on consoles for a whole bunch of reasons

Sure it "sold well" in consoles sold, but thats not all about platform health. It also had much lower software sales than 360, since most people just used their PS3 for exclusives, made way less revenue than the 360, and was all around a less profitable system. Sony lost a substantial amount of money on the console.

In my opinion the worst generation of gaming that I've personally experienced is the one that Sony also did poorly in.
Sure but that's more of a coincidence than anything else. Japanese developers would've struggled on consoles last gen regardless of the PS3 doing well. My point was more so that the audience on the PS3 was still active, even if it was a fair amount less active than the one on the 360, and PlayStation gamers, even now on the PS4, still go for and support Western games

Last edited:

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Because the market wanted it. Just like in the 90's RPGs were the shit.

Japanese developers werent ready for the transition to HD. PS3 could have won and we still would have been inundated with FPS games because that's what the market wanted. Sony losing had very little to do with the decline in JP games.
I'd argue that the Xbox doing so well and the market being interested in FPS's are related. As does sony losing and the decline of jp games.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
Nope. It was clear what they were talking about was in the context of the video game industry. If you aren't arguing for a monopoly, then it's clear you failed to understand what they meant.
So reading comprehension fail then.... The very first mention of the word monopoly came from me. The statement initial statement I responded to did not quote another poster as a response but was a response to the OP. The OP asked the question, was Jack Tretton right when he said "the environment where playstation wins is best for the industry". Playstation winning a generation doesn't necessarily imply a monopoly and no one was discussing the concept of a monopoly prior to me mentioning it.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Man I miss Jack Tretton.

In a way I agree with him, since of the 3 platform holders imo Playstation has the broadest global public appeal, and if Playstation were to enter a big trough the whole market would follow into it.

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i don't see how that has any relevance to this thread. are there any other major players in the market and do you see people saying it's best that nintendo wins? it's not nintendo's fault the other two aren't interested in that market.

I always see ppl pointing out that Sony and Ms need each other for competition, but that seemingly isn't the case for handheld gaming.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to point out that many people in this thread agreeing with Jack Trenton here aren't saying they want a monopoly.

No one in this thread has advocated for that.

They do however feel that the market is at its best when Sony is the market leader. Feel free to disagree with that statement, but no one is asking for a monopoly. No one.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
But those games would've blown up even if the PS3 outsold the 360 2 to 1, like the PS4 is compared to the XB1. Not everyone played Halo and Gears of War, not even on the 360, the PS3 audience was still big, and there was still a variety of games that generation. Keep in mind that PlayStation gamers liked those games too

The FPS genre would have made it, no one is saying otherwise. But the excessive amount of forgettable, brown gray, white male soldier FPS/TPS games last gen was ridiculous. And those games performed solidly on the 360 as they were catering to the audience. I do recall sales of the PS3 versions of some games being remarkably lower but they still turned profit thanks to the success they found on Xbox.

This gen is far more balanced compared to last gen where the studio output of those kinds of games in that style was making me starting to lose interest in gaming.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I prefer when Sony is in the lead because I think they have the widest range of games which is good for the industry, and my preference as well. But it's best when everyone is doing well. Which kinda seems like the case now. Sony is leading but the industry as a whole is very healthy.

JosephD

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Sony has dominated 3 out of 4 gens. Seems to be great for the industry when it happens. When Sony didn't dominate Japanese devs suffered greatly. Now they are coming back.
Seriously where did this narrative that ps3 struggling meant japanese devs struggled? They just weren't releasing good games, they didn't transition to HD fast enough, or their budgets were bloated af.

Gen 7 was the big move towards online gaming, which Japanese devs weren't interested in at the time. That is why CoD blew tf up as did other FPS games

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I mean he isn't wrong. Xbox has traditionally been trapped in the Anglosphere and Nintendo traditionally skews to a younger demographic. Without a strong PlayStation a gigantic group of demographics is neglected.

Without Playstation, their would be higher consumer demand for the missing content on those platforms, and developers would fill that void.

I think it really doesn't matter all that much.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
The extra content is coming to the PS4 version as well, fyi.

Oh, so it's true. I heard there was gonna be announcement on the 29th, and from what I read so far it seems like a paid expansion DLC with regards to the content coming to PS4. It'd be nice if they did a physical reprint cuz I ran the OT here, many people were stuck waiting for physical copies but no one ever mentioned whether they eventually got them. The game had like a 90%+ physical sell through... Not sure they ever reprinted.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
But those games would've blown up even if the PS3 outsold the 360 2 to 1, like the PS4 is compared to the XB1. Not everyone played Halo and Gears of War, not even on the 360, the PS3 audience was still big, the 360 audience wasn't only into shooters and sports games, and there was still a large variety of games that generation, with indie games finally beginning to gain prominence towards the end. Keep in mind that PlayStation gamers liked those games too and still do to this day. Japanese developers struggled because they weren't making the games people wanted to play on consoles for a whole bunch of reasons

Sure but that's more of a coincidence than anything else. Japanese developers would've struggled on consoles last gen regardless of the PS3 doing well. My point was more so that the audience on the PS3 was still active, even if it was a fair amount less active than the one on the 360, and PlayStation gamers, even now on the PS4, still go for and support Western games
Right, but I feel that when PlayStation is the market leader, Western and Japanese games do well. When Microsoft was the market leader, only western ones did. And I personally feel there is a correlation there.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think at the time he was probably right, because Sony struck the best balance of developer inclusiveness and being consumer friendly. Nintendo still are the most consumer focused of the three, but they are not as good at working with other developers, whilst Microsoft has historically made a few major anti consumer moves. Sony was and is somewhere in the middle.

I actually think now Microsoft has cleaned up its act enough to say that the industry would be better off with them in the lead. But then I'd still have that worry that they'd squander that opportunity by doing something bad for the industry. That might be unfair though.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Only in the sense that Nintendo and Microsoft are much better innovators, so it forces them to do that.

But I prefer last gen sales dynamics to this one.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
Thing is, I really feel like Xbox is in the least favorable position here - Sony has been doing better despite making huge mistakes with the PS3 launch and Nintendo has its own secluded base of 20-30 million fans while sometimes striking gold with the mainstream with projects like the Wii/DS/Switch. Xbox doesn't seem to have that luxury, and if it fails completely someday, Sony will have a stranglehold on the home console market and that can't be good.

So I think it's best when the competition is strong and one player doesn't outright crush the others.
Why can it not be good though? We had the Sony stranglehold you described for 2 generations straight and gaming flourished during those times. There was never an indication that Sony was trying to actively screw over their customers unlike Microsoft during the XBO reveal. MS tried during a time of game passes, a struggling games industry, to destroy the used games market and lock customers into whatever they mandate on their platform. This was in a generation of selling slightly less consoles than Sony, so who knows what they would've done if they were actually "winning". They don't seem to care too much about the health of the overall industry or regions when given a position of power.
What you can say about Sony is they are often too slow on their own with changes but overall they don't squeeze out money out of customers for the sake of making money. Maybe it's the Japanese mentality within the company or the global/worldwide presence but I personally trust them more than any other company.

Even Nintendo had more draconian methods when dealing with 3rd parties during the NES/SNES era. The only remotely similar thing I know of Sony is demanding the IP ownership when developing with/for them, since they couldn't keep their PS1 mascots like Crash and Spyro.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • PS Vita Memory Cards are a proprietary format, tell me more about how it is patently false
  • Of course the censorship isn't as bad, it's an entirely different time we live in now. Nintendo was also the first and only company to completely drop any regulation for third party content once ESRB was established, Sony and Microsoft still haven't caught up with them.
No one else here has been talking about the handheld market. It is separate and distinct from the home console market.

And that's a very easy thing to say about Nintendo when their third party support has been abysmal for decades. And they still need additional regulation as we've seen by the proliferation of the very types of games Sony is smacking down.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I guess he was right. The industry as a whole is doing really well, and Sony is right out in front.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking the best outcome for this medium requires buying a proprietary box en masse and filling the coffers of a multinational corporation whose only mission is profiteering. Why does gaming produce so many shills? Even on this forum? Could you imagine someone saying wrt to the music industry, "support Columbia Records to help artists!" Embarrassing.

The best environment for gaming is one where independent creators are supported socially, culturally and financially and gatekeepers are sidelined and powerless.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Obvious market domination by anyone is bad for everyone else, consumers included.

But he was right to an extent, I prefer a generation where Sony has the upper hand, such as the current one.

Oct 26, 2017
The FPS genre would have made it, no one is saying otherwise. But the excessive amount of forgettable, brown gray, white male soldier FPS/TPS games last gen was ridiculous. And those games performed solidly on the 360 as they were catering to the audience. I do recall sales of the PS3 versions of some games being remarkably lower but they still turned profit thanks to the success they found on Xbox.

This gen is far more balanced compared to last gen where the studio output of those kinds of games in that style was making me starting to lose interest in gaming.
Sales of games across the board were lower on the PS3 compared to the 360, with few exceptions outside of Japanese games. It's not as if 360 gamers were all in on them and PS3 gamers weren't. They were very similar audiences and, even now, they're not that different

Right but that's more to do with Japanese developers finally finding their footing after a rocky transition from the last generation. They struggled pumping out notable titles just in general last gen. Like would their games have been better if the PS3 won?

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
So reading comprehension fail then.... The very first mention of the word monopoly came from me. The statement initial statement I responded to did not quote another poster as a response but was a response to the OP. The OP asked the question, was Jack Tretton right when he said "the environment where playstation wins is best for the industry". Playstation winning a generation doesn't necessarily imply a monopoly and no one was discussing the concept of a monopoly.
I think you just failed in general here. You brought up a monopoly and said how it was good in direct response to Phantom Thief saying having one industry leader would be bad. There was no reason to do this unless you either thought a monopoly would work for video games or were just trying to be pedantic.

Geez why am I bothering? You aren't arguing in good faith, you just trying to win this argument by ignoring what they meant.

JosephD

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
I personally think xbox will be in the lead next gen, with PS second and Nintendo doing their own thing (but still being very successful).

If that does happen, we will see how the industry fares

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, but I feel that when PlayStation is the market leader, Western and Japanese games do well. When Microsoft was the market leader, only western ones did. And I personally feel there is a correlation there.
From 1 data point in which online gaming was taking off which launched more fps style games with it taking a whole other gen to reestablish the more single player prone Japanese games?