• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just got done re-watching Whiplash and my god, the last 10 minutes of this movie is so incredibly well done and carthartic

Feast your eyes on this masterpiece

Really just magnificent

Show me some of your contenders for top 10 movie endings!!

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, it really lives up to the word "climax." It's a wonderful film, but that scene is especially spectacular.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree... and that Chazelle topped it with La La Land's ending is mindblowing.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Memories of Murder.
I was completely spoiled on the actual shot, the context, everything. Still, the final shot gave me chills all over. Such a bold and evocative way to end a movie.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
All time. The look Fletcher gives Miles at the end, you know he is grinning deep inside and is really proud of him. The movie had a "rhythm", and it's perfectly harmonic.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the comparisons to a rooftop superhero ending. This was simply exquisite. it doesn't get better than this (LLL is slightly under).

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
My jaw was dropped the entire time. It's a fantastic ending because it's made all the better when you watch the whole film and see the journey to that point.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I saw Chazelle give an interview/q and a in person and he said with Whiplash he realized a lot of it wasn't 1:1 accurate to how jazz band is but he had a band teacher in HS who was similarly demanding so for the movie they studied horror movies and racing scenes and tried to recreate the tension/feeling of those during Whiplash

Great fucking movie

(Edit: also said how they built an entire set house instead of a mini for First Man to burn it down to make it look authentic and then ended up scrapping that scene entirely during editing because it messed with the pacing of the film lmao)

I honestly cannot understand how anyone could dislike it or just think it's ok but to each their own

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
one of my favourite films of the past decade, easily. everything about it is so fucking gooooood

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I concur OP, one of the best endings I've seen and am having a hard time remembering films that can top it.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
they studied horror movies and racing scenes and tried to recreate the tension/feeling of those during Whiplash

amazing. Such an incredible young director. He's 3 for 3 IMO. La La Land, despite being systemically misunderstood, is incredible and with First Man I think he took things to a new level.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Went to see Whiplash at the cinema with zero expectations and discovered what is probably my favourite film of the last 10 years. I really need to see La La Land.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I thought Whiplash was just ok honestly. Like a sort of machismo celebration try hard thing. Like it's cool to call someone a faggot and retard if it makes them perform in the end. Meh.

I like La La Land more. Not really masterful either, but it has a splendor and nostalgia it embraces.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably one of my absolute favorite movie of the decade, it's more or less perfect for me. I love how everything goes crescendo. And as you said, the ending is incredible.

Haven't see La La Land and First Man but if they're half as good, I really should rectify this error.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I thought Whiplash was just ok honestly. Like a sort of machismo celebration try hard thing. Like it's cool to call someone a faggot and retard if it makes them perform in the end. Meh.

I like La La Land more. Not really masterful either, but it has a splendor and nostalgia it embraces.
It's.... not a glorification of J.K. Simmons' character at all

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017

There are some different takeaways and interpretations of the movie, but I really think that point of the movie is not that fletcher is cool and smart and people should emulate him

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me, nothing has topped ending of Black Swan once Nina arrives at the theater for the final performance.

Edit: Black Swan and Whiplash are pretty similar, if you think about it.

Last edited:

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
There are some different takeaways and interpretations of the movie, but I really think that point of the movie is not that fletcher is cool and smart and people should emulate him
But he is right in the end. The entire point of Fletcher's abuse is that it helps weed out bad talent and cultivates great talent like Charlie Parker. The fact that Andrew performs so well even while facing humiliation is just reinforcing that Fletcher is correct. It's a bad movie that basically says, "Abuse is good if it helps you become who you are today".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It's not lol. Even Tellers' character is supposed to be a dick with his whole speech to his girlfriend and stuff.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
But he is right in the end. The entire point of Fletcher's abuse is that it helps weed out bad talent and cultivates great talent like Charlie Parker. The fact that Andrew performs so well even while facing humiliation is just reinforcing that Fletcher is correct. It's a bad movie that basically says, "Abuse is good if it helps you become who you are today".
But the abuse wasn't worth it... like yeah he had a great solo at the end but the dude went through so much shit to get there and cut off his social connections, got seriously injured etc.

Hint: there's a reason Chazelle didn't continue a career in music and switched to film

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
But the abuse wasn't worth it... like yeah he had a great solo at the end but the dude went through so much shit to get there and cut off his social connections, got seriously injured etc.
Which is why the movie is dumb. The movie doesn't show Andrew as failing either because he got what he really wanted, and all it took was an abusive bigot to show him the way.

It's a dumb movie with an overly macho attitude towards success.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Which is why the movie is dumb. The movie doesn't show Andrew as failing either because he got what he really wanted, and all it took was an abusive bigot to show him the way.

Andrew is a flawed character! The fact that all he wanted was his abusive teacher's approval when he already had talent and a good life is not something that's supposed to be celebrated!

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017

But the question is, what is the cost of that kind of talent in some cases and is it worth it? I think that's a very surface-level reading.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Did you miss the massive scene after Andrew had just stumbled away from a car crash to perform, and Fletcher gets the news one of his previous students had just killed himself? The whole film is a descent into obsession, it's absolutely not supposed to be aspirational or inspiring at all. It's a cautionary tale.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about the GOAT film ending?

I agree... and that Chazelle topped it with La La Land's ending is mindblowing.
What does it say about LLL that I've seen it twice and literally can't remember what happens at the end. I'm getting old, I guess.

Maybe stick to The Last Jedi

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Suspiria (2018) has my favorite ending in recent memory. It's batshit, bloody & beautiful, and reframes the entire film up to that point, making subsequent viewings even richer than the first.

Harshak

Oct 30, 2017
I get chills just watching the ending without sound... So yeah, fantastic movie and ending.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I love whiplash so much, it is a fantastic movie.

How about the GOAT film ending?

What does it say about LLL that I've seen it twice and literally can't remember what happens at the end. I'm getting old, I guess.

Maybe stick to The Last Jedi

Are... Are you trying to make this thread celebrating a great movie into another era toxic shitfest by naming this movie literally out of nowhere? Wtf?

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
I like Adam Neely's interpretation of what this movie actually is.
The movie is a sports film. The mentality that abuse and pain and suffering makes you better is a childish power fantasy. (My words, not his)
What actually makes you better is dedication, perseverance, and embracing the thing you want to get better at as a part of your life in a healthy way because you actually want to do it, not letting it shift to doing it to gain someone's respect.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Agreed, I was quite literally on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it.
Amazing film and an amazing finale.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
It also seems like total bullshit if you look at it as a musician. The protagonist essentially tells the band to fuck off and proceeds to masturbate on stage.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
This movie genuinely upset me when I saw it. Both the main dude and JK Simmon's characters were such unbearable, egotistical fucks. The main dude dumping his girlfriend and shitting on his whole family in the pursuit of what he considers "real artistry."

It's like the opposite message of Birdman, one of my favorite movies ever, which was "stop pursuing the meaningless approval of strangers and just focus on the shit that actually matters like fulfilling relationships."