• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For starters, my first time through this game on launch week, I flubbed it. I lessened the ending for myself quite a bit, which I'll go through. So maybe I'm in a unique situation here. However there are a few other factors that helped on my recent replay.

So starting from the endgame. I remembered going into the Snake's mouth. But after that didn't really remember much about it. Was it a big set piece? Were there combat sequences? The fact that I didn't remember made me think it wasn't that good. I was immediately proven wrong. Here is the first time I'll blame factors that aren't me. I could actually hear the silence and ominous noises while in the snake. My PS4 was not prepping for lift-off. Instead my PS5 was super quiet. And I could soak in the quiet eerie atmosphere. The pulse headset was great too. Thankfully there was no stupid reason given to have some enemies. And it is just a straightforward and quick search for the eye. Then of course we get the 'setpiece' with the snake getting fucked up while you are inside it. Fun stuff.

Then the whole Baldur fight. This is where I massively messed up the first time. Despite the game screaming to you that this is the end. And it makes perfect sense for the final boss to be this guy who has been the villain the entire game. I was just being dumb about it. I must have been thinking "oh we haven't seen Odin, Thor, etc. yet. There must be more" I take full blame.
This time around knowing it was the end I could appreciate it properly. That is a god damn epic fight. Going against Baldur again with all the upgrades and new skills was just a blast especially alongside Boy. And Baldur just loving being freed from his curse. And feeling the ice and fire from your weapons was just awesome. Freya controlling the giant was just icing on the cake.

Then Kratos gives his speech to Atreus which was very well done. And it's off to Jotunheim. My massive F up again. My first time around, again, just not seeing what was right in front of me. I thought Jotunheim would be this whole new section of the game. I stopped right there, and let myself come back later for the 'finale'. Somehow not realizing that I had just played it.

This time around I did the obvious thing and actually went and finished the game right after. I really love every part of the Jotunheim section. Mimir being a bro, Kratos taking off his bandages, Finding the prophecy, and of course scattering the ashes. I appreciated the arc of Kratos and Atreus way more this time. And just loved their relationship at the end. Kratos telling Atreus about his namesake as the credits rolled was the perfect way to end it.

So yea, I am really glad I came back to this at 4K and 60 FPS. I knew it was a magnificent game. But the ending always left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Even though it was caused by me. Second time around I just took it all in. And I really consider the ending to be maybe the best part of the whole game now. Just so good. And gets you so ready for that sequel.

So yea, I doubt it was very common to completely misunderstand what was happening like I did the first playthrough. So hopefully you were all properly appreciative the first time around. But i'd still recommend going back to the game in 4K 60 FPS if you had any urge at all to do so. And sometimes it really is easier to appreciate something the second time through when you already know the major story beats. For me it cemented itself as my GOTG. At least until the PS5 update for TLOUII compete with Factions mode arrives. Just a masterpiece of a game from beginning to end.

AnimaRize

Banned
Nov 7, 2020
Edit:whoops misread the op thought it was talking about the game as a whole nevermind

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Yup you pretty much got it.

Everything about that ending spoke to me. It's a catharsis for the player, Kratos and I guess the overall franchise. Even hinting where the series would go that wasn't ham fisted, the slow drip of information.

The fact Kratos named his son after a common man and not another god just adds layers to identity that the story is trying to tell.

The story helped inspired me to write again. It means a lot to me and hopefully others.

Frank

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question. While exploring inside the mountain, Kratos asks how giants could fit in such small places. Atreus laughs and says they're just called giants. Yet when you get to the end, they're all huge giants laying across mountains. What's up with that?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a question. While exploring inside the mountain, Kratos asks how giants could fit in such small places. Atreus laughs and says they're just called giants. Yet when you get to the end, they're all huge giants laying across mountains. What's up with that?

Afaik giants in lore vary in size. Some were huge and some were human size.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
how would you see dead small giants from afar? Remember that Kratos and Atreus were only in a very small area of Jotunheim without dead giants in it, and saw those dead giants from the peak.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh, you just reminded me of how disappointing the boss-element is of the game. For a series with such amazing bosses GoW2018 really sucked man.

Oct 27, 2017
Like others said, Giants is more of a species than a size descriptor, there are actual gigantic Giants like Jormungandr, and there are human sized Giants like Faye. In the actual mythology, some Giants can change size at will and even into animals.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I've said it before and I'll say it again here: the ending of this game made me feel like I'd just finished a very long prologue to the story I really wanted to see.

OP
OP
Tophat Jones

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sigh, you just reminded me of how disappointing the boss-element is of the game. For a series with such amazing bosses GoW2018 really sucked man.
Overall I do hope they flesh it out more in a sequel. The single most disappointing moment in the game is probably going to Hel to kill some crazy big bad and save Atreus. Annnnnd it's another Troll enemy. They definitely overused that.

I'll let it slide for this one. But the bar is much higher for the sequel.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
I don't think you were the only one who had that reaction, OP. I think a lot of people assumed the plot would be "the old games, but Norse", and naturally assumed you would fight (or at least see) Thor and Odin. However, it made perfect sense in the context of the game to never see either (except for the stinger at the end), and for the ending to be as it was. I personally loved it. I'm glad you were able to love it as well on your second try!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Overall I do hope they flesh it out more in a sequel. The single most disappointing moment in the game is probably going to Hel to kill some crazy big bad and save Atreus. Annnnnd it's another Troll enemy. They definitely overused that.

I'll let it slide for this one. But the bar is much higher for the sequel.
on that aspect, I believe official game lore confirmed that Kratos and Atreus killed the last remaining Troll in this game.

Although I wouldnt put it past Santa Monica to have a troll at the start of the game and then have Thor swoop in and kill it in one blow saying something like "no more trolls" similar to how Uncharted TLL did "no more crates" lol.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
the ending is actually the main reason i dont rate this game as highly as most. I liked the character aspect of it, but outside of that the last 2 hours of the game feel like nothing but teasing for the sequel, like a season finale of a tv show doing a big cliffhanger ending.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Did you also go back to their cabin after finishing the game, OP?

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Yeah, despite all the clues I was surprised at the twist in the end. Was a perfect ending that made me want the next game immediately. I can't wait to see how the story evolves.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you were the only one who had that reaction, OP. I think a lot of people assumed the plot would be "the old games, but Norse", and naturally assumed you would fight (or at least see) Thor and Odin. However, it made perfect sense in the context of the game to never see either (except for the stinger at the end), and for the ending to be as it was. I personally loved it. I'm glad you were able to love it as well on your second try!

Funny thing is that this kind of goes to show how poorly people remember the original games. There were 3 or 4 boss battles in the first GOW and only 1 was actually against a God. You don't even directly meet many of the actual Greek Gods if I remember correctly. The God killing boss fests only really started around the 2nd game and even then it didn't become the focus till the third game when the Titans were attacking Olympus.

I'd even go so far to say the current God of War is incredibly reminiscent of the original in how it sets things up even if there are obviously stark differences as well.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

While I agree the main bosses were rather underwhelming I thought the Valkyries more than make up for it. Sigrun is one of my favorite fights of all time.

But yeah hopefully the next one will have great main game boss fights, I really hope they nail the Thor fight. His sons were really weak.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Upon replaying it a second time with the ps5 patch I realized that when Baldur first meets Kratos and tells him he thought he'd be bigger, and that his kind was so enlightened, so much better than them, he's actually thinking Kratos is a Jotun, and not of the Greek pantheon of gods.

I felt dumb as hell after that.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
the ending is actually the main reason i dont rate this game as highly as most. I liked the character aspect of it, but outside of that the last 2 hours of the game feel like nothing but teasing for the sequel, like a season finale of a tv show doing a big cliffhanger ending.
It felt like a 2-cour anime. They started the game with the premise of spreading the mothers ashes, while being hunted by Baldur. The game ends with you finding out who Baldur is in relation to you and your friends, finding out who your mother and Atreus really are, Atreus finding out who Kratos is, and spreading the ashes.

Then a last second stinger to say "a new threat next time!" But really it resolved everything it set up so I don't get the feeling of being "teased" by anything.

I was also new to the franchise so had no expectations (seriously, I knew the next one had to do with Norse stuff because of the title, but had literally no idea this game was Norse inspired until starting it last week).

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Upon replaying it a second time with the ps5 patch I realized that when Baldur first meets Kratos and tells him he thought he'd be bigger, and that his kind was so enlightened, so much better than them, he's actually thinking Kratos is a Jotun, and not of the Greek pantheon of gods.

Same lol

Though tbf Kratos himself thought Baldur knew he was a god right after fighting him for the first time.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Hey OP
giphy.gif

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Funny thing is that this kind of goes to show how poorly people remember the original games. There were 3 or 4 boss battles in the first GOW and only 1 was actually against a God. You don't even directly meet many of the actual Greek Gods if I remember correctly. The God killing boss fests only really started around the 2nd game and even then it didn't become the focus till the third game when the Titans were attacking Olympus.

I'd even go so far to say the current God of War is incredibly reminiscent of the original in how it sets things up even if there are obviously stark differences as well.
Isn't the final boss in the original game Ares lol

WalshyB

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Right, can someone please enlighten me on why the vision of kratos killing zeus in Hel, had him with the blades of Chaos on and not Exile?

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I didnt like it that much. I was expecting like 5 or 10 more hours after beating the Stranger. The ending and story felt unepic, lacking some glorious godly moments. I was expecting more than Kratos struggling with some "random" god for 30 hours. Facing thor odin and the rest of norse pantheon seems silly when I think how hard it was for Kratos to beat Baldur.

The ending felt like it needed a few more hours to really chew into the story and norse mythology

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Right before the tapestry/prophecy scene I got a call that I had to take and forgot to pause the game. When looking at a youtuber's playthrough I thought why didn't I see this. Then I remembered. Still sad that I didn't get to see it 'live' for the 1st time.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I loved the ending. Then again I love teases for what's to come.

Atreus being Loki was a huge plot twist I didn't see coming. I also wonder what was behind the hidden piece of tapestry covering the prophecy.

I forget, did they ever explain who attacked the world serpent while you were inside it? Was it Baldur?

I think that we will probably be playing as an older Atreus by the third game in this reboot series.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Atreus being Loki was a huge plot twist I didn't see coming. I also wonder what was behind the hidden piece of tapestry covering the prophecy.
I forget, did they ever explain who attacked the world serpent while you were inside it? Was it Baldur?
Maybe we will, or did, sort of.
Loki being the father of the world serpent (Jörmungandr) maybe means time travel stuff somewhere in the sequels.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
I understand those wanting more, but the game itself was already so meaty and really about the journey of Kratos and Atreus, similar to TLOU Part I being about Joel and Ellie's journey across the country. Finally at that very end moment to Kratos finally acknowledges Kratos as his son and not just as "BOI" lol.

Can't wait to see what the sequel has in store for all of us...

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Personally I loved it AND i feel it was setting up the sequel too...

I loved the journey of these 2 characters, the revelation that Atreus is Loki and the mural scene, teasing Krato's death and Loki to continue his journey alone.

But who knows what will happen, i remember that GOD1 teased a modern day adventure with a military type hero, but nothing happened with that.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt like it that much. I was expecting like 5 or 10 more hours after beating the Stranger. The ending and story felt unepic, lacking some glorious godly moments. I was expecting more than Kratos struggling with some "random" god for 30 hours. Facing thor odin and the rest of norse pantheon seems silly when I think how hard it was for Kratos to beat Baldur.

The ending felt like it needed a few more hours to really chew into the story and norse mythology

But the narrative was entirely focused on the singularity of the task that kicks the whole thing off, which is delivering the ashes to their final resting place. This isn't a story about rage-Kratos and a drive to take down a pantheon. I can get being disappointed if that wasn't what you wanted or expected from a GoW game, but narratively the game as a singular entry is stellar in keeping its focus and making sure all beats are in service of that focus.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017

I loved that moment because I am sure that misdirect of assumption was what the writers intended. I also loved the realization at the end that all of those golden marks and symbols you saw the entire game were made by Fae as she walked the exact path she foresaw Kratos and Atreus taking to prepare it for them.

I seem to remember a line from Baldur along the lines of "I figured that would draw you out" after you exit the serpent, so it is heavily implied he did it to force a fight with you.

Oct 29, 2017
Game was absolutely great. My only gripe was some of the samey-ness of the enemies (and troll bosses), but overall a MASTERFUL experience. SO many great moments and characters, and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Nov 7, 2017
I loved the game, but whiny Baldur was such a non threat to kratos it didnt feel complete to me. Like an annoying fly you cant swat. Im sure the next game will be great in that regard

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The good boss fights were with the Valkyries and the were entirely optional. But even then, those boss fights lacked variety even though each had unique attacks. The original trilogy definitely had better boss fights.