• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
I stalled when I hit chapter 9. Up to that point it felt loaded with filler and honestly in the original game the Midgar section was the weakest part. Might just pick up part 2 when it comes out and not bother with finishing part 1.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
What this game told me was that I'm not interested in the rest of the remake. If Midgar took this many years, had this much "padding"...there's no way I can even possibly get excited for anything else. So many towns, continents, locales, summons, etc? This remake is one bad decision after another, shooting for hyper realism and all this detail, when they could have scaled back CONSIDERABLY and made a significantly better game.

I'll buy any of the sequels to the remake on sale, not gonna Day 1 this anymore. Blech.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 11, Chapter 14 Leslie quest, and The Drum in chapter 17 are the only times I felt that game was padding too much. Enjoyed everything else for the most part.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The boss fights were amazing. I don't get gamers sometimes. Walking is padding. Side quests are padding. Combat is padding. Well designed boss fights is padding. What is not padding at this point,? I can understand not liking the game or combat system, but complaining about boss fights when clearly a lot of care went into them (they are not just a bigger enemy with lots of HP, each is it own little puzzle) is just a bit beyond me. I mean. The fucking arsenal fight. So good.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Midgar was enough content in the original version. Remake was too drawn out. By the end I had no interest in getting the summons I missed.

Not caring about Bahamut in an FF game is a red flag IMO.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Tell me about it! When I was playing I died to the

arbiters of fate before sephiroth, after like what 25 minutes of fighting and 'gameplay cutscenes' and it made me start over from the start of the whole section. It felt really stupid there was no checkpoint, especially given the litany of unskippable cutscenes.

Honestly after 30 odd hours with the game I still felt like I had no real control over what was happening on screen. Sometimes id be totally overwhelmed sometimes I'd completely breeze through it. I wasn't sure if it was just random, the game was adapting its difficulty to how bad I was, or it was my own actions that led to victory.

But yes, that last section of the game dragged big time for me.
The partner AI is brain-dead to where you have to control them constantly and they don't get ATB bars filled as quickly as when you control them, so you end up needing to swap who you're controlling pretty frequently to do anything in a lot of cases. It's the only aspect of the game I can honestly say I didn't like, because it felt like the AI was tuned to be as stupid and useless as possible.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
There are so many people ITT that think the game was sloggy and padded to hell, and yet the game reviewed incredibly well.
I found that incredibly surprising. Overall the high highs were INCREDIBLE. The characters were done so well. But yeah I can't overlook the random plain dungeons that reuse the same assets over and over again. No story progression. No character development. Just forcing the player to jump through more hoops before the next big story beat. GHOST TRAINS.
All of the original music didn't match the mechanical feel of the city at all and instantly took me out. There's absolutely no reason to create new music in the first place since the nailed it the first time.

incredible post...

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
The boss fights were amazing. I don't get gamers sometimes. Walking is padding. Side quests are padding. Combat is padding. Well designed boss fights is padding. What is not padding at this point,? I can understand not liking the game or combat system, but complaining about boss fights when clearly a lot of care went into them (they are not just a bigger enemy with lots of HP, each is it own little puzzle) is just a bit beyond me. I mean. The fucking arsenal fight. So good.

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean, boss fights is exactly where the combat system shines!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked the ending (Ch. 18), but yeah, you can turn even a fun battle system into something you dread if you just put player through fight after fight after fight with not much mechanical differentiation between them.

The Reno/Rude/Hell House boss fights were cool because they mixed things up a bit. By the end, it's all basically the same shit.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
With you OP but the slog started way before then. I'd say it was around when you got to Wall Market. Man, what a disappointment outside the graphics, soundtrack, and battle system.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
"Slog" fits this game perfectly, it just feels so SLOW nearly constantly. I now it's due to loading, but there are so many sections where you suddenly can't run, or have to wait on long boring animations, etc. And why is combat so long? It got to the point that I didn't even like the boss fights because they just took way too long and felt like a drag.

I admit, I wasn't a big fan of the combat system in this game, which is weird because so many people praise it. I kept trying to like it, but it just never really clicked for me. Part of it is that I HATE games that feature delays/stunlock/stagger type mechanics, and I feel like I got frustrated a lot when I would get knocked down while casting a spell, or get killed while literally in mid-animation for using an item, or something like that. Note to game devs: There is nothing more frustrating and annoying in a game when much of the difficulty is obtained by preventing the player from being able to do things. Please stop that.

Mung

Nov 2, 2017
The ending to this game was amazing. In fact the last few chapters were just so hype.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I thought most of the game was a slog, to be honest. Pacing was all over the place for me.
I know this discussion has been exhausted on this site but Midgar really wasn't designed for one game and it's evident in the padding
The ending was so bad and should never have happened.
Could not disagree more with these takes. I was super skeptical of the remake but I love everything they did with it. Even the train graveyard. With one exception...
I love chapter 18's climactic boss fights, but chapter 17s Hojo lab is what really hurts the pacing near the end. While I could feel some of the padding throughout the game, thats the only place where it really bugged me. Should have been cut, IMO.
There are cool parts in Hojo's lab, but I would have appreciated it if they cut it down significantly. Maybe less "puzzles" there.

Oct 27, 2017
I funnily enough actually liked the boss gauntlet. Let's not forget the original FFVII towards the end of that section is also pretty much a boss gauntlet (argument being I suppose that there are even more bosses and less in the middle of them in this remake). To be fair I preferred the ending to the repeat sewer section (ch14) right before which was bad pacing.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Could not disagree more with these takes. I was super skeptical of the remake but I love everything they did with it. Even the train graveyard. With one exception...

There are cool parts in Hojo's lab, but I would have appreciated it if they cut it down significantly. Maybe less "puzzles" there.
I liked the train graveyard myself personally. After the demo I really thought this was going to be a classic. But the many additions were mostly awful. Some were fine, I wasn't averse to them adding stuff but it also had to be good. It wasn't sadly. The ending was not pretty and really dragged the game down for me to the point I'm not even bothered if they cancelled the rest of it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
only the end?

the whole thing is a slog.
Good thing combat was fun.

But in particular the worst sloggiest parts were getting to tifas bar in the beginning... and then climbing the tower at the end...
OH and the ghost yard place too
OH and...

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's not even that it was necessarily a terrible dungeon. It's just that it hits right as the story is moving toward a climax and stops the momentum dead in its tracks.

It's a similar problem with the Train Graveyard. The dungeon was fine on its own but you hit it when you know the Shinra attack is happening and it just seems to go on.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
There were a couple segments in the back half of the game that dragged and chapter 17 felt particularly punishing, but I damn near forgot about all of it by time I got to chapter 18 as I was completely elated by the way everything went. But yeah, on my second hard mode playthrough, I wasn't feeling quite as forgiving, lol. The pacing is an absolute trainwreck in the second half.

I get why they felt like they needed to get in front of criticism and pad things out as much as possible, but I think the game would have been much stronger at about 2/3 of its length.

Soma

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
it was... fine. which is still disappointing when i was expecting more.

while it's true the combat system was pretty great, I was getting a bit frustrated by a lot of the later boss fights because of how often the game would constantly take away control whenever the battle would shift into another sequence or goes into a quick cutscene before giving back control to me. much of the time it felt like the momentum was taken away right when I was getting into the 'zone', so the last few fights didn't leave a great impression on me and by the end I honestly don't feel motivated to go back do side stuff that I missed.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to finish this game, but it is such a slog, got right to the end of chapter 14 and just ended up dropping it. I want to go back and finish it but then I read threads like this and remember why I skipped it. Corridor levels, combat (I know im in the minority) I thought was frantic and chaotic, and endless backtracking made it so hard to stay engaged in what I otherwise thought was an extremely compelling story in a beautiful package.

anaa

Unshakable Resolve
Jun 30, 2019
The partner AI is brain-dead to where you have to control them constantly and they don't get ATB bars filled as quickly as when you control them, so you end up needing to swap who you're controlling pretty frequently to do anything in a lot of cases. It's the only aspect of the game I can honestly say I didn't like, because it felt like the AI was tuned to be as stupid and useless as possible.
Yeah, I mean, I definitely thought this is what I was doing. Its entirely possible my old, calcified brain just makes it impossible for me to do that effectively.. just never felt like I was in control, even when I was wildly switching characters all the time. Like trying to drive a car going 80 with no brakes. Every time I survived a difficult encounter it felt like dumb luck as opposed to being a master of the gameplay systems.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I just done tofa rescue from don. Its a slog and pain to play. How far am i ? Is it getting any better / faster anytime soon?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I mean, I definitely thought this is what I was doing. Its entirely possible my old, calcified brain just makes it impossible for me to do that effectively.. just never felt like I was in control, even when I was wildly switching characters all the time. Like trying to drive a car going 80 with no brakes. Every time I survived a difficult encounter it felt like dumb luck as opposed to being a master of the gameplay systems.
You probably were but it wasn't enough of what the game was demanding of you. I was legit tempted to kick myself down to casual or whatever a few times because it felt like it was getting my way of enjoying the game. Boss fights were taking so damned long that I was worried I had been doing wrong, particularly during a particular fight in HQ that just... aaargh it's making me frustrated thinking about it. My wife started the game not long after I did and on casual/easy with the same battle style, she flew through the Scorpion boss in the reactor about like the original game's pace was. I really do think some of their decisions were for the worse. I enjoy the battle system's ideas a whole lot, but they implemented the AI poorly and required too much use of elements, IMO.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
As the title states really...

I've gotten to chapter 18 and I know that is virtually the end. However it's just boss fight after boss fight after boss fight.

I don't think I can be bothered finishing it! Did anyone else feel this way?
I agree. I quit the game on chapter 18 and YT the ending. It was my first time playing FF7 and most likely my last game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
my feelings:

- it's a great game
- it's also a slog
- if it were significantly shorter lets be real, we'd probably be whining about it being a full priced title

thelooseteeth

Mar 8, 2019
Had to force myself to finish this game, and I have no desire to play it again. I'm pretty much done with Final Fantasy. It had a good run, but it's completely lost it's charm for me at this point. Plenty of others games to scratch my RPG itch with, though.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
There's a shocking amount of stuff in this game that's plain bad. Pacing, some visual stuff. Combat system definitely isn't one of them tho.

Combat system becomes particularly incredible once you get ATB assist materia and use a single character to build up most of your party members ATB. It's just a really well thought out system, easily one of the best in a FF (I still prefer FFXII, tho I don't agree that gambits are needed for Remake)

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Those slew of bosses right before you-know-who was so Kingdom Hearts and felt so much like padding.

Still a great game though.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
It has a very 'Hobbit Trilogy' thing going on, it just doesn't feel right half the time and bloats something that is designed to feel and flow very differently.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I was really loving it up until the second detour into the sewers. Everything after that felt so slow and padded out and I've still not finished the game. I'm near the end I think? I finished the bike boss.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I know this discussion has been exhausted on this site but Midgar really wasn't designed for one game and it's evident in the padding

See my thing is that I think Midgar DESERVES a full game. It's a massive city we see very little of in the original game. That's fine for what that game was actually about, but there's so much more you can do with that as a setting. They just went about it in the worst way possible. What they should have done was taken us to a bunch of new locations to see new sides of the city as a result of twists in the narratives. Something that would keep us interested and invested in what's going on but ties into the core story seamlessly.

Instead they just added a bunch of fetch quests and made all the existing areas 5x as large.