• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
According to the New York Times's Kathleen Kingsbury, we are living in a period of political division. In June, the newspaper published an op-ed by Tom Cotton, sparking weeks of debate over the politics and practices of mainstream media. Looking for a silver lining in the fallout over Cotton's racist screed, Kingsbury, recently appointed the acting opinion editor at the Times, wrote that it "generated a necessary dialogue" and "elevated a conversation worth having and will help inform what discourse looks like in a polarized world."

Kingsbury's proposed solution to the polarization she identified—namely, conversation—is telling. The claim felt pointed, particularly now as establishment media and political personalities are concerned about the consequences of radical demands for systemic reinvention, restructuring, and abolition in the wake of the covid-19 crisis and the Black Lives Matter movement. This is neither accidental nor benign. It is the deliberate project of what I call the Having Conversations Industrial Complex: a loose assemblage of professional speakers, non-profit organizations, astroturfed activists, diversity consultants, academic advisory boards, panelists, and politicians who are paid to generate a "conversation" that doesn't need to show tangible results. Rather, the only role of the conversation is to generate more conversations. And while they profit off of the Having Conversations Industrial Complex (professionally, socially, financially, and ideologically), those at the frontline are injured, arrested, and labeled "terrorists." The Having Conversations Industrial Complex exists to enrich the powerful and defuse radical demands.

From Google to Target, to Tim Hortons, to L'Oréal Paris, to Coca-Cola, to Spotify, even corporations are having conversations. In the lingo of the Having Conversations Industrial Complex, companies are "listening," "learning," and striving to "do better," without doing much beyond posting a black square or a vague statement about racial justice on social media. But brands are not the only ones "having conversations" right now. Educational institutions that spent the last several decades harming and policing students and faculty of color are suddenly recommitting to "diversity" and "dialogue," absent any material, structural changes. School boards are ostensibly ready to learn about the dangers of racism, even as they've been ignoring evidence of racism for years. Even police departments are "listening" as well. Politicians are excited to have conversations, too, so long as those conversations don't require them to take a stance. The conversation is continuing, with no end in sight.

jezebel.com

The Emptiness and Inertia of 'Having Conversations'

Since 2007, Jezebel has been the Internet's most treasured source for everything celebrities, sex, and politics...with teeth.
This is legitimately one of the best articles I've read in ages

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, this what i think ever time i hear the words. How is you calling someone a slur the open to a conversation? No some shit shouldn't be debated.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
the Having Conversations Industrial Complex: a loose assemblage of professional speakers, non-profit organizations, astroturfed activists, diversity consultants, academic advisory boards, panelists, and politicians who are paid to generate a "conversation" that doesn't need to show tangible results. Rather, the only role of the conversation is to generate more conversations. And while they profit off of the Having Conversations Industrial Complex (professionally, socially, financially, and ideologically), those at the frontline are injured, arrested, and labeled "terrorists." The Having Conversations Industrial Complex exists to enrich the powerful and defuse radical demands.

Very well said.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
When I hear people say we "need to have a conversation," I roll my eyes. It's like saying we need a shopping list when the party is already in full swing. Just because your ass wasn't in the group chat doesn't mean we were gonna stop everything for you.

Dec 30, 2020
A conversation is a thing you sit through until it's over. Now a barfight mixed with philosophical discourse on the other hand...

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Conversations are something that happens organically, not something you should set up. And if you're setting them up in bad faith with a slant that serves your agenda, no one owes you shit anyway.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with having a conversation at this point is that one side isn't even in the same realm anymore. Like we want to debate tax policy and they're obsessed with pedo pizzerias. You can't converse without a baseline of fact and reality and a willingness to change one's mind when proven wrong. We know for a fact that economic growth is stronger under Democratic administrations. We know for a fact that conservative tax and conservative austerity policies are harmful so why do we need a conversation on that? We have the data and we know the correct solution or at least the superior one. They are too focused on the culture war to allow us to move on to tangible policy. For example, at the end of the day there's no harm in preferred pronouns, or saying "Happy Holidays", or having instructions in English and Spanish. 0 detriment to any party involved, only benefits so what are we even talking about?

And this doesn't even get into that one side is straight up taking over the Capitol and getting coddled like babies afterwards and now wants to converse? Nah. Eventually in the marketplace of ideas, you have to "buy" one and move on. We can't just endlessly debate obviously wrong ideologies.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
When I hear people say we "need to have a conversation," I roll my eyes. It's like saying we need a shopping list when the party is already in full swing. Just because your ass wasn't in the group chat doesn't mean we were gonna stop everything for you.
Yep. These "conversations" they often want to have are not just things we've been "conversing" about since the nation's inception & even long before, but are conversations that have long since been settled with definitive answers. The people making these pointless appeals just don't want to recognize those facts because to do so would preclude the next step which is actually doing work to apply that shit & their political, social & intellectual laziness & apathy won't allow anything of the sort.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
There's no middle ground between "maybe we provide all Americans a basic level of income, tax the extremely wealthy appropriately and make sure they're represented by a diverse, well-trained group of politicians and police force" and "maybe we should shoot minorities and LGBTQ+ folks into the sun"

American politics is not about two sides debating how to solve a problem, it's about one side trying to solve a problem the other created while that same side does everything to stop them

Oct 12, 2020
To quote the lyrics from a famous German punk band:

"Let us talk, because in our beautiful land
everyone is at least theoretically terribly tolerant
Words don't want to move anything, words don't hurt anyone
Therefore let us talk about it. Discussions are OK."

No - go back into the streets, go demonstrating again
'Cause those who don't try to fight anymore - can only lose"

Lass uns diskutieren, denn in unserem schönen Land
Sind zumindest theoretisch alle furchtbar tolerant
Worte wollen nichts bewegen, Worte tun niemandem weh
Darum lass uns drüber reden. Diskussionen sind ok

Nein - geh mal wieder auf die Straße, geh mal wieder demonstrieren
Denn wer nicht mehr versucht zu kämpfen, kann nur verlieren

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What I find so hard to grapple with is that, in terms of ""the conversation,"" you really can make the argument that a lot* of progress has been made. From a cultural standpoint, things like racial oppression, income inequality, healthcare rights, etc. ARE more out in the open. You see a much more equitable landscape** than you would've seen 25-30 years ago.

But the flip side is that this kind of thing isn't monolithic. There's a big-ass swath of people who outright REFUSE to come along with the group, that every one of these metrics is bullshit - and they're not even apathetic*** - they're outright contemptuous. And so they've hooked in an IV of pure poison, convinced it's a panacea for the modern existence.

And it just gets more disappointing, because even all of those areas of progress are much more superficial than you'd hope. Yes, we see more diversity in mainstream pop culture, but are the fruits of that labor being felt in proportion to the participants? No, sir. Gay marriage is federally legal, but it hasn't stopped a huge contingent of lobbyists and lawmakers from taking every opportunity to punch down on LGBTQ+ civil rights.

I want to be optimistic. I want to believe that we can turn it around. Maybe if we had an unlimited amount of time. But this century is going to make or break mankind's future on this planet and I'm not sure enough people are up to it****.

It really makes me sad.
--

* But not nearly enough

** Relative to the landscape of the past. Not trying to say that things are perfect - far from it.

*** Which many people are, and sometimes it's hard to draw the distinction, because if the net result is the same, who cares if you're just not paying attention?

**** I wanna clarify that I'm not trying to set up myself as above it all and in judgement. I'm a straight white-presenting Latin guy, so I still have a lot of cultural programming and personal bias to shed before I can throw stones anywhere.