• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
The Deep State is Russia and the GoP. The Deep State as Trump describes it doesn't exist, or Trump would have been "taken care of" by now.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It's clear even on this board that people haven't fully understood the gravity of this situation. We already know where law enforcement (like the NYPD) stands in this country and I have no doubt that they will allow white militias to get away with murder and let chaos reign. The cult has infiltrated every facet of our society and we can't depend on any leadership to protect us. This isn't fear mongering. We're about to enter a period of civil unrest the likes of which none of us have ever experienced. Prepare yourselves.
I get so sick of people talking down and saying others don't get it like you lot saying the same tired "it's never going to work out" mantra are on to something new yourselves. People get it, but none of it's a guarantee, so I ask what the fuck is the point in retreading it over and over? There hasn't been anyone for the most part that hasn't admitted trump will try to interfere and that we should prepare, but that somehow isn't good enough. I'm not sure if the goal is for everyone to be miserable and only assume the worst or what, but I'm not sure what reaction would be best suited for some of you regarding situations you're pretty much guessing the outcomes of in somewhat definitive ways. So knowing you and the poster are better aware of the situation at hand supposedly, what are either of you doing differently than any of other posters that you're criticizing day to day to prepare for this outcome (other than complaining on era about others not understanding)? Please share so the rest of us who are also affected better know how to prepare.

And I'm not saying don't discuss this kind of stuff because it's negative, I just don't get what exactly folks aren't understanding or how those who supposedly take this more seriously are better prepared for the events you're talking about. This narrative that no one thought he'd try some bullshit around election is false.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PA, MI, OH, WI all have GOP legislatures. I expect each one to try this.

PA MI and WI have democratic governors and the GOP lacks a supermajority. OH is barely a swing state. The article does go into the scenario where the governor and legislatures disagree creating a constitutional crisis in each state but at that point we are really approaching fantasy

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
PA MI and WI have democratic governors and the GOP lacks a supermajority. OH is barely a swing state. The article does go into the scenario where the governor and legislatures disagree creating a constitutional crisis in each state but at that point we are really approaching fantasy
Is it a fantasy when Trump himself said it today, and republican legislators in those states are already working toward it?

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Yup. It's clear even on this board that people haven't fully understood the gravity of this situation. We already know where law enforcement (like the NYPD) stands in this country and I have no doubt that they will allow white militias to get away with murder and let chaos reign. The cult has infiltrated every facet of our society and we can't depend on any leadership to protect us. This isn't fear mongering. We're about to enter a period of civil unrest the likes of which none of us have ever experienced. Prepare yourselves.

This sounds like something a different Trump would say.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Fucker has been preparing for this election since he took office Day 1. He has just really ramped it up the past few months.
Anyone who thinks he is going to go quietly is delusional.
Everyone keeps saying they cannot wait until November.
While I get it and agree, just strap in. Shit is going to get uglier than it already has been all while Wave 2 will be in full effect.
The next year or so is going to be what sets the tone for the rest of the United States existence.
Do we somehow get out of this nightmare and get things back on track?
Or does it all burn to the ground?

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hope he refuses to leave, because I would lay money down that there are currently Secret Service who cannot wait to force him out of the WH.

I want to literally see him drug out, clawing with his piece of shit supporters getting handled outside.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
A lawyer's take on this:

Seems reasonable. Classic dictator tactic.

People need to stay energized and ready to vote - which so far seems to be the case. Every response this year to clear suppression or attacks on legitimacy attempts has been met with massive Dem turnout in response. If that prevails, then there is hope to start picking up the pieces.

If he successfully convinces people that nothing is worth it, then the system will finally fully fall. And at that point, you're not even talking about the US as we know it.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe this can't happen, but the gop has proven time and again that no, actually laws don't matter, and they can do whatever the fuck they want.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
What exactly does Trump think is going to happen if he outright steals the election from the majority of this country? Motherfucker. I LIVE HERE. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LIVE HERE.
The country will be annihilated or settle into a fascist autocracy that will grant him indefinite reigns as leader until the day he dies.
Both are wins in his eyes and in Master Putin's eyes.

That's assuming the election can be "stolen"... there remains a lot of doubt that's feasible. But that doubt is largely based on constitutional norms that have been subverted again and again over the past four years. I've been under the presumption that Trump can't win legitimately since March... and the Biden campaign has been making the right decisions every step of the way. Hopefully the American people follow through and that will be enough.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
A lawyer's take on this:

I follow her and she's very good, but she doesn't provide a legal analysis here. My takeaway from the Atlantic article and the reason I posted it is to convince people to VOTE. That is what we can do right now. We can vote for Biden and convince others to do the same. (even Kanefield acknowledges that voter turnout is still way too low)

If the article gets a few more people off their asses or holds their nose to vote for someone they don't like, then good. If it gets Era to talk to people who don't give a shit and gets them to vote, then good. No outcome is certain, but voting for Biden is the best thing anyone can do for the each other right now.

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose the answer here is vote and vote early, becuase by election day you may not be able to. I expect all in the article and more, Trump is going to be in legal hell if he loses, he probbaly has nothignt o lose doing this.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I really miss the days when I didn't pay attention to or care about politics.
QoqOby7.gif

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to believe this can't happen, but the gop has proven time and again that no, actually laws don't matter, and they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Yeah the general feeling she's trying to convey is kinda lost when it seems that, actually, the president can kinda do whatever the fuck he wants if he has a complicit Senate and judicial branch- Which he now has.

All of those lower court seats he filled, in addition to the 3 seats he filled on the SCOTUS, could let him get away with whatever he wants.

No hyperbole, this feels like the great American experiment is on the verge of ending. I hope that Biden wins so convincingly this November that none of these interventions will make a difference.

Mifune

Oct 30, 2017
Biden needs to win and win big. If he is winning by a lot in multiple swing states on election night than it is unlikely Trump can contest the election. The chances of that are tiny, sadly.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Biden needs to win and win big. If he is winning by a lot in multiple swing states on election night than it is unlikely Trump can contest the election. The chances of that are tiny, sadly.

I do think the most likely outcome right now is that Biden will win, and win by a large enough margin that all we get from Trump supporters is grumbling. Not violence, or at least not large scale or organized violence.

But just the fact that the GOP is so openly against voting, in so many ways, is devastating to our democracy. When one of just two viable parties takes the position that only members of its party deserve rights, it's hard to imagine a positive future for the country.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

I'll be honest, I didn't really care or follow either. Thought Republicans sucked and Dems sucked a little less.

What Terri Kanefield wrote is correct. Many of us inherited a beneficial Democracy and like many inheritances we took it for granted that it was ours and always would be. We (re)learned that Democracies are actually hard, hierarchy's are easy. Let someone else lead and take charge. It's a primal pecking order.

This is the tweet thread on it
https://twitter.com/Teri_Kanefield/status/1308799627647266818?s=20
and here
threadreaderapp.com

Thread by @Teri_Kanefield on Thread Reader App

@Teri_Kanefield: There may be a few who don't get it, but most do. In 2016, lots of Trump voters may not have understood what they are voting for—but not this time. Consider the definition of "liberal...…

Kos Luftar

Oct 27, 2017
I feel sorry for you decent Americans, but the more news I see I feel like you are doomed for another 4 years.
Election is going to be tampered by Russia and Trump enablers to help Trump. Republicans seem to be ready do every corrupt thing not to lose.
I understand everyone should still vote but just seems like it won't matter because there are zero rules anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
No Captain America to save us from a real Hydra. We got to do it ourselves. We can never give no matter what, or every hero from George Washington to John Lewis and RBG whose struggle to create this nation and move it towards something better will be for naught. I refuse to let their legacies be meaningless in the end, especially for someone like Donald Fucking Trump. If the worst should happen, then we can't just bitch on Era or Twitter, we've got to mobilize. If someone is thousands of miles from DC and cant afford the trip, then we find a way to get them there.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I keep ignoring all the negativity and have committed myself to voting early, but there's this nagging feeling that independent and right-leaning whites are going to fuck this up AGAIN.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Question is what do you expect to happen when he steals the election. Do you think protesters will storm the whitehouse and go gung ho on him?

probably the same thing that's been happening these past four years: "We'll get 'em in the next election! Vote!"

That's a straight up fantasy.

Do people honestly think that a lot of sane people are going to sit at home & not start rioting everywhere, including around the White House if Trump cheats through the election? It's happened plenty of times this year alone.

There are millions of people that are unemployed due to the pandemic & are fed up with Trump & his bullshit. They have nothing to lose at this point.

And he controls both the military and has the adoration of police across the country.

A lot of people are going to die.

Even the military themselves hates Trump.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thankfully, he does not have a solid grip on the military. Cannot speak postively about the police but if shit hits the fan it will probably be MAGA hats with guns and thin blue liners and not thin blue liners + army greens.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I wonder if liberals are going to be secretly disappointed when none of their Sorkin-esque fantasy comes to pass and everything happens normally without Trump being "dragged out of the Oval Office in handcuffs" or whatever.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do people honestly think that a lot of sane people are going to sit at home & not start rioting everywhere, including around the White House? It's happened plenty of times this year alone.

There are millions of people that are unemployed due to the pandemic & are fed up with Trump & his bullshit. They have nothing to lose at this point.

I've already said that while I do think that riots will happen, I'm not seeing the civil war that people think it is going to be. Again, once the tear gas, rubber bullets and pepper spray starts rolling regular people will back down.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Yeah, he only has like 35% support.
Exactly. And it is disproportionately from enlisted members. He has abysmal support from the officer corps of military. That means the people that could keep troops in line for him basically hate him, and means he could never effectively handle/manage a military-powered coup. It's one of the (many) things that makes Trump incapable of going full Fascism in this country.

P-Tux7

Mar 11, 2019
What exactly does Trump think is going to happen if he outright steals the election from the majority of this country? Motherfucker. I LIVE HERE. HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LIVE HERE.
He thinks that people will act civilized afterwards and not storm the White House even as he does the opposite. Civility is a veneer only Democrats feel beholden to uphold

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, he does not have a solid grip on the military. Cannot speak postively about the police but if shit hits the fan it will probably be MAGA hats with guns and thin blue liners and not thin blue liners + army greens.

Hopefully we don't come to that because it would be messy no matter how you cut it.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
With a justification based on claims of rampant fraud, Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly. The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires.
So the legislators have the power to just ignore the popular vote and appoint their own electors? If that option is always available and isn't triggered by any special circumstances, the legal battles and deadline seem irrelevant.

I guess the voter fraud claims could create a veneer of legitimacy in the eyes of the public, but even without that the GOP legislators could say "fuck it" and appoint Trump electors anyway.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hope he refuses to leave, because I would lay money down that there are currently Secret Service who cannot wait to force him out of the WH.

I want to literally see him drug out, clawing with his piece of shit supporters getting handled outside.

That's the Deep State "rejecting the will of the people." If you thought the Tea Party hijacking the 2010s was bad, Y'all Qaeda will be coming out with guns.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
This is where I hope our blue governors, reps, and senators are ready to burn this union down. Mass secession, general strikes, no more tax dollars to the federal government. America should no longer function if all social contracts are off.
Fucking facts.

Let's see if the dems have the guts to hold their ground and go through with it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Fuck around and find out. There will be mass protesting on a scale that hasn't been seen before if they screw with the results.

Protests have largely been ineffective to actual change as we've seen over the recent months. So unless those people are prepared to transition into real violence and destruction to the point of dragging elected officials out of their houses or shutting down entire industries in mass, then it's largely irrelevant

They ruled states can enact anti-faithless elector laws, not that all electors must vote as their state did.

Ah, I see, thank you for the clarification.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Over 15 years ago, The United States repeated the false notion that it is a liberator that "spread democracy" to the world's nations that yearn to have it and unconditionally barked back at naysayers who questioned it.

Today, who would've thought that the nation that prided itself as an "exemplar of democracy" would struggle to implement and maintain the basic principles of a democracy? /s

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
Yeah the general feeling she's trying to convey is kinda lost when it seems that, actually, the president can kinda do whatever the fuck he wants if he has a complicit Senate and judicial branch- Which he now has.

All of those lower court seats he filled, in addition to the 3 seats he filled on the SCOTUS, could let him get away with whatever he wants.

No hyperbole, this feels like the great American experiment is on the verge of ending. I hope that Biden wins so convincingly this November that none of these interventions will make a difference.

Yeah, as I was reading through that thread it all sounded reasonable and logical but I just couldn't get this tweet out of my head the whole time..