• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Again, why are we taking TODD HOWARD, the sweet little lies guy, at face value? His studio hasn't released anything since Fallout 4, 4 years ago. You really think they'd announce Starfield if they didn't plan on releasing it next year max?

They also announced TESVI at the exact same conference, so you somehow believe they are releasing both games next year...max? As in, you think they could come out in 2019?

Deleted member 43220

May 11, 2018
One note: Todd said that both Starfield and TES VI will not be at E3 this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda have really gotta get more creative than just 'fantasy Europe', 'fantasy Scandinavia', and 'fantasy Arabia.' Morrowind was an endlessly fascinating place because while it drew influences from the real world, you couldn't pinpoint it to any one analogue and it felt suitably alien as a result. The weird and creative creatures they went above and beyond generic Tolkien helped too.

Morrowind was also that the game that literally just turned the empire into the roman empire. Oblivion tended to be pretty generic at times too.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
Again, why are we taking TODD HOWARD, the sweet little lies guy, at face value? His studio hasn't released anything since Fallout 4, 4 years ago. You really think they'd announce Starfield if they didn't plan on releasing it next year max?

Fallout 76 was released last year and BGS averages around 3 years between releases. Starfield has already been confirmed to be a next generation title. TESVI won't be for a few years after Starfield.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would photogrammetry complicate things as far as the modding scene go?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really really hope they have completely changed how they do animation. That is my main issue with TES/Fallout games as a whole, the poor animation quality gives it so much jank, and for a studio with as deep pockets as they have it never made sense why they couldn't have better animation, use mo-cap (didn't they even buy a mo cap studio even before Skyrim was out? I remember them talking about it).

I'm glad to see them putting Shirley into the game, loving seeing her adventures on youtube and hope she'll get to enjoy the new game.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Starfield and TES VI were only shown at E3 last year to prove that Bethesda was still committed to large single-player experiences.

OP
OP
Katarn343

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
MĂ©xico - United States
This doesn't. They just added Quixel, and another new lighting system which replaces the one from FO4. I don't like the sounds of this, as it seems like they don't have much work even done for it.
Don't think about the CK (or any engine, for that matter) as an isolated variable. The Creation Engine is just a toolset filled with proprietary tools and middleware, like Havok. If they are changing their renderer, animation, physics and editor, it essentially becomes a new thing altogether (at least for the most part). There are still some things limiting what they can do, such as their cell streaming technology (which they rely on given how many individual IDs their engine has to track), or the fact that the CK is very CPU-bound, but these things aren't impossible to solve. If you play Fallout 4 and Fallout 3, for example, the amount of worldspace cells vs interior cells is much different, or the amount of detail within the renderer.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy to me that an entire generation is going to go by without Bethesda releasing an installment of their biggest franchise. Feels like wasted profit to me.

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
It's crazy to me that an entire generation is going to go by without Bethesda releasing an installment of their biggest franchise. Feels like wasted profit to me.

Last gen got two, and ESO + the Skyrim remaster came this gen. Irritating, but not that big of a deal.

Plus, the leap in tech from Skyrim will be that much wider. That seems to be the point for taking so long - to make a real splash.

Last edited:

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Morrowind was also that the game that literally just turned the empire into the roman empire. Oblivion tended to be pretty generic at times too.

Sure but like I said, Morrowind draws from enough influences that overall you'd never say the world is most closely resembling Ancient Rome. There's enough diversity there that it feels like its own unique space.

Oblivion is the worst when it comes to this so we're in agreement there. So painfully generic, especially coming off the back of Morrowind.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
I really really hope they have completely changed how they do animation. That is my main issue with TES/Fallout games as a whole, the poor animation quality gives it so much jank, and for a studio with as deep pockets as they have it never made sense why they couldn't have better animation, use mo-cap (didn't they even buy a mo cap studio even before Skyrim was out? I remember them talking about it).

Not just animation in every layer imaginable but also AI. The AI needs big emphasis in quality of life improvements.

Literally, the execrable town Guard behavior is flat out so unsatisfactory and miserable, that the only good it did was serving as comic relief for YouTube content creators.

Bethesda nails a unique open world experience like no other. They have that down. They just really need to focus on narrative, gameplay and AI for their next attempt at open world games.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope they can get their shit together again enough to deliver like they did years ago. Maybe a new engine and new hardware will give them a new outlook.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'mma be mad as hell if we get another human-based land. Morrowind was the best setting exactly because it was so different. I wanna see the Black Marsh, Elseweyr, or Valenwood.

Summerset Isles is very likely though, considering how they've built up the Dominion as the true antagonists.
Truth. Gimme less realistic locales and more fantastical ones. Giant mushrooms, ashen wastelands, huge plant buildings. Things like that are what made Morrowind really stand out vs Skyrim and Oblivion

Sugaree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
So in today's The Elder Scrolls 25th anniversary celebration panel, the leads at Bethesda Game Studios / Zenimax Online sat down and discussed the past, present and (briefly) the future of The Elder Scrolls franchise. We got our first glimpse at some of the technology that we can expect from BGS's future projects (including Starfield), but more prominently The Elder Scrolls VI. So it seems that they're using a new photogrammetry technology to capture the scenery and make it look more authentic than it their past games, as you can see blow.

k0qblwls64p21.jpg

Obviously the environment is very reminiscent of Hammerfell, and coupled with the reveal trailer, I think we can put two and two together and pin-point the location of TES VI — either Hammerfell or Ilaic Bay (which is the region that combines both High Rock and Hammerfell). Since Ilaic Bay is home to one The Towers from Tamriel (The Direnni Tower), and said structures have been a key location on most past Elder Scrolls games, I think this is a given.

It is also cool to see that BGS will be adapting Quixel megascan technology to their engine, as you can see here, and they have a new renderer/lighting engine implementation from Enlighten Global Illumination middleware tools (which they are testing in Fallout 76 currently, actually). All in all, I'm just glad that BGS is turning around and improving their engine tech. We already knew they were modifying their physics and animation tools for Starfield, but all of this confirms pretty much an entire overhaul of the Creation Engine.

Also, really nice that they got around capturing (and immortalizing) Shirley Curry as an NPC in The Elder Scrolls VI.
screenshot_20190329-161134_youtube.jpg

I'm almost convinced that we won't see TES VI until 2024, releasing on the 30th anniversary of the series, with Starfield launching with the next-gen consoles on 2020.

6 years from reveal
To release? No.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The problems with Gamebryo go way beyond the graphics rendering. Making it slightly prettier isn't going to magically make it not a buggy mess.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Its almost as if Fallout 4 and Fallout 76(as a cheap spinoff game done by a completely different studio) were always intended to be hold overs until technology improved more on the consoles for them to go crazy with a complete engine overhaul.

Not excusing the disaster that was Fallout 76 of course, that game should not have existed. But i kinda guessed Bethesda was behind the scenes updating their pipeline to take advantage of a huge jump in technology many years ago, as soon as they said that there would not an elder scrolls game this gen.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty graphics doesn't actually mean they're improving the most critical parts of the engine that need improving.

All of their games improved graphically and upgraded the renderer. The core of the engine has just remained there, rotting.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely going to be Hammerfell, which was already obvious to anyone with eyes.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
I just really hope Bethesda reverses their trend of oversimplifying their games.

Fallout 4 had a couple of words for each conversation option. Fallout 76 has no NPCs at all. I fully expect Fallout 5 to be a combination of only enemy creature NPCs and a emoji type of communication system for the handful of human NPCs there are.

NPC: Can you please save my son?!

Player Character: :'(