• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
So If I buy the SE physical on PS4 I can upgrade to the PS5 version for $20?

I own the physical Skyrim: SE on PS4. What it will do is offer you a free upgrade to the PS5 version. That version will have the 4K/60fps, faster load times and 4 pieces of Creation Club Content.

From the main title screen you will have the option to press Square, where it brings you to a page to upgrade to the Anniversary Edition for $20. It's the same game as the free upgrade you were given, just with every piece of Creation Club Content available in the Creation Club shop.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
After spending most of today futzing around with this, here's my report, hopefully others find it useful.

1) I fixed my stuttering problem by switching the Series X from 120hz to 60hz. I don't have any explanation for this, but it has not stuttered a single time since changing it. I actually changed it while the game was running (and stuttering), once I switched from the xbox Settings app back to the game it was instantly cleared up.

2) The mod Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul, or a conflict between it and another mod, is causing me very consistent crashes while running around the over world, seemingly when approaching a load trigger for a new cell/chunk. About 80% of the time coming down the hillside from Riverwood to Whiterun would cause a crash - disabling AI Overhaul fixed this.

3) The mod Divine Cities is causing a 100% crash when entering Dragonsreach in Whiterun. 25-30 times in a row, across different save files, and different mod combinations. It's broken, full stop. Their readme says it "might" happen - it's 100%. Which sucks, as now I can't use any of the other Divine mods that rely on Divine Cities.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Can somebody give me recommendations for a list of mods that would improve the experience, but not really change it in an obvious manner (such as the graphics mods that can change the art style quite a bit)? I'm looking for mods like the unofficial patch mod, since I want a consistent experience that fixes what Bethesda missed.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody give me recommendations for a list of mods that would improve the experience, but not really change it in an obvious manner (such as the graphics mods that can change the art style quite a bit)? I'm looking for mods like the unofficial patch mod, since I want a consistent experience that fixes what Bethesda missed.

Open Cities Skyrim, it removes the load when entering cities and just makes them a part of the world.

Climates of Tamriel, more varied and intense weather effects.

Bandolier - Bags and Pouches, lets you craft/find/buy various pouches of various sizes and styles that you can equip various places on your body. This one is to help alleviate carry weight if you're a pack rat and I think they look cool.

There are many more, I like the Enai mods mentioned earlier though they change some of the gameplay systems in significant ways.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Open Cities Skyrim, it removes the load when entering cities and just makes them a part of the world.

Bandolier - Bags and Pouches, lets you craft/find/buy various pouches of various sizes and styles that you can equip various places on your body. This one is to help alleviate carry weight if you're a pack rat and I think they look cool.

There are many more, I like the Enai mods mentioned earlier though they change some of the gameplay systems in significant ways.

This is great, thanks! The open cities is exactly what I'm looking for.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I haven't noticed any dropped frames in those areas in my Series X. That's with VRR turned off, FYI.

I am getting audio crackle on the main menu and it freezes for a good thirty seconds when you "press any button".

In game the only issue so far is the sky flickering.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This YouTuber says this load order is for "Xbox One", but do they also mean XSX?

I've been using your Google Doc as the main reference for installing mods and in what order, waiting until you've reached a somewhat final consensus before I start diving deep into the game.

Although I'm confused that your list still has
Frostfall: Hypothermia Camping Survival [XB1]
INeed - Food, Water And Sleep (XB1)
INeed - Extended (XB1)

Wouldn't these conflict with the default Survival Mode already included?

Also, for adding in music/audio, where on the list would you generally recommend putting those kinds of mods? I assume they'd be low priority so sticking in the bottom would be best.

I think a major part of the reason I opted into the AE was to try and defeat my decade-long Mind Goblins with Skyrim, as in "Can I actually finish this game without constantly putting it off to cram a million more mods into it?".

Yes there are all Xbox mods at the end of the day. There are truly no Series X specific mods, the thing is there is an issue of loading up the game so much that the Xbox cannot and runs in severe performance issues, Xbox Series X is basically can ignore a lot of this by the nature of being more powerful and brute forcing things that older Xbox cannot.

Your are correct. iNeed and Frostfall definitely conflict with Survival Mode. I just don't use Survival Mode, when you start a new game it asks you if you want to enable it.

Survival Mode strictly deals with harmful weather conditions and needing to eat and sleep, however iNeed increases it a bit further by modifying some the loot tables to remove food from chests and location you normally would not find food in, also adding food spoilage, adding some realistic flair, also drinking water straight from a lake can potentially give you an upset stomach which is a temporary debuff. You can boil water at a cooking pot to sanitize it and store it in a Waterskin (an item iNeed adds to the game) which lets you drink up to 3 times from it before you need to refill it again.

Frostfall not only has the same aspects of Survival Mode require you to avoid cold weather but adds cloaks and some survival oriented gear to add more into the effect of combating harsh cold and weather. It also adds new weather events. Like you are walking in the Whiterun region and storm picks up and it starts raining, you get the damp status, which eventually becomes wet status, and eventually drenched. These factor into keeping warm. Going into a colder region while drench will drastically decrease your resistance to cold and you can and will freeze to death much faster if you were dry for example.

Both iNeed and Frostfall together do far more than Survival Mode alone.

As for your question about music. I stick those in the atmospheric section with the audio stuff like sound effects like Quieter Dungeons and whatnot.

Mods at the absolute bottom of the load order have the highest priority over everything else. Skyrim reads the load order from Top to Bottom. And if you have two mods that do the same thing. The mod closer to the bottom will override the mod above. The only exception to the rule are Master Files. Mods come in two flavors. ESM (Elder Scrolls Master), and (ESP) (Elder Scrolls Plugin)

Plugins are just add-ons that require dependencies of Skyrim.esm itself. ESMs however are treated at the same priority as Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn which are all ESM files.

Some regular mods can require ESMs and some are released as such. For example Frostfall requires Campfire to work so you need both mods active. There is a certain hierarchy to all of this that starts to make sense after awhile.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

I'm interested in Open Cities, but wouldn't that most likely be broken in the new version? I imagine they need to completely replicate all the contents and NPCs in every town, and if some were added in the creator club content or modified in the new version that just released there could be a ton of issues...

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in Open Cities, but wouldn't that most likely be broken in the new version? I imagine they need to completely replicate all the contents and NPCs in every town, and if some were added in the creator club content or modified in the new version that just released there could be a ton of issues...

No it works fine, the update broke SKSE which is PC only and only effects certain mods that require it. Any mod that is available on console works fine on Xbox and PC atm. So no SkyUI but most of the content mods are the same as pre-patch.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Basically Skyrim Anniversary Edition is basically Skyrim SE + Creation Club DLC.

The modding related issues as a result of scripting functions is only a problem with the PC version due to the SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) being broken in the update, which was quickly fixed after the fact.

ESMs and ESPs are entirely unchanged and still work as-is on console, but yes you are correct in if two mods occupy the same space in the in-game world there will be a conflict. Like two buildings in the same spot, loading in the same spot and being a basically a massive clipping thing.

Typically mods like textures like clothing or armor replacements generally prioritize lower load order first, but some can do the same thing but work independently from each other, like one mod that only alters Steel Armor, and another that alters Leather armor, these play nice together because while they do the same thing aren't overstepping each other and causing a conflict.

I've been modding Skyrim for nearly as long as it's been out, my current load order on PC is just shy of 20GB large. So you can imagine the sorts of weirdness I've seen over the years just due to mod conflicts alone.

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
I own the physical Skyrim: SE on PS4. What it will do is offer you a free upgrade to the PS5 version. That version will have the 4K/60fps, faster load times and 4 pieces of Creation Club Content.

From the main title screen you will have the option to press Square, where it brings you to a page to upgrade to the Anniversary Edition for $20. It's the same game as the free upgrade you were given, just with every piece of Creation Club Content available in the Creation Club shop.
Alright, thanks!

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
After the upgrade on XSX Gamepass, I'm happy to report I'm not seeing any problems at all, whether with framerate or crashes. It seems exactly the same as before, I played for around 4 hours today. Just to give a good report after the horror stories in here.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My new Xbox Series X Load Order is done.

All that's left is a matter of play testing and making sure I don't run into any kind of issues or CTDs. I will be updating my older Xbox Modding Thread soon with the latest version of my Load Order. I've did a lot of reading and research on mods and lot of the stuff in my older Xbox Load order has been replaced or updated with comparable alternatives.

I don't know how well this Load Order will work on a Series S, it has the same CPU as a Series X so that isn't my concern but mainly Ram and graphics performance. I am probably shelving / obsoleting any Xbox One X options. I no longer own a One X, so I cannot reliably test it to see how well it would fair, besides one of the mods I had to remove previously which had severe issues on One X has returned in the Series X Load Order, so consider this new Load Order strictly for Series S and X users only.

Will probably have everything ready by tomorrow.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get consistent framerate stutter in the open world. It's fine in caves and interiors, though. This has happened before the update and continues in the update, even when I turn off all mods and fps boost. Any ideas?

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
I get consistent framerate stutter in the open world. It's fine in caves and interiors, though. This has happened before the update and continues in the update, even when I turn off all mods and fps boost. Any ideas?

If you are on Xbox Series console, see if you are set to 120hz. Changing to 60hz fixed my stuttering. Another person said disabling VRR fixed their stutter.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
My new Xbox Series X Load Order is done.

All that's left is a matter of play testing and making sure I don't run into any kind of issues or CTDs. I will be updating my older Xbox Modding Thread soon with the latest version of my Load Order. I've did a lot of reading and research on mods and lot of the stuff in my older Xbox Load order has been replaced or updated with comparable alternatives.

I don't know how well this Load Order will work on a Series S, it has the same CPU as a Series X so that isn't my concern but mainly Ram and graphics performance. I am probably shelving / obsoleting any Xbox One X options. I no longer own a One X, so I cannot reliably test it to see how well it would fair, besides one of the mods I had to remove previously which had severe issues on One X has returned in the Series X Load Order, so consider this new Load Order strictly for Series S and X users only.

Will probably have everything ready by tomorrow.
Would you mind dropping a link to the thread in here once you've updated it?

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Basically Skyrim Anniversary Edition is basically Skyrim SE + Creation Club DLC.

The modding related issues as a result of scripting functions is only a problem with the PC version due to the SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender) being broken in the update, which was quickly fixed after the fact.

ESMs and ESPs are entirely unchanged and still work as-is on console, but yes you are correct in if two mods occupy the same space in the in-game world there will be a conflict. Like two buildings in the same spot, loading in the same spot and being a basically a massive clipping thing.

Typically mods like textures like clothing or armor replacements generally prioritize lower load order first, but some can do the same thing but work independently from each other, like one mod that only alters Steel Armor, and another that alters Leather armor, these play nice together because while they do the same thing aren't overstepping each other and causing a conflict.

I've been modding Skyrim for nearly as long as it's been out, my current load order on PC is just shy of 20GB large. So you can imagine the sorts of weirdness I've seen over the years just due to mod conflicts alone.

Can I add open cities to my existing game, and if I don't like it disable it? Can doing this potentially screw up my save game?

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda digging the creation club survival mode more than I expected and I'm generally not the type of person who is into that kind of stuff. But after playing Skyrim so many times, it kinda adds an extra layer on top of the game making it kinda fresh.

Yamamoto77

Oct 27, 2017
Did you go into creation shop and install everything?

In the end support had me go into settings and restore all my licenses.
I struggle to get my menu icon to turn golden as well... Restored licenses, re-downloaded the game - nothing works. PS5. Digital SE upgraded to AE. I do have access to the Creation Club content but no icon change which annoys me deeply... Any tips out there?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Can I add open cities to my existing game, and if I don't like it disable it? Can doing this potentially screw up my save game?

Removing mods is never a good idea for an existing save. Mods will leave a permanent reference to the mod on your save file and removing the mod doesn't remove the references your save file looks for after the fact.

It's an unfortunate situation but for a bigger explanation, I cover it in post #97 in this thread - https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...ne-x-mods-and-load-order.76031/#post-21911755

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I don't know if it's my memory being terrible but I swear this looks better than it did pre-AE patch on XSX. Did they ever specify what they did beyond 60fps, if anything? Maybe I am just getting lucky with the lighting/weather conditions. Damn this aged well.

If you are on Xbox Series console, see if you are set to 120hz. Changing to 60hz fixed my stuttering. Another person said disabling VRR fixed their stutter.

Yeah something weird happens with Skyrim if your console is set to 120hz output. It's not the frame rate stuttering, it's some other kinda weird ... juddery shifty thing. It would happen to me randomly and sometimes fix by entering and leaving a building. Perhaps it's 120hz+vrr combo that does it.

But since I put the console to 60hz the issue never appeared since (played about 6 hours since then). And leaving VRR or Dolby Vision AutoHDR turned on is fine, it's buttery smooth. Note you have to restart the game if you change the console refresh rate while it's open, or else it stays at original refresh rate. Oh and this is with FPS boost turned off.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Is the VR version even using the SE upgraded engine?

Honestly though, I was stupid and paid the $20 and reinstalled for the first time in years. Played through the intro and immediately uninstalled and instead reinstalled Enderal Special Edition which is such a much better actual game, particularly with the improvements from the SE engine.

No, the VR version is based off the original.

Almost all the graphical effects added to Skyrim SE wouldn't work in VR and would need to be stripped out or completely redone to look right (lens flares, particle smoke, fog, etc) It was probably easier to convert the old game to VR.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Playing on PC using these mods and have also changed a bunch of settings in BETHini. Playing at 3440x1440 at 165fps with no Havok bugs or anything after around 10 hours so far.

JhCasao.png

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I struggle to get my menu icon to turn golden as well... Restored licenses, re-downloaded the game - nothing works. PS5. Digital SE upgraded to AE. I do have access to the Creation Club content but no icon change which annoys me deeply... Any tips out there?

Redownload the CC stuff if you haven't. Other than that I think it's just a bug. If you can access the content in game then you're fine.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any recommended weather mods?

Just as long as they aren't extreme "can't see shit" effects that have you fumbling in the dark with rain and thunder.

Also what's the best mod for having HUD/compass fade in and out?

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Any graphical upgrades to the PC version verus the Special Edition? I'm not sure what "next-gen improvements" means.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Any graphical upgrades to the PC version verus the Special Edition? I'm not sure what "next-gen improvements" means.

Special Edition already had 4K and 60fps options. I think the only additional change was the big decrease in load times.

I own it on PS5 and so far to me it seems like they were being very misleading.

Not sure if because 60fps was enabled via mods they figured "Okay, so technically we can say it's a next gen upgrade".

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I don't know if it's my memory being terrible but I swear this looks better than it did pre-AE patch on XSX. Did they ever specify what they did beyond 60fps, if anything? Maybe I am just getting lucky with the lighting/weather conditions. Damn this aged well.

I haven't noticed any difference and everyone here seems to agree. It's just a really nice looking game.

Also I'm not getting any frame drops even with FPS Boost still enabled so that probably can be left as is.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Special Edition already had 4K and 60fps options. I think the only additional change was the big decrease in load times.

I own it on PS5 and so far to me it seems like they were being very misleading.

Not sure if because 60fps was enabled via mods they figured "Okay, so technically we can say it's a next gen upgrade".
Thanks. Will wait for a sale.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I see Quick Resume is funny with this game so I went from 2 hours played to 10 hours just like that haha!

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the spell book for Bone Colossus.

Anyone here had any luck? The CC description just says you can find the new spells at vendors and in chests.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Skyrim, can't you go 5 minutes without embarrassing yourself?

Skyrim 17 seconds into the video:

Quinton

Specialist at TheGamer / Reviewer at RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar, With Love
No it works fine, the update broke SKSE which is PC only and only effects certain mods that require it. Any mod that is available on console works fine on Xbox and PC atm. So no SkyUI but most of the content mods are the same as pre-patch.

Oh wow.

I do feel terrible for the many PC Skyrim fans, but I figured it'd impact my own experience as well. Knowing that things should still work OK on XSX is <3.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Windhelm still the only place giving me consistent performance issues - so very strange.

I need to do some quests here to see if that forces the city into another "state" but running around here gives me a headache.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Aside from the amazing house outside white run and the farm, I still haven't done any of the CC stuff. I really wish they all had letters sent to you to appear on your log.

Once I clear my werewolf condition and finish the companion storyline for easy skill trainer cheesing, I'll be ready to finally grind out smithing and enchanting and make some godly weapons.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Can't wait to jump into Wildhelm myself. I have mods that not only redid textures there, but also added more structures and people.

If it has issues then I expect it to happen to me too.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to jump into Wildhelm myself. I have mods that not only redid textures there, but also added more structures and people.

If it has issues then I expect it to happen to me too.

I just ran about a bit more and it does smoothen out in certain spots and looking in certain directions.

The cemetary to the west is very uneven and looking at the main centre building as well. It's just very odd as Huey checked yesterday and he said it seemed fine.

But I can deal with it as every other major city has been perfect.

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I installed this just to see what visual upgrades were there, cut to me wandering around doing shit for 2 hours unplanned.

Skyrim is magic

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing on XSX and grabbed the AE content and have had no issues with it. I went to get everything from the CC downloaded for my wife on her account and none of it is showing up as free, but at the same time her account doesn't have a prompt to buy the AE add-on. What am I missing here? Why can't her account access the Creation Club content?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this has already been answered .. but is it now 4K / 60 on the newer consoles without needing the FPS unlocking mods ?