• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

Here's a nice new look at the Elsweyr expansion coming June 4th. A prologue for the expansion was also added within the game that can be played today.

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So hyped for this. NECROMANCER TANK! Finally. Easily my favourite game of the last ten years. And it just keeps getting better. A lot of people cite FFXIV as an example of a fantastic turnaround, but this game was in just as dire straits when it launched and now it's one of the top three MMORPGs on the market.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
There's a monthly fee for this MMO?
It's buy to play, there is a monthly fee that gives you access to DLCs (dungeons and smaller zone DLC), a bottomless craft bag and a sum of crowns (MT store currency), but it's optional.

Oh nice, I just saw that the base game is in a sale on Steam maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Steam version sometimes has problems with logins if you buy it I would recommend just using the game launcher (not the Bethesda launcher). It also has a free to play period (starting March 28th) coming up so you can decide if you want to buy it or not.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
So how is this game.

Is there:

1. PvP zones or PvP everywhere?
  2. Build houses etc?
  3. How is combat?
  4. How is PvE?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buy to play. You can pick and choose what DLC you want. You should probably sub though, for inventory management and other perks. You get all the DLC for free (not new Chapters, just old ones and DLC), for subscribing anyway.
It's buy to play, there is a monthly fee that gives you access to DLCs (dungeons and smaller zone DLC), a bottomless craft bag and a sum of crowns (MT store currency), but it's optional.

Oh this is interesting. If I enjoy the base game I'll propbably sub for it then. Thanks for the answers!

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
So hyped for this. NECROMANCER TANK! Finally. Easily my favourite game of the last ten years. And it just keeps getting better. A lot of people cite FFXIV as an example of a fantastic turnaround, but this game was in just as dire straits when it launched and now it's one of the top three MMORPGs on the market.

Final Fantasy XIV is its own type of bad. The game was a unsalvageable dumpster fire, the dev team was replaced, and the entire game was rebuilt from the ground up and released 3 years later.

ESO wasn't great at launch, but it wasn't -that- dire.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This game and FFXIV make it hard to stick to my rule of never playing MMOs. Give me Elsweyr in a mainline game you cowards!

GustyGardens

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So how is this game.

Is there:

2. Build houses etc?
  3. How is combat?
  4. How is PvE?

The game is fun. Massive, but fun.

There's a specific area of the map that allows for PvP, so you don't have to worry about being ganked while you're out questing.

You can't build houses, but you can buy all sorts of property and decorate them however you like.

Combat is fun. There are tons of abilities and it seems like all of them have their place in the game. You have close range and long range weapons in addition to the abilities. All of that stuff feels good. I prefer using a bow and arrow.

There's a lot of PVE. There's story content that gets added with most new DLC releases. There's also tons of quests that open up as you level up and, like I said earlier, it's massive. There's also delves, dungeons and raids.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So how is this game.

Is there:

2. Build houses etc?
  3. How is combat?
  4. How is PvE?

1. One large PvP zone in the form of Cyrodiil.
2. Yup, they had an update a few years back adding houses. You don't nessecarily build a custom house as get a set type of abode to decoate I believe.
3. Pretty tight in terms of MMO combat. There's mechanics that require spatial awareness, blocking, charged attackes, and of course all the general MMO effects as well. It's not quite the kind of gameplay of the normal Elder Scrolls games but it's quite solid.
4. I think it's absolutely some of the best PVE stuff out there. The story quests are some of the best in the MMO space and fully voice acted and tasks/quests are nicely varied. Great dungeons too

(Disclaimer: I interned on the team years and years ago before it launched, so feel free to take my thoughts with a grain of salt but I really do like ESO)

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
So how is this game.

Is there:

2. Build houses etc?
  3. How is combat?
  4. How is PvE?
- There is dedicated PvP zone, and you can initiate duel with other players anywhere else if both parties agree.
- Houses, you can "buy" rooms and houses, but you can't build a house from scratch, and it's mostly adding furniture/accessories to existing rooms/inns/taverns/homes/mansions.
- Combat is as Elder Scrolls as you'd expect. It's fun. Little clucky/MMO-ish but it's quite fun with lots of skills/abilities to unlock to further advance your playstyle and create a unique character. I am Diablo Witchdoctor fan so my playstyle is similar, summoning multiple creatures to fight for me while I cast spells from far away and use bow/arrow got good measure.
- PvE is as fun as any MMO can get, combined with the depth of TES games. Vast amount of quests that you can partake in alone or with friends/others. All fully dialogued and fun story scenarios that you'd expect from any elder scrolls game. Dungeons are quite fun, and you're bound to get lost in endless missions that are not "go from point A to point B and kill 10 chickens". Missions are quite interesting, at least in Summerset that I've been extensively playing.

If you're thirsty for that MMO experience, get it on sale and get that itch scratched.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
So how is this game.

Is there:

2. Build houses etc?
  3. How is combat?
  4. How is PvE?
1. Most zones are PvE while Cyrodiil the province at the center of the map is world PvP/E with fort sieges, territory control, etc. The Imperial City contained within Cyrodiil is also PvP/E. There's also Battlegrounds which is a smaller scale instance of three teams of four if a more focused game type is what you prefer.
2. You can't build a house, housing is in predetermined locations (but a lot of them), there's a robust crafting system in game that includes furnishing for player homes. You find furniture/blueprints questing the overland, alternatively you can buy them from guild traders (localized auction houses). I have two player homes from the last two DLCs and it's a fun time killer decorating them.
3. Combat is divisive. I find it fun and serviceable, but there's a lot of room for improvement to the combat system. I believe ZoS has a new combat designer. The combat is action based, not tab targeting like WoW. Most skills are instant as opposed to having cast times.
4. PvE is where the game truly excels. Every quest, every piece of dialogue is voice acted and the quest lines are interesting enough. The dungeons and trials are a whole lot of fun. Mechanics for the dungeons and trials elevate the gameplay and make up for any failings of the combat system IMO. If you're not interested in doing dungeons the overland content can be treated as a single player RPG.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Can't wait! I was MMO hopping a while, only sticking with one for a few months before jumping to another, but for the past year or so I've made ESO my home. I do pay for the ESO Plus subscription because I find the bottomless crafting bag invaluable...makes inventory management so much easier plus I don't mind supporting a MMO I enjoy playing.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish that Necromancer would release early. I have no will to play right now because I know I'll be rolling one for the expansion.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wish that Necromancer would release early. I have no will to play right now because I know I'll be rolling one for the expansion.

That's why I stopped playing as well. I don't want to run through all the content I haven't done only to turn around and do it again on another character, and I've been waiting for a Necro type class for a long time.

Monolith

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I stopped playing as well. I don't want to run through all the content I haven't done only to turn around and do it again on another character, and I've been waiting for a Necro type class for a long time.
There's some different dialogue given for a specific race. You could play now and roll a Khajiit for a different experience.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing will be upgrading mount speed and stamina to something useful. I only have four characters, but before I actually play them I upgraded the mount to something tolerable.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Had a chance to play around with the necromancer at GDC.

Necromancer pets are fire-and-forget. Choose a target, cast a summon, and then let your minion do its thing while you move on to the next target.

One important thing to keep in mind when playing a necromancer is that necromancy is frowned upon in Tamriel. You can get away with it in the rural areas, but don't try it in town or near any major settlement with guards around. If you're seen practicing the dark arts, a bounty will be placed on your head, and guards will attempt to kill you. You'll need to pay off the bounty in order to safely walk around in public.

Quickly building a necro on the beta server:

30 minutes of running around at the beginning of the quest line:

Full impressions:
https://worthplaying.com/article/2019/3/28/previews/113555/

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Look, I heard that this game got much better and is actually worth playing. But seriously i just want some games to be single player open world experiences and it hurts my soul that this one had to go this route.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into this. But I never even beat Morrowind and even own Summerset haha.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Look, I heard that this game got much better and is actually worth playing. But seriously i just want some games to be single player open world experiences and it hurts my soul that this one had to go this route.

Every other TES game is SP. Doesn't seem odd that the one with Online in the name is an MMO. ;)

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Just started ESO today. Will take me a while until i'll get to the Elsweyr chapter.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Need to get back into this. I bought Summerset (I got it half off like a month after launch, I was tempted by the hotness of the deal) but haven't even started it. I've been meaning to pick up a month of ESO+ too, I want to play the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this a ton lately on Xbox Loggjaw is the tag if anyone else is there. Day one on the next expansion looks so good this is becoming one of fav games of all time. Just sooo much to do I just hit 50/120? And have done like 3 quests and only one main quest. Rolled a Magik DK DPS I like to start stuff on fire

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Alcast's thoughts on the necromancer with some Elsweyr video.

Last edited:

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
I need to get back into this. But I never even beat Morrowind and even own Summerset haha.

This was me about a month ago, I had played in beta and at launch but only got to level 28. Now after about a month of playing I'm at 160 champion points, and finished Summerset story. hah I like it much more than I did at launch.

Excited for this, and also interested in playing a Necro.

is there a ERA OT/community for ESO?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-elder-scrolls-online-ot-its-tes-vi-vii-viii-and-ix.2123/

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really want to love this game but every time I try it, the combat feels super laggy to me for some reason. It's probably because my ping is all over the place when playing it on the east coast. I need to give it another try sometime.

Oct 27, 2017
Need to get back into this. I bought Summerset (I got it half off like a month after launch, I was tempted by the hotness of the deal) but haven't even started it. I've been meaning to pick up a month of ESO+ too, I want to play the Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood DLCs
Same, Need to get back into it.

VWdrewz

Oct 31, 2017
If I already own the base game how long before I have to worry about any of the DLC's/expansions? Wouldn't mind giving this game another crack as I need something relaxing to play but the DLC packs/expansions are still damn expensive in AUS and not a good time to be spending money unfortunately.

Also, if I like playing rangers/bow & arrow classes what's my best option?

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
If I already own the base game how long before I have to worry about any of the DLC's? Wouldn't mind giving this game another crack as I need something relaxing to play but the DLC packs are still damn expensive in AUS and not a good time to be spending money unfortunately.

Also, if I like playing rangers/bow & arrow classes what's my best option?

I've been playing the last month and as I mentioned above I was level 28 when I started, and just reached 160 champion points, even just the base game has quite a bit to do, if you do all the story quests and things like that. There is also something called Dolmen farming, where you run between 3 areas that spawn mobs and give you a bunch of experience and a chest at the end. There are people running these in certain zones like Alik'r Desert all the time. Each one takes a few minutes and you can travel between the 3 Dolmen areas repeatedly. Some people find the farming boring, but they are pretty good xp and great ways to get some loot and level skills and great for fighters guild experience as well.

check this site for possible builds https://alcasthq.com/

Last edited:

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Cant wait for this to drop on console! Game has become a bit of an obsession for me on Xbox. Still got a couple of quests left in Murkmire, which I intend to mop up over the weekend before jumping into the Elsweyr prologue quest