• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Which would you add/remove?

I would remove:
Halo 3 (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Drop7 (2009)

I would probably include Super Mario World, Minecraft, Counter Strike and WOW.

Scanna

Nov 27, 2017
Not a bad list, but Mario Odyssey is criminally overrated in my opinion (I'm the biggest Mario fan, but that one I really didn't feel anything while playing it), LittleBigPlanet at the time honestly made sense but it just did not age well. I also love to death Skyward Sword and I fully back that 10.
I disagree with most of their reviews, but this list is OK in my book.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Grand Theft Auto IV was amazing.

Little Big Planet seems odd to me. I love the idea but it was never really fleshed out in the worlds people created.
GTA IV was amazing indeed. The solo of V is so bad comparing to this (and the same goes for RDR).

LBP is really weird. There was a promise, sure, and I like this game. But not a perfect score.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
As I was reading the list, I was like:

sure
I can understand that one
Oh, I get it
That one seems mandatory
*record scratch* Skyward Sword?!? Wtf were they thinking?!?

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Skyward Sword should be nowhere near that list. Nor should Dark Souls for that matter.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
People are mixing perfect score at their time and cult classic (so need to age well).

I am surprised to see Rock Band and GT but not more recent driving games. One of Forza probably deserve to be here. I don't know the licence well but what do you think?

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
In what world is Skyward Sword a 10? I didn't think it was a 10 back then and certainly don't think that now.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
I think it's overly generous on both Bayonettas and Mario Odyssey personally, even though I liked all 3. Good gameplay mechanics alone aren't enough for a perfect score in my system :P
Odyssey is IMO completely deserving of the 10. I know, to each his own, but when I remember how much actual joy I had playing that game I can't fathom anyone begrudging it that score.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Seems to be a reasonable list. I think it's important to understand that many of those games were definitely 10/10 at the point in time when they were released. The fact that whether they aged well or not with the passage of time doesn't really matter.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Odyssey is IMO completely deserving of the 10. I know, to each his own, but when I remember how much actual joy I had playing that game I can't fathom anyone begrudging it that score.

My problem with Odyssey specifically was that for every good world there was a boring/badly designed one, eg desert/snow/lake ones. I never really felt that way after finishing the Galaxy games for example

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom
My problem with Odyssey specifically was that for every good world there was a boring/badly designed one, eg desert/snow/lake ones. I never really felt that way after finishing the Galaxy games for example
I honestly loved the desert area. The only underwhelming area for me was the snow area, but even that was far from being a badly designed area, it just wasn't up to the quality of the others.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The funny thing about the too many games argument is that it takes just a second to metacritic and see that high scoring Nintendo games arent unique to just Edge.

7 out of the top 20 of all time belong to Nintendo. It's almost as if they make high quality games.

Everybody has preferences I get that but when dozens of publications converge on giving something like BOTW a perfect score it's worth considering if your individual opinion is the outlier.

Some games aren't for some people but the majority of other people might see those games as classics.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Wow they retoactively rescore games? That's interesting. How do they choose which games to rescore?

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
For me it's mostly a list of truly amazing 9/10 games.
Imho the only real 10/10 ones are:

Super Mario 64
TLoZ Ocarina of Time
The Last of Us
The Orange Box
Boodborne

notBald

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite is by far Half Life 2, but even back in the day I wouldn't have rated it a 10 out of 10.

So I apparently disagree with all the titles on the list.

I used to buy Edge back in the day. Loved their articles, they went into depth on the PlayStation/Saturn/3DO etc in ways other magazines didn't, but I pretty much ignored the reviews. I vaguely recall them giving Doom something like 6 out of 10 because you couldn't talk to the monsters, and now that's a 10 out of 10 game if there is one.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Alot of personal emotion goes into grading a game.
Obviously given enough time some grades will seem odd, but at the time the game would of felt like a 10 to the writer.
Animal Crossing being this positive game about togetherness and helping each other, coming out in a time where a virus is driving us apart, will have some influence on grades for some critics.
A grade is, ultimately, how we feel about a game and not some objective scale.

Last edited:

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I find most of my reasoning tends to line up with their reviews, more or less. I like that their scores are comparatively meaningful too; they don't weigh it to the top of the scale and rarely give out 10/10s.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Slowly plugging away at my Dreams project and can say it definitely deserves every 10 it gets. (I mean Dreams, not my little game lol)

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Persona 5/Royal should be on this list , being one of the best turn based RPG's of all time (also one of the stylish games ever).

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5/Royal should be on this list , being one of the best turn based RPG's of all time (also one of the stylish games ever).

Edge have never exactly been big on jrpgs (arguments about Souls games classifcation aside), although I think they gave the original an 8 which was honestly more than I was expecting from them

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's good arguments for retroactively removing:

LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Rock Band 3 (2010)

And as far as additions:

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (2003)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (2005)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (2008)

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Edge have never exactly been big on jrpgs (arguments about Souls games classifcation aside), although I think they gave the original an 8 which was honestly more than I was expecting from them
Thats fine , everyone has their own opinions, but I feel with P5 , it's an objective great game that deserves a spot on this list (epecially seeing has how games like LBP, GTA4 and Mario O are on it).

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's good arguments for retroactively removing:

LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Rock Band 3 (2010)

And as far as additions:

Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (2003)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (2005)
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (2008)

I think it's fair to have one of the guitar accessory games on there, it was really good fun for that time they were popular, whether that one should be Band 3 I can't say

My own personal list of 10/10s would only include 2 that overlap with Edge's, Ocarina of Time and Dark Souls

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I would remove:
Halo 3 (2007)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Drop7 (2009)

I would probably include Super Mario World, Minecraft, Counter Strike and WOW.

Very PC gamer mentality to remove Halo 3, Breath of the Wild, GTAV, Bayonetta 2 and Mario Odyssey (probably the best games in their respective genres) and then put in CSS lmao

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I feel a bit wierd with the Bayonettas. Like both are 10/10 but none of the Devil May Crys are? I've only played Bayonetta 1 and not sure how it is so much better than DMC, they feel very similar except that I like the demonic lore and story in DMC better.

That's not shitting on Bayonetta, it is a great game, I just wonder what makes Edge raise Bayonetta above DMC and indeed all other games for a perfect score.

Other than that, maybe all 3 Halo's being perfect is a bit wierd I personally thought Halo 3 was a step down a touch from Halo 2.

Also Skyward Sword lol get out.

For the retroactive reviews...where's Perfect Dark! That game was astounding.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Edge is like any other long running games outlet. Edge staff have their own biases and preference, edge is not above ign, GameSpot, gameinformer etc. A 10 from them is just a number from edge.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword is a very uneven game, it has some excellent aspects and others that let it down.
It's perplexing to be in that list while masterpiece like Metroid Prime and F-Zero GX are absent.

Other games are there only due to their popularity at the time (Rock Band 3 and GTAIV)

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just checked metacritic, and yeah they very rarely have given a JRPG a 9.

these are the only ones i could find:
mario & luigi: bowser's inside story
final fantasy 12
xenoblade chronicles
persona 4 golden
dragon quest 9

there's also a few japanese tactical/strategy RPGS that they've given a 9 to:
fire emblem: awakening
disgaea: hour of darkness
fire emblem: fates
final fantasy tactics: war of the lion
fire emblem: three houses

OzBoz

May 29, 2019
GTA4 is probably the biggest mistake. I would like to know why Drop7 got included, too -- an early ad-supported phone game that's been largely forgotten.