• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First, for the games they re-scored. I find that concept ridiculous. They're pretty much saying one of two things, "Oh...a lot of people liked this? Yeah change it to a 10." or "We play games super quick and then review them. When we see how good it really is after actually playing it, we change our scores." Either way, they need to put more effort in their reviews so they feel confident enough to keep them.

And the only actual 10 I disagree with is Rock Band 3 (2010).

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Not a bad list.

Why are games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo missing? Those games were totally revolutionary. Hell, where's Quake, Unreal Tournament or COD:MW, if Halo gets two seats?

Oct 25, 2017
Not a bad list.

Why are games like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Metal Gear Solid, and Gran Turismo missing? Those games were totally revolutionary. Hell, where's Quake, Unreal Tournament or COD:MW, if Halo gets two seats?

GT got a ten.
The others got nines if I'm correct, though I'm not sure about all of them.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That just makes me think that Bayonetta 3 has some high standards to try and reach lol.

GTA IV's high reviews never made sense to me. It always felt like a step back from SA, and nowadays it doesn't even fall into a cult classic category. It just kinda got eclipsed by V, and people remembered that SA was more fun.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While I had much respect for EDGE back in the days I have the feeling they need to be a "rebel" and I dislike it.

Their reviews are sometime are hard and unfair and just cant be followed. Getting a perfect score from EDGE was a big deal but now I lost faith due to the attitude they have.

And in my opinion a fake attitude just to please the view on them as a "rebel" (lets do opposite what everyone else is saying)

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but fucking Rock Band 3 and Skyward Sword don't belong on that list.

Other than those two I can't say I have strong feelings about any game not belonging there.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That just makes me think that Bayonetta 3 has some high standards to try and reach lol.

GTA IV's high reviews never made sense to me. It always felt like a step back from SA, and nowadays it doesn't even fall into a cult classic category. It just kinda got eclipsed by V, and people remembered that SA was more fun.

GTA IV got a 10 because of the drastic jump the GTA series took from SA > IV. V wasn't nearly as jaw dropping because IV already did the surprising parts even though V is a better game (if you don't include the bs that is GTA: Online, which was released far past the EDGE review).

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Don't agree with much on that list but I respect their opinion. I like Edge though. I buy most of their magazines.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never found anything special about GTA IV. I had played the three PS2 GTA's and loved them, and it felt like another one of those with a worse story and much worse driving gameplay. Man, I can't believe people loved that game so much. IMO it's the worst game in this list.

Rock Band 3 was sort of the apotheosis of its genre, so that makes sense to me to give it a 10. It still hasn't been equalled in terms of instruments and vocal options. I love that game.
Did you read my post? I literally said it's flawed/wonky as a game, it's the technology and simulation that the gameplay was wrapped in that made it 'revolutionary'. Which fits as a 10.

First, for the games they re-scored. I find that concept ridiculous. They're pretty much saying one of two things, "Oh...a lot of people liked this? Yeah change it to a 10." or "We play games super quick and then review them. When we see how good it really is after actually playing it, we change our scores." Either way, they need to put more effort in their reviews so they feel confident enough to keep them.

And the only actual 10 I disagree with is Rock Band 3 (2010).
I originally agreed with you (years back when they started doing it) - but with hindsight and more experience of the industry, retroactively changing scores actually makes sense.

For one thing, it's often possible to not see just how revolutionary something is until years after the fact. And remember, 'revolutionary' is their metric for a 10/10. For instance, GTA III is absolutely a good game, but it's pretty clunky and has a bunch of design problems. Their 8/10 is understandable. But it completely changed the course of the industry - and that wasn't clear, arguably, until 5 years later. For another example, when Minecraft first came out it was a relatively niche sandbox game that wasn't played by many people. Now it is literally a cultural zeitgeist just as much as GTA.

For a second thing, games are far more malleable entities now that can change over years.

Last edited:

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Accurate for the most part, given when they were released. Only one I'd disagree with is Skyward Sword.

Clix

Banned
Skyward Sword is ludicrous and definitely their 10 that will age the worst. I wonder if people will cool off on Odyssey a little too.

AKA I didn't care as much for the game as others did, so everyone is clearly wrong?

Odyssey deserves it. Last time the franchise got such a burst of energy was when Galaxy came out and that was ten years ago.

Skyward Sword also deserves it. It depends on ether you enjoyed the motion controls or not.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017

How about: our opinions on something changed after reflecting on it for many, many years? Also, are those responsible for re-scoring them the same people that scored them in the first place?

That said, the concept of rescoring games is a bit weird. Can we not imagine that games are among the greatest of all time without calling them 10/10?

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Little big planet.. I just don't get it. I showed it to my mate as well thinking he'd like it (and these days I'm crying out for a good couch co-op game that doesn't look like a 16 bit throwback)

He enjoys games with costumes and customisation(Which to be honest isn't my bag) and he couldn't get over the games' floaty jumping and the fact it forces you to the background and foreground randomly.

Sorry I don't see it with that franchise. It's charming and well presented for sure but not a 10/10 by a long shot.

The last of us: Couldn't get into this either, it's very well voice acted and the production value is through the roof but I'd rather be playing the walking dead from telltale if I'm honest. Not my type of game but It does probably deserve the score, I'm just giving my thoughts.

Think I'm good with everything else that I've played.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Of the games I've played, it's mostly the sequels that I don't feel belong. SMG2 I didn't love like the first. Bayo 2 was very good, but 10 is definitely overselling it (especially since things like Ninja Gaiden Black or DMC3 aren't on the list). Halo 3... Again very good, but also has its share of disappointments. Also none of those games is particularly revolutionary.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Only one (two if you count the rescores) of my greats make the list. However, it is littered with the games that are (in my opinion) hugely overrated. I would say it is fine. It is very typical in a lot of ways. Very "safe". It seems like they are pretty vulnerable to hype.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
It's console centric, Nintendo slanted and doesn't live up to their own standard of "revolutionary" when it includes straight line sequels like SMG2 and Rock Band 3 as well as misses in execution like Skyward Sword. It also feels like a cop out to re-score.

In short I think they're the new Famitsu, a publication who's reviews get an exaggerated prominence when they're no better at objectively determining quality than the vast majority of other review outlets.

But I do like almost all the games on the list so they don't have bad taste.

Nosgotham

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Little big planet was great but those controls should have stopped it from ever getting a 10.

Solid list though

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even though I don't agree with all of these I can see how you can make an argument for any of these games.
Except for Little Big Planet. It's a 2D platformer with straight-up mediocre to bad gameplay.

Super Mario Maker also was the more intuitive level creator tool a few years later with way way better gameplay.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you read my post? I literally said it's flawed/wonky as a game, it's the technology and simulation that the gameplay was wrapped in that made it 'revolutionary'. Which fits as a 10.

I read your post. I didn't think GTA IV did anything revolutionary in 2008, and hindsight hasn't changed my opinion. It's definitively iterative to me.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EDGE magazine is known for it's tough reviews, as they typically put the entire scale to use. For instance, a game could get a 6 and is still considered above average.

Thus, it's well known that a 10/10 score is very rare from them. Since 1996, they've only given around 20 10s. It's worth it to note, however, that EDGE doesn't consider a 10/10 perfect, instead, the word they use is revolutionary.

Here is the list:

Super Mario 64 (1996)
Gran Turismo (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)
Half-Life 2 (2004)
Halo 3 (2007)
The Orange Box (2007)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
Grand Theft Auto IV (2008)
LittleBigPlanet (2008)
Bayonetta (2009)
Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
Rock Band 3 (2010)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2011)
The Last of Us (2013)
Grand Theft Auto V (2013)
Bayonetta 2 (2014)
Bloodborne (2015)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Super Mario Odyssey (2017)

Aditionally, these games were rescored retroactively and received a 10:

Elite (1984)
Exile (1988)
Super Mario Bros. (1985)
GoldenEye 007 (1997)
Advance Wars (2001)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Drop7 (2009)
Red Dead Redemption (2010)
Super Street Fighter IV (2010)
Dark Souls (2011)

Overall, it looks pretty respectable to me, even the games I haven't played I can tell are generally revered. The only two that kind of puzzle me are GTAIV and LOZ:SS. Also, the lack of Metroid Prime is sad :/

So, what are your thoughts on the fabled EDGE 10s?

Thirty 10's in 22 years is too many in my opinion. Of course, I have never ever given a game a perfect 10 nor would I ever because to me, a 10 is perfect and no game is perfect, past, present or future. I don't go past 9.5/10 personally and those are very rare for me. I can see magazines and outlets going up to 9.8/10 but should never go past that and could still use "revolutionary" in the review and score.

As for all those thirty games, I would only give them to the following - Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT and the original Halo because they were truly revolutionary at the time. The rest not so much and when you think about it, just like the present day, there's nothing that hasn't already been done before. They are missing a few games though. The original Metal Gear Solid should definitely be on the list as should Final Fantasy VII.

Those five games are revolutionary to me and funny thing is that outside of MGS, I don't even care about those other four games but I know what they were and meant at the time. The majority of that list is just a joke and doesn't deserve all that praise simply because there's either better games or they just aren't "revolutionary". After Mario 64 and Zelda OOT, I don't see any other Mario or Zelda game being "revolutionary". They were THEN. NOT NOW simply because it's already been done.

I look at SMB and GoldenEye 007 for example but laugh because they didn't include SMB 3 or Perfect Dark 64 which are both superior to the previous two mentioned games but yet, they include nearly every Mario and Zelda game after Mario 64 and OOT? Sorry but no way.

10/10 scores to me are almost handed out like candy. It's a joke and truly takes away from what the rating is meant to be. Sadly, Nintendo is heavily favored in that list and while I can easily agree with Mario 64 and OOT, nothing that has come since is revolutionary. They are all basically the same just in a different way with the same exact objectives every game - rescue Princess Peach/Zelda and defeat Bowser/Ganon. Sorry but to me that's not revolutionary and if anything, it's a joke.

SM64 and OOT are revolutionary in spite of that same objective simply because they were what truly showcased what 3D Third Person games could truly be in visuals, gameplay, audio, etc. but in no way, shape or form were they revolutionary for the main objective of the game. In that regard, every Mario and Zelda has been exactly the same for 30 years.

So for me, ONLY Mario 64, Zelda OOT, Halo in addition to MGS and FFVII should also be on the list due to being revolutionary and outside of MGS, im not even playing favorites. The rest, sorry but nope.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Rock Band 3 was sort of the apotheosis of its genre, so that makes sense to me to give it a 10. It still hasn't been equalled in terms of instruments and vocal options. I love that game.

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

I don't get into aguing about ranking or 'best of' lists much because it's all opinion and anyone can create their own have it hotly contested.

However, to me, many of the "Sorry, no" comments with no actual comments on what the game offered strike me as those who simply don't care for the genre. If you followed the genre and don't just laugh it off, it's not an oddity. It's just a genre many love to hate for some reason I'll never understand. Someone could make the most awesome music rhythm game ever and you would still get plenty of, "lol, go play real guitar" posts.

I would like to see some people elaborate on why they feel it doesn't belong.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People will always disagree on reviews, but I thought the fact they revised GoldenEye and Resident Evil 4 to 10/10 was interesting. As was their commentary, which I don't fully agree with but makes for interesting reading nonetheless.

Resident Evil 4 - is best described as the bridge between then and now; PS1 controls with a next-generation camera angle, creative liberties in a time of escalating budgets, Dreamcast QTEs in a world as detailed and original as anything built for 2013 - every inch rusted, burned, abandoned or rotten, all of it somehow touched by death. Resident Evil 4 created the modern third person shooter, killed the survival-horror genre and became the benchmark by which all videogame campaigns are measured. And all bar a few come up short.

GoldenEye 007 - Like many games of its era, GoldenEye hasn't aged so well visually. The ground beneath your feet looks like a single 100-pixel texture has been stretched across the entire stage, every outdoor section is shrouded in heavy gof, and the polygonal Brosnans, Beans and Coltranes that once inspired wonder now induce chuckles. But the magic endures. Let your eyes adjust and it's an easier game than you remember, its enemies witless, the auto-aim wonderfully generous. And then it hits you: we weren't just learning a game back then, but an entire language - one in which we're now fluent, because it's modern videogaming's mother tongue. GoldenEye is a seminal piece of work, the first great console FPS and, in local multiplayer, the last one, too.

Their original 9/10 GE review can be found here - https://goldeneyedecoded.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/review-edge-issue-48-august-1997.html

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't have a particular problem with any of those games, except Skyward Sword. Like what the fuck? Literally the worst Nintendo made Zelda. Handholdy, padded bullshit with a gimmick that doesn't work correctly 100% of the time.

Kongroo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Really solid list.

I do find Drop 7's inclusion incredibly odd. It's an above average mobile mobile game. Nothing about it is spectacular in the slightest to me.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to how rare they used to be, I'd say they've gotten too soft and generous. For me, I like a 10/10 to be a landmark moreso than some bland, polished idea of "perfection."

Too much emphasis on big production value, big hype games in recent years. Both GTAs, RDR, LBP, TLOU -- all hype, all would get the axe. The Orange Box, Halo 3, Rock Band 3... these just feel like make-up Oscars, placing too much reward on small incremental refinements.

Stuff like Halo: CE, RE4, Dark Souls -- that's the type of stuff I'd keep it to. If you're going to include a Rockstar game, it has to be from the PS2 era, where they completely redefined the industry and weren't bogged down with tedious bullshit.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever review Wii Sports? I'm a little surprised they didn't go back and give it a re-appraisal, given the rest of their retrospective list.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
GTA 4 having a perfect score is laughable but everyone was drinking the Kool-Aid with that game (myself included) so like, that gets a pass.

Skyward Sword though? That's a controversial pick to say the least.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
They have a very good relationship with Nintendo which I suppose paints them in a little biased way but I really like their approach to reviewing - you may or may not agree with a number at the end of review but the writing is always very elegant and critiques the games fairly, if tough.

While most reviews are still stuck to the same formula from 15 years ago - story/gameplay/graphics/value for your money - EDGE was one of first publications to critique and review games in a more journalistic manner. I bought the magazine in May 2008(2007?) and it was a revelation - it read and looked (still does) like a magazine covering an interest you may consider intellectual (would you believe!).

I think list is mostly solid - though they tend to get overexcited about some games and honour the titles with Gravitas. A lot of those games also had very lengthy, exhaustive features and kinda makes you wonder if the relationship with the developer would make an impact too (LittleBigPlanet?).

I remember that Skyward Sword review and funnily enough their "it deserves a ten" punchline was basically praising how Metroid SS was - a series that never got a ten from the publication.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all of them except for Skyward Sword, I personally just never liked the controls and could never get into it. As for the rest, 10/10 for their time is about right. I'd only add The WItcher 3, Metroid Prime, and Melee, as all of those three are about as revolutionary as much of the list. But overall, very good choices, especially games like Little Big Planet and Halo 3 which don't get anywhere near as much credit as they deserve.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
My thought on the Edge 10 is that 10's from Edge still mean something. That pretty much says it all.

Only other site I can think of where a 10 opens eyes is Gamespot (the old Gamestop, when it was still respected).

wavebeam

Nov 9, 2017
It's shocking to me RE4 didn't get a 10 from them initially. When the press got their hands on a demo just ahead of release and the first reports started coming out it was pretty apparent it was going to be a special game.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gonna go against LBP detractors here

That game was incredible, and very innovative. Not without its flaws but co-op through random levels and discovering such creativity made by the user community was amongst the best gaming memories I have

It's not perfect but a 10 doesn't mean perfect

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's shocking to me RE4 didn't get a 10 from them initially. When the press got their hands on a demo just ahead of release and the first reports started coming out it was pretty apparent it was going to be a special game.
You can read their original review here:

So, is this what we were expecting from Capcom – a revolution in survival horror? No. Its dialogue is as whiffily cheesy as ever, and its storyline is shot through with holes. It's disappointing, too, to be apparently offered so much freedom right at the very beginning of the game, with its open forest landscapes, only to be firmly ushered along within invisible boundaries. And the scenery around you can be just as illogical as it ever was in prerendered form, leaving you no choice but to constantly push Kennedy up against every object in the vicinity in order to see if this or that particular drawer or cupboard can or cannot be opened and plundered.

If it is an interactive movie, then, it's an interactive B-movie, but one filled with sights, sounds and thrills that will linger in the memory long after the content of more sophisticated titles has been forgotten. It is so mesmerisingly fraught, so keen to throw things in your face with such frequency, that it can make you feel exhausted after a few hours of consistent play. Exhausted, but with a satisfied smile on your face.

9/10

https://web.archive.org/web/20140523064121/http://www.edge-online.com/review/resident-evil-4-review/

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I mean, one thing I hate about lists like these is that it seems to skip over certain areas. I consider some of these pretty revolutionary.

The lack of any Moba and MMO, noticeably LoL and WoW is kind of strange.
Pokemon, also notable is Pokemon Go as well is stupidly big despite dying off.
Minecraft deserves a place here as well.
Long term free to play with continuous support and community should probably be worth considering such as: Path of Exile & Warframe