• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
Disappointment remake is easy money off of suckers. The fact that release month doesn't count seals it.
I'm confident FFVIIR will launch in Q1 2020, Schreier's even hinted at it, so the question is whether Square Enix will announce a specific release date this far out. Based on FFXV's release date announcement (6 months in advance, though it was later delayed an extra 2 months) and KH3's release date announcement (over 7 months in advance), I don't think it's a bad bet to say they will.
LOL, what'd I tell you?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So the FFVIIR date was announced at the concert. Does that mean the bet is decided as no even if they mention the date at the SE conference?

Oct 27, 2017
All my friends that went in hard on "No Final Fantasy 7 Release Date", we are getting paid tonight:

Well, probably paid tonight. I imagine the release date will be at the end of the trailer this evening, and they're saving a gameplay deep dive for the Square press conference.

We made bank my friend congrats. I went all in on this one with $400, how about you?

So the FFVIIR date was announced at the concert. Does that mean the bet is decided as no even if they mention the date at the SE conference?

Counts as a no. Damiani asked about it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, release date needs to be during the SqEnix conference. But if it gets announced at the concert it's getting announced during SqEnix, so... yeah. Bet won't be decided until the conference though.
When Bosman specified that the concert didn't count, I took it to mean that it wouldn't count if the date was released their prior to E3. Because the other interpretation doesn't make any sense — he would have been clarifying with the presumption that the date might be mentioned at the concert but not the press conference? Of course they will repeat the date if it was revealed prior to E3?

If you take the bet (as phrased) at its literal face value then yeah, a release date will probably be at the conference....but that hardly seems like it was really the intent or spirit of the actual wager.

May 30, 2018
When Bosman specified that the concert didn't count, I took it to mean that it wouldn't count if the date was released their prior to E3. Because the other interpretation doesn't make any sense — he would have been clarifying with the presumption that the date might be mentioned at the concert but not the press conference? Of course they will repeat the date if it was revealed prior to E3?

If you take the bet (as phrased) at its literal face value then yeah, a release date will probably be at the conference....but that hardly seems like it was really the intent or spirit of the actual wager.

Bet says "Will Finally Fantasy VII Remake announce a release date?" and Bets only apply to the major conferences (except Star Wars which also counted for EA Play). When Kyle says it doesn't count for the concert, he just means in the off chance they announce at the concert but then for some insane reason don't show/announce a date during the conference.

That won't happen, so it's essentially a confirmed YES, but since I have to maintain the integrity of the site in accordance with Bet Law, it won't be confirmed and live on the site until the date is announced during SqEnix's conference. And if hell does freeze over and there's no announcement... I would love to say NO, but would instead defer to the Council.

(None of that will be necessary)

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We made bank my friend congrats. I went all in on this one with $400, how about you?
I bet $420, so sadly I don't think I will be able to beat Huber's total since the Microsoft-Nintendo bet had better odds.

There's also the chance that the FF7 date goes to council over the issue of timing, so as may have won nothing at all. Which is annoying because I picked the FF7 bet specifically because there didn't seem to be any loopholes or room for interpretation, since Bosman said the concert didn't count.

May 30, 2018
i rewatched Damiani's section of the Betting Special and i am concerned at the "not at E3" NO and confirmation-ish answer from Kyle and Huber. it is honestly confusing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bet says "Will Finally Fantasy VII Remake announce a release date?" and Bets only apply to the major conferences (except Star Wars which also counted for EA Play). When Kyle says it doesn't count for the concert, he just means in the off chance they announce at the concert but then for some insane reason don't show/announce a date during the conference.
Except why would Bosman even state that, since it only really muddies the issue for both people who want to vote YES and NO. Like, there's no reason for anyone watching to assume he's trying to cover the bizarre happenstance where SquareEnix somehow goes the whole conference without mentioning an already announced date. Damiani Voted NO on FF7 and Bosman immediately asks him directly if he thinks it will be at the concert instead, which goes to show that even Bosman considers the concert falling in the side of NO.

I'd additionally argue that the word "announcement"in the bet implies new information. For them to merely repeat established information does not constitute an announcement.

I don't mind waiting for a ruling though, and thanks for running the betting site :)

May 30, 2018
Except why would Bosman even state that, since it only really muddies the issue for both people who want to vote YES and NO. Like, there's no reason for anyone watching to assume he's trying to cover the bizarre happenstance where SquareEnix somehow goes the whole conference without mentioning an already announced date. Damiani Voted NO on FF7 and Bosman immediately asks him directly if he thinks it will be at the concert instead, which goes to show that even Bosman considers the concert falling in the side of NO.

I'd additionally argue that the word "announcement"in the bet implies new information. For them to merely repeat established information does not constitute an announcement.

I don't mind waiting for a ruling though, and thanks for running the betting site :)

yeah i understand this angle now after rewatching that segment. it still seems off to me. going to see if i can get an answer before E3's end but as of now i won't feel confident ruling one way or another even after the trailer during the conference tomorrow.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017

Probably because he forgot the concert was before the press conference.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Yeah, I feel in this context you, by definition, cannot 'announce' or 'confirm' the exact same piece of information twice.

MrMette

Oct 29, 2017
Belgium
God dammit, I can't believe the biggest wager I had was on FF7. I was so damn sure hahahaha.
Me too. Let's hope they vote that it doesn't count as it was revealed at the concert.
I am also not convinced they will actually release the game at the date they just announced, but that's a whole other can of worms.

I just can't get myself to trust Square Enix release dates any more (which is also the reason why I voted no).

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I should've just done what Huber did

What was I thinking going against Huber at E3

SonicThrust

Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Put a ton down on the over for Phil Spencer introduction but also have been burned by Halo Infinite's disappointing showing (no gameplay at all!? Basically just a cutscene? Come on!)

Huber the prophet though. Everyone else just waiting to see how long their monologue is.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
h/t TheDarkKnight
The FFVII Remake Twitter account said it's an announcement. Anything in the conference would thus be a confirmation, not an announcement.

Letter of the law, baby (Kyle was innocent!).

Also, I didn't post this earlier, but here's my dumb ballot
2lcCDx1.png
I would be consistent on the letter of the law aspect even if I had voted yes xp

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have 0 Don bucks but I'm doing well so far. The only ones that are done that I bet money on aren't updated yet, but I won them (romantic scene and Phil Spencer)

May 30, 2018
I have 0 Don bucks but I'm doing well so far. The only ones that are done that I bet money on aren't updated yet, but I won them (romantic scene and Phil Spencer)

both of these are also open to interpretation so i can't call them until the Council decides, especially since they weren't even sure live (no consensus) about the 12 Minutes trailer

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I feel in this context you, by definition, cannot 'announce' or 'confirm' the exact same piece of information twice.
Yeah. I don't think anyone would reasonably say that Jedi: Fallen Order's release date was "announced" today just because it had a trailer at the Microsoft conference. It was announced Saturday at EA Play and then restated in a new trailer today.

If you want to go by the most literal definition of "announcement" then yeah maybe every known fact is being perpetually announced, but that seems like a silly way to interpret it.
Probably because he forgot the concert was before the press conference.
this seems like the most likely scenario.
It seems unlikely that he would forget that, since what most people suspect is that FF7 will follow the same release pattern as KH3 — trailer and release date at the concert, then more trailers at conferences.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was sure of no Nintendo at MS, went with 120, but didn't believe enough in myself, went back to 80 and bet 40 on Todd apologizing. What a mistake...

Also, @ the FF thing. I would think being announced at the concert means the date can't be announced at E3 anymore as well. You can't "announce" something that was already announced, Luigi's Mansion showing up in the Nintendo Direct won't be an announcement of it because it was already previously announced in another different event. I feel like Damiani was fully aware of this and the concert as well.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, @ the FF thing. I would think being announced at the concert means the date can't be announced at E3 anymore as well. You can't "announce" something that was already announced, Luigi's Mansion showing up in the Nintendo Direct won't be an announcement of it because it was already previously announced in another different event. I feel like Damiani was fully aware of this and the concert as well.
Yeah, that is the most fair way to think of it. Announcements can only happen once. If another event or press conference repeats an announcement that is just old news being re-iterated.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I should've just done what Huber did

What was I thinking going against Huber at E3

I don't regret going All-In on FF7, but it would have been much more thrilling to match Huber's bet and watch the MS E3 conference on pins and needles. "No Nintendo" was probably the best bet anyone could have made.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
fireworksordie can you make tiebreakers on the leaderboard be decided by # of bets correct? And the inverse for the bets champion (where most Don bucks is the tie breaker). That would make sense to me. They could still share the same "rank number", but their order that they appear on the ladder could be decided by the tiebreaker.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The Final Fantasy VII bet is pretty obvious. Even if they talk about the release date in the conference, it wouldn't be an announcement, but merely a reaffirmation. You can't announce something twice. Case closed.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Of course you can announce something twice. Look at the dictionary definition of announce, it says nothing about it being the first time something has been said.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Of course you can announce something twice. Look at the dictionary definition of announce, it says nothing about it being the first time something has been said.

Definition of announce:

transitive verb
1: to make known publicly

It has already been made known publicly, thus it is announced and can't be announced again.

DON'T FIGHT ME ON THIS BOY, I'VE GOT A LOT OF MONEY ON THE LINE! 😂

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
All my friends that went in hard on "No Final Fantasy 7 Release Date", we are getting paid tonight:

Well, probably paid tonight. I imagine the release date will be at the end of the trailer this evening, and they're saving a gameplay deep dive for the Square press conference.

Put down $100 on this baby. WE RICH NO-
Yeah, release date needs to be during the SqEnix conference. But if it gets announced at the concert it's getting announced during SqEnix, so... yeah. Bet won't be decided until the conference though.
Yo the "announcement" has been made. If it gets mentioned in the Square show again then it's just reiteration.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
can anyone even get close to huber now? seems like all of them are pretty much locked into doing 5 minutes.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Definition of announce:

transitive verb
1: to make known publicly

It has already been made known publicly, thus it is announced and can't be announced again.

DON'T FIGHT ME ON THIS BOY, I'VE GOT A LOT OF MONEY ON THE LINE! 😂

"make a formal public statement about a fact, occurrence, or intention."

Doesn't require it being the first time.

Even if they "reannounce" it, reannouncing is a form of announcement.

1. To announce again
2. (intransitive) To issue a second or subsequent announcement

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
can anyone even get close to huber now? seems like all of them are pretty much locked into doing 5 minutes.
With one bet Huber knocked out every ally except one.... Kyle.

Payouts spoilers?
2FUR4tA.png

credit to ClarkZuckerberg on the Uneasyalliance subreddit

Kyle will have to win almost every single bet though lol

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017

if you think they arent going to reannounce the release date when they show the game off tonight, i have a bridge to sell you. The exact date will be in Squeenix's conference. i suppose the committee could decide on whether that was when it was announced, given it was announced during the concert. I think that would be harsh though. A release date has been announced, it will be announced again at the conference.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Doing pretty well so far.
0vM7BGZ.png
I probably lost the Spencer bet, I think he said his first word before 24 seconds were over, though he didn't properly start his speech until after so I'm still holding out hope lol.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I got my Don Bucks from the no character from Episode IV bet, now I just need a romantic scene to be interrupted and nothing new from Retro and my big bets will have paid off at least (as well as my Final Bet, of course).

cB26rTw.png

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
if you think they arent going to reannounce the release date when they show the game off tonight, i have a bridge to sell you. The exact date will be in Squeenix's conference. i suppose the committee could decide on whether that was when it was announced, given it was announced during the concert. I think that would be harsh though. A release date has been announced, it will be announced again at the conference.

damiani clarified if it would still count as announced if they announce beforehand during the concert and they said it wouldn't. It's a confirmed no.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
"Smash Mouth will be added to Smash, with Guy Fieri as an echo fighter" as one of the final bets

Imagine the songs we'd get

lmao

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
h/t TheDarkKnight
The FFVII Remake Twitter account said it's an announcement. Anything in the conference would thus be a confirmation, not an announcement.

Letter of the law, baby (Kyle was innocent!).

Also, I didn't post this earlier, but here's my dumb ballot
2lcCDx1.png
I would be consistent on the letter of the law aspect even if I had voted yes xp

I hoping this goes to council. They announced it first at the concert, so the re-announcement at the conference shouldn't count.

May 30, 2018
fireworksordie can you make tiebreakers on the leaderboard be decided by # of bets correct? And the inverse for the bets champion (where most Don bucks is the tie breaker). That would make sense to me. They could still share the same "rank number", but their order that they appear on the ladder could be decided by the tiebreaker.

since there are still a ton of bets to be decided i'm not super concerned about this but we'll see. i also don't entirely agree that the tiebreaker of same amount of bucks won should be the one who got the most correct, since someone who went big on barely anything should have the same chance at winning against someone who split over a bunch. right now the sort order for the tiebreakers is random.

Put down $100 on this baby. WE RICH NO-

Yo the "announcement" has been made. If it gets mentioned in the Square show again then it's just reiteration.

i've posted and tweeted a bunch on this since that post you quoted - i'm leaning more towards the NO now but i don't have the confidence to do so unless i get proper confirmation from the Allies.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Spencer took 30 seconds before his speech right? He said "OK" twice before but didn't start his monologue until 30 seconds in.