• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
4zFaltT.jpg

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that Nintendo does have some presence during their conference, but they somehow avoid directly saying Nintendo so everyone's just on edge waiting for it the entire time.

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
I think there's a far better chance of Microsoft turning up in the Nintendo Direct than the other way round.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As for the dispute, I think it'll come down to whether he references it or not. If it shows him playing with a Bowser toy then I think that counts, if the Bowser toy is just sitting in the background then that's been ruled out already.
Part of the problem with the bet is the distinction there is to be made between references, acknowledgements, and jokes. if he wears a Bowser shirt is that a joke? If he says "I'm Nintendo's newest Bowser" is that a joke?

The other problem is that they can make a joke about his name without Bowser being the one that makes the joke. If they are doing a Mario Maker demo and the voiceover says "You can even put Bowser in a level" and a picture of Doug Bowser appears......does that mean Bowser made the joke? If Doug Bowser exits the video and Mario steps in frame to say, "So long, King Bowser!" then is Bowser or Mario making the joke?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Part of the problem with the bet is the distinction there is to be made between references, acknowledgements, and jokes. if he wears a Bowser shirt is that a joke? If he says "I'm Nintendo's newest Bowser" is that a joke?

The other problem is that they can make a joke about his name without Bowser being the one that makes the joke. If they are doing a Mario Maker demo and the voiceover says "You can even put Bowser in a level" and a picture of Doug Bowser appears......does that mean Bowser made the joke? If Doug Bowser exits the video and Mario steps in frame to say, "So long, King Bowser!" then is Bowser or Mario making the joke?

You bring up some good questions...

...that I've got no clue how to answer.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a far better chance of Microsoft turning up in the Nintendo Direct than the other way round.
They just need to say the word Nintendo. Announcing a Minecraft update and making reference to cross play with Nintendo Switch would count.

The word Nintendo is getting spoken during MS conf. Book it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They just need to say the word Nintendo. Announcing a Minecraft update and making reference to cross play with Nintendo Switch would count.

The word Nintendo is getting spoken during MS conf. Book it.
Why would they say the word Nintendo? Why would they bring up cross play when Minecraft has had cross play for years now?

I think the one thing that could save Huber is that the word must literally be spoken. Microsoft can showcase their products with a Nintendo Switch logo at the end, and he still wins. The problem is that even a tiny little crossover (Ori on Switch, Gamepass on Switch, Banjo-Kazooie in Smash) means that he is absolutely sunk.

I'm honestly curious if Microsoft has mentioned Nintendo by name before, but there's no way I'm going to watch the last 3-4 years of E3 press conferences just to find out.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new system is great and it should be future proof. I would have liked the belt to be there if it's still the prize for the winner and I miss the fun shouting/wrestling promo showdown Huber and Kyle used to do at the end of these specials.
Betting system is future proof, but I have no idea how they are going to determine the odds in the future. Polling the patreons worked this time, but in the future people taking the poll will try to skew the odds by voting wrong on the easy questions.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

Bowser shirt - not a joke
"I'm Nintendo's newest Bowser" - joke
The other ones in the second paragraph -not Doug Bowser making the joke; doesn't count.

This doesn't seem difficult to me. If Doug Bowser himself makes a Bowser-related joke, people who said "yes" will be correct

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Betting system is future proof, but I have no idea how they are going to determine the odds in the future. Polling the patreons worked this time, but in the future people taking the poll will try to skew the odds by voting wrong on the easy questions.

True, but I think appealing to the Patrons to vote truthfully and not try to manipulate things might work. There's nothing to gain there and it would be hard to coordinate to make an impact.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Bowser shirt - not a joke
"I'm Nintendo's newest Bowser" - joke
The other ones in the second paragraph -not Doug Bowser making the joke; doesn't count.

This doesn't seem difficult to me. If Doug Bowser himself makes a Bowser-related joke, people who said "yes" will be correct

If he has a Bowser shirt and references the Bowser shirt non-verbally does that count? I personally think it would seeing as jokes aren't inherently verbal.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I am all in on no one giving a shit about load times, baby

y8beEzP.png

Excellent work with the site. Great idea, smooth execution making everything nice and easy, and total degenerate fun!

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
Why would they say the word Nintendo? Why would they bring up cross play when Minecraft has had cross play for years now?

I think the one thing that could save Huber is that the word must literally be spoken. Microsoft can showcase their products with a Nintendo Switch logo at the end, and he still wins. The problem is that even a tiny little crossover (Ori on Switch, Gamepass on Switch, Banjo-Kazooie in Smash) means that he is absolutely sunk.

I'm honestly curious if Microsoft has mentioned Nintendo by name before, but there's no way I'm going to watch the last 3-4 years of E3 press conferences just to find out.
I feel like Microsoft likes to expound on their past successes. I can already hear Phil talking about how they've already expanded the way you play with crossplay before leading up to some new Game Pass/xCloud play anywhere with anyone kind of spiel.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone made scorecards for each of the Allies cast members?

I feel like this is probably the first E3 where we will be able to definitively declare a winner as soon as the Nintendo Direct is over.

Oct 26, 2017
VJf9yT2.png

Piggy backed on Don's final bet, and put everything on FFVII not getting a hard date. There's no way, release window at best.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
CuJHWSc.png

No chance in hell Square puts a date on FF7.

Also, Huber is a crazy person putting it all on that one. Damiani made a great point that if anything they show is coming to Switch, they'll have to mention Nintendo.

LMAO @ "It's cyberpunk so they'll pull back from the freaking and you'll have 50 Jon Hamm's watching"

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
What if Doug Bowser stomps onto the screen wearing a spiky turtle shell and spiky bracelets and a red hair metal wig, while breathing CGI fire and sporting an orange spray-on tan, and Koopa Road plays in the background, and then Bill Trinen in a red shirt and blue overalls and fake mustache grabs Doug by the butt, spins him around and throws him into a bomb, does that count as a Bowser joke?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
What if Doug Bowser stomps onto the screen wearing a spiky turtle shell and spiky bracelets and a red hair metal wig, while breathing CGI fire and sporting an orange spray-on tan, and Koopa Road plays in the background, and then Bill Trinen in a red shirt and blue overalls and fake mustache grabs Doug by the butt, spins him around and throws him into a bomb, does that count as a Bowser joke?

Only if Trinen yells, "SO LONG, KING BOWSER!!" while he does it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If we're all just posting ticket

dJK9U3R.png

Tried to stay mostly away from small bets.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Feeling good about Damiani's final bet for some reason. Nintendo isn't going to follow up Super Mario Odyssey with "Super Mario 3D World 2". Odyssey sold too well. It will get a sequel, and we probably don't have too long to wait.

ShadyK54

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
GAH, there's a betting special thread. Here is mine:

XOmLWqc.png

The Betting Special this year was fantastic, from the opening to the last bit.

Streams starting tomorrow, I can't wait!!

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
What does the ? column mean in the template? I did a bet a row, but the ? shows a red X, despite me putting a lot of Don bucks on it. Did I do it wrong?