• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
15 years gone just like that. Just imagine how many more chunks of 15 years are gonna pass similarly quickly and how, sooner than anyone can really anticipate, we will all join the billions that came before us. Every memory you ever made will unravel as the brain deteriorates from lack of oxygen and our consciousnesses plunged into eternal oblivion, never to experience anything or make a new memory ever again.

What is your favorite game on the DS? I really enjoyed Ghost Trick

Nov 3, 2017
15 years gone just like that. Just imagine how many more chunks of 15 years are gonna pass similarly quickly and how, sooner than anyone can really anticipate, we will all join the billions that came before us. Every memory you ever made will unravel as the brain deteriorates from lack of oxygen and our consciousnesses plunged into eternal oblivion, never to experience anything or make a new memory ever again.

You doing okay OP?

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
15 years holy shit. How did we get here?

SoulSilver is legit. But I wasnt a huge fan of the DS now that I think about it, I feel the GBA and 3DS have much stronger libraries.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the greatest system of all time imo. Top 3. Ps2, DS, 360, SNES, PS1 and PS4 I think have some of the best libraries ever.

I spent countless hours playing my DS, as it was my main platform 2007-2010. I really need to give those games more time now, as there are still countless games I've never played or finished like HotelDusk. We're in a bit of a calm before DS retro collecting exploded next gen I think

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I was like 14/15 and obviously living with my folks. I remember getting that DS and being so fucking happy. Life has changed so much since then but I still play my, now 3ds, all the time. I think in some way its comforting.

(3)DS = best handled of all time

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
The DS (and Gamecube for that matter) were released during a time where I was paying so little attention to video games that I didn't know they existed until I saw them in a store. I'm a bit nostalgic for the bliss of ignorance that comes with not being connected to an information stream 24/7.

OP expresses a sense of futility in the face of the passage of time. Perhaps it's better for the human experience, to remain uninformed, so as to better enjoy our moment-to-moment lives, blissfully unaware of the incessant churn of technological progress?

Umbasa.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original GBA is 18 years old, before the switch that was the last Nintendo product I owned. I was 13 when it came out.

Oct 26, 2017
The best system last gen. Weird to think it's that old and some still wouldn't consider it retro

I'd say my favorite game was either Ace Attorney Investigations II: Miles Edgeworth or Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations. Really, the system has an outright stellar library. The one system that saved that generation for me

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The precursor to modern mobile gaming and the revolution that was Wii.

I still have three DS systems (Lite, DSi, DSi XL).

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
Today is anniversary day for Nintendo releases in North America.

The DS
Legend of Zelda ALTTP
Ocarina of Time
Super Smash Melee

The Super Nintendo was also released 29 years ago today.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Best evolution of Nintendo hardware as well. The chunky prototype like original to the perfect DS Lite then the two DSi models which had the sturdiest design of any recent Nintendo hardware.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
My launch white DS Lite is probably my favorite piece of portable hardware. Sunk a LOT of time into that thing.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My original DS screen still has scratches from playing the launch title, Feel the Magic.
DS_Feel_The_Magic_Art.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the most shovelware on a Nintendo handheld, but man oh man, did it have a lot of quality releases. Not only was so much of Nintendo's output amazing, but it also allowed for a lot of new third party franchises such as:
  • Etrian Odyssey
  • Professor Layton
  • The World Ends With You
  • Osu! or Elite Beat Agents (Please come home, I miss you so much)
  • Zero Escape
  • And Ghost Trick
And we got so many quality entries from other third parties such as Castlevania, Shin Megami Tensei, and Dragon Quest.

There is so still so much I have yet to play on that console, need to get back to it one day.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Better to just call any console not sold new in stores "retro" so you don't have to be fighting it all the time and avoid becoming existential.

Wii U is retro

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I no longer get shook by the cruel march of time, feels like 15 years to me... It was exciting waiting outside in the cold to get my launch DS at Target. That thing was glued to me for years in all its different hardware revisions. Best handheld library of all time.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Still my favorite handheld ever, so many great rpgs and smaller games. The 3DS didn't come close in terms of third party support.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best systems of all time.

Etrian Odyssey
Ace Attorney
Castlevania

Are some of my favorite series and I got into them thanks to the DS.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
This one certainly feels like 15 years, I'm not getting the same level of wow time as others. The DS Lite had to be one of the best refreshes ever.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This system was incredible. I was sad that lifespan of the GBA was cut, short but the DS was a worthy successor. So many great games.

Oct 27, 2017
I begged my parents to get me one, and I got my wish on Christmas 2005. It is the MK DS one. DS is one of my favorite devices ever.

actually I went to my parents home not so long ago and the thing still had full charge. Unless my sister is using it, it must have been at least 3 years since I last charged it o_o

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
My first ever Nintendo system AND handheld. And one heck of a legacy for me.

I remember at elementary school a lot of people had a DS with Nintendogs, and I wanted one so bad.

And that christmas (I think in 2007?) I finally got my wish with a Metallic Silver DS Lite and a copy of Nintendogs

41GAxpX5fPL.AC_SX430_.jpg

Fast-forward to one faithful day some time later: I spotted my brother with my DS and one of his friends playing in download play a game he had brought over that I had never seen before...

I saw two colorful mustachioed men jumping and bouncing around for the possession of stars to the sound of incredibly catchy music.
Captivated by that sight, I asked what game it was, and the friend said New Super Mario Bros.

I later bought the game and it became my first ever Super Mario game, entertaining me for countless hours and becoming one of my favourite games ever, and I like to think my official introduction to the Nintendo Pantheon.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Oh, my favorite is probably Pokémo-
Just imagine how many more chunks of 15 years are gonna pass similarly quickly and how, sooner than anyone can really anticipate, we will all join the billions that came before us. Every memory you ever made will unravel as the brain deteriorates from lack of oxygen and our consciousnesses plunged into eternal oblivion, never to experience anything or make a new memory ever again
njkE0SH.jpg

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I remember getting the Polar White DS Lite. Still my favorite portable system ever. So sleep, played everything I wanted. Loved it. I ended up playing the first 6 Final Fantasys on it, the GBA ones and III DS. Then later I think I played the IV DS remake.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Got this bad boy on Day 1 of NA launch.

The DS actually lead to a really cool moment in my life.

One of the first games on the DS was the game 'The URBZ: Sims in the CIty'. I for whatever reason got really into this game and wrote the first FAQ on gamefaqs for the title. Shortly after the guide was finished I was contacted by editors at NGC Magazine In the UK who asked if they could publish my guide in their special DS launch booklet (the DS wouldn't launch for a couple more months in the UK). As a 16 year old this was the most exciting thing to ever happen to me. All I asked for was a copy of the issue and the booklet and they could have my permission to use the guide. They insisted that they would also pay me too. So not only was I going to be published but also paid.

Eventually I got my copy in the mail and I was so proud to see my name listed as an author alongside all the publishing information. I dreamed about writing a lot more guides and even getting into games journalism one day. It never did quite work out that way but I tried a few times before finding my calling in library science. I'm really grateful for the DS, The URBZ and the good folks at NGC Magazine (RIP) for giving me such a great memory though.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I was super not into DS until I got my first one, a DS Lite. Such an incredible little machine, I loved it (even if I had the terrible looking Guitar Hero one).