• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
So I have been meaning to convert my traditional IRA to a Roth. If today continues downward would it be a good idea to do that?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
So many posts expressing such surprise at a bounce. I don't get it. Should the market drop every single day? Even if it's a true bear market and the trend is down indefinitely, such markets still have violent rallies. Also, as I posted yesterday, 10 times out of 10 the market has rallied the day after a 5% drop. Before the market closed we already knew the WH were planning a response package. Sure you can argue that a rate cut and a tax cut and so on do nothing to stop the virus, but if the economic hit from the virus is temporary we're still left with that stimulus for longer.

China reported the virus is more active at cooler temps (although the WHO called that a false hope). Yes, Italy and Spain's numbers are surging, but look at China and South Korea. The daily new cases are trending down substantially. Economic activity will not cease forever. It hasn't even ceased now.

www.worldometers.info

China COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

China Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
So I have been meaning to convert my traditional IRA to a Roth. If today continues downward would it be a good idea to do that?
Your number of shares will stay the same but the value will be lower (temporarily) when the market is down (temporarily) so you'll have a smaller tax hit for the conversion. Generally good idea but work out the math to be sure.

Reven

Oct 25, 2017
Your number of shares will stay the same but the value will be lower (temporarily) when the market is down (temporarily) so you'll have a smaller tax hit for the conversion. Generally good idea but work out the math to be sure.
The value of my IRA is so low as is I don't think it really matters at the moment. Gonna convert and actually start putting some money into it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Tonight there are 352 delegates up for grabs. The market has already shown it doesn't want Bernie (unless you're a big believer in coincidences after how the market reacted to NH, NV and ST), so if Biden continues to look the most likely that may add more market support.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
So many posts expressing such surprise at a bounce. I don't get it. Should the market drop every single day? Even if it's a true bear market and the trend is down indefinitely, such markets still have violent rallies. Also, as I posted yesterday, 10 times out of 10 the market has rallied the day after a 5% drop. Before the market closed we already knew the WH were planning a response package. Sure you can argue that a rate cut and a tax cut and so on do nothing to stop the virus, but if the economic hit from the virus is temporary we're still left with that stimulus for longer.

China reported the virus is more active at cooler temps (although the WHO called that a false hope). Yes, Italy and Spain's numbers are surging, but look at China and South Korea. The daily new cases are trending down substantially. Economic activity will not cease forever. It hasn't even ceased now.

www.worldometers.info

China COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

China Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

www.worldometers.info

South Korea COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

South Korea Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

It's mostly that people aren't familiar with the stockmarket until it's breaking records on the upside or the downside.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
So this morning's bounce was predicated on Trump saying they would announce measures today but now that that's not happening I assume we'll be in the negative then.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this morning's bounce was predicated on Trump saying they would announce measures today but now that that's not happening I assume we'll be in the negative then.
Coronavirus number are declining in Singapore and China, Italy is taking extreme measures to decrease numbers under a full lockdown. Feels like a little bit of a corner turn here.

Oil jumped back up some after the notion that Russia is hinting at further talks.

Biden is projected to smash tonight which also will improve the market outlook.

I think there are many reason for positive sentiment aside from Trump's imaginary tax plan.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Tonight there are 352 delegates up for grabs. The market has already shown it doesn't want Bernie (unless you're a big believer in coincidences after how the market reacted to NH, NV and ST), so if Biden continues to look the most likely that may add more market support.
Is there any real proof that the market is reacting to Bernie Sanders or any Dem candidate at this point? Seems like there are more immediate things the market would be reacting to. Like yet again believing anything this administration puts out - even though it's almost always complete made up bullshit.

I get certain parts of the market, like healthcare companies going up in celebration of milking people more, but the entire market?

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Yeah, the market wants Biden over Bernie, but Super Tuesday was an uncertainty that turned out in their favor. By now, 538 has Biden winning at 99 percent. So the bounce will be less than before because the race is all but over at this point.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Is there any real proof that the market is reacting to Bernie Sanders or any Dem candidate at this point? Seems like there are more immediate things the market would be reacting to. Like yet again believing anything this administration puts out - even though it's almost always complete made up bullshit.

I get certain parts of the market, like healthcare companies going up in celebration of milking people more, but the entire market?
A more market friendly candidate pulling ahead versus someone who wants to break up financial institutions? Oh yeah.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Do you think Trump and friends are doing insider training on unprecedented levels?
There is no doubt in my mind of insider trading by Trump and his cronies. Last year there were many suspicious trades right before Trump pumped progress on the China deal, including one time when he flat out lied about a phone call that didn't happen, which sent markets surging so the big trade late Friday would be well in the money.

www.vanityfair.com

The Fantastically Profitable Mystery of the Trump Chaos Trades

The president’s talk can move markets—and it’s made some futures traders billions. Did they know what he was going to say before he said it?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

When Bernie crushed it in Nevada, stocks opened the next day down 2.4% and closed down 3.4%. When Biden crushed it in South Carolina a week later, stocks were up 4.6% the next day. After Bernie bottled it on Super Tuesday, stocks were up 4.2% the next day.

You're correct, there are other events going on, but it's stretching coincidence to ignore those moves seeming to confirm the pre-existing narrative.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
In for another?

tenor.gif

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking today is going to be mild, everyone holding their breath to see what happens tonight in the primaries.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
When Bernie crushed it in Nevada, stocks opened the next day down 2.4% and closed down 3.4%. When Biden crushed it in South Carolina a week later, stocks were up 4.6% the next day. After Bernie bottled it on Super Tuesday, stocks were up 4.2% the next day.

You're correct, there are other events going on, but it's stretching coincidence to ignore those moves seeming to confirm the pre-existing narrative.

Intuitively it makes sense. Bernie represents the unknown for investors while Biden represents a return to the Obama years. And the market did very well during the Obama years, even better than Trump. Trump helped the market with his tax cuts, but he has been highly unpredictable and his trade wars sunk the market for a long time before he gave up on it. I think the market would prefer Biden over both Bernie and Trump.

less

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking today is going to be mild, everyone holding their breath to see what happens tonight in the primaries.

Probably not? After ST and everything I believe the market already sees a Biden primary win as inevitable and thus priced in already. The only result that should cause it to sit up and take notice is Bernie pulling off some miracle wins today.

Oct 30, 2017
Any you guys have suggestions on a good ETF that pays a nice dividend or should I continue pumping money into symbol O? I have ten shares of O and would like to keep buying shares monthly and let compounding go into effect. But it's still pricey and was wondering of monthly dividends ETF I could buy that's cheaper.

OP
OP

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017

Probably easier to see the correlation vs the health care sector performance. That swung wildly depending on election results. UNH in particular is a big make up of the Dow and was a huge reason for the market volatility we had been seeing before yesterday.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, the market drills whenever Bernie does well and it pops when Biden takes back the lead.

Which... makes sense. Say what you want about Wall Street, but they're not stupid. They know what a Bernie presidency would mean for them (and for the stock market in general).

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
It's spreading in Australia, so I wouldn't expect Summer to save everyone, but I also would be surprised if it hasn't peaked in most places well before summer.

Last edited:

Starviper

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Market seems to be trending back down which is kind of what I expected - start out high and then taper off throughout the day. I'd bet Wednesday may even be another down day at this rate considering the market conditions.. It'll take time. I expect a period of level-setting +/- 1-2% days before we start seeing major gains.

Also wasn't aware that Trump said he was making any sort of announcement. If he failed to actually go through with anything new that might bring it into the red.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Any you guys have suggestions on a good ETF that pays a nice dividend or should I continue pumping money into symbol O? I have ten shares of O and would like to keep buying shares monthly and let compounding go into effect. But it's still pricey and was wondering of monthly dividends ETF I could buy that's cheaper.

I've got some money in this one:

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't think this is anywhere near the bottom.

Once NYC gets quarantined and people can't come to the stock exchange maybe.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I didn't think it would last long. There is still too much panic selling. And I don't think the GOP will pass the measures Trump wants in regards to the virus.

SlyCoug88

Jan 10, 2018
I wonder how large today's range will be. Dow already down 1,000 pts from its high this morning. I think that's something like 4-5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.