• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I started a Roth IRA last year with $6k. It was at $6.8k the other week and is now down to $5.6k. I got laid off last month and concerned about money. Not sure what I should do. I am 35 and it was my first time contributing towards retirement. I know its a long term investment and likely to go back up, but there is a chance I could use that money in the near future if I have employment issues and I'm worried it's just going to continue to plummet. Any advice?

Do you have access to unemployment assistance? Roth IRA funds can also be pulled penalty free if you make the case for financial emergency. I've never done it so I don't know the details but you could look into it.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
You know there's the Social Security and Medicare that come out of your salaried income? You are actually only paying a part of the total to be paid. Your employer pays the rest. So that + money towards unemployemt insurance that your employers need to pay is called payroll tax. Any relief/savings goes to the company of course.
So more trickle down economics? Why would the Democrats vote for this again?

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe the stock market is eating up the payroll tax cuts -- DJIA, NASDAQ, and S&P futures are all up about 2%.

None of the fundamental issues behind this drop are going to solved by this tax cut.

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Time to buy SQQQ calls to hold over the weekend, we getting paper boys.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I can't believe the stock market is eating up the payroll tax cuts -- DJIA, NASDAQ, and S&P futures are all up about 2%.

None of the fundamental issues behind this drop are going to solved by this tax cut.
Assuming a tax cut even passes. Trump was wanting this closer to the election so he could buy votes.

Bear in mind,

a) The market is already down about 20%.
b) Apologies if I'm mistaken, but it seems like China has got the new cases under control.
c) China reported the virus is most active in cooler temps, which would strengthen the case that the worst of this is temporary, although the WHO called it a false hope at the moment.
d) Markets tend to bounce after big drops like today.

"Remarkably, following all 10 of the Monday 5%+ drops since 1952, the S&P has gained the next trading day," the researchers wrote. "And not just gained but gained more than 2.2%."

www.marketwatch.com

The S&P 500 just lost a stunning 7.6%—here’s how the stock market tends to perform historically after a ‘Black Monday’

It was a brutal Monday for stocks, prompted by growing fears of coronavirus and an unexpected price cut by major oil producer Saudi Arabia over the weekend....

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone tell me how a payroll tax cut will help the average american. Wouldn't a reduced tax burden simply go back to the company.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Can someone tell me how a payroll tax cut will help the average american. Wouldn't a reduced tax burden simply go back to the company.
during the recession there was 2% tax cut on payroll. how much you feel 2% is def neglible, only reason i even remember is one year, the year it dropped, i didn't get a cost of living raise, or really small, 1%, and actually made less money because the 2% cut was lifted.

i believe that's a pyroll tax cut, i could be wrong, but i tihnk the idea is more moeny in your pocket, but at minimum wage or low wage, not sure how much 2% helps. not sure what orange fuck face's tax cut would be, but GOP fuck heads are "cool" to it anyway so im doubtful.

tax cuts to a company could give fuel to not furrow workers or lay offs, but eh

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

According to history looks like a normal bounce.

www.marketwatch.com

The S&P 500 just lost a stunning 7.6%—here’s how the stock market tends to perform historically after a ‘Black Monday’

It was a brutal Monday for stocks, prompted by growing fears of coronavirus and an unexpected price cut by major oil producer Saudi Arabia over the weekend....

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
According to history looks like a normal bounce.

www.marketwatch.com

True, we've seen this song-and-dance for the past month with the small bounces. It's just that I'm increasing frustrated by how irrational this market is...

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.cnn.com

Senate GOP cool to new economic stimulus measures

Senate Republicans are cool to new economic stimulus proposals the Trump administration is planning to roll out as they await a briefing from top White House economic officials on potential next steps.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will meet with her committee chairs Monday night to talk through potential options, and the California Democrat and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer laid down a marker Sunday night for what any package should include, including paid sick leave, enhanced unemployment insurance and widespread, free coronavirus testing.
But it was clear from Senate Republicans coming out of the meeting that there is little appetite to tackle wide-scale economic stimulus at the moment and there is concern that some of the proposals that have been floated by White House officials in recent days, from the payroll tax cuts to more direct spending measures, represent potential problems for the conference in the weeks ahead.
"I think it's premature," Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, responded when asked if he could support either spending plans proposed by Democrats or tax cuts suggested by Republicans to boost the economy in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. "I usually love tax cuts, but I think it's a little bit premature again."
One member said that there was a real discussion about the option the White House may lay out Tuesday, but Republicans in the leadership meeting were "not really excited about some of the options on the table. We would have to sort through it. We have to sort through what the implications would be."
Part of the concern deals with the economic troubles as they currently stand. Stimulative spending at a time of sharply declining demand may not have the intended effect, another GOP senator told CNN. Tax cuts or incentives, traditionally the preferred economic policy lever for Republicans to pull amid economic slow downs, may, in turn, take too long to take hold given the current market conditions.
"What I don't want to do is just borrow a bunch of money and throw it out in the street to stimulate spending," said Sen. Kevin Cramer, a North Dakota Republican.
"Maybe some tax cuts or tax deferral would be in order," Cramer said, insisting he would be open to hearing the administration's proposals. "But I'm not sure the market's looking for stimulation into the economy. The market is looking for the coronavirus to be solved."
Sen. Marco Rubio, who chairs the Senate's Small Business committee, responded "maybe" when asked if he would support a stimulus package.
"I think it would have to be effective and targeted in the right places. It's hard to stimulate against a pandemic or epidemic, a health care outbreak. It's a little different than a terrorist attack, which is the last time we did something major like this," the Florida Republican said.
"We'd have to see," said Sen. Richard Shelby, a Republican of Alabama who chairs the Appropriations Committee, when asked if he would support a stimulus plan.
Shelby said spending on infrastructure might be the best way to aid the economy, even though its effects won't be immediate: "It probably wouldn't help anything in the short-term but would be good for businesses and jobs in the long term."
The senators spoke before the President announced at a news conference he would ask Congress to approve payroll tax cut and relief for hourly workers.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Senate Republicans are cool to new economic stimulus proposals the Trump administration is planning to roll out as they await a briefing from top White House economic officials on potential next steps.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi will meet with her committee chairs Monday night to talk through potential options, and the California Democrat and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer laid down a marker Sunday night for what any package should include, including paid sick leave, enhanced unemployment insurance and widespread, free coronavirus testing.
But it was clear from Senate Republicans coming out of the meeting that there is little appetite to tackle wide-scale economic stimulus at the moment and there is concern that some of the proposals that have been floated by White House officials in recent days, from the payroll tax cuts to more direct spending measures, represent potential problems for the conference in the weeks ahead.
"I think it's premature," Sen. John Cornyn, a Texas Republican, responded when asked if he could support either spending plans proposed by Democrats or tax cuts suggested by Republicans to boost the economy in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak. "I usually love tax cuts, but I think it's a little bit premature again."
One member said that there was a real discussion about the option the White House may lay out Tuesday, but Republicans in the leadership meeting were "not really excited about some of the options on the table. We would have to sort through it. We have to sort through what the implications would be."
Part of the concern deals with the economic troubles as they currently stand. Stimulative spending at a time of sharply declining demand may not have the intended effect, another GOP senator told CNN. Tax cuts or incentives, traditionally the preferred economic policy lever for Republicans to pull amid economic slow downs, may, in turn, take too long to take hold given the current market conditions.
"What I don't want to do is just borrow a bunch of money and throw it out in the street to stimulate spending," said Sen. Kevin Cramer, a North Dakota Republican.
"Maybe some tax cuts or tax deferral would be in order," Cramer said, insisting he would be open to hearing the administration's proposals. "But I'm not sure the market's looking for stimulation into the economy. The market is looking for the coronavirus to be solved."
Sen. Marco Rubio, who chairs the Senate's Small Business committee, responded "maybe" when asked if he would support a stimulus package.
"I think it would have to be effective and targeted in the right places. It's hard to stimulate against a pandemic or epidemic, a health care outbreak. It's a little different than a terrorist attack, which is the last time we did something major like this," the Florida Republican said.
"We'd have to see," said Sen. Richard Shelby, a Republican of Alabama who chairs the Appropriations Committee, when asked if he would support a stimulus plan.
Shelby said spending on infrastructure might be the best way to aid the economy, even though its effects won't be immediate: "It probably wouldn't help anything in the short-term but would be good for businesses and jobs in the long term."
The senators spoke before the President announced at a news conference he would ask Congress to approve payroll tax cut and relief for hourly workers.

Holy shit, the Senate is actually being reasonable?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
www.cnn.com

This is turning out deliciously for Trump.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It sounds to me like they'll pass something anyway. Sounds like they are playing pretend to hype up what they will eventually pass but feel they need more time for this to simmer to be able to use it for their own gain during the election. They want to pass something, they just want to be able to say it's more their plan than the White House's. This is just politicians trying to give their own PR teams some time to come up with some publicity for them.

Right now this is coming too fast and all made up by the White House so they would gain little from it during the campaign. That's all this fake-resistance is. They would cut all taxes to zero if they could.

torontoml

Oct 25, 2017
What amount of money are you guys discussing when you're buying Visa/Apple/Tesla/etc? I know next to nothing about stocks, but it seems like you have to be playing with thousands of dollars to actually make anything significant with those.

I'm just curious how much or little I should be paying attention to those discussions.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What amount of money are you guys discussing when you're buying Visa/Apple/Tesla/etc? I know next to nothing about stocks, but it seems like you have to be playing with thousands of dollars to actually make anything significant with those.

I'm just curious how much or little I should be paying attention to those discussions.
I have around $1k in Microsoft, everything else is just 2 or 3 shares here and there. Most money is generally better off in mutual funds I think.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017

I assume that those people are well-established in their careers, many of them in tech, and making bank. They can afford 2-10k investments if not more lol.
I for instance, am more AMD level. Anything ~$50 and below is affordable to buy a few of.. but not much more than a few..

I actually don't have enough "free cash" to invest into random singular stocks during this time, so I'm just doing the weekly paycheques dollar-cost-averaging into index funds. I am down about.. 6.5% overall just from today? lol

Last edited:

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
True, we've seen this song-and-dance for the past month with the small bounces. It's just that I'm increasing frustrated by how irrational this market is...
Yeah this is a crash course in volitility we haven't seen ever really with the percentage moves every day up and down. Will unfortunately likely get worse if closures start actually happening. With spring break incoming I'm curious how colleges will deal with it. Extended breaks? Will be interesting to see.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The VAST majority of my money is in long term ETFs and target date funds. These never move. 95%

But yes, most of my moves are $1,000s.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Rolling my eyes at this futures bump. S&P tracking over 4% up at this point, based on what.... potential tax cuts or something?? Feels like deja vu.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Rolling my eyes at this futures bump. S&P tracking over 4% up at this point, based on what.... potential tax cuts or something?? Feels like deja vu.

"Time to buy the dip"? A day might be green, but I guess week will be deep red.

I'm sticking to my schedule though, my understanding of the market is relatively poor.

Last edited:

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Italian index up almost 3% even though the entire country is on lockdown from today

ok
Strong fundamentals, son!

But seriously, the irrationality is through the roof right now, especially in that things are getting worse, but some how we have a negative 2k day, and then up 1k the next on no real positive news other than... "We have plans". But the more negative news of Italy being on complete lockdown now, that didn't seem to even move the needle.

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Easy. Deficits only matter when Dems are in power. Media won't push too hard on it when GOP is in charge. As we're seeing now. They'll push big time if a Dem proposed policies that increase the deficit though. That's where hard questions start coming.

Different standards.
I wish whoever is next democratic President that they would call out the GOP on this. Obama had to be diplomatic since he was the first black President--we clearly live in a racist country.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Strong fundamentals, son!

But seriously, the irrationality is through the roof right now, especially in that things are getting worse, but some how we have a negative 2k day, and then up 1k the next on no real positive news other than... "We have plans". But the more negative news of Italy being on complete lockdown now, that didn't seem to even move the needle.

Just wait until NYC goes on lockdown in about 13 or 14 days

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the poor sap that buys on the dead cat every time

thank god for DCA
I've been out since last Tuesday (my casual investments that is, not my retirement), but have been really tempted to jump back in. Still think we've got some ways to go just yet though and I'm better off putting more towards student loans in the short term.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Dead cat buying is the worst. Please avoid them.
I use them to catch all these falling knives
I've been out since last Tuesday (my casual investments that is, not my retirement), but have been really tempted to jump back in. Still think we've got some ways to go just yet though and I'm better off putting more towards student loans in the short term.
Yeah. Just makes me feel dumb every time lol

But nobody can time it perfectly

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.cnbc.com

JPMorgan says the stock sell-off is overdone and recession risk is overblown

JPMorgan reiterated its year end S&P 500 price target of 3,400.

www.cnbc.com

Russia hints at further talks with Saudi Arabia after oil prices crash

Russia has refused to rule out talks with OPEC to stabilize energy markets, according to reports.

positive news hype lesss goooooo

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
www.cnbc.com

JPMorgan reiterated its year end S&P 500 price target of 3,400.

www.cnbc.com

Russia has refused to rule out talks with OPEC to stabilize energy markets, according to reports.

positive news hype lesss goooooo
Bet jpm would say that. Think they broke their 2018 stock low yesterday.
Edit: the low was like 91, they hit a little below 93 yesterday.
This rally makes no sense. Are people really this dumb?

If you are good you can make alot of money off these bounces. After a crazy drop, usually you see a bounce. They can be pretty strong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.