• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Whew boy, over 50% of my 2+ year gains wiped out in a single morning.

I'm gonna need a bigger cup of coffee.

Edit: I'm only watching for fun as I'm in it for the long run, not actually concerned.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 30, 2017
If I'm someone who doesn't have a lot of money to invest as or now, and I'm in it for long haul, should I be investing in ETFs that aren't terribly expensive and keep putting in money monthly using DCA?

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me more my good friend.

There are funds called index tracked funds that bundle together a number of stocks into one fund. So VTI for example is a Vanguard fund that bundles these companies and basically tracks the market. It's less risky because you don't have to pick a certain company and be knowledgeable about them. You might not hit the jackpot with that one stock, but for the uninformed investor, it's better than gambling on a few stocks you don't know much about.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm someone who doesn't have a lot of money to invest as or now, and I'm in it for long haul, should I be investing in ETFs that aren't terribly expensive and keep putting in money monthly using DCA?

You should do this whether the market is going up or down. If you can afford to add more as the market is tanking do this.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
There are funds called index tracked funds that bundle together a number of stocks into one fund. So VTI for example is a Vanguard fund that bundles these companies and basically tracks the market. It's less risky because you don't have to pick a certain company and be knowledgeable about them. You might not hit the jackpot with that one stock, but for the uninformed investor, it's better than gambling on a few stocks you don't know much about.

Thank you Octodad, my good friend.

Edit - Do you think now's the best time, or maybe should I wait a bit?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Once it gets bad enough here, and parents have to stay home with their kids or people aren't going out to shows/movies/vacations, it's going to have a ripple effect through the entire economy. People are already leery about eating out or going to restaurants. Just wait.

I have no idea how anyone can think otherwise at this point.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

Any other recommendations like VTI? Low fees and average or below risk?

(I already am in VSMAX and a couple of other no load funds).

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Any oil and gas companies people looking at? I don't believe in O&G and im from Alberta. But if I can make a quick buck I'll do it. I got CVX in pre-market and up 6% since. It's still scary.

Ie. Haliburton at $8 and down 33%. I don't know what companies have good balance sheets and wont file bankruptcy etc.,

I don't believe in O&G long-term but if I can make some money short term it seems way overdone some of these movements.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sold some stock I didn't like and put it in FBGRX. With things being so crazy I kind of want to consolidate into mutual funds so I can stop being glued to watching this.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Days like today make me glad my main account is 60/40.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
IMO no. Garbage company, garbage ethics,I don't think oil has a future personally.

I don't either, but ill trade oil, Not invest in it. I might as well try and make a profit on some of these swings if I can but I just don't know what separates a solid oil company from a shit one. But yeah I wouldn't want to hold oil companies long term either.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Bought some Apple two Fridays ago and again this morning. Given the wild swings it's right back to where I bought the first time. I'll take some more at this level.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
As a neophyte, the hardest thing is resisting timing the market. Like, when is it ok to take the profit and run and when are you just panicking?

Status
Not open for further replies.