• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Are you guys talking about stocks? How do I start learning about this
In addition to what others recommended, I suggest you read Nick Murray's Simple Wealth, Inevitable Wealth. This is a nice short read. It was very illuminating to me as someone who didn't have any sort of investment knowledge. It doesn't get into the nitty-gritty of the different kinds of investment options, but it lays out a simple strategy for how to save for retirement with some convincing arguments to back it up. It's a little old so some of the specifics may be a little outdated (for instance, it recommends stock mutual funds as your primary investment vehicle to the detriment of all other investment vehicles, whereas today index funds are all the rage), but the principles are still solid. It goes into why time in the market is superior to timing the market, dollar cost averaging, the importance of a diversified portfolio (and how stock mutual funds get you there), stock vs. bond allocation, risk, the ravages of inflation, taxes, keeping the course during market downturns, etc.

After that, I'd read The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. It goes into *a lot* more detail, and the overarching principles mostly overlap with those in the former book.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Ya I'm not touching any options tomorrow first thing, if things are still averaging down I'll dabble in some puts.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya I'm not touching any options tomorrow first thing, if things are still averaging down I'll dabble in some puts.
I'll probably buy calls when it dips. There will be a fake rally at some point during the day, maybe even a real one if we get more info from the fed. Calls on dip with an immediate +20% sell order. Worked pretty well for me last week.

zerocalories

Oct 28, 2017
California
In addition to what others recommended, I suggest you read Nick Murray's Simple Wealth, Inevitable Wealth. This is a nice short read. It was very illuminating to me as someone who didn't have any sort of investment knowledge. It doesn't get into the nitty-gritty of the different kinds of investment options, but it lays out a simple strategy for how to save for retirement with some convincing arguments to back it up. It's a little old so some of the specifics may be a little outdated (for instance, it recommends stock mutual funds as your primary investment vehicle to the detriment of all other investment vehicles, whereas today index funds are all the rage), but the principles are still solid. It goes into why time in the market is superior to timing the market, dollar cost averaging, the importance of a diversified portfolio (and how stock mutual funds get you there), stock vs. bond allocation, risk, the ravages of inflation, taxes, keeping the course during market downturns, etc.

After that, I'd read The Boglehead's Guide to Investing. It goes into *a lot* more detail, and the overarching principles mostly overlap with those in the former book.

thanks

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably buy calls when it dips. There will be a fake rally at some point during the day, maybe even a real one if we get more info from the fed. Calls on dip with an immediate +20% sell order. Worked pretty well for me last week.
Market opens at 5:30 here, if I'm up I might do some trades. Just don't want to grab anything that needs to be dealt ASAP

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I expect the market to keep going down but that there may be a rally tomorrow, when is the best time to put in a sell for an index fund? When the market is closed or after the market opens? How long would it take for my index fund to sell and what price would it sell at (i.e., before market or after market pricing)?

Magni

If I expect the market to keep going down but that there may be a rally tomorrow, when is the best time to put in a sell for an index fund? When the market is closed or after the market opens? How long would it take for my index fund to sell and what price would it sell at (i.e., before market or after market pricing)?

Is your index fun play money, or is this for your retirement? Don't try to time the market with your serious investments. If you're just playing around, the right answer is nobody knows, so have fun 🤷‍♂️

Edit: my bad I misread your post. I'm not sure about that, I've only sold by setting a price (so it sells at the first price reached either above or below X. So if it works the same for you and you put in a sell at below 100, and it opens at 90, it would sell immediately for 90. But if it opens at 101 and then dips to 99, it would sell for 99. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter when you place the order? But I'm not a pro, so please correct me if my understanding of how this works is off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is your index fun play money, or is this for your retirement? Don't try to time the market with your serious investments. If you're just playing around, the right answer is nobody knows, so have fun 🤷‍♂️
Did you even read what I asked? lol I'm asking about when the trade/sell actually goes through and whether the price will be before the market closes or after.

Magni

Did you even read what I asked? lol I'm asking about when the trade/sell actually goes through and whether the price will be before the market closes or after.

I read and completely missed the point (that's what I get for trying to post, cook, and watch my daughter play at the same time...). See my edit. If you can't sell when the market is closed, why would you get that price? AFAIK, pre-open prices don't mean anything if you don't have access to buy/sell then.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
European markets seem to be doing better today.

The FTSE 100 was up by a few percent earlier, now up 0.71%

Be interesting to see the US open though

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm curious are those of you trying to time the market just trying to make a little extra or are you trying to become the next youtube millionaire advice expert?

Cause lol if its the later.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I've also been waiting for a good chance to make a bigger one-time investment. Not sure where the market is heading this week at all. I'm sticking with my normal monthly schedule on two ETFs from my savings anyway.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read and completely missed the point (that's what I get for trying to post, cook, and watch my daughter play at the same time...). See my edit. If you can't sell when the market is closed, why would you get that price? AFAIK, pre-open prices don't mean anything if you don't have access to buy/sell then.
What do you mean access to buy/sell? I can log into Vanguard right now and execute a sell order on an index fund I'm invested it. Also thanks for the clarification.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
This will be a volatile week. I fully expect a green open followed by a decline in the afternoon or after-hours.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys expecting another bad week? IMO it's going down even further.

Depends how companies are going to react to coronavirus. We've entered territory where tourism and travel juggernauts are going to begin considering various closures, and worldwide supply is going to tighten even further. We just don't know by how much yet. It's hard to predict the market when the virus situation is unpredictable right now - we're not sure how much worse it's going to get, and how fast it's going to get worse yet.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Robinhood servers are crashed, haven't seen an update since 9:20. Looks like my shares are doing alright so far though.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Are you guys expecting another bad week? IMO it's going down even further.
For this week, I'm not sure. We might get a dead cat bounce, we might get more bad news.

Long-term, however, we're probably going into a bear market, given how disruptive the coronavirus seems to be (that's not even getting into the possibility that the coronavirus ends up being an endemic disease, which is very possible).

less

Oct 25, 2017
Time to wait patiently for that slide so can scoop up some more Tesla and Microsoft.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Time to wait patiently for that slide so can scoop up some more Tesla and Microsoft.

Yeah, I bought some more TSLA on Friday to add to my position for the very long term. I'm done buying anything now for a month or two, after I pay my school taxes I'll likely fill up my Roth IRA for the year. I'm not selling anything, just holding it all for the long haul.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Market seems undecided on what to do at this point. Was hoping for a mini-rally some time this week to possibly unload what I bought on Friday

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
And my ETF of choice is negative again. Good thing I resisted the temptation to buy in earlier today for once...

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
With the market seemingly expecting a rate cut soon, is the Fed under extra pressure to follow through? I don't envy Powell's job one bit.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty happy with my late pick ups last week so far. Let's see if it holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.