• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Soooooo...is there a chance the stock market likes Trump's plan to return to work in 2 weeks?
I shook my magic eightball and well....
outlook-not-so-good.jpg

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Soooooo...is there a chance the stock market likes Trump's plan to return to work in 2 weeks?

Trump, being the idiot he is, doesn't realize that by removing the national emergency mandate, it starts giving employers reason to 'go back to work' to try & force a form of economic normalcy, which will then force people to either work or be let go, and on top of all that, spreads the virus to even greater numbers.

Making people choose between a safety & a virus/paycheck, with the risk of being laid off anyway, is some top-tier politicking from Trump.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trump, being the idiot he is, doesn't realize that by removing the national emergency mandate, it starts giving employers reason to 'go back to work' to try & force a form of economic normalcy, which will then force people to either work or be let go, and on top of all that, spreads the virus to even greater numbers.

Making people choose between a safety & a virus/paycheck, with the risk of being laid off anyway, is some top-tier politicking from Trump.
yeah it wont work. the truth is goverment bailout or no, our econamy is going to look very difrent after this is done. amazon is planning to hire a insane amount of workers (100k) best buy and other stores are shifting to curbside pickup on and on it goes. anyone who thinks a ruturn to pre pandemic set up is nuts.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does it make sense to lower my 401k contribution? I'm currently contributing well above my employer match. Not sure if it's safer just to have more of my paycheck going into my bank account for now.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Does it make sense to lower my 401k contribution? I'm currently contributing well above my employer match. Not sure if it's safer just to have more of my paycheck going into my bank account for now.
I was having this thought earlier tonight of ramping down my contributions to just match and (which may take 2 pay cycles to kick in) and then set back to above normal levels (to max out) sometime in June depending on how things go. But this is exactly would timing the market is...

I'm waiting on contributing to my Roth IRA until the market some what stabilizes - it doesn't have to be at the very bottom. For now, everything is going into emergency savings. Not including my ROTH accounts I'm at 5 months worth of savings and could push this to over 6 if I could get a pause on student loan payments. Would rather keep boosting this up over the couple of months and start DCAing over the stocks I'm after.

I'm in a position where I don't think a layoff is likely, but if I was, I should be able to find work elsewhere with my experience.

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
If anything you actually want to raise it
wouldn't that only be true if you are sure you will keep your job?
The market is likely to continue trending downward for a while and if you lose your job and have to pull from the 401k to cover your costs wouldn't you likely lose a lot then (both from the market going down and fees for pulling money out of your 401k early)?

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
The market is likely to continue trending downward for a while and if you lose your job and have to pull from the 401k to cover your costs wouldn't you likely lose a lot then (both from the market going down and fees for pulling money out of your 401k early)?
You really should have an emergency fund to dip into before increasing 401k contributions. Question is, how months of expenses is prudent in a recession (or possible depression)? 6? 12? 18?

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I currently have over a year's salary liquid. So I can live off savings for a while if worst comes to worst (hence why I bumped my 401k contribution way up about a month ago).

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You really should have an emergency fund to dip into before increasing 401k contributions. Question is, how months of expenses is prudent in a recession (or possible depression)? 6? 12? 18?
Very true. I know I personally keep a decent emergency fund around but I know not everyone does.
I currently have over a year's salary liquid. So I can live off savings for a while if worst comes to worst (hence why I bumped my 401k contribution way up about a month ago).
ah in that case go with jstevenson's advice. The market will likely go down more but it will eventually recover. You could put less into your 401k and try to time the market, but in the long run it won't make a huge difference, and it will just stress you out. Besides, we can't be sure where the bottom is (Aside from given the current situation it is likely below where it currently is)

Mar 29, 2018
It drops considerably this week and next and shit gets real bad, in which case as a society we probably have way bigger problems.
This is the scenario. We're crawling down the tip of this outbreak's iceberg right now.

90% of the 2019-nCoV transmissions have so far occurred within a certain range of temperature (3 to 17C)
I'm confused by this first part. It's spreading a lot in the south of Spain where the temperature is 17C at the minimum, average around 20.

Perhaps that's still only 6% of cases, though.

Very true. I know I personally keep a decent emergency fund around but I know not everyone does.
Yeah, most of the planet lives hand-to-mouth, month-to-month and indeed along or beneath the poverty line. In the USA the first two are true.

Last edited:

dean_rcg

Oct 27, 2017
FTSE down over 4 here, not surprising given our escalating numbers plus all the footage of thousands of muppets going to the beach and parks over the weekend, recipe for disaster.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Cruise lines barely employ Americans, barely pay American taxes, and output carbon up to the equivalent of 1 million cars per ship at a time.

Fuck 'em.

They're a shitty dinosaur.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah, like I understand trying to preserve airlines as a vital element in modern society, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would care if cruise liners stop being a thing.

Ain't nobody out there proposing bailouts for luxury zeppelins.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, like I understand trying to preserve airlines as a vital element in modern society, but I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would care if cruise liners stop being a thing.

Ain't nobody out there proposing bailouts for luxury zeppelins.

It's especially odd, as I imagine a large portion of the cruise industry isn't even American workers.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
twitter.com

Bruno Le Maire on Twitter

“Conférence téléphonique #G20 : confirmation de l’impact économique violent de la crise sanitaire sur la croissance mondiale, soutien financier aux pays en développement, préparation d’une stratégie commune de sortie de crise. #cooperationinternationale”

About time there was a uniform economic strategy but at least the G20 finance ministers have now agreed on this. Have to see what exactly their common strategy is.

Uncoordinated individual strategies isn't good enough in an interconnected global economy.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Unlimited QE lol. Is Trump expected to speak today (to tank the market again)? I could really use one positive day haha.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Unlimited QE lol. Is Trump expected to speak today (to tank the market again)? I could really use one positive day haha.
Can someone explain how this would work? I mean throwing money at corporations is not going to reduce the effects of the infection on the workforce, right? So what is this doing? Just a breathless gasp of desperation to tell big companies that the US government won't let them go under?

Like this is all reactionary at this position my, and if the workforce is so devastated, how is the economy going to come roaring back in a couple of weeks?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump to start printing more money but specifically thousand dollar bills with his face on them that he'll send out to every American. What could go wrong.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Can someone explain how this would work? I mean throwing money at corporations is not going to reduce the effects of the infection on the workforce, right? So what is this doing? Just a breathless gasp of desperation to tell big companies that the US government won't let them go under?

Very basically, it's allowing financial institutions to remain liquid which insures, among other things, they can continue lending out to businesses who need that money to pay employees.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.
The reason you can just do massive deficit spending at the start of a recession is because when the velocity of money goes down, it's a gigantic reduction in the effective supply of currency. (literal amount of money out there X rate at which money is circulating = effective money supply)Thus, to maintain that supply, you pump money in the system to get the blood pressure up. But when the economy starts recovering, you have to pull that money back out to maintain parity.

Oct 25, 2017
So it's pretty much all over at this point? Markets will be gone soon, no one will have jobs, food supply runs out, looting/riots begin, and then the country is going to collapse? Everywhere I look all I hear is.. "it's gonna get worse".

I'll just keep averaging down at this point. If the county collapses then money won't mean anything. If we some how bounce back then I'll have something to gain for hope at retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.