• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How are we looking for the opening minutes?

giphy.gif

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
I can see real estate prices falling, but without a job market to prop up a housing market...

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Time to get those circuit breakers hit again tomorrow unless we get some massive turnaround overnight.

Mar 3, 2019
As time goes on, the benefits of the shutdown halting the spread is going to be harder and harder to justify. Completely destroying the world economy vs saving a percentage of lives is going to be a tough decision.

EDebs1916

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As time goes on, the benefits of the shutdown halting the spread is going to be harder and harder to justify. Completely destroying the world economy vs saving a percentage of lives is going to be a tough decision.

How do you know that simply letting it spread, taxing the healthcare industry far beyond capacity and letting millions die 'more quickly' wouldn't have had the same ultimate impact on the economy?

OP
OP

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Oh. I thought the US issues weekly reports
Jobless claims is a weekly report. With how it's reported I dont think that report really paints a full picture so the unemployment number on the first friday is typically a lot more important. I should say though that any number are going to be scrutinized right now.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
And I really doubt its the worst either. If we don't handle it properly or immunity doesn't last as long as we think and end up having waves of deaths all year when we relax restrictions I'm pretty sure traditional retail is dead and buried.
Maybe we could both agree that Fed members shouldn't be going out there publicly talking about any potential outcomes, good or bad, with such specificity right now given the incredible amount of fluidity in the situation.

Their job right now is to keep things running as smoothly as possible and some of that involves doing things quietly. Panicking people by publicizing your internal scenarios makes that job harder. You can still stress how bad it is without being as specific. Save that for the government agencies that are working on the problem.

Ecotic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When the futures limit down you can use the futures of other indexes that don't shut off as a proxy for how the U.S. futures would still be moving. They're correlated enough to still give useful information. For instance I'm looking at the Nikkei futures which are down 7% to see what the S&P futures would be like if they weren't halted.

Mar 29, 2018
Maybe we could both agree that Fed members shouldn't be going out there publicly talking about any potential outcomes, good or bad, with such specificity right now given the incredible amount of fluidity in the situation.

Their job right now is to keep things running as smoothly as possible and some of that involves doing things quietly. Panicking people by publicizing your internal scenarios makes that job harder. You can still stress how bad it is without being as specific. Save that for the government agencies that are working on the problem.
True, but also it's worth discussing outcomes and how we feel those responsible should handle/respond to them.

Mar 3, 2019
How do you know that simply letting it spread, taxing the healthcare industry far beyond capacity and letting millions die 'more quickly' wouldn't have had the same ultimate impact on the economy?

I don't and neither do you, that's my point. Its a tough decision the government will have to make. The economic repurcussions could be just as deadly or more so as the actual virus.

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Ugh...I don't know anything about investing. All I have is a decent savings account, but I have no idea what to do with it. Should I withdraw most of it and put it under my mattress? Invest most of it in the market? I'm scared and clueless (not a good combination).

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Insured if a brokerage firm goes under....that's a different question. There is no protection against losses in the market place

I thought the question was just a regular bank savings account. If you have sold everything and are not interested in investing any time soon, maybe move it back into your regular bank account?

Status
Not open for further replies.